Wayne Simien jersey ceremony speech

Former Kansas player Wayne Simien addressed the crowd at Allen Fieldhouse as his jersey was hung from the rafters Saturday, Jan. 29, 2011.

Comments

jhawkinva 10 years, 2 months ago

I loved Wayne Simien as a KU Jayhawk, and I admire his religious dedication, but I think its wrong for him to use Allen Fieldhouse as a platform for it. I get that its his calling and passion, and I share some of his views. I don't think having his jersey retired should open up the basketball court as his personal pulpit. I, too, am a person of faith - I just believe there is a time and place, and this wasn't it. That being said, he's my second favorite KU player after Sherron, and I am so glad to see his jersey hanging in the rafters. God bless!

Brian Kiel 10 years, 2 months ago

You can't change the way someone feels and if he feels that Jesus Christ was his strength and He was the reason Wayne was able to do what he did, then why not speak about it! A person of faith, which I am too, owes it to God to glorify Him no matter the platform. So what, he prayed at the end of it, I think it was great! He is not afraid to share how he feels, and I think more people of faith need to start acting that way. Think about it, is this the time and the place to say "God bless" at the end of your statement? I encourage you and all people of faith to stand up, rise up for Christ and not only speak about Him when the "time is right!" I appreciate your statement because it challenges me to be more faithful. I hope that I have the strength to not be afraid to share the gospel of Christ in front of 12,000 people. Isn't that what God calls us to do? Wayne did it and thank you Wayne for spreading the Gospel!

jayhawk02 10 years, 2 months ago

Awesome post AZJayhawk. It's about time that people who claim to have faith live it. Too many people who say they are Christians are too afraid that they may offend others. I'm sorry if I offend others, call me a zealot or anything else, but the Bible tells us we were created to worship God. So I applaud Wayne for doing just that, and not caring if he offends athiests, muslims, or anyone else.

ddporter69 10 years, 2 months ago

I agree. I am also a Christian and it is our responsibility to bring the culture of heaven to the earth realm. The media is used for everything else so we should use it when ever we have an opportunity to glorify God. Remember the words of Jesus "If you be ashamed of me before men, I will be I ashamed of you before my Father." I applaud Wayne for using his platform to glorify God. We must understand our kingdom mandate. There is a seven mountain mandate in which the enemy is controlling right now and the media is one of them. This was just one example of how we can take it back.

mojayhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

jhawkinva God Bless is right! In this day and age, it is more 'correct' to speak against Christ than it is for Him. Wayne knows where he came from and God Bless Him for using his God given talent as a platform to speak boldly. KU is better for having him for 4 years. He is who he is because of his faith. I am delighted to have a professing Christian's jersey hanging in our rafters!

Wayne, God bless you, and congratulations!

gchawk 10 years, 2 months ago

I couldn't disagree more. It was Wayne's moment, he had the right to say whatever he felt like saying. He obviously felt like giving credit for his success where credit was due, and he feels that a big part of his success was due to his faith. At least he has the courage to stand up for his convictions. I'm very proud of him.

hawk316 10 years, 2 months ago

Two points:

First, in Wayne's mind, who he is as a person and what he was able to accomplish were greatly impacted by his conversion. For that reason, it seems proper for him to credit Jesus Christ, along with parents, coaches, etc., for the honor given to him.

Secondly, it has been said that evangelism is merely one hungry beggar tellling other beggars where the bread is. Once you have tasted "The Bread of Life," as I have, you want every beggar on the planet to get in on the scrumptious feast. It just seems selfish to keep all the goodies to yourself. :-)

TanMan 10 years, 2 months ago

"... you who judge others do these very same things." Romans 2:1

I think of it more as inspiration. I had a chance to hear former KU Golfer and USAF hero Dan Rooney speak about his Folds of Honor Foundation and was inspired beyond words just like I was with Simien's address. Some are touched and some aren't by these events and it doesn't matter where it happens but I'll bet my life that God has something to do with the inspiration. Its your opinion but also your choice to receive the inspiration whereever it may come. That said, the self-righteous differ from murderers and adulterers by only one degree according to Phil Yancey so I would like to be on record for speaking out about inspiration and not judging anyone here. God Bless indeed!

fansincewilt 10 years, 2 months ago

Give a true preacher an opportunity to preach and he is going to preach. If He is the most important part of your life how would it be possible to not speak of Him. It didn't seem to me that the crowd was too bothered by it. I wish I could have been there. What a game! And what a career for Wayne Simien! You have to go all the way back to Danny Manning for me to have a bigger favorite basketball player. We still get to watch him play every game through these big guys. I am going to be very sad when he moves on.

RockCaCO3 10 years, 2 months ago

Audio sucks. Cant tell if he's preaching or not. Regardless, Congrats Wayne! You deserve it.

jhawkinva 10 years, 2 months ago

Why does it matter what religion the players are? And why does it matter how important their faith is to them? Would you be less proud to retire the jersey of a non-Christian player? I am a KU basketball fan because of the basketball - and because our program has coaches and players that Im proud to associate with "my" team. As a Christian, I'm not any prouder of Wayne's jersey being retired than I am of Nick Collison's or Jacques Vaugn's or anyone else who didn't feel the need to make it about God instead of the game. Like I said - I don't mind the faith (I think he's inspiring), I just think that he could have made it more about the basketball. After all, his jersey was retired because of his achievements on the court...

Bee Bee 10 years, 2 months ago

I ve know Wayne since he was playing CYO basketball. He was a good kid and now a good man. He has made KU and Leavenworth proud.

Congradulations BIG W!

KU_FanSince75 10 years, 2 months ago

A great honor for Wayne. I am glad he has God in his life. HCBS says, "He is a rock. He has been there for Thomas Robinson in time of need." That says a lot. Wayne is definitely on my Top 10 list of favorite players. Rock Chalk!

brooksmd 10 years, 2 months ago

My only complaint is the quality of the audio. How can you tell what he said? There must be a way to tap into the audio from the mic without having to resort to recording the audio from the speakers in the arena.

AsadZ 10 years, 2 months ago

HCBS says that Simien is the Best College Player he has ever coached. Thats says a lot about Simien. I am not a Christian. But I respect him for having a strong faith. I hope that he sticks around KU and Lawrenece and can influence the players become good men. Congratulations.

McHawk 10 years, 2 months ago

I think it's great that he puts the Lord first in his life and Wayne gives Him all the glory.

Saad Saifeddine 10 years, 2 months ago

Of all the KU Bball players I lived with during my four years at the Jayhawker Towers, Wayne was without a doubt the most humble, down to earth, and simply the best jayhawk to represent KU. The guy is a great man, and he gave his heart and soul to KU Bball during good, and not so good times (his severe shoulder injury). I have nothing but respect for Wayne. Rock Chalk

Saad Saifeddine 10 years, 2 months ago

Nick Collison and Aaron Miles were great as well.