Podcasts

A look ahead: Should KU be favored in North?

Big 12 Soundoff

Comments

jayhawkintx73 10 years, 11 months ago

Yes. Kansas should be favored in the North. Nebraska goes to Lawrence in 2009 and that win in Lincoln, that was easily Nebraska's best offensive game of the year. NOT LIKELY TO REPEAT IN LAWRENCE. Especially with the new guys coming on Defense.KU takes care of business at home, and I see 2 and maybe even just 1 loss and that 1 would be to Texas in Austin. Kansas has a very good shot at beating Oklahoma in Lawrence. Our defense, if they play like they did against Missouri, they beat Oklahoma by 21. OU cannot stop our offense. They didn't stop us in Norman. We stopped ourselves. And Texas is not unbeatable by this Kansas Team. Improved Offensive Line Play, which is almost guaranteed to happen with as young as they are. New Co Defensive Coordinator and Line Coach. Kansas should be the consensus favorite in the North, and a legitimate chance to win the Big 12 in the championship game. KU also has some good QBs that have been very quiet. The biggest thing on offense that has to happen, 1000 yard rusher, and with the talent signed, there are 3 to 4 guys that could do that as a True Freshman. Sharp is capable of that as well. Get a guy like that, and we are probably the best offense in the country. And the improvements on Defense should put KU in the top 20 in the country by the end of the year knowing how hard Mangino gets the kids to work to maximize their talent. Kansas has a very good chance in finishing in the top 5 or 10 in the country and will at one point in the season be mentioned for NC implications in games with OU and Texas. Kansas won't have the pressure on them against those two teams.

jayhawktownie 10 years, 11 months ago

whoa whoa whoa! favorite in the north is one thing but best offense in the country!? we are competitive with just about anybody at the skill positions but until we start lining up multiple elite offensive linemen we cannot be considered on a level with the oklahomas and floridas of the world. i would not put a win against OU or Texas out of the question but it would still be a monumental upset if it happened. i am all for high expectations but you are a little extreme.

Cody Stumma 10 years, 11 months ago

Remember... Kansas will likely go 6-0 before the big Showdown against Oklahoma AT Lawrence.I think our best bet of beating a South team will be either Oklahoma or maybe Texas Tech at their house. (Face it, we're most likely screwed at Texas).But yeah, there's a good chance the North Title will be decided when Nebraska comes to town (unless Mizzou or KSU decides to throw in some upsets).

jco8394 10 years, 11 months ago

Just for those interested in the possibility of getting some of that talent out of Wichita...Blake Bell a QB for Bishop Carroll is on the Rivals Class of 2010 Top 250 Watch list and said the following------"I like Kansas a lot," Bell said. "They are probably my early favorite, but I plan on keeping an open mind and check out all the schools that offer me before making a final decision."

jco8394 10 years, 11 months ago

Also I can hardly wait for next year...I'm expecting one hell of a season...We played damn well in Norman last year and now they have to come up here...I also think a couple of these incoming freshmen will step up next season and play important roles...Still kinda scared about losing our linebackers.... :S

Hawkish4bigM 10 years, 11 months ago

I will feel better when we win big in the non-con games, especially if we have a good D showing. Texas? Why do we think they are so unbeatable when KSU beat them two years in a row during Prince's tenure. We have better coaching and personell. I think a lot of it is knowing that we can win that game. We can beat anyone on any given day. If we are gelling and play smart. The 2007 football team was referred to in the media as having a "high football IQ." Not entirely sure what that means but I suppose that means they were sound and did not beat themselves.Well, I still remember a third and 2 in Norman. I think we were just down 7. We were on about our 40 when a reverse was called. Third and 2 and you call a reverse. That is a low football IQ. We did that at several critical times this year. Wariner needs to figure out what people are showing him that makes him make some weird calls at inoportune times. I think we beat ourselves in Lincoln. We beat ourselves in Tampa.OU made the same mistakes against Flordia. When on the goal line, why hand off deep in your backfield????? So, what we have to guard against is the Iowa State Syndrome. Getting lax, center field defense, act like you could win with your eyes closed. If we come out aggressive every game, do what you do best gradually working on what we do not do well. Don't come out trying to "establish" something. When you try to establish your weakness all you do is establish your stupidity. Rather, "you know we have a good passing game. You don't know the half of it. You are about to get smoked." Then, after the opposing D is stunned and down by a few tds, work on those weaknesses.Coaches, I know you know what you are doing. Some of us fans seemingly only see and remember questionalble moves, so just wanted to end saying we have a great head coach and looks like a pretty darn good staff. I expect us to win the Big 12 North next year for one major reason, because we can. I'll leave it to the players to want it enough.