Paul Pierce makes cameo in Kobe Bryant farewell commercial

Tonight's the night.

Kobe Bryant, the man Magic Johnson himself calls the greatest Los Angeles Laker of all time, will play the final game of his legendary NBA career at home in front of what figures to be a star-studded crowd of some of the biggest names in sports and entertainment.

And there's no doubt that, given that this is Kobe and Hollywood we're talking about, it figures to be one heck of a send-off.

For those of you who don't care much for Kobe, I'm sure the dominant thought in your minds is, "Hasn't this whole season been a Kobe send-off?" And, yeah. It has. But that's what happens when legends say goodbye and, love or hate him, Kobe Bryant, on the floor is a basketball legend.

With that said, so much of this day and this week have been about Kobe send-offs. And one of the most recent tributes I saw, a Nike commercial which should speak to the Kobe fans and haters, featured a little Kansas basketball flavor, as legendary Jayhawk and Boston Celtic Paul Pierce made an appearance.

Here's a look...

Comments

Josh Galler 5 years, 6 months ago

is this year Pierce's final year too? Where is all his hoopla? He is a HOF too. I still take Pierce over Kobe and I don't have my KU Glasses on.

Jonathan Allison 5 years, 6 months ago

Pierce definitely deserves to be honored for his accomplishments, but Kobe is definitely in rarified air. 3rd all-time leader scorer in NBA history. 5-time NBA champion (and was #1 or #2 player in each of those series). All of the all-star appearances. All of thee All-NBA team honors. League MVP. First Team All-Defense nine times, 2nd team three times. All with one franchise.

For better or worse, there has never before been one quite like Kobe and never will be again.

Better teammate? Paul Pierce. Better player? Kobe in all facets of the game. More accomplished career? Kobe by a landslide.

That said, one of my all-time favorite NBA memories is Paul Pierce outdueling LeBron and Kobe in the 2008 playoffs.

Freddie Garza 5 years, 6 months ago

I've rooted against Kobe for most of his career, but now that he's leaving...man, I hate seeing him go! I suppose that's a natural sentiment for folks who have a deep appreciation for the game of basketball and the contributions that Kobe has made to it.

Steve Zimmerman 5 years, 6 months ago

The most electrifying NBA player to watch, ever! Period! No one does it better than Kobe. Not even MJ..

Jay Scott 5 years, 6 months ago

Head to head, in the Finals, Pierce kicked Kobe's butt.

Jay Scott 5 years, 6 months ago

What was that? Didn't watch Pierce win Finals MVP, most of it matched up against Kobe?

Freddie Garza 5 years, 6 months ago

I would say that Pierce largely neutralized Kobe with his own production...not that he actually stopped Kobe from doing what Kobe does. He didn't.

On the other hand, Garnett roundly outplayed Gasol, and Ray Allen contributed more than Lamar Odom did. That and Rondo's superior floor game were the difference in the series IMO.