Report: A&M declines Pac-10's offer; Pac-10 commish heading to Kansas City

10:50 p.m. Update:

It doesn't appear as if Larry Scott's plane is coming to KCI tonight. Keegan and I have been at the private plane terminal for the past hour and there is no sign of Scott or the plane.

The guys behind the desk said that the flight had been taken off the schedule, which is common and typically means the flight never took off.

There's a chance the plane could have been diverted to Lawrence or Topeka but as of now there was no word on whether that was the case.

9:41 p.m. Update

We just arrived at the airport. A couple other media organizations here as well. Stay tuned.

No plane on the ground yet.

9:26 p.m. Update

Tom and I are on 435-North heading to the airport. About 25 minutes out. He's driving 80 mph to get us there in time and we're listening to Carlos Santana. I'm a fan but judging by the volume levels Tom's a much bigger fan.

Anyway, here's what we've learned while en route. Although the flight tracker web page indicates that the plane has not yet departed, we believe it's in the air because we were told that sometimes the pilots turn those things off and this particular pilot was upset by the presence of media at the Lubbock airport earlier today so he may be trying to avoid another circus at KCI.

Sources have also indicated that Larry Scott is flying to KC tonight expressly to meet with KU AD Lew Perkins.

Stay tuned.

8:56 p.m. Update

Check out our latest episode of the Spodcasters, where Matt Tait, Tom Keegan and Gary Bedore discuss the latest in this whole mess.

6:46 p.m. Update

Here we go again with yet another development regarding Texas A&M.

Reports indicate that the plane that has been carrying Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott on his tour of Texas and Oklahoma will depart for Kansas City, Mo. at 8:10 p.m. Central time tonight.

Could Scott be coming meet with members of the KU athletic department? I'd bet the farm on it.

For those interested in tracking the flight, KUsports.com has obtained the tracking web site, complete with radar screen and this particular plane's flight history. Notice that the plane has been in Austin, Lubbock, College Station, Oklahoma City.

More to come.

6:41 p.m.

While one Rivals site reported that Texas A&M had turned down the Pac-10's invitation, two Texas-based reporters have since sent messages to their Twitter accounts that contradict that report.

Chip Brown, of Orangebloods.com, Tweets: "Source said A&M has not turned down the Pac-10 and denied Orangebloods.com's report to that effect, which cited a Big 12 AD's confirmation."

Billy Liucci, of TexAgs.com, Tweets: "Just received word from two sources that Aggies have NOT turned down Pac-10 and are still weighing P10/SEC option."

Oh my. No clue which one of these — the initial report or the Twitter message — is closer to being correct. Perhaps neither.

More to come.

6:19 p.m.

Well there you go... Texas A&M's Rivals site, Aggieyell.com, is reporting that A&M has rejected the Pac-10's invitation and plans to head to the SEC.

What this does for Kansas is unclear, but it looks like KU will have a shot at the 16th Pac-10 slot or may be headed toward moving forward with eight other Big 12 teams as a revamped Big 12. Under that scenario, of course, with A&M out, the new Big 12, which would have 9 teams, would have to add a 10th. Memphis? Houston?

Again, a lot of the future of the Big 12 hinges on Texas' decision Tuesday. However, A&M bolting is a blow to that scenario, even if just a small one.

Here's the report.

More to come.

3:46 p.m.

We're approaching Sunday evening and things are starting to get quiet. I wouldn't be surprised if we had one or two eye-opening rumors today but it probably won't be more than that.

With that in mind, Tom Keegan and I just discussed where we're at with all of this and came up with the following conclusions. I'll simplify it so you don't have to read through all of the babble. Tom and I are hoping to do a podcast this evening sometime to expand on some of this so keep an eye out for that later tonight.

* What's best for KU?
1. Big 12 stays together - rivalries continue, money grows, everyone's happy
2. Kansas joins Pac-10 - looking better and better if A&M is SEC bound
3. Big 12/Mountain West merger - gaining momentum and not as bad as once believed

* At this point, what's most likely to happen?
1. Big 12 stays together - it's on Texas; if the money's there, they'll stay
2. Big 12/Mountain West merger - MWC would do this today, Big 12 leftovers could do worse
3. Kansas joins Pac-10 - too many things must happen for this to be any higher
4. Kansas engages in discussions with Big East - stay tuned

More to come, as these lists could change and look completely different in a matter of minutes. Check back with KUsports.com throughout the afternoon for the latest and later tonight for the podcast.

2:41 p.m.

Bleacher Report's Josh Bennett has an interesting piece on why the Pac-10 will go to 16, why Utah is the perfect fit and why Utah to the Pac-10 is a done deal. To call this interesting is putting it mildly.

This much we can conclude... if Utah's going to the Pac-10 as the 16th school, the four Big 12 south schools are headed west and A&M is headed to the SEC.

All of this — and, really, any of it — is far, far, far from a done deal but this is just another interesting take.

More to come.

2:12 p.m.:

A television report from KTBS in Texarkana, Ark., indicated Saturday night that Oklahoma quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel had some news on the Sooners' future.

Prior to a banquet dinner, Heupel told a television reporter that he had no idea where OU was headed and that he, along with coaches across the country, was interested in finding out sooner rather than later.

Then, during that same banquet, the emcee put Heupel on the spot in front of everyone, at which point, according to KTBS, Heupel responded with, "Funny you should ask, I just got a text from our running backs coach that said, 'We're going to the SEC West.'"

No idea why Heupel would change his tune so quickly if that text did not actually come. However, it's hard to imagine that this thing is a done deal.

If it is, however, A&M and OU could be headed to the SEC West, which would almost certainly inspire Texas to head to the Pac-10, likely with Kansas in tow.

Crazy stuff.

More to come.

1:51 p.m.

Not a lot happening in the last hour or so, so here's a column from ESPN that discusses the whole realignment topic with a former SEC commissioner.

It's been up for a couple of days but in case you missed it it's a good read.

While we're chasing rumors and obsessing over speculation, it's important to remember that there are some pretty smart people out there with general opinions on this whole thing, good or bad.

12:09 p.m.

Here's another good one from Chip Brown that addresses nearly every issue impacting the Texas schools and their decision to go Pac-10, SEC or Big 12.

Among the things it says: SEC still trying to woo OU; A&M appears committed to the SEC; Despite well-intentioned efforts by Texas law makers, it may be too late to stop the momentum.

More to come.

11:43 a.m.

Hold the phone. Chip Brown, of orangebloods.com, is reporting that Dan Beebe's efforts to speed up the renegotiations of the Big 12's television contracts may be working.

Brown said that three sources at Big 12 schools have indicated that the potential TV deal would be on par with what the SEC offers — $17 million per school annually — and that could entice the remaining 10 to stay together and move forward as the Big 12, potentially as just 10 or by adding two teams... maybe Memphis?

I've mentioned this before, but Brown's reports largely have been right on the money throughout this entire fiasco. One source told me that Brown has the best source in the nation, though I'm not sure who that could be with this being such a wide-ranging issue. Still, it's worth noting that this could be a serious possibility.

Brown points out that Orangebloods.com was told by a top source: "The winds to keep the Big 12 together with 10 teams are getting stronger."

Also still in the realm of possibilities is KU to the Pac-10. This concept has grown hot and cold faster than you can blink during the past few days, but at least one report has it leaning towards hot again. It indicates that KU has moved firmly ahead of Utah as the school that would join the Pac-10 in place of Texas A&M should the Aggies hold out and/or bolt for the SEC.

Crazy stuff for a Sunday. More to come, I'm sure.

10:19 a.m.

Good morning, it's time for another round of realignment fun.

So far things have been pretty quiet, but I thought I'd start the day off with a couple of quick notes.

For starters, a report has surfaced that FedEx may be willing to pay a BCS league $10 million to add Memphis. If there's any truth to that, this shouldn't be a hard sell. Good market, great basketball program and a good city.

At this point, I'm guessing there might be a major race to land Memphis, anywhere from the SEC and ACC to the Big Ten and possible revamped Big 12.

Speaking of the Big 12, KUsports.com confirmed reports of a Saturday meeting between the five Big 12 schools that would remain should the five south schools bolt as we expect.

