KU Sports Extra — Recruiting Quickly and Stillwater

Tom and Matt return for the latest episode of KU Sports Extra to talk about the quick turn-around it took for the new KU football coaching staff to land its recruiting class. Plus, the Kansas basketball team faces a test at Oklahoma State. [Have a question for Tom or Matt you'd like answered on a future episode? Leave it in the comments section below.]

Comments

Joe Ross 2 years, 1 month ago

Question: How long before Rick Barnes is out as head basketball coach at The University of Texas? You return all of your starting lineup, you add one of the top recruits in the nation, you are predicted to win a competitive conference and you LAY A GOOSE EGG! UT has shown they will remove the Old Guard in favor of young blood (Mack Brown anyone?). I just have to think that with a fan following as big as Texas has that theyre not going to tolerate seasons like this when they have talent and the rest of the Big 12 is getting praised for their competitive play.

My prediction? Barnes is out at the end of the season.

Rodney Crain 2 years, 1 month ago

Although I agree 100% with your points, I hope Texas wins the Big12 tourney, and wins a game or two in the NCAA's, so he keeps his job. I am being purely selfish here.

It is not everyday you can take a team with the caliber of players that Texas has and have them face plant this year. This is all on Barnes, but I hope he sticks around ;)) Heck they might get somebody in there who can recruit and coach and give us another headache to deal with. Right now that is only ISU and WV, two good coaches who can put together a roster and get them to play as a team. No other coaches in the B12 concern me other than Fred and Bob.

Michael Lorraine 2 years, 1 month ago

He'll have to have a good tournament run to return next season. If he doesn't and he's still HC then I think we can conclude texas doesn't not care about basketball.

Joe Ross 2 years, 1 month ago

David Beaty should be given time, and GIVING him time wont cost Kansas a ton of money. We have to develop talent year by year and continuity in the system over the course of several years. I think the right staff is in place to make a turnaround.

Kent Wells 2 years, 1 month ago

Frank Mason only needs to eat 17 cheeseburgers a day for a month to be more like Collins. Meaning, Mason needs to be Mason. He's doing fantastic. He needs to keep improving and play HIS game.

Kyle Sybesma 2 years, 1 month ago

With Beaty's connection to A&M I'm curious why we haven't heard any rumors of Kenny Hill transfering to KU. I know it's a perfect fit for him to go to TCU but I haven't seen that as a done deal.

Michael Lorraine 2 years, 1 month ago

I like the 5 year plan but we could have said the same thing for the last two coaches. I don’t think Beaty will be judged on wins and losses but if he is getting blown out by average teams in year three I don’t think the alumni will allow him to continue anymore than they allowed his predecessors.

Michael Lorraine 2 years, 1 month ago

Tom and Matt. It would add some ambience if you hosted this show at a bar. You can tell a lot about a person by what he drinks.