Final thoughts following KU's 80-67 win over North Carolina

Journal-World sports reporters Jesse Newell and Matt Tait give their final thoughts following KU's 80-67 win over North Carolina on Sunday, March 23, 2012.

Comments

live4h2o 2 years, 4 months ago

This whole "animosity" thing toward Roy is a bunch of bunk. Its not the alumni and fans that are holding on to this "story". And I am sure the current student couldn't care less, they were like 10 years old at the time.

My alumni friends and I let it go long before the 2008 year and couldn't care less about what happened in 2003. Roy is a great coach and did great thing for KU. I cheer for Roy (and the other former KU coaches and players on his staff) whenever they are playing, EXCEPT when they play KU. And if they would have won tonight, I would be cheering for them against OSU. But on those occasions when KU does plays UNC, I wish them only the exact same fate I wish all other KU opponents: a horrible loss. But in my experience, the fans are not the ones who are holding on to this anymore, it is the media and their need to hold on to a story line that is perpetuating this.

Kuhawkdave 2 years, 4 months ago

I completely disagree. I didn't hear much from the National media this time about Roy vs. his old team. But, my Facebook wall was full of vitriol for Roy. There is a large group of fans that just can't let go.

Steve Corder 2 years, 4 months ago

The cradle of college basketball lore is evident.

Someday KU will formally recognize Roy Williams' contribution. Those few miscreants, that post such terrible comments, will be drowned out by genuine classy KU alumni and fans' applause when Roy walks onto the floor of Allen Fieldhouse. I can almost hear it now.

I'm right there with live4h2o.

easyfive 2 years, 4 months ago

I am just glad Bill is learning how to change D's up on the fly. He's learning!!! The most impressive part this years team.

drum1984 2 years, 4 months ago

Thank you guys for your coverage. We Kansas fans are spoiled with the coverage we get from kusports.com.

Jayandseahawk 2 years, 4 months ago

IMHO, When he retires, Roy coild still come back to Kansas and be elected to any position he wanted..maybe that's what we need to change "What's the Matter with Kansas?" (as a state coming dangerously close to Sharia law!)

Kit Duncan 2 years, 4 months ago

I suggest that Chancellor Gray-Little invite Roy to a football game to be presented with some award or title (or whatever) at halftime. Put the word out well in advance to encourage attendance by the Jayhawk Nation and use it as a chance to heal whatever wounds are left to be healed.

Roy can't or won't come during basketball season due to scheduling impossibilities and he won't schedule a game between KU and UNC as long as he feels that he is not welcome.

Please, KU Athletics, University and fans, don't let it fester any longer like you did with Wilt. Let's let bygones be bygones and give Roy the place at the table he so richly deserves with regards to the KU coaching legacy. Make Roy Williams feel welcome on Naismith Court in Phog Allen Field House anytime he wishes to return.

And a great rivalry between two of the elite basketball programs might be born out of that healing.

danmoore 2 years, 4 months ago

There are still some petty fans but I believe most of Jayhawk nation feels a debt of gratitude towards Roy and would give him a standing O if he returned to AFH. But, I think we need to wait until he retires. There are still games to be played and I expect to meet UNC again in the tourney. I think he's 62 so we shouldn't have to wait too long. I'll be surprised if he is not invited back for some halftime ceremony. Even Norm Stewart was invited to AFH.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 4 months ago

Matt & Jesse---

I love how you cover the Jayhawks. Thanks for your coverage, as always. Wish I could tag along with you both to the "Big Easy!" Do you need anyone to carry your luggage? Anything---I am up for it! Ah, I least I tried.