Sources told me late Saturday that there could then be a movement to absorb the Mountain West into the Big 12 and move forward under the Big 12 name with new teams. Adding the Mountain West's 10 schools to the five remaining Big 12 teams — KU, K-State, Missouri, Iowa State and Baylor — would give the league 15 teams. One source told me that Houston or SMU could be the 16th team, but with this Memphis news surfacing that might become a better direction to go.

For those who don't know, here's a list of the Mountain West schools:

Air Force
Wyoming
Boise State
TCU
San Diego State
New Mexico
UNLV
Colorado State
Utah
BYU

More to come as the day moves forward. Right now, I gotta go mow the yard before the rain hits Lawrence.

Comments

billhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

I personally like the idea of a revamped Big 12 (16). I would think we would get rid of Air Force though and add Memphis & Houston.

I'm sure the first choice is PAC-10, but a revamped Big-12 (still a BCS conference) would offer some keeping our best old & exciting new rivalries.

shimjhawk2002 4 years, 6 months ago

Why would all those MWC teams dump one of their own in Air Force. If the merger happens and they add other teams other than Memphis it'll be a bigger than 16 team conference.

billhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Air Force is a GREAT university, they just seem like an outlier for building a powerful BCS conference. Most of these schools, including KU, have around 20-30,000 students. Air Force has 4,500. That's just one example of course. Its not about keeping anyone's schools, its about making the best BCS conference we can with the options we have, and just like the PAC-10 & Big-10, that means some will get left out.

Steve Brown 4 years, 6 months ago

if you have ever been in col. springs you would not dump AForce, maybe dump SanD. as who needs to fly to Calif. on a charter with Longhorns headed to USC...keep our central and mtn. time zone schools.

Ozarkhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

If orangebloods is correct and Beebe can renegotiate the TV contract and get each school up to $17 million (equivolent to the SEC) why don't we stick with the 10 and look at adding Arkansas and LSU. If the money is the same I would think that they would be more connected to the Big 12 schools than the eastern division of the SEC

Bill McCollum 4 years, 6 months ago

While I would like for the heart of the Big 12 to remain, changes must be made. I now have little or no faith in our neighbors. Mizzou will bolt at the first shiny nickel offered, and Texas teams (less Baylor) have shown they can not be trusted. Any possible scenario of revamping of the Big 12 must include strong commitments to stick with the conference and value trust, honor, commitment, and tradition. Those words make good script for commercials, but we have clearly seen those words mean nothing in Missouri, Nebraska and Colorado. Next week we will see what they mean in Oklahoma and Texas.

shimjhawk2002 4 years, 6 months ago

Matt I posted this elsewhere but doubt you have time to read back through all the posts so here it is again:

Matt, thanks for looking into the Big East angle. I honestly think that'd be a better option for KU than the MWC. Nothing against the mountain west and the proposed conference would be all right, but I think we all know our bread and butter is in baskeball and this would not be a basketball conference.

When you do talk to your sources about the Big East, could you also find out the (1) TV deals/expirations/potential as this seems to be the major driver in all this and (2) stability of the league if other conferences come a knockin.

By the way Matt, so much for taking the weekend off to rest I guess? Thank you for all of the updates especially since its the weekend!

Matt Tait 4 years, 6 months ago

Thanks. I try to read all of the posts and may have read yours, but, at this point, things tend to blend together. So many places are reporting so many of the same things. It's pretty crazy.

Christopher Hauser 4 years, 6 months ago

???? How exactly would this league benifit the University of Kansas basketball wise? I know this thing is driven by football but I think the best move for the University of Kansas if the South schools bolt like it looks like they will is to get out while we can. Anyone else have a thought on this?

shimjhawk2002 4 years, 6 months ago

I totally agree with you. I think the best move for us would be the Big East. We are a basketball school and how better to promote our program other than the Big East. In a perfect world I say done deal, but the question is how viable is the Big East. Will it get raided and not be the same conference as it looks now. If you could guarantee the Big East will look fairly similar as to how it looks now then no way we could turn down the Big East.

Christopher Hauser 4 years, 6 months ago

I know a lot of people on here don't like Lew Perkins but I hope that he finds us a better deal than this. If he wants his legacy as AD at KU to be less tarnished than it is then he needs to hit a home run for us.

shimjhawk2002 4 years, 6 months ago

If you're referring to the Big East as a bad scenario because of the instability, then you've got a good argument. But otherwise how is it worse than any other options?

Christopher Hauser 4 years, 6 months ago

I meant a better deal than a merger with the MWc. Sorry, I should have been more specific. The Big East, already a great basketball conference would be just sick if we were added.

shimjhawk2002 4 years, 6 months ago

oh my fault, thought you were talking about Big East.......couldn't agree with you more then.

CaramelMacchMan 4 years, 6 months ago

We ARE Kansas! The Kansas.. MWC does not fit the equation. I want my Basketball program at a high level and Big East or ACC the last place i would stop at. Anything bellow I would have a problem with AD and Little.

rpjonesga 4 years, 6 months ago

While staying in a BCS conference must be the primary goal, can anyone really say with a straight face that playing with the likes of the Air Force, SD State and Wyoming isn't a huge step down for KU? I would much rather land in any of the other conferences.

Hank Cross 4 years, 6 months ago

If it comes down to the MW+Memphis, keep AFA. We've had enough of TX and it keeps ths academics up. If this happens, we need to start branding ourselves as a "mountain time zone school" (I know it sounds crazy, but we are on Mr. Oread, aren't we?) The Mountain Time Zone is the fastest growing part of the country. The Rust Belt, dying, mid-west the same, nobody likes the South, except southerners, CA overcrowded and drowning in debt.

I say again, watch what happens when the census comes out. Idaho has better future than Indiana or Iowa. Although I prefer the BE option, to say nothing of the P16, being in on the ground floor of the place where the USA will growing won't be the end of the world.

Christopher Hauser 4 years, 6 months ago

I agree, adding these teams would be detramental to our future including keeping a basketball coach happy.

billhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Few are disputing we would like to go to another BCS conference at this point. The question is what do we do if we don't get an invitation...

Christopher Hauser 4 years, 6 months ago

Find our Fed-X or T Boone Pickens to sweeten the deal, If we have one.

richter3 4 years, 6 months ago

Great job on the updates Matt. Keep it up.

Andrew Moore 4 years, 6 months ago

I'd like to see the big 12 add TCU and Memphis

TCU beefs up football to replace nebraska

Memphis would be a huge upgrade in basketball and is on par with the Buffs in football.

I really like that idea! Hope it works out... however unlikely

shimjhawk2002 4 years, 6 months ago

i agree, stick together and add memphis and fedex seems best offer on the table if viable.

Christopher Hauser 4 years, 6 months ago

"Just" loosing Nebraska and Colorado out of this ordeal would be a dream come true. I would love nothing more then to see the remaing 10 stay together adding a TCU and Memphis. I still think that we need to find new leadership in the Big 12 front office or we may be doomed to fail again. I take it that Beebe is more of a reactive type of person than proactive. I know it is not all his fault but his lack of leadership in bringing all of the schools to the table and getting things done in the past makes me think the same thing will happen again in the future.

Jeff Kilgore 4 years, 6 months ago

I feel like a weenie following all these reports, Matt. Keep them coming.

Who would have thought that the Big 12 had any hopes of staying alive? If the TV numbers are true, then why not stay if you're Texas?

But I still believe that the Texas teams will bolt, and if both OU and A&M head to the SEC, then the 12 as we know it is mortally wounded.

I would welcome both TCU and Memphis to the conference if things remain the same. I would love a Pac 10 invite. I am also intrigued by the Mountain West. All of these look better than nothing. So I must be becoming schizophrenic!

I'm not sold on the Big East--that looks desperate to me.

rob4lb 4 years, 6 months ago

I live in Houston and have mentioned this before but the reaction down here to A&M wanted to break off from UT is very amusing. A&M is very much in favor of the move to SEC. The UT fans act appalled that A&M would even consider not following them to the Pac-10. Both are great schools and the flagship universities of the state, but they are culturally very different- it is like KU and KSU differences magnified by 100 times. If you are interested in a more detailed perspective, read Richard Justice's column http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/texas/7050282.html.

