Will Turner Gill Survive the Week Without Being Fired?

The Anti-Mangino experiment has failed.

Get a good, long look at this man. He's on the Kansas Most Wanted List for impersonating a Coach. Write your Athletic Director and demand that he be fired. Before the end of the week.

;

Comments

jhawkln 2 years, 5 months ago

Frank Solich or June Jones would be perfect for KU!

Joe Ross 2 years, 5 months ago

It looks like Gill will survive the week and perhaps the season. Zenger had better consider what his move will be at that point. The boosters, fans, and alumni will not tolerate this.

Fred Davis 2 years, 5 months ago

I had the opportunity to meet Gill in KC not long after he was hired, and he said all the right things, seemed confident and even dropped his all too familiar coach-speak for a second... So I was encouraged. That was two years ago. While I understand that coaches need time to implement their systems, get their guys in place, etc. etc, I'm not going to state the obvious, but the lack of progress in Year 2 is painfully discouraging. If TGill's teams were losing close games and staying competitive, fans would be patient, they'd be behind Gill and I think we'd all feel much better about the direction of the program.

That's not happening and nothing about the last five games suggests it's going to happen over the last four games. Thus, I'm convinced that The Zeng is going to have to fire him. While it's easy to suggest getting a new D-Coordinator, there's more problems with Gill and his approach than just the Defense. This team has no edge. There's no nastiness to this team. They don't have names on the backs of their jerseys for crying out loud. C'mon. Gill's Kumbaya approach to coaching football is great for middle schoolers and pee-wee kids just learning the game, but in the eternal words of Dan Hawkins - this is the Big 12 Brother. It's Division One Football, it's not intramurals.

The reality is - even Terry Allen - who we'll agree was putrid in his own right - was 9-13 overall and 4-11 in conference in his first two seasons at KU.

So, I agree, Gill needs to go at the end of the year, but it's important - and The Zeng will get this done - is to pick someone young, vibrant and hungry as the next football coach. This nonsense about Mangino? Stop. As I've said in other places on this site - that ship sailed. Is he still obese? Yeah? No thanks. Mark Stoops... Hmm... Well, his defense is at Florida St. is currently 7th in the country in total defense. Not too shabby. And he had a top 25 Defense nationally his last two years at Zona as DC. While I'm worried because his brother Mike's tenure at Zona was less than stellar, I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of Mark Stoops, but the fact he's been coaching 21 years and hasn't had a head coaching job yet is worrisome. I also keep seeing the name Jim Leavitt thrown around - again, yes, he was good at USF, but he left there because he punched a player - allegedly - and that's never a good thing.

Kerby Smart from Alabama would be the prize hire as far as I'm concerned, but I don't think he'll come to Kansas.... I have faith in Zenger though, because with his experience under Snyder and how he saw KSU become the program it is today, Zenger knows what he wants in a head coach. I'm bummed that Gill couldn't get it done at KU, because I legitimately thought he could. Either way, KU has to hit a home run, maybe a Roy Williams-esque type hire, but somebody, because KU needs to get legitimate in football fast.

Joe Ross 2 years, 5 months ago

The only answer is to shorten the duration of the initial contract. Three years is reasonable now and should have been sufficient when Gill was hired. Either that or shorten the payout. It's only going to take 10 million to drive our football program into the rocks. This is unconscionable. If Gill is half the man he says he is, he should forfeit his contract and surrender the money. Ironically, he's going to have a hard time sleeping with his conscious. What a mess.

Joe Ross 2 years, 5 months ago

Well I've seen your posts, and I would never demean your intelligence. I think Mangino is a long shot too, precisely because Zenger is aware of the stir that was made on campus. Also, someone has to put a bug in his ear that if Mangino has to walk on eggshells it will undoubtedly compromise his effectiveness as a head coach, because it's simply not his personality. I've read all the arguments, but I still think there is a good case to be made for a Mangino rehire if it comes down to it. Zenger would just have to announce publicly that he's given Mangino behavioral expectations and sign him to a short-term contract. In any case, feasible or not, Mangino with a temper is better coach than Gill as a saint. It seems that you and I agree that there are candidates out there, but persuading them to come to Kansas might be a hard sell. If they were successful, however, it would be a stroke of coaching genius, the country would honor their ability to turn around a program that is in the toilet, and they could write their ticket anywhere.

Joe Ross 2 years, 5 months ago

Jim Levitt, Brent Venables, Mark Mangino, Bill Young, Mark Stoops....

No one would come in midseason I don't think. But Sheahon Zenger knows that bringing Gill back next season would make him look like an inept, hands-off AD. Another reason Zenger should replace Gill is just that he's a poor coach (a very good man, granted).

Above is a starter list for you. Other coaches may be available near the end of the season. Ill keep you updated.

justinryman 2 years, 5 months ago

And may I ask if he is fired this week who would be the head coach for the rest of the season? And who would be the head coach next year?

I keep reading everyone wants him fired, but nobody ever compiles a list of real coaches that are available or that would even take a coaching job at KU.

Tuberville??? Really cause he didn't look like he could coach much against ISU this past weekend.

Dickless Head 2 years, 5 months ago

Stupid nlgger. Program killer. Intellectual moron.

What in the HELL did he say to Perkins to convince him he's be a good coach??

kujayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Isn't the kid at Arizona that impersonated a ref being charged with a felony? How is this any different?