Podcasts

Bill Self discusses Conner Frankamp's decision to transfer from Kansas

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Comments

Dale Rogers 5 years ago

I'm not sure I understand the transfer rule as to when the year actually starts, the year he has to sit.

Does it start as of the time he is no longer on the team?

Or does it start on the day he is no longer enrolled at KU?

Or does it start on the day he enrolls in another Div I school?

Anyone know for sure? Not conjecture, but for sure?

Thanks.

Eric Dawson 5 years ago

The "year to sit" starts when he actually leaves KU, so it will start on the specific day in December 2014 (e.g., Dec 20) that he withdraws from KU and end the day before that day in December 2015 (in my example, Dec 19).

Brian Wilson 5 years ago

This is the first time I think I am disappointed in Self. Bill should have worked to keep Connor. A Kansas kid with this much talent and heart has to be taken care of. instead we keep bigger maybe more talented players with less heart and drive. This team better prove me wrong and when and if CF ends up a stud somewhere Self should speak up and admit his wrongheaded error and eat crow while getting his head out of his......

Jack Jones 5 years ago

Obviously, the decision was Conner's and his family to make. I'm confident Coach Self did and said what he needed to do in conversation with everyone who had a stake in the decision. Wish him well ~ and I will be following his career wherever he transfers. Not sure about your "bigger...more talented players with less heart and drive", comment. You must have a damn good crystal ball to measure "heart and drive", and make that kind of judgement.

Chris Spangenburg 5 years ago

how so? is he supposed to force connor to stay against his will? he's not good enough to get playing time yet, so is bill supposed to give him playing time until he is? thats just an absurd stance to take. bill brought him and gave him an opportunity to earn time and connor wasn't capable of getting it.

John Thomas 5 years ago

From the tone of the announcement by Bill I think he was disappointed about the transfer and had told both Conner and his dad that there would be more playing time this year. After that any player has to earn minutes. With that in mind I don't thing you can blame Coach for Conner leaving. Disappoints me too. Just have to wish him well.

Greg Lux 5 years ago

Why leave now ... He is committed for this semester... He has already lost that eligibility unless he waits out a year and a half ( which the family says they won't do ). It makes no sense. He could have stayed on the team this semester and left if unhappy at the end of the semester and still had his 2 and a half years of eligibility. Why now... makes no sense. There is more here then we are being told.