The more I read about this, the most I think it would be great to part ways with UT.

Steve Brown 4 years, 6 months ago

YOu are so very right, while I live in KC 80% of my biz is in Tex and the aggies can.t stomach the longhorns and for the most part would love to get in another boat and sail upstream w.out texas... divde and conquer for us.

TCU + HOuston + Big 12 remnants + some Mtn. West not so bad....

armchaircowboy 4 years, 6 months ago

It's been interesting watching this shake out and more than a little fun watching the Longhorms get played like a Texas fiddle by Nebraska and A&M. First, the Corn make a last-ditch attempt to save the Big 12, but Texas must agree to drop their idea of their own network and agree to share media revenue equally. As we all know, Texas shuns this idea and the dominoes start to fall.

Colorado makes a pre-emptive strike in an agreement with the PAC 1X to keep Texas from dragging Baylor along for the ride. Nebraska bolts for the Big 10. You don't hear much out of College Station, other than their desire to keep the league intact. But, they have two aces in their back pocket. Both the PAC 1X and the SEC want them. The leaders at A&M are torn because the SEC is a better fit culturally, better athletically, has a better TV deal and is cheaper to travel to. The only downsides are the tougher competition (football-wise) and the perception of being weaker academically. Texas uses the academic card as their reasoning for not joining the SEC, which is really a red herring, because UGA, Alabama, Florida and Vandy are all higher ranking institutions overall, if not in research.

A&M listens to the SEC pitch and starts to warm to the idea, driven in large part by Gene Stallings, who is an A&M alum, regent and former coach at Bama (1 natl championship). Texas counters by telling A&M that they won't schedule them in sports if they don't follow them to the West Coast. This gambit backfires because A&M knows that the respective fanbases will never allow that. Texas fans would still have the RRS with OU every year, but other than that, there's a parade of patsies coming to Austin, with the exception of USC, which will be down following last week's sanctions. Meanwhile, Kyle Field is rocking week after week with LSU, Georgia, Florida et al coming in. Texas fans will eventually force the admin to reschedule the Ags.

In my opinion, Texas' hubris took down the Big 12 and the Hawks are better off without them. However, if A&M pulls the unthinkable and moves to the SEC, that may open up a spot in the PAC 1X for KU. This new league will not allow Texas to run roughshod all over it, as the power base will remain in SoCal.

When this saga started, Texas was holding all the cards, but they were in a game of Hold 'Em and thought they were playing "Go Fish".

Joel Hood 4 years, 6 months ago

Even though both AG schools hate their LAS counterparts, the big difference is that aTm can stand apart from UT in the SEC. Although the mildcats hate KU, they know that they will never join a BCS confrence unless they are somehow tied to KU. The SEC wants aTm without the UT leash. The mildcats know they need the leash to KU to join one of the big four confereces that are about to emerge.

Steve Brown 4 years, 6 months ago

Listen if the Pac 10 and the Big 10 get to cherry pick the teams out of our league then certainly we get to cherry pick the MWC conf. to select TCU and the other ones we want to keep.

Revamp Big 12, keep BCS keep basically central and mtn. time zone, add MEMPHIS, maybe Houston, it is sounding sweeter all the time, it is called Big 12 and our football would rock ( I still say kick out Texas whether they have change of heart or not.)

three years from now, Huskers happy, Buffalos happy, and half of Texas so sad to fly to Oregon for a game when we are playing in TCU Fort Worth at 1pm central time.

Be careful what you wish for, mr rose bowl longhorn...

Thomas Michaud 4 years, 6 months ago

Not to say that the B12 will remain, but would Baylor really go for adding TCU? It seems there's a lot of bad blood between the two ... Although you'd think the Christian Universities would just learn to "turn the other cheek". It's already been stated by TCU that they would NOT want Baylor in the MWC; what's to say that Baylor wouldn't say the same about bringing in TCU? Living up in Michigan, I can say that I'd be lucky to ever see a KU game again, if they're in the PAC10+ ... Doubtful that the SEC would really give KU a serious look, the Big East would help TV wise for the "East Coast bias" media and recruiting for the East ... ACC no deal (can't see that happening). The benefit of the B12 (if the South succeeds from the Union and the MWC (in some form) is merged) allows the Jayhawks to pretty much dominate in basketball (with west-coast recruiting, along with Texas) and becomes more competitive in Football (we might actually get to finish first in a league!). Why is are so many intent on following Texas out west? We become a punching bag in football (USC, UCLA, Oregon, Texas, OU, OSU, etc., etc.,) and while the basketball gets more competition (somewhat ... really the PAC 10 is SO great in basketball right now??) it becomes one of 16 teams that is rarely ever seen on TV any longer (how often do you watch PAC 10 basketball ... seriously?!?!) ... I'd still rather see KU vs. MU (Football/Basketball), KU vs. KSU (Football/Basketball), KU vs. Baylor (Basketball), KU vs. ISU (BB/FB), KU vs Boise St. (FB), KU vs. UNLV (BB), KU vs. BYU (FB/BB), KU vs. Utah (FB/BB) (or even trying to get Houston or Memphis) ... Much more competitive ... certainly the $$ may not be as HUGE as the PAC conglomerate, but visibility, competitiveness, and rivalry is at the heart of COLLEGE athletics ... I LOVED seeing TCU rip Texas the other day in the College World Series nearly as much as I loved it when Boise beat OU in football a few years back. Give me a great COLLEGE team that can beat a money grubbing/ego strutting U like Texas, OU, UCLA, USC, etc. But, for those wanting to continue to end up at the bottom of football barrel and limited basketball TV coverage against the PAC10+, have fun! Personally, I'd like to see KU actually LIFT UP some great Universities from the MWC than be drawn DOWN into the PAC10 cellar.

Annette Lee 4 years, 6 months ago

I have wish list for the new heartland conference. north div. KU MU IA ISA KSU LOU OU OSU.... SO. div. BAY HOU TCU MEMPH TEX TTECH TAM ARK..THERE U GO. Heartland 16!!!!

lv_jhwk 4 years, 6 months ago

So is the corporate offer tied to Memphis' inclusion in a conference really that simple and straightforward? Or will we also perhaps have to become used to hearing about the FedEx Big 12 Conference?

aerohawk 4 years, 6 months ago

If they made it $10 million per year I might be able to live with that title.

rob4lb 4 years, 6 months ago

Cherry picking the MWC to resurrect the Big 12 would only work if some of the cornerstone programs in the Big 12 (OU or UT) remain. Without them, you have the mediocre programs from the Big 12 combined with so good programs in small media markets. It doesn't bode well for a lucrative TV deal even if it gets a BCS slot.

Also, just because teams like TCU, Baylor and Houston are in Texas, they are not as valuable of a commodity as UT, A&M and Tech. In Houston, the stadium is never full unless a Big 12 comes to town (and the stadium isn't that big). Academically, UH is not bad. They athletic department came out with a plan to upgrade facilities, but it will always be a notch or two below UT, A&M and Tech even if they beat them on occasion.

jhox 4 years, 6 months ago

If the Big 12 stays together, minus the two defectors, that would be great. If that fails to happen, we Jayhawk fans need to pray that A&M and / or OU go to the SEC. Not just because it opens up the possibility of the Pac 10 opening up for us, but also because it would likely mean the SEC would also try to grab a couple of ACC teams. KU and KSU would be good fits for a revamped ACC. Perhaps even MU. The travel wouldn't be much worse than the current situation...Like Scott Pollard said, planes are fast. It would just enhance our ability to recruit the East Coast in basketball.

If we're going to play a lot of games on one of the coasts, the East coast games on TV would be more fan friendly. I'd much rather watch games starting at 6:00 or 7:00pm central time than 10:00 pm central time. So come on, A&M, get out of Big Brother Texas' shadow and do your own thing.

The SEC would still make the most sense, for both Kansas and the SEC. Unfortunately, the SEC is apparently too blinded by football to see that. The SEC adding KU would add a lot to their basketball reputation, and annual games between KU - UK, KU -Tennessee, KU- Florida, etc. would be very big TV draws for basketball.

