Podcasts

The Spodcasters examine Charlie Weis' future and KU's upcoming game vs. Central Michigan

Spodcasters

Comments

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 4 months ago

I thought before the season started that 3-2 would be the best case scenario start for the team.

I also agree with Keegan that Michael Reynolds is the most important player after Cozart. His pass rush ability is there, we saw it last year when he got to 6.5 sacks. I will say that I'm a big fan of Bowen's defensive alignment. The Buck is a non factor in the running game unless the team runs right him. Bowen needs to make the defense a true 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 alignment so KU has a better chance at stopping the run.

The best the offense has looked under Charlie Weis was when Michael Cummings was running the option 2 years ago. If I was Reagan, I'd go watch film from then and incorporate a lot of those plays into the offense. Have the QB flanked by Mann/Avery one side and Pierson on the other, put the TE on the line to block, split Harwell and King out and you've got a formation that a lot of running plays can happen from. This is a good run blocking OLine and the receivers are fast enough to throw some jet sweeps into the mix.

If Weis does get fired, name Reggie Mitchell interim because he actually has that experience and if he doesn't get the job long term, find a young coach (late 30's/early 40's) who runs the spread offense and give him time. I don't care if it's a high major assistant or low major head coach, just a young person who wants an opportunity.

Brad Farha 7 years, 4 months ago

Tom & Matt -- challenge accepted. 4-1, I can see it.

John Fitzgerald 7 years, 4 months ago

Love the optimism, (or sarcasm whichever it is) and I hope you're right!

Matt Tait 7 years, 4 months ago

Very nice, Brad. I'm not saying anyone should predict it, I'm just saying there have to be people out there who can squint and see it going that way... Bottom line: We'll know A LOT more after this weekend's game.

Eliott Reeder 7 years, 4 months ago

Pretty sure you said that last week about the Duke game... ;)

Matt Tait 7 years, 4 months ago

And I was right, wasn't I?!?!? I know I learned A LOT from that one...

Brad Farha 7 years, 4 months ago

Matt & John -- it's optimism and definitely not sarcasm. I love the Jayhawks, and I've missed maybe 5 games over the past 10 years. I've seen some great football, and I've seen some not so great football. That said, while I think it's unlikely the team goes 4-1, I could see it happening. The team has my support regardless, and I'll be there cheering from start to finish. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

John Fitzgerald 7 years, 4 months ago

You're a good man and a true Jayhawk SUPPORTER. People forget about the support part of being a true fan.

Chandler Accipiter 7 years, 4 months ago

I'm uncertain about Central Michigan, but your 4-1 is not happening. Even with the craziness of college football, KU is not knocking off UT and WVU. If not for that last punt return and then the pump'n'go TD, UT beats a decent UCLA team. And WVU is not the same team that got beat in Lawrence. Trickett did not play last year, and he still may be racking up yards against the Ft. McHenry Francis Scott Keys. Looking further down the schedule you probably think ISU, TCU. and TT look winnable as well. ISU will have a crappy record after this week's Baylor game, but they played KSU tough and beat Iowa. TCU beat Minn and is much improved after being the best 4 win team in the nation last year. Tech a getting good Arkansas team and beat UTEP on the road. So all these other "beatable" teams have either Power 5 wins and/or wins on the road, two things KU would kill for.

I heard more praise for the pass defense against Duke. You realize that it was the fourth quarter when they got torched by SEMO, and in the fourth last week Duke's backup threw two passes early and then they ran from there on out. So maybe McDonald and Shepard get an incomplete at best.

One other thing that stood out from the Duke game is that without his OC duties, and in a game like Saturday's, Weis looked like he was on on island on the sidelines. Your old pal Jesse Newell pointed this out. There seemed to be no passion from the head coach during the game and little interaction with any other coaches or players. Wasn't that one of the many knocks against Gill? Definitely something to watch for against Central Michigan.

Chandler Accipiter 7 years, 4 months ago

That should say "Tech lost to a getting good Arkansas," which is still pushing the limits of readable grammar. I think "improving" is the word I was looking for, but "getting good" is just so alliterative.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 4 months ago

Yeah theres no chance at 4-1.

Although I think we win this week against Central Michigan.

Central Michigan will be our last win...and we go on to a 2-10 record.

Eliott Reeder 7 years, 4 months ago

Nah, we'll get lucky and everything will click for us while things fall apart for another team at some point in the season and we'll go 3-9.

John Myers 7 years, 4 months ago

So here's my thing and what I just don't get. Regardless of whether SEMO is a good team or not, that first quarter was ridiculous and we looked really solid for the most part. How we go from that to 7 quarters of crap just boggles my mind.

