Back to gallery

Kansas v. Iowa State basketball

Photo detail

• Favorite
  • 44 comments

An Iowa State fan is restrained by police after charging at Kansas head coach Bill Self after the Jayhawks' 108-96 overtime win on Monday, Feb. 25, 2013 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa.

Stories this photo appears in:

Tease photo

Scene of the crime: Hostile Hilton awaits KU

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self fondly remembers the day a slump-ridden Elijah Johnson exploded for 39 points in an 108-96 overtime victory at Iowa State. By Gary Bedore

Tease photo

Self downplays run-in with 'animated' Iowa State fan

Kansas University men's basketball coach Bill Self said he did not feel threatened when an Iowa State fan approached and yelled at him after the Jayhawks' overtime victory on Monday in Ames, Iowa. By Gary Bedore

Notebook: Bill Self's 500th win 'was a good one'

Bill Self’s 500th career coaching victory was one for the ages. By Gary Bedore• • Box score•KU coach Bill Self postgame audio

Comments

Alan Braun 1 year, 1 month ago

This "crazy old man" has been an executive for UPS, a board member of the ISU Alumni Association, gotten a distinguished service award from them just last month, and is a big donor. (See OP_Jayhawk's link about 7 posts above this one). Banned from Hilton for life? Don't count on it. They may make him apologize to HCBS but that will be it. Too much money at stake.

KUhawks77 1 year, 1 month ago

Come on, really. Look at the guys wife. He's just a fan who is really pissed off because he knows the Big 12 will eventually admit they missed a call. Wow, here in Cali we step on egg shells all the time..a lot of folks with no common sense and a lot of causes. But even Bill said he "could take the guy" What is wrong with everyone anymore?

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 1 month ago

The "incident" must have gotten pretty loud for it to have gotten the attention of people so far away into the stands, based on the direction in which they were looking. Maybe Hudy needs to shadow HCBS when he leaves the court.

veryphil 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm a Cyclone fan and this guy is an embarrassment. He should be banned from Hilton for life. I sincerely apologize to Bill Self. You guys have a proud program and I'm happy to see you do good. The loss was disappointing, but there is no reason to escalate to violence. I'm absolutely ashamed.

cklarock 1 year, 1 month ago

I bet the wife was instigating.

Sorry, you can't claim to be a classy fan-base and throw stuff onto your own court, or allow morons like this guy to charge the opposition coaches. This guy isn't Kansas' problem, he's Iowa State's.

I like Fred Hoiberg, and I like watching your team, but your fans boo too much, and act like sore losers.

phhb61 1 year, 1 month ago

I’m a KU fan from Tulsa. The picture of the Iowa State fan accosting Bill Self is almost exactly what happened to me at the Liberty Bowl while Iowa State was playing my alma mater, the University of Tulsa, last bowl season. An Iowa State fan actually shoved me while his wife was looking on after TU beat ISU in the Liberty bowl. He was a large man in his late 40s (me a smaller guy early 50s). The fan was really itching for me to fight back. The looser also had his about 20 year son with him. Fat chance I had and could not find security anywhere close. ISU fans are losers.

Jason Wilson 1 year, 1 month ago

Oh god and the guy's poor wife looking on

Brad Farha 1 year, 1 month ago

Don't judge ISU fans for the actions of this crazy old man and a few students. Emotions had to be running high after seeing the officiating get pretty bad at the end, and after seeing EJ's dunk. I do think we got the benefit of the calls at the end, but we got our fair share of bad ones earlier in the game. It all evens out in the end, but we got the late ones.

justanotherfan 1 year, 1 month ago

ISU has classy fans. A few of them (this guy included) got caught up emotionally and did some stupid things like throwing stuff and trying to come onto the court. But that's why there are police down there, to make sure things like this don't escalate.

fearthephog512 1 year, 1 month ago

Yeah, I thought ISU fans had more class. Not that all of their fans are classless, but did they really think the officiating was all in favor of KU? I recall several fouls -- on KU and ISU -- that shouldn't have been called that added to the drama toward the end of the game. Especially Withey's first and third fouls.

Granted, EJ shouldn't have dunked it at the end, but throwing stuff at players? Come on.

Looks like we might now have a new Big 12 rival!

Brian Powell 1 year, 1 month ago

I was wondering what everyone was booing about during EJ's postgame interview with Holly...

PayHeedAll 1 year, 1 month ago

Yeah....that's embarrassing, bro.

James Kiernan 1 year, 1 month ago

What did this dude think he was going to actually to accomplish? Did he really think he'd get anywhere near Bill Self? Idiot.

NotACycloneFan 1 year, 1 month ago

Even though I am no Cyclone fan, I'd have to say that this classless act by the ISU fan is no worse than Johnson's dunk at the end of the game. It wasn't needed, and had the refs not decided the game for KU at the end of regulation, Self wouldn't be celebrating his 500th win. I'm sure Bill will send a nice thank you gift to the referees.

David Black 1 year, 1 month ago

I bet the guy's family is sooooo proud!

nomansland 1 year, 1 month ago

After tonights game, I've officially lost all respect for ISU. Bunch of classless fans up there in Ames. They can be the next "Mizzou" far as I'm concerned!

5541james 1 year, 1 month ago

The guy looks like one of the citizens in the movie IDEOCRACY, what a loser. Seriously this guy needs a reality check if he takes a game that serious. Go show that kind of passion to a politician, not a coach of a GAME.

kujayhox 1 year, 1 month ago

I think HCBS could take him

justinryman 1 year, 1 month ago

Watch out or he will get his International Harvester out and block the bus.

What a sore loser.