Back to gallery

Kansas v. Iowa State basketball

Photo detail

• Favorite
  • 17 comments

An Iowa State fan is restrained by police after charging at Kansas head coach Bill Self after the Jayhawks' 108-96 overtime win on Monday, Feb. 25, 2013 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa.

Stories this photo appears in:

Tease photo

Self downplays run-in with 'animated' Iowa State fan

Kansas University men's basketball coach Bill Self said he did not feel threatened when an Iowa State fan approached and yelled at him after the Jayhawks' overtime victory on Monday in Ames, Iowa. By Gary Bedore

Comments

KRIMSONANDBLU 1 year, 1 month ago

Booster,Money and above the law? what a embarrassment to the Alum

jkanev 1 year, 1 month ago

When did playing from the tip to the buzzer become such a crime? If a player wants to dribble out the clock, that's his prerogative. I don't think a player deserves to be skewered for playing until the end.

phhb61 1 year, 1 month ago

I’m a KU fan from Tulsa. The picture of the Iowa State fan accosting Bill Self is almost exactly what happened to me at the Liberty Bowl while Iowa State was playing my alma mater, the University of Tulsa, last bowl season. An Iowa State fan actually shoved me while his wife was looking on after TU beat ISU in the Liberty bowl. He was a large man in his late 40s (me a smaller guy early 50s). The fan was really itching for me to fight back. The looser also had his about 20 year son with him. Fat chance I had and could not find security anywhere close. ISU fans are losers.

seagull 1 year, 1 month ago

And the ESPN announcers spent the entire broadcast boasting about the good fans in Ames and Hilton, at one point describing them as among the nicest in all of college sports? The boos and this character would seem to contradict all of that positive hype that Ames and ISU got during the televised game. The end of game dunk was very uncharacteristic of a Bill Self team but with the season he has had, who could blame Elijah for doing what he did--and he was gracious in apologizing. Fortunately, there are sane and balanced folks in Iowa. Bryce Miller has a very balanced story in today's Des Moines Register online.

majorcyfan 1 year, 1 month ago

Low class mentality shown by Johnson's game ending dunk.. just another Ku nongrad showing off

Robert Brock 1 year, 1 month ago

Looks like a tough guy who was high on pork rinds.

Carter Patterson 1 year, 1 month ago

Nick, what was the guy saying? Was he p/o about the dunk?