I've said before - our kids can't possibly be as bad as they look - there's just no way. And whether our coaches are the best or whether they're the long term answer, or whatever, they aren't complete slouches. Everyone is certainly trying hard. I just don't get how we can put such a bad product on the field.

So, Tom, I'll be one - I can see it, based on that first quarter. But yeah, certainly not gonna predict it.

John Fitzgerald 7 years, 4 months ago

First off, I want to say I love these spodcasts. Thanks Tait and Keegan. I'm going to be a journalism major at KU starting in the Spring and I feel like what you guys do gives me an idea on where I would like my career to go. Awesome work!

Now back to the task at hand. I will probably get blasted for this but even if we don't win this game I'm not sure I would fire Weis, and for reasons that would solely benefit the University, not my previous opinions. I've never been a fan of firing a coach before a season ends. If he wants to step down that's on him, but firing a coach mid season without a proven path to success seems pointless. This program is hurting and I hope that at some point it starts to make progress.

Clarence Haynes 7 years, 4 months ago

Regardless of whether he is right or wrong about the state of football at the University of Kansas, I personally feel that Keegan is so negative that he is not good for reporting Kansas Athletics!

Billy Derringer 7 years, 4 months ago

I personally feel that Clarence Haynes is so negative that he is not a good fan of Kansas athletics.

Eliott Reeder 7 years, 4 months ago

I CAN SEE THAT PATH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Leiker 7 years, 4 months ago

Haven't had a chance to listen, but looking at all the comments this week, has it crossed anyone's mind that maybe Duke was just really, really stinking good? Sounds crazy but it's possible.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 4 months ago

Duke is a good team, probably going to win 8 or 9 games this year and possibly repeat as division champs, but they aren't a good enough team that they should've beat KU the way they did. KU botched the first play of the game and never recovered just like the Broncos in the Super Bowl last year.

David Meredith 7 years, 4 months ago

Central Michigan and Texas are possible wins, just because we should beat CM, and KU has a knack for playing Texas close in Lawrence.... but hard to see them going all the way to West Virginia and winning... WV will have revenge on their minds.

Jonathan Briles 7 years, 4 months ago

It has already been said, but I'll say it as well. I can see that path. I think it is incredibly unlikely, but possible. I think we need to not only win, but win big against CMU. If we can gain enough confidence with that and come with passion against Texas they are vulnerable. Even with those two wins WVU would be tough. As Tait said he is not predicting that, and neither am I, but I can at least see some crazy path that takes it in that direction. Regardless of how the season turns out I'll still watch every game and hope for stunning win every time.

Chayse Patrick 7 years, 4 months ago

Well folks here we go again!! Another one win year. Firing Weis is inevitable but whether Dinger waits til years end awaits to be seen. I mean Zenger. LOL At any rate Zenger needs to be 5 minutes behind Weis with his walking papers. Being a KU fan for 50 years I was really hoping to beat K-State a few times before I die but that probably won't happen. This is PATHETIC and embarrassing to the school.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 4 months ago

Lol - thanks for the chuckle.

Let's hope our next coach can get us on track.

Matthew Pyle 7 years, 4 months ago

Agree 100%. Zenger should be right behind him. Pathetic. This is a curse; it's what happens when you fire w/o cause the best coach in university history. It's like a bad dream.

Joe Ross 7 years, 4 months ago

If Charlie Weis is hitching his prospects of remaining coach at Kansas to Cozart's horse,...

I mean if he were nervous it would be understandable.

Kevin Kelly 7 years, 4 months ago

So answer me this. If we are going to fire the coach 3 games into his 3rd season after 2.25 seasons of work....why would you bring him back for the year at all?

At the beginning of the season I looked at the first 4 games and said....2 wins would be good but 3 would be phenomenal. And I didn't think we had any phenoms on the team so I think we're on track. Was the away performance bad? Yes, but ALL our away performances are bad. Its like no one gets any sleep when they leave the state. How was this going to change against a team that is clearly still in the top 3rd of the conference they play in (where the National Champion plays too).

Everyone take a pill and let them rebound. No one is holding their breath or anything but lets give Chucky Frontbutt a few more games before we go all toddler tantrum on him.

And Keegan.....I'm getting tired of your negative attitude. ;)

Matthew Pyle 7 years, 4 months ago

Everybody KU plays sees it as a "W". I mean everybody... and that is a sad state of affairs. The fact that any KU fan sees this team going 4-1 is borderline hysterical (of the mental variety).