Podcasts

KU coach Charlie Weis talks following loss to WVU

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Comments

Cal Bender 1 year, 9 months ago

I think I heard the coach say "We've made a lot of progress this year." Can you elaborate on that statement, Coach? I, for one, would like to know what progress you've made.

RCJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I'll go ahead and field this one on his behalf just for fun. Better defensive strategy. Better conditioning. Better academics. Better players (once eligible). Better decision-making resulting in fewer turnovers/penalties. Better mindset (finishing games and not quitting). Closer games than the trainwrecks Gill coached. Fewer excuses by players and coaches. Less use of the words "explosive"…"making plays"…"things of that nature."

I'm not going to deny today sucked and our record overall was terrible and not what we should deem as "acceptable." However there was progress and it will be seen as the culture changes and Weiss can upgrade the talent. We need to be patient as fans and be a bit smarter in our evaluation of this process.

Cal Bender 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks for the enligntenment. I didn't think of all that . . . I guess. Two thoughts. I guess we have to give him 3 years. He had what, 5 at ND? (Now # 1) If we don't, it may be tough to get a good coach who knows he needs more than a year or two to improve a program, probably 3. On the other hand, there are a lot of good coaches who would take the job. I guess I vote for 3 years, and if not much improvement by the 3rd . . . well, we'll see.

kualum95 1 year, 9 months ago

Gill would have done better than Weis' 0-9 in conference record. What a waste of a year. We'll be saying bye-bye to him after next year....at least I hope.

RockinChalkinLA 1 year, 9 months ago

He didn"t. He first says he got them to fight, but fighting and winning aren't the same. Coach is saying this team made strides in knowing their assignments and effort, but is no where near where it needs to be in order to win. I agree with him.

Good luck on the recruiting trail coaches.

Jan Rolls 1 year, 9 months ago

I used to have a coach that would say when we lost it built character. We have a lot of character.

wprop 1 year, 9 months ago

total up the "buy outs" Mangeno & Gill( (not including AD Lew Perkins 2M) .....$11,500,000....this does not include assistant coaches who got at least $ 2,000,000 for being fired.....11.5 million for one victory....also Mr. wise got another $1,000,000 from his firing at Noter Dame........