/ Kansas vs Iowa State
Photo by nkrug
November 21, 2009
Copy and paste the link:
A Kansas fan shares her opinion regarding the status of head coach Mark Mangino's job during the fourth quarter Saturday, Nov. 21, 2009 at Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium.
Completely uncalled for. I've never liked Mangino and am actually hoping we go in another direction. At the same time, this is a mans job we're talking about. To flaunt that in front of him and his wife, his kids, and 100,000 Texas fans is just in tacky and in poor taste.
Clearly you aren't a relative or friend of any of the players on the team. I have heard countless situations where Mangino was clearly out of line in his role as the head coach and his reign needs to end before one of the players gets seriously hurt. We want our players to graduate and continue to be functioning members of society and Mangino tearing them down and telling them they should just "move back to the ghetto and get shot like their homies" is very uncalled for and makes for a really unhealthy mindset for these young kids.
I have no loyalties to Mangino's family, he has mistreated COUNTLESS other families that are not his own - maybe he should work on his own for awhile (especially since he is banned from his own son's school? Sounds like a great man).
You make the effort to get to know a player and they will tell you how horrible their college experience has been under Coach Mangino - I guarantee you will rethink the comments you posted above.
I agree the sign seems pretty tacky and uncalled for. I think everyone realizes that this is moving in the direction that Mangino will be removed from his job.
What is the point of the sign? What is their motivation? I just do not get what they are trying to attain other than looking for attention. Kind of a weird sign in my book. Just my thought....
Maybe they just want people to know they support the firing of the coach. Nothing wrong with that. When else can fans express their loves and hates - from Muck Fizzou, Beak 'Em, "I love Todd" and Rock Chalk. Mangino's a public figure making a lot of money, if people want him to stay, voice your opinion if you feel strongly enough. These kids obviously feel strongly he should go.
I played my freshman year. Two of my friends are currently on the team. Mangino hit on the head when he said 98 percent of the players have a good experience and the other 2 percent are just disgruntled players trying to earn their 15 minutes of fame. Trust me, outside your little Lawrence bubble, this story looks ridiculous. Mike Leach describing it as a "witch hunt" is perfect.
I'd like to see us move in another direction, for other reasons...GRACEFULLY and without the national embarrassment. Gary Patterson please!
Commenting has been disabled for this item.
Contents of this site are © Copyright 2019 by Lawrence Journal-World.
Site feedback /
About us /
Contact Us /
Terms of service /
DMCA Notice /
Forgotten your password?