Fletcher Anderson 4 years, 6 months ago

If the Big 12 stays together we should get out. We all know MU will leave in a heartbeat and if we can find a way for an opportunity from the PAC 10 to become the 12th team than let’s get out while we can. The PAC 10 would love to have 12 teams and they would be a stronger league with KU hoops. What happens when the SEC comes after OU, OSU and Texas A&M. We need to get out while the door is knocking.

rob4lb 4 years, 6 months ago

Windycity-

I agree with you. If the conference remains intact, the trust level between the school will probably never recover. I sense that if offered, we will take an invitation to the Pac-10. I'm not sure that will be the best for us. The SEC would be a more stable proposition, but we could never compete in football.

I know I am delusional, but I would think if the Big 10 goes to 16 teams, they would pick ND and two teams on the East Coast, leaving a slot for one more team. That would probably go to MU, but KU could be a candidate for that slot.

Realizing that is a pipe dream, if there could be a guarantee of stability, an expanded Big East with the remaining B12 north schools that is in the backyard of the east coast media centers and focuses on being the premiere basketball conference would seem to be ideal for KU.

SoCalAlum 4 years, 6 months ago

RE: the Josh Bennett article about Utah to the Pac-10...it's difficult considering a scenario in which Utah leaves BYU behind (because of their LDS connections) and just as difficult to figure that Stanford/Cal would take BYU into Pac-10, if that's what it would take to get Utah.

rob4lb 4 years, 6 months ago

I don't there is as close of a tie between Utah and BYU as you think. All of these assumed interstate links seem to be more speculation. It clear, in Texas, that A&M and UT are not linked. The governor has said that he will leave it up to each university to determine what is best for their schools. KU and K-State are also not linked even though there is a perception they are. I'm sure that has already been pointed out to anyone who is negotiating with either school as possible conference member.

utahjayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Enough with this perception that Utah and BYU are joined at the hip.........that's not true at all.

hawk316 4 years, 6 months ago

I love the idea of a new Big XII! Let's show those other conferences that we're not that easy.

I posted this (with editing) elsewhere, but I wanted to reiterate..

Matt, many thanks to you, Tom and the rest of the LJW staff for taking so much time to run down this information. You guys must be putting in a lot of extra hours to keep us informed, and I, for one, appreciate it very much.

Several months ago I read somewhere something written by a Christian minister that the year 2010 was going to be a year of change (obviously, every year experiences change, but the implication was that we were going to see very significant change). We have certainly seen incredible change in the political realm, in the economic realm, in the natural realm (earthquakes, volcano, oil leak, etc), and now we're seeing it even in the sports world! Amazing.

FLJHK 4 years, 6 months ago

The guy writing that Utah to the Pac 10 is a done deal earlier wrote that MU to the Big 10 was certain and that there was no way Colorado would get a Pac 10 invite. Obviously, it's anyone's guess right now but this guy's credibility hardly inspires confidence.

Ozarkace68 4 years, 6 months ago

I think of all the possibilities and find a positive slant on many. Then I think something makes sense and realize it may make sense, but it may not make dollars and cents. I would like to believe that the Big XII-2 Commissioner really has a plan and that the 5 outsiders (KU, KSU, MU, ISU, BU) are going on the offensive in a positive way. That is what I hope.
Then I think of one of the seemingly endless stream of articles I have read in the last couple of weeks that said the key is who do you trust? I don't know. I certainly don't trust former Big XII Commissioner Kevin Weiberg. He gets my vote as poster boy for the money trumps tradition and wisdom crowd in intercollegiate athletics.
Usually I come back to a quote of George Gobel made on the Tonight Show several years ago. "Did you ever feel like the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?" I would like to think we are preparing to kick off the shoes and getting ready to dance.

Milhawkee 4 years, 6 months ago

I think the Big XII should stay together and add Memphis and Arkansas to be 12 again.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 6 months ago

Keep the current Big 12 teams and add Memphis and Louisville .. the Big East is going to collapse. Arkansas isn't leaving the SEC (don't know why they would).

OCJHAWK 4 years, 6 months ago

If so, we need to Kick out MU for starting this dang thing

rob4lb 4 years, 6 months ago

The LJW has been the best source of updated information as I have followed the developments over the weekend. Good job Matt and Tom. There is a lot to digest and it should be interesting over the next several days.

rob4lb 4 years, 6 months ago

I don't what I think about saving the Big 12. When a partnership is formed (and that is what a conference is), there needs to be a foundation of trust between all of the partners. Will that happen if the Big 12 cobs together an agreement to stay viable? I can't see it happening. I know Texas is the king of the hill, but I think they can see power slipping away. What if OU and A&M says we are going to the SEC? Now, UT is looking at bringing Tech, OSU, (and CU) with them to the Pac-10. That is hardly a sexy trio!! All of the sudden, that lucrative TV deal isn't as lucrative. With USC weaken, winning the PAC-10/16 will not impress anyone. WOW- UT beat Oregon to go the Rose Bowl!! That's going to impress the SEC schools!!

I read reports that this new deal gives UT everything it wants (permission to form its own network, probably further disproportionate revenue, etc.) . I would hope that the other schools would demand some equity if the Big 12 is saved, but I fear they will cower and bow down to the esteemed Orangebloods,

Torisen 4 years, 6 months ago

So, since 2000, the MWC has apparently won 7 games and lost 7 games against the SEC. On the football side, they wouldn't be a bad choice. I just think it's bad for KU because the school's reputation is all about basketball, and unlike almost any other university with a football program, basketball is still the big revenue generator, and I can't see there being much national excitement for games against the MWC.

Oh, and for those talking about a renamed conference - there's already a Big West conference, consting mostly of the big UC schools and CSU schools that aren't in the PAC 10 (the ones who don't play football).

Randy Bombardier 4 years, 6 months ago

I have been watching all this with a sense of wonderment at how a conference with Texas and OU in Football can be so panicked all of a sudden. This is a media creation. I say build on what we have which is terrific, add TCU (Make a great rivalry now with Baylor) to replace Colorado, try wooing Arkansas to replace Nebraska and FedEx Memphis to replace Missouri. Yeah, I know, they have not left yet. So?

Randy Bombardier 4 years, 6 months ago

I do NOT think that the Big 12 should cower to texas though. No way. They should feel a sense of shame if they hold the conference hostage. If they don't now, they will. Perhaps NU would come back if they would leave. Anyone care to ask the Huskers?

Milhawkee 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm not signing up for a free trial to read that.

Matt Tait 4 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, sorry, I forgot some of you can't access those. That's why I'm trying to paraphrase whenever possible. For those, who do have Rivals accounts, though, I wanted to make them available.

We've got you covered at KUsports.com, though, for the latest as this crazy story gets crazier.

Chris Bailey 4 years, 6 months ago

WOW Matt,

This is crazy! I can't imagine how much you guys are hearing as all this comes off the wire! I really hope we go to the Pac-10! A week ago I was worried we'd be left out in the cold! I can't imagine the great basketball we'd see! And why can't we continue to play Kstate in the border showdown just earlier in the year. Iowa/Iowa State border showdown... I'll be waiting on your every post hoping for more good, nah GREAT news! Will the board of regents allow us to leave Kstate though?

collegebb 4 years, 6 months ago

Would KU be bold enough to accept an offer before the Texas meetings this week? Does this confirm their choice of Kansas over Utah?

Matt Tait 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm not sure if KU would, but I absolutely think it should. I mentioned in this blog on Friday that the best thing for KU to do would be to beat the Texas schools to the punch by becoming the second team into the Pac-10 with an announcement Monday instead of the last one in with an announcement later in the week.

It would sure seem awfully quick if that goes down now, but it may beat the alternative.

As for this meaning KU's the choice over Utah.... I'm not sure it definitively indicates that but it doesn't hurt.

Kent Wells 4 years, 6 months ago

Well, if we are trying to keep the XII at X, then doesn't it make sense to stop the insanity? I mean if KU bolts to the Pac 1X, doesn't it make us (KU) as bad as CU, NU (and Missery, the one that essentially started it all)??? If we don't budge, we still keep whatever remains of the XII-x and merge and form a pretty slick new conference. If KU leaves, it is all about greed. Just like the others.

