Podcasts

What to expect out of KU football in 2018

KU Sports Hour

Comments

Steve Corder 1 month ago

After talking up the o-line and new additions, no one was willing to “drink the kool-aid” by projecting more than 1 to 3 wins.

Craig Carson 1 month ago

I expect them to beat the FCS schools they play in the first 3 weeks like EVERY OTHER Power 5 school does..then at least be competitive in most of their games, show improvement and maybe win 1 BIG 12 game..it would be nice to break their 50+ game conference road losing streak..I dont even think K-State was THIS bad back in the 80's..and they were HORRID back then

Bryson Stricker 1 month ago

Not sure how you just classified CMU & Rutgers as FCS schools..

Dale Rogers 1 month ago

I was at K-State for my freshman year in 1965-66 and they were definitely this bad. Their record was 0-10.

Ray Winger 1 month ago

Matt Tait, you query why announcements or communications, are different than other circumstances? It is as obvious as the 'First Amendment'. That's right, the Freedom of Speech'. Think about it! Or in the KU Football Team, the Freedom of Non-speech'!

Why should they give you the platform to berate the KU Football team or it's staff, or decisions? If I was the KU Football Director of Operations, I would do exactly, what they are doing. The only problem is, that the non-verbal communication has gone around the world in seconds, but that last 1/2" is still struggling to reach the LJW Sports Writiers. I guess, 'You Still Don't Get It'.

Jeff Coffman 1 month ago

You mean a coach who is all friendly and the KUsports welcomed him, and then when he didn't perform at any level and says things like Earnit, or toughness, and doesn't align with any of those things and KUSports asks him about it...it's now the KUsports team and not Coach Beaty's fault? I'm confused, last time I checked Tait, Keegan and others didn't make one play call last year. They aren't 3-33 and they aren't 0-6 against DI non-conference. As a fan of KU sports, I expect our coaches to talk to the media, not to be pompous and forget that the media outlets are their connection to us.

Matt Tait 1 month ago

Well said, Jeff. I think a lot of people feel the same way you do.

As for Ray's comment... Ray, I had no issue with how the announcement was made. Totally fine if they want to Tweet it out. But why not go ahead and expand on that a little? I would think they'd be excited about the news and would want to explain why Bender won the job and what they expect from him this season. That will all come in time, I'm sure, but waiting almost a week to say anything goes directly against that whole "around the world in seconds" argument you're making. And, more importantly, it makes it hard for the fans and misses out on an opportunity to potentially capitalize on some excitement from the fan base.

By the time Beaty talks about it next week, many fans will have moved on and some (if not all) of the buzz will be gone.

To each his own. Just not the way I'd do things nor is it what I think most KU fans want to see.

Jeff Coffman 1 month ago

In the fourth year of a head coach and we aren't sure if he will beat the DII (FCS) team.

Ryan Zimmerman 1 month ago

I'll give KU two wins, and neither will come in the first 3 games

Todd Seifert 1 month ago

I think KU had better win at least 4 games this year. There is simply a reality that comes with a new AD. Four wins means beating teams a Power-5 conference team should, defeating a not-very-good Big 10 team and winning one conference game. I think four wins should be necessary not to make a change. Likewise, I think the ceiling is 5 wins. It's unrealistic to expect a jump from 1 to 6 wins.