Who is going 1st in the KU football coaching search draft?

Tom Keegan and Matt Tait each get five picks as they sort out possible candidates to become KU's next head football coach.

Comments

Jim Stauffer 5 years, 2 months ago

I think Fritz was at Sam Houston State wasn't he? Not sure he was ever at SFA.

Tom Keegan 5 years, 2 months ago

Never Stephen F, Sam Houston State is correct. I always do that with those two schools. Current Sam Houston State roster has 89 of 96 players from state of Texas. Played at Pitt State.

Rick McGowwan 5 years, 2 months ago

I loved watching this, but, well, it was thoroughly depressing. 3 candidates in the top 10 are on the current staff of a failed program. 2 (Frost and Harbaugh) are pipe dreams. 3 are unproven (Warriner, Beatty, Beck) and 1 isn't leaving (Narduzzi). That leaves us with Fritz, who is my favorite of the 10, but what about some names from Zenger's KSU time? If we're going to take a chance why not Leavitt?

Rick McGowwan 5 years, 2 months ago

Very true. How many P5 programs are going to interview Bowen, Kiesau or Reagan? Outside of Kansas, I'd say zero. That's what is depressing, 3 of the hypothetical top 10 won't be getting an interview anywhere else.

Andy Hess 5 years, 2 months ago

According to JayhawkSlant, Narduzzi has expressed interest in the KU job.

Kerby Rice 5 years, 2 months ago

Interesting picks by the both of you. Curious either have heard any conversation regarding Colorado State HC coach Jim McElwain. This guy has NFL experience, 2 National Championships as Alabama OC, and took Colorado State from 3-9 in 2011 to 6-1 in 2014 with the remainder of their opponents a combined 15-19. Crazy things have happened but this team should end the season at 11-1 and a potential top 25 ranking. This guys resume blows any coach mentioned in the clip except Harbaugh's out of the water. AND he has actual Head Coaching experience, unlike many of the candidates. Included in his HC experience is a significant turnaround which is what has to take place at KU, unlike the prior HC experience of a Weis or questionable motives of Leavitt. I find it bazarre that with this guy being in only the next state over, I haven't heard or seen 1 mention of his name!!!

Kyle Sybesma 5 years, 2 months ago

Kerby - You beat me to it on this post but I've mentioned him on others. Jim McElwain is a great coach. He's the kinda a guy players want to run through a wall for. They're already bowl eligible and I think you're right about CSU being 11-1 at the end of the season. Currently CSU is getting top 25 votes and they're just outside the top 25. He's doing this with no ties to the state of Colorado. The biggest obsticle for McElwain is he has a $7 million buy out.

I do think Bowen will be the next coach or at least someone with KU ties but if we don't look outside KU then Zenger is doing KU football a disservice.

Jim Jackson 5 years, 2 months ago

Beaty in his first season as Rice O-Coordinator took them from being an offense ranked in the 100s to 50s . He's also coached 3 star players into All Americans (Dillard, Briscoe, Evans).

Surprised there was no mention of any of that.

Beaty is the guy we need to imminently upgrade the talent with Bowen as Associate HC/ DC.

Kyle Sybesma 5 years, 2 months ago

Tait/Keegan - Can you see a scenario where Bowen stays as the DC if he's passed on as the head coach?

Rick McGowwan 5 years, 2 months ago

Zenger already said Bowen will be part of the new staff if he wants to be. The problem with the new HC is, who do you let go? Kiesau, Reagan, Campo, Mitchell are all pretty solid.

Clara Westphal 5 years, 2 months ago

Clint Bowen has done more in a few weeks than Weis or Gill did in years. The team plays with energy and are getting better each week. I think Bowen deserves a chance at head coach. If Zenger brings in another loser, he should be fired.

I don't understand why Bonnie Hendickson is still at KU. She has been here 12 years and has had 1 winning season. Maybe it is because few people care about women's bb.

Randy Bombardier 5 years, 2 months ago

Bowen needs to win at least one game. And no freaking Nebraska connections please. Otherwise Warriner, Beatty.