If we jump first, arent we saying the same thing. I mean Screw KSU and MU, but at some point, it is only fun saying that if they are still around to beat their asses. I mean, Screw Wyoming? And isn't it unpatriotic to want to beat Air Force? Id love to go to sunny San Diego for the conference basketball post season tourney. Denver wouldn't be so bad either. Of course, it should remain in KC!

FLJHK 4 years, 6 months ago

You'd think that in the context of recent history, none of this would even be happening. The dot.com implosion, the mortgage/Wall Street fueled economic collapse, and the gulf drilling catastrophe were in reality simply fueled by one thing: greed.

One would hope that the world of academia would somehow be above that fray. But no. Academic credibility as well as research dollars and institutional relationships are tied to the perceived quality of college football teams and the number of television viewers a certain university might generate. How sick.

Some universities simply become collateral damage in this equation.

All that being said, if KU is remarkably afforded the opportunity for Pac xx membership, we would simply have to accept. Affiliations with such institutions as Cal Berkeley, Stanford, UT (hold your nose), and multiple others is just too good to pass up. It is not the fit that the Big 10/12/16 would be, but that option is clearly not imminent. (The ideal Big 10/12/16 would add KU, MU, ISU and Notre Dame).

If indeed it is A&M's choice to go SEC, that says as much about them as one would ever need to know. There are two excellent universities in the SEC: Florida and Vanderbilt. But boy that conference sure knows how to play football, and really what else do you want from a university?

Clearly, KU has to play the game and try to land in the best possible scenario, but I, for one, am sickened and terribly saddened by the whole situation.

Pbbut 4 years, 6 months ago

FLJHK-I'm with you 100%. I want the best possible situation for the school, but unless the game is played strictly for the television, and who would watch that, I see these conferences actually shrinking geographically in the future, but when is that? Football is incredibly expensive to support, and now you're throwing in 2000+ miles road trips to a conference game, somehow the madness has to stop.
All that said, if the PAC10 offers, take it, and worry about tomorrow when it gets here.

sbucks 4 years, 6 months ago

A&M turns down P10, I like it, P10 comish coming to KC, I like that better. Where do I make reservations for the first round ball tournament in the new P16 ?

KUBlue0809 4 years, 6 months ago

If Pac-10 offers, I think we have to accept. Even if the Big XII can continue, it's obviously unstable and vulnerable. Not everyone will stay happy with Texas getting such a big piece of the pie

OldOldHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Exactly correct. And that guy is not flying to KC because he has heard the Plaza is cool..

Chris1955 4 years, 6 months ago

He's going to Arthur Bryants(joke). I think things have brightened considerably in the past 12 hours. Let's hope it continues!

jayhwx3003 4 years, 6 months ago

Maybe he's heading to KC for our world famous BBQ. mmmmmmmm yum...I do want to say thank you to Matt though. You have kept a lot of us glued to our computers with some good info whether it be speculation or whatever. I too agree that if Larry Scott is on his way with an invite, we should accept it as quick as possible. That way some of us can actually sleep without worrying about playing Wyoming every year.

dynamitehawk 4 years, 6 months ago

He's coming to Kansas City because he wants to talk to Dan Glass and Clark Hunt about running excellent sports organizations. Duh.

HawkTronic 4 years, 6 months ago

Best case: Texas, OU, OSU, Tech leave. KU, ISU, KSU, BU (not sure how I feel about MU at this point), cash the $150M check from the departing schools and add the 10 MWC teams. Add Memphis. KU is now are one of the biggest sticks in a BCS conference with a huge geographic reach, solild basketball credentials (Memphis, KU, KSU, Baylor, Utah) and solid football success, ratings and credibility. It would be nice to be in the hunt for a conference title in football and baseball for a change. If we go Pac-10, we are praying for a top half finish in everything but basketball (just sayin'). And basketball gets really tough too.

If we go Pac-10, when do you think we will have a winning football season again? (Hint: In the Pac-16 East, we'd play Texas and OU every year) Nevermind about another BCS trip.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 6 months ago

But this is about, first and foremost, preserving our basketball program, recruiting, and prestige. Football success .. any .. is simply a bonus.

Randy Bombardier 4 years, 6 months ago

Wow, Kudos to LJW. You guys are on top of it. I think under the circumstances our position again should be one of interest, yet hopeful that the Big 12 will hold it together. Unless he says that Texas is for sure, but the others are hedgeing. I would still like to know if NU would like to come back to the conference that has OU but NOT Texas. To me, that question is THE question as to the value of a future Big 12 with some new faces. Having the old OU/NU rivalry once more reinstates much of what has been lost and gives us a very solid conference. I don't think we need Texas at all. I wish everyone would stop saying that we do. If OU would stay without Texas, NU returns, I say invite Iowa, Arkansas, Memphis, and others and take us up a notch, start our own network and become that 4th 16-member super-conference if that is what we have to do. I think it would be so humorous if all this blew up in the face of the PAC10 and CU is all they get. Then, no USC playing for the NCgame for a couple of years. Oregon w/o their star QB. No doubt Stanford will rise to the top this year. They would be about the 4th best football conference this year. Anybody see some panic from the PAC10 in all this?

Torisen 4 years, 6 months ago

There is zero chance that a Big 12 conference could pry any school away from the Big 10, including Nebraska. And about the only way OU and Texas aren't together is if OU goes to the SEC.

KU needs to be in a conference that's going to be a major conference, that will last for a long while, and that has other strong basketball programs. PAC XX fits the bill, but it's not the only choice. Big 12 minus Texas doesn't, nor does the MWC.

Justin LoBurgio 4 years, 6 months ago

I bet it will be Thursday or Friday before we decide for sure. The Texas Board of Regents is meeting on Tuesday, the Oklahoma Board on Wednesday. I do not think we will decide before they do. I am willing to bet we do not want to commit to the Pac 10 and somehow have Texas and Oklahoma decide to stay in the Big XII and invite three more teams. In that case we are traveling to the West Coast for road games with a viable conference in our own back yard.

I am willing to bet that talks between us and the Pac 10 heat up after tonight, when their commish gets to tour our facilities.

Jeff Soisson 4 years, 6 months ago

What is ironic is that two days ago, KU was a lame duck. Now KU, if they accept the PAC10 invite, probably will destroy the big 12. At 9 teams it all starts to fall apart. I live in Austin and went to KU and I told my UT friends that they own this conference and if they want to go to the PAC10 fine, but you'll just be another team there! Let's hope they make the right decision. Lew, wow, you got alot to work on and do your best. I would like to see our 10 add 2 great teams and be the Big 12 again. But don't trust the south teams, they don't care at all about the north. The attitude in the 512 is you suck! I would rather see us (KU) kill the Big 12 than be in the Mountain West so take the PAC10 offer because once A&M sees Texas go to the PAC10, they would reconsider and we could be out. If you are not in a power conference going forward, your university is probably going under.

Chris Bailey 4 years, 6 months ago

Can we leave KState? That is my question? Will the board of regents and or our govenor allow it? Do they go where we go? If so that limits what we can do. If not I agree Sign Tonight Lew! I'm still not against the MWC and us merging but if we can go to the Pac-xx then what a basketball boost that would give them with what they have OU, Texas, KU.... Man that would be a brutal schedule. Football could be a top conference for sure as well!

rob4lb 4 years, 6 months ago

I keep hearing that the Regents prefer that two schools stay together but will not handicap them by forcing them to move as a package. That would be suicide for both schools and, let's face, Kansas (the state) has no power to dictate terms. I live in Texas and all we heard was that UT and A&M had to go to the same conference. That obviously is not the case.

jchief40 4 years, 6 months ago

I wouldn't bet the farm on it just yet there. Rivals says "The catch is the plane has changed flight plans several times." ... not good.

Chris Bailey 4 years, 6 months ago

I cant' see where it has changed plans. Its scheduled to depart for KCI at 8:10 tonight. Maybe I'm missing something I admit I don't spend a lot of time reading flight lists. It looks to me like the there have been several flights on there including all the places Matt mentioned in the post.

jchief40 4 years, 6 months ago

I hope it's legit just letting everyone know what Rivals reports on the KU site.

