Jayhawks put up strong showings at boot camp

KU basketball's boot camp is going well, according to head coach Bill Self.

Related story

Comments

Tom Gillaspie 10 years, 4 months ago

I believe the point is more about what can be proven and what is conjecture and speculation. I notice that most of the finger pointing after the brawl is directed at the basketball team; I guess a team that is favored to make a run at a national title is held to a higher moral standard than a team that will be fortunate to win it's conference title (make that half-conference, or half-title).

rcjh88 10 years, 4 months ago

soobawls, your post makes no sense at all. OOhh no he threatened people on facebook? How terrible, Bill should kick him off for sure. He assulted no one, it was a fight, a fight takes more than 1 person or 1 side. What Brady did was not only break a very important law by drinking and driving, but he was out past curfew which was set due to the negative things that were happening the past couple of weeks. Bill actually said in another article that had this happened prior to the curfew being set and things being tightened up within the team, he would not have been suspended for the semester, but he made bad choices by breaking those rules just a few days after all of the trouble on campus. Dumb choice by Brady and he deserves the punishment he got. I'm sure those players were warned, no more mistakes after the fight fiasco. By the way didn't Brady start for KU last year? I would think that would at least make him a potential starter this year just like Tyshawn.

TenaciousD 10 years, 4 months ago

Not only did he start, but he played the second most minutes last season. You don't go from that to the bench... well, unless you get a DUI at 4 a.m. after Self lays down the law. Seems like everyone got what they deserved.

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 4 months ago

So many people are asking the question of why does Brady get punished and Taylor gets off easy for his role in the fight, or Buford gets off easy for his summer DUI. The reason is simple. Not only was Morningstar's violation stupid because he put not only his but other driver's lives at risk, but it was in direct violation of team rules DURING training camp.

Taylor is not going to be prosecuted and jailed for anything he posted on facebook, and really not even for "throwing a punch." But that really is beside the point. This isn't a matter of black and white, there is gray area. Buford's violation was also a criminal act. Markieff Morris last year with the airsoft BB gun was too. All of these guys should know better. But Brady was out of line at the worst possible time. I'm sure that Self had made it very clear that these guys need to be on their best behavior. He set a curfew specific to this team at this time and these players had to know that there would be consequences if they were in violation of team rules.

I'm sure that Brady just figured that Self would never know... he'd never find out. Well, Brady, you blew your cover. Now sure, if he had violated curfew to study for a test or something like that I'm sure he wouldn't get the same punishment, but still, this is Bill Self's Boot Camp. Time to focus on the team. Time to focus on your physical condition. Time to focus on the coming basketball season. Not time to go out partying in Westport or whatever he may have been doing.

cklarock 10 years, 4 months ago

Brady's punishment comes because he was directly breaking the team curfew, directly after a very ugly episode in which the team got a (metaphoric?) black eye.

People who want to infer motives from their armchair need to make use of Occam's Razor.

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

What happened to Bufford when he picked up his DUI???

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 4 months ago

other than puking in boot camp it was never made public if he was punished by the coach.

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

Nice. I guess puking would be a start, but it seems that is pretty automatic for the young man!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 4 months ago

"KU's basketball boot camp is going well..." quote HCBS

I am sure that those guys are running laps, doing line touches, pushing defensive slides and doing full speed sprints, not over a half court, not over a full court but over a "Court from Hell" court and a half!!!!!

That's 135 feet plus or, in football terms, from the goal line to 45 yard line.....over, and over, and over, and over..........SWEET!!!!

VegasJhawk09 10 years, 4 months ago

Brady wouldnt have been a starter this season.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 4 months ago

I guess we won't be seeing that scene from the video above for awhile.

With this development, I think Mr. Releford can put his red shirt back in the closet for now.

Joe Baker 10 years, 4 months ago

I wanted to see how much his workouts in San Fran would payoff. He better not waste all that hard work. He better stay in shape! I can't believe you would kill yourself by training with Frank M and then return only to drink yourself into a suspension.

I just don't get it. I know their young and going to make mistakes but really!

Oh well...10 days to Late Night!

Glen Darge 10 years, 4 months ago

It's too bad a potential championship team that works so hard during training risks everything over misfortunate circumstances. I'll be watching the KU B-Ball Team again as I have for the past twenty two years. I hope they carry themselves as well on and off the court before and after the games as they have tha last four years with Coach Self at the helm.

MakoHawk 10 years, 4 months ago

That sucks for Brady. The punishment don't fit the crime in my mind. Maybe he should just stay home a blaze a splif. It seems like that would have been the better choice in this situation. But as Frank says, “I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” I'm of the mind that this will just give Brady extra incentive to work his tail off. I'm looking forward to getting a look at him second semester.