Kent Wells 4 years, 6 months ago

Check the link that Matt provided and click on "history". You'll see the flight plan has only changed one time and that was a diversion within Texas (from San Marcos to Austin). Not really a big change.

KU08 4 years, 6 months ago

Let's hope bad weather in KC doesn't delay the flight and give A&M more time to change its mind.

This conference realignment story has made me feel kind of pathetic. Like the BP CEO, I want my life back.

jayhawkinATL 4 years, 6 months ago

Hmmmm. Why wouldn't the plane just land at Lawrence Municipal??? I'm assuming that it's a biz jet.

Matt Bowers 4 years, 6 months ago

How about trying not to be to quick to rush to a conclusion. Stop. Think. Review. After that make a decision. Is the Pac-10 best for KU or is there another conference better suited for KU? What about the SEC or Big East? Just think about it.

Rock Chalk

jayhawkinATL 4 years, 6 months ago

I've said all along that I would love for KU to end up in the Big East...so/so football and GREAT b-ball. We'd fit in perfectly.

Bill Skeet 4 years, 6 months ago

Several folks have made this point about the Big East (which is saturated with schools) but never about the ACC which I think is also great b-ball and so/so football.. Why is there no discussion of the possibility of KU to the ACC? (personally-I'm not a fan of the either idea, just trying to understand the rationale applied to the Big East).

Matt Bowers 4 years, 6 months ago

Someone mentioned the MWC and all of a sudden KU wants to bolt to the Pac-10! How about thinking about the SEC or the Big East? We will lose our availability to travel and ability to watch games if we go West. Biggest fan base is in the Midwest and East. Please don't bolt KU, play your options, you are marketable.

Rock Chalk

jayhwx3003 4 years, 6 months ago

What about expanding our fan base in the west to go along with the midwest and east?

Matt Bowers 4 years, 6 months ago

Why are we so quick to panic? Think about this for a moment and stop worrying. This reminds me of the government trying to sell a war. Why not the SEC or Big East? KU is marketable, we are not on the chopping block. Why is everyone's first instinct to bolt instead of respond? It has been a week, not a season. Please relax KU fans, don't panic, that is what sells newspapers.

Rock Chalk

sbucks 4 years, 6 months ago

KU has to go through Kentucky to get in the SEC

Matt Bowers 4 years, 6 months ago

Good for UK and KU. It would make the SEC the best football and basketball conference every year. KU v UK match up twice a year would be up there are better than the UNC v Duke game. It makes sense and the games would be televised at reasonable time and fans could travel. Think about it KU Nation.

Rock Chalk

KU08 4 years, 6 months ago

I have thought about it, and I love it. But, we need to accept a Pac offer if it's made.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 6 months ago

Matt .. providing the flight tracking info is a great touch. Your reporting on this story is terrific.

If we don't get a P10 bid, I really think the Memphis, Houston, Louisville, and Cincinnati group should get a major look for the Big 12. Big markets, exellent basketball, good football. On the latter two, the Big East is going to collapse on the football side (Syracuse and potentially Rutgers going to the Big 10).

We should immediately take the Pac 10 bid if offered, because we know one thing is for sure .. we could get commitments lined up for a new Big 12 and Missouri would bolt the minute the Big 10 offered. And perhaps the Big 10 is waiting on offering Missouri, simply to pick the right time to harm the formation of a reformulated Big 12.

Matt Bowers 4 years, 6 months ago

Why rush. Why is everyone in panic mode? Why does everyone read the news and then freak out? Whatever happened to waiting and responding? Is the Pac-10 best for KU? Can we travel there or stay up late enough to watch games? We are more Midwest than West. KU is marketable. Everyone please relax and think before freaking out and taking the first offer. HCBS was right when he said it will take nearly a year before all chips fall. This is the beginning, not the end. RELAX

ROCK CHALK

richter3 4 years, 6 months ago

AHHHHHHHHH WHAT'S HAPPENING!?!??!?!??

Just joking around-- I agree with ya. In the end, KU will be absolutely fine.

OCJHAWK 4 years, 6 months ago

With CO, OK, and TX schools KU will be just fine in the pac 16,

jayhawkinATL 4 years, 6 months ago

Uh, oh...the flight is 45 minutes late departing Austin.

rcjh22 4 years, 6 months ago

maybe it could be because the weather coming in?

Matt Bowers 4 years, 6 months ago

Once again another example of reading into something and freaking out! How about some faith? KU nation please think before you leap. Is KU really fit for the Pac-10? Why not the SEC or Big East? This is the beginning of realignment not the end. DON'T RUSH TO JUDGMENT.

Rock Chalk

rcjh22 4 years, 6 months ago

Yu are just making it worse by telling everyone to stop "freaking out". This will change KU for the next 10, 20, 30 years. So this is a pretty big deal and something to "freak out" over.

Matt Bowers 4 years, 6 months ago

As a high school teacher I can tell you that drama is a bunch of rumors blown out of proportion. Stop stirring the pot.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 6 months ago

kustrong .. gotcha, you made your point. This is all just rumors and talk. But that is what this site is for. Talk. Sounds like on this subject, it's not the best place for you.

SEC: Why would they want us? Football conference. Kentucky is the exception (and Florida's run).

Big East: Why would we commit to a conference that's football side is on the verge of collapse? Syracuse and Rutgers will eventually go to the Big 10.

I think you can be assured that Perkins has gone over every scenario, and has thought through the contingencies.

Matt Bowers 4 years, 6 months ago

Agree HighEliteMajor. Just don't understand why it is everyone's first instinct to rush for the to the Pac-10? I'm trying to think long-term not near future. Got carried because I'm a bit passionate. Thank you for bringing me back down to earth.

Rock Chalk

Torisen 4 years, 6 months ago

Wow, you guys are truly dedicated. I'm impressed and grateful for your efforts on this one. Be safe on the roads.

OCJHAWK 4 years, 6 months ago

++++++ Thank You. So much for a boring offseason.

OCJHAWK 4 years, 6 months ago

don't get me started on what we get to tell mu and state LOL

Kevin Heath 4 years, 6 months ago

I was thinking the same thing regarding flying to KC vs flying to Lawrence, especially considering this plane was actually in Salina a few weeks ago (stopped while flying from east coast to west coast). But then how late is the Lawrence airport staffed? As I recall, some of these regional airports keep the landing lights on, but are not staffed practically after dark. For example, if I am not mistaken, the Salina airport (while it is a major stopping point for private jets such as this one flying across country because of its long runway and hardly any air traffic) is only staffed until 9:00 PM. Then everyone goes home and they have a repeating message on saying, basically, you are welcome to land here, but there is nobody watching the radar for you so you're on your own. KC may be a better choice because it is late and since it is close it is a bit safer to fly in to since there is someone in the tower directing traffic. Just a thought.

jayhawkinATL 4 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, and KCI may be the better choice in adverse weather.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 6 months ago

This is awesome! This is like a "live" Jayhawk game cast during the season. Larry Scott gets drink at the MCI Airport water fountain! Yes! Did you see him slurp? Awesome!

CaramelMacchMan 4 years, 6 months ago

hahaha so yeah if there is a gate change to C78. we'll know. this is historical.

Justin LoBurgio 4 years, 6 months ago

9:26 On way to airport, 25 minutes out 9:41 Arrival at airport

Tait.....did you need a doggie bag once you got out of the car? Or did you simply just kiss the ground and offer to drive home?

Matt Tait 4 years, 6 months ago

Great question. He stayed around 80 mph, I just was off on my time. Guess it just felt like it was going to take us longer since this is such a rush.

Still no sign of him. Well worth the trip, though. I have a feeling he will be in town and will meet with Lew Perkins tonight or tomorrow.

Stay tuned.

Hank Cross 4 years, 6 months ago

Yes, yes a thousand times Yes to the P16 or even the P12. A "saved" B12 would only mean more indentured servitude to Bevo. I would feel bad for KSU, but it's everybody for themselves at this point.

Even if A&M is still on the fence, KU should take their invite ala CU and Baylor. The B12 is Humpty Dumpty.

ytf23 4 years, 6 months ago

Even if UT stayed, the 'new Big XII' would be severely unstable. Could you trust the other members? MU would be like the skanky gf who wanted to leave you for another guy but found out he just wanted to date her bff. UT would be like the opportunistic gf who is sticking around just because she hasn't found anybody better... yet. Would you really want to marry either? Probably not, and if that's the case, it's time to move on.

OldOldHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Can anybody explain what just happened to flight tracker?

khummel60 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm wondering the same thing. The flight just got removed from the tracker. Did it even depart?

OldOldHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Ooops, sorry. I meant flightaware. It looks like the flight plan has disappeared to me.

jayhawkinATL 4 years, 6 months ago

Matt was saying the pilot probably disabled it to avoid a media circus like in Lubbock.

OldOldHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

The flightplan just disappeared about 10:00.

Hank Cross 4 years, 6 months ago

"Dear original members of the P10,

We accept your invitation to join your conference. You can rest assured that we will always take your side against the TX and OK schools as they we willing to maroon us in the MW as a result of MU's antics.

Sincerely,

The University of Kansas."

rob4lb 4 years, 6 months ago

I think this is the time we need to be thankful that Lew Perkins is our athletic director. I have been following this all weekend and quite honestly, I'm not sure what to do, but I'm sure Lew will put KU in the best possible position. I'm not even sure KU would get an invitation if at least UT doesn't accept. It is fascinating how the PAC-10/ Big 12 South a acquisition has fallen apart. You have to assume the following: 1. If UT is looking to save the Big 12, they must think there could be some issues moving to the Pac-10. 2. If UT is hesitant, does it make sense for the Pac-10 to invite anyone else? The Pac-10 big money TV deal requires a strong presence in Texas. So now, the Pac-10 is not quite as strong of an option. 3. I can't imagine any other B12 school getting an invitation to the Pac-10 unless UT's commitment is secured.

DSommersby 4 years, 6 months ago

I hope Bill Self is part of these meetings. That guy has the charisma we need to get this done!

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 6 months ago

I hope Lew takes this P10 guy for a scenic tour of Wyandotte County and leaves him somewhere near the trainyards. Let him see how KU really feels about his West Coast mafia machine swooping down in Big 12 country!

Hey Keegan, oye como va!

rcjh22 4 years, 6 months ago

What is going on at the airport Matt?!?!?!?!?

newyorkjayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

i'm trying my best not to get too excited about this PAC-16 possibility with KU included. my dream would honestly still be to have Kansas join the group formally known as the Big 10, because I think top to bottom still has more basketball fire power and more football fire power... why the Jayhawks aren't lobbying the Big 10 folk to expand further to take them, Mizzou and KState is a little confusing... maybe that is happening, i dunno... but back to the Pac 10 group that is possibly inviting us to join... the TV dollars will be much larger than what Beebe helped provide for the Big 12, the football power of the Big 12 will venture over with us in the event we move and combined with UCLA, Washington, Oregon, and USC, that's some serious strength, and then in basketball I just get giddy with the idea we'd be playing UCLA every year... two of the most storied programs in history... more storied than Indiana, and more storied than any other Big 10 squad... Top to bottom, i still think the Big 10 is better, and I believe they'd get more of the same by inviting Mizzou, KState and Kansas to join in and to invite someone like Syracuse to make it 16 teams total. But joining the PAC-16 gives Kansas a match up with UCLA with more tradition imbedded in the headlines than a Duke v UNC match up. ESPN may still give more love to the ACC because half the broadcasting team went to Duke and the other half went to UNC, but I'd be REAL happy if we did join the Pacific conference... again, the only thing that'd make me happier is if we'd join the former Big 10.

DevilHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

If the Big 10 comes knocking - yes, that would probably be the best fit. However, a shift to 16-team conferences will see the Big 12 torn apart anyways, so we are better off accepting an offer to the Pac until we get invited to the Big 10.

jayhawkinATL 4 years, 6 months ago

KSU will never be considered for the Big Ten...it's not an AAU member, a pre-requisite for Big Ten member schools.

rob4lb 4 years, 6 months ago

I totally agree but I'm have been surprised from the beginning of the Big 10 expansion talk that KU was never mentioned as a serious candidate. However, if ND is secured and school or two from the East Coast, perhaps a national basketball brand will be viewed as having some value. I don't think K-State would be considered for the Big 10 since they are not an AAU member.

Maybe both MU and KU eventually get invited. Maybe MU has burned some bridges. Like I previously asked, if it comes down to MU and KU, who do you think Nebraska will recommend? The team they trashed in the news conference or the team that NU legend as its head football coach.

Bill Skeet 4 years, 6 months ago

I agree- Big 10 would be best fit for KU in a perfect world.

But in the middle of such a high-stakes game of musical chairs, I just can't see us turning down the Pac10 and taking the chance that there's no seat when the music stops. The new MegaPac is going to trump the current Big 10 in $$$. The markets of the MegaPac with the addition of CU, OU and UT (whether KU is in the mix or whether it's Utah or TexA/M) will be unparalleled.

Finally, several have made the most important argument against sticking with the Big 12 leftovers + MW combo-- it is fragile and volatile and will remain so long as there are any members with wanton eyes toward other conferences (read: MU, any southern schools and now probably KU is in that category). The combo would be great for KSU and ISU, even BU if they can get in.

jchief40 4 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like everybody has been had with that plane ride source. Jokes on us guys.

Danny Hernandez 4 years, 6 months ago

Matt, you're are crazy.....all kidding aside....as an older longtime Kansas fan and residing in the Pacific Northwest, thanks for the updates and for allowing your personal life to take second this weekend... I've been enjoying your updates..My wife thinks I'm crazy but oh well...

I hope your trip to KCI wasn't in vain...

Keep them coming

Kevin Heath 4 years, 6 months ago

OK, so any chance they cancelled that flight plan to Kansas City and just flew directly to Lawrence??? Perhaps the flight plan to KC was a smoke screen for the media...or for Texas A&M...

jchief40 4 years, 6 months ago

The flight removed KC period. I just checked the site. It's as if the trip was never scheduled.

Steve Brown 4 years, 6 months ago

mybe ATM was given a deadline and called mid air...so sad for us.

rob4lb 4 years, 6 months ago

Summarizing the weekend, I have read about 6 different conference scenarios for KU. It is a little scary because whatever decision is made will impact the athletics and the university for the next several decades. My thoughts on the scenarios:

PAC-10- I still think there are problems with playing games on the West Coast. With UT, there is stability and academically, it is a good fit. Culturally, Lawrence is more west coast like than Stillwater or Lubbock. I would hate to abandon the rivalries with KSU and MU. If OU goes to the SEC, maybe MU could join KU in the PAC-10.

Keep Big 12-- I think this would be a temporary fix. I don't like UT having even more power. I am guessing the powers are leaning toward this.

MWC/ Big 12 merger-- I hope this is last option. What I am seeing would not bring in the TV revenues we need. The schools, though competitive, do not bring in a national audience. The travel could be a little tough and most of the schools are below KU in academics.

SEC- Not a lot of talk about this. I have seen some proposals, but this is a longshot. Alot financial stability. We would never be competitive in football. Basketball would KU/UK and would get alot of national attention. The academic fit isn't that bad. Florida, Georgia, Vanderbilt and LSU are strong academically.

Big East- Someone needs to be creative to make this work. The concern is that some of the football schools could be poached by either the Big 10 or ACC. If that issue is resolved, I think this could fit nicely because this conference values basketball and gets alot of exposure as we are compete with teams in the east coast media markets and ESPN. There are enough football teams that are in close proximity of KU to form a division. We would have to get into a football arms race with the other universities and would be competitive in football. This would be a conference that has the same priorities as KU and there are some strong academics schools in the conference.

Big 10- This is probably the least likely option, but I could see a scenario where to get to 16, the Big 10 takes ND and two schools from the east coast and another one from the Midwest. Most people would speculate that team would be MU, but it could be KU as well. If NU has a say, who do you think they will recommend? If you read some of the Big 10 message boards (which is not that credible), you will see there is alot of support for KU as one of the final invitees to the Big 10.

jayhawkinATL 4 years, 6 months ago

Looks like they'll have to check the tower logs for the mystery flight.

Kevin Heath 4 years, 6 months ago

Do we seriously not have any contacts in Austin who could just tell us if the plane is there or not? I'm sure there must be some news media contact who could drive by or call a contact at the airport and ask if that plane was still there or gone, right???

DevilHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

I heard from someone watching one of the KC news stations that the plane landed around 10 pm. However, I haven't seen anything posted online yet.

DevilHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Scratch that. It may have been speculation just like everything else.

peter56321 4 years, 6 months ago

I was just thinking the same thing, jchef40.

jchief40 4 years, 6 months ago

There's bad weather outside maybe they stayed put.

okiedave 4 years, 6 months ago

Tulsa sportscaster say Tex. A&M has elected to go to the SEC. Texas and Tex. Tech will cancel all their remainder games with A&M as a result of their move spurning the PAC 10 offer. Tex. is talking to the Big XII about keeping the Big XII intact. Looks like they are reconsidering the hassles of travel to the Northwest.

If Texas stays in the Big XII, so will Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

Kent Wells 4 years, 6 months ago

This smells fishy. I think Coach Self has cooked this all up as a distraction so that he can sneak off to Michigan and interview for the Tom Izzo job.

OldOldHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

I thought his prediction that KU would remain in a BCS conference sounded as much like a warning as a prediction.

sbucks 4 years, 6 months ago

I say Lew calls Texas up and tells them we'll do anything it takes and they can have anything they want if they just stay in the B12 while he's mailing our application to become a P10 member. Texas A&M is the key , if they back out of their SEC deal or it just proves to be a rumor, KU will be the loser.

Steve Brown 4 years, 6 months ago

we can loan them our hot tub and rehab equipment.

Stratus02 4 years, 6 months ago

Not surprised the plane didn't come into KC tonight. That plane is registered to Oregon booster Pat Kilkenny. Doubt he would want his plane flying directly into this convective weather tonight. Bet the plane never took off after the pilot got his weather brief.

Hank Cross 4 years, 6 months ago

I wouldn't be surprised if the flight got diverted. If not, it's not a problem and I expect KU to be invited to either the P12 or the P16. I say P12, b/c KU should jump at the chance to go to the P12 even if it's just us and CU.

Forget about the athletic aspect, and look at the academics. Is KU really going to turn down an invite from the conference of Stanford, the UC schools, USC, and UW? By joining the P12/16 KU instantly becomes a true national university attracting top students from all over the country. In turn, KU grads have a network of contacts they can only dream about now. The value of a KU diploma goes up dramatically. It will also help KS's "Brain drain." There are many CAers who might trade their weather, as well as the over-crowding and their failed welfare state, for a change of pace in KS.

We would throw that away because some people like to road trip to Ames? Get serious.

Bill Skeet 4 years, 6 months ago

Alumni on the west coast are going to be in violent agreement on this. All weekend I've been imagining KU vs Stanford, KU vs Cal, KU vs Oregon...

If this goes through, I would love to see the MegaPac split North/South for the matchups. However, for the student athletes, it would be best for it to be arranged East/West.

North would be Wash, WSU, OU, OSU (O=Oregon), Cal, Stanford, CU and KU South would be USC, UCLA, AU, ASU, TT, UT, OU, OSU (O=Oklahoma)

Yum!

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 6 months ago

"..We've got people on the ground at the Lawrence airport and will keep you updated throughout the night.."

That's the kind of hard-hitting journalism that has other college town newspapers quivering in the shadows!

Not since Ted Baxter at WJM has journalism seen such poignancy.

Kent Wells 4 years, 6 months ago

And Ted Baxter was a sports reporter. Dating yourself mem...

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 6 months ago

More appropriate than a Les Nesman reference then, right Wells? (And you just dated yourself as well, my friend!)

Sweet_Sandbags 4 years, 6 months ago

Stop looking everyone. Sources have confirmed that the plane landed on the "Lost" island.

Turns out that Dan Beebe is the smoke monster, UT is Charles Whidmore, and MU is Benjamin Linus. The question is, what is KU? Jack...Kate...Hurley...Sawyer???

Ironically, "Lost" was easier to follow and had more answers than this realignment mess.

Hank Cross 4 years, 6 months ago

KU is Sawyer - flying off the island. MU is more Michael, doomed to haunt the island. And KSU is Hurley-every body loves him, but he's going to stay on the island for the rest of his days.

If were going to use pop culture references, MU is Freddo Corleone, his envy and failure to recognize his own limitations cause him to plot against the family, in the end he is played by more powerful forces and ends up dead for his treachery.

Hank Cross 4 years, 6 months ago

Great news AZ-That means in all likelihood it's down to us and Utah. And Utah cannot go b/c the LDS will never let Utah go to premier league while BYU languishes in the MW. The Bay Area schools have already said No to BYU.

If this comes off, KU is really going to go through the roof. There are so many alumni here in SoCal that we almost took over Pauley freakin Pavilion last season and Rock Chalked so hard at the Galen Center (USC) in 07, the LA Times reported about the chant reverberating through the halls as we exited - it was awesome.

AZ- nothing will ever avenge the tourney loss to UofA, but seeing KU knock heads on Lute Olson court will be great, to say nothing of what they'll do to ASU. Maybe I'll even take SWA to catch the AZ game every year.

utahjayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Wrong again.........stop regurgitating what you clearly don't understand. The U will go to the Pac 10 in a heartbeat if asked.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 6 months ago

Maybe the whole Big 12/Pac 10 Hardwood series was just a big thermometer shoved up.....

Helen Gross 4 years, 6 months ago

I know this has nothing to do with the Big 12. But if anyone is interested tickets for the tournament in Vegas went on yesterday. Just a little FYI.

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 6 months ago

if invited fingers crossed we should accept immediately, forget what UT and OU are doing. i would think that A&M would have to formally decline the invite first though.

Hank Cross 4 years, 6 months ago

You Betcha - personally I would prefer to go w/o our low class neighbors to the south. They were willing to strand KSU, ISU, Baylor and us just because of what those idiots at MethU did. If we end up with them in the P16 (knock on wood) we should tell the original P10 that we will side with them over the TX and OK schools.

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 6 months ago

kinda funny, at this point i'd actually prefer an invite to the p10 than the b12 surviving...

Bill Skeet 4 years, 6 months ago

Hey, don't forget about the Bay Area opportunities in basketball. How about a road trip to play Stanford or Cal and then a visit to mid-major USF with head coach Rex Walters.

And don't let all this athletic focus overshadow the academic opportunities of association with schools like Stanford, USC, CAL and UCLA. The facilities these institutions have is incredible. Teaming up to be able to use the observatories in So Cal or the giant particle accelerator at Stanford.. and who knows what more.

oxcaljayhawk is speaking the truth about the credibility and notoriety this would bring to KU.

Hank Cross 4 years, 6 months ago

Thanx bskeet- I've got family in the Bay Area and go there often. Can you imagine KU getting a permanent toehold in Sillicon Valley? If we could develop an alumni base there, the fundraising and networking possibilities would be fantastic.

dmg97102 4 years, 6 months ago

Either way, let's get out and support that football team more than we have. Let's not have the "Win or Lose, We Still Booze" T-shirt mentality when I was there in the mid 2000s. Let's also get rid of the "Rip his F-ing head off" on kickoffs once and for all. All this conference realignment was caused by football TV dollars, and if our student body is yelling this on every kickoff, then no one is going to want to put us on national TV. I have so much love for KU, so it's time to realize what we almost lost and start to change our ways to better our university.

jayfella 4 years, 6 months ago

MWC had 4 teams in the NCAA tourney last year if the two merged half of the league would of made it last year

KU #1 seed KSU# 2seed Baylor #2 seed New Mexico # 3 Seed Unlv # 8 Seed Byu # 7 Seed SDSU #11 seed Mizzou #7? Seed

Why should we let Texas hae its own TV network as long as we are a BCS conference which this new conference will be then why should we play second fiddle to texas and let them be the god of the Big 12

OCJHAWK 4 years, 6 months ago

Nice link

I like TX as a state and school, but UT has way to much power in the B12. Whatever happens I hope they become just a powerful big brother not dad.

I really don't like this TX gets their own TV network c r a p.

OCJHAWK 4 years, 6 months ago

Let TX go independent like ND and see how quickly their relavance is without a conference if they want a special TV deal.