Votes

Back to photo galleries

Jayhawks defeat Swiss National Team, 79-76

photo thumbnail

Kansas University head coach Bill Self looks on during the basketball friendly match between the ...

photo thumbnail

Kansas University's Ben McLemore shoots over Switzerland's Dusan Mladjan in Fribourg, Switzerland, Tuesday, Aug. 7, ...

photo thumbnail

Switzerland's Jonathan Kazadi guards Kansas University's Ben McLemore in Fribourg, Switzerland, Tuesday, Aug. 7, 2012.

photo thumbnail

Kansas University's Ben McLemore guards Switzerland's Dusan Mladjan as KU took on the Swiss national ...

photo thumbnail

Kansas University's Kevin Young defends Switzerland's Dusan Mladjan in Fribourg, Switzerland, Tuesday, Aug. 7, 2012.

photo thumbnail

Switzerland's Stefan Petkovic, right, and Kansas University's Perry Ellis, battle in Fribourg, Switzerland, Tuesday, Aug. ...

photo thumbnail

Switzerland's Jonathan Dubs, right, and Kansas University's Perry Ellis, left, fight for the ball during ...

photo thumbnail

Kansas University's Perry Ellis puts up a shot against Switzerland's Jonathan Dubas in Fribourg, Switzerland, ...

Comments

ldjayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

Is this a training gear or the new KU 3rd jersey?

Bobby Burch 5 years, 3 months ago

Good question ... no idea, though. While they've historically been bad luck, I kind of like these darker crimson-ish jerseys.

Brennan Keller 5 years, 3 months ago

Seeing that the uniforms have no blue trim on them whatsoever and the numbers are screenprinted... I would like to think that these jerseys will have nothing to do with the jerseys we wear in the regular season.

David Leathers 5 years, 3 months ago

Every letter and number has blue trim around it.

Daniel Kennamore 5 years, 3 months ago

I hope not. Adidas' stuff always looks sharper.

Bobby Burch 5 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, I hope we get/have Nike. Better swag, so to speak.

nebraska_jayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm pretty sure KU stayed with Adidas considering Bill Self wearing a shirt with the words, "Adidas" on it as well as the picture with Kevin Young because if you look at his shorts, it also says "Adidas". So yeah, that Nike theory just got thrown out the window.

Tad Shurtz 5 years, 3 months ago

Jay0407 -- We're under contract with adidas through 2013. I've heard rumors of a switch back to Nike, but nothing definitive.

Also, is this gallery supposed to be larger? The thumbnails on the homepage show pictures of fans in Switzerland, etc., but when I click on the gallery, I'm only seeing 4 or 5 images from the game.

Priest Fontaine 5 years, 3 months ago

I've gotten used to KU being an Adidas school and I like the brand, but I have to say, it certainly hurts us in recruiting. I also have to admit that I think Nike has the edge when it comes to performance and innovation, and even uniform design. But where Nike dominates is with their reach and connection through marketing.

I've done a ton of qualitative research with elite high school athletes for Nike, Adidas, Timberland and many other brands. The brand of Nike/Jordan has become such a huge part of their lives that it is a major factor in what school they will choose. Besides their preference for coach/winning history/fans base/ratings - most kids will care more about uniform design and whether it is a Nike school than education.

1. Coach/Winning Tradition/Fans/Ratings
  2. Nike School
  3. Uniform Design/Colors
  4. Climate/Location of School
  5. Education

Of course this isn't always the order, but it is the majority of time. There is a surprising number of kids that will not even consider going to a non-Nike school. I am confident that if we go back to being a Nike school, it will make our coaching staff's job a little easier in recruiting.

Priest Fontaine 5 years, 3 months ago

I can't speak for everyone, but the majority of the 100's of young athletes (basketball and football) I have interviewed and researched in most every region of the country, have an affinity towards the Nike brand. To them, it's not just a shoe, it's a lifestyle. It's also imbedded in their heads that Nike gives you a superior performance (over any other brand). Nike also is in neighborhoods that no other brands have braved before. This means a lot to those kids. I'd say of all the 100's of kids I interviewed, only a hand-full preferred other sneaker brands. I guess what always troubled me most though, is knowing how these kids are eliminating schools off their list based on them being non-Nike and having no way to communicate this research to KU Athletics. I would recommend to KU to go back to Nike unless the Adidas contract is substantially more $$$!!!

Lance Hobson 5 years, 3 months ago

Yes, they make them in sweatshops in Asia and advertise in the ghetto fully aware that drug dealers use them as pay for their 11-year-old runners. Nice company.

John Randall 5 years, 3 months ago

That list may be a big reason the majority of them are not seriously considered the type Bill Self wants to recruit – they just don't have their heads facing forward.

kufankam 5 years, 3 months ago

this is not our third alternate uni.... i think this is simply a nicer practice uni for the exhibition tour... we have already worn a red alternate... see the photo below and you will see the differences:

1. much more blue
  2. jayhawk on shorts as opposed to just the "KU"
  3. rounded "kansas on front chest"

Kansas guard Elijah Johnson adjusts for a shot as he is fouled by North Dakota forward Mitch Wilmer during the second half on Saturday, Dec. 31, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse. by Nick Krug

Jayhawk_4_Life 5 years, 3 months ago

exactly...a modified practice jersey....We still look sharp though.

Nick Cole 5 years, 3 months ago

I like the look of the adidas unis better for bball, but fball i prefer nike. I do think nike all around is a better choice for recruiting though. Would love to go back to nike for that purpose alone.

Pitthawk34 5 years, 3 months ago

Since when has factual sources ever been used on a sports message board.

tical523 5 years, 3 months ago

Lol, I love it. Facts getting in the way of good arguments suck, thats why I hate smart phones so much.

AsadZ 5 years, 3 months ago

Look at Swiss player #5 in the last photo. At first glance I thought he was Mario Little.

Jayhawk_4_Life 5 years, 3 months ago

K Young you gotta do something about that Fro, dude!

John Randall 5 years, 3 months ago

Just keep it trimmed to this length (maybe a half inch shorter). Makes him look like what he is ... good looking, clean cut and energetic.

Lance Hobson 5 years, 3 months ago

I love the red uniforms and am a big Adidas fan. Nike represents the most blatant example in our society of corporate advertising run amok. They have to put that damn swoosh everywhere as if the team is the "Nikes" vice whoever it really is. I can't believe MLB lets players where the sickly swoosh in their T-shirts strategically placed in the V of the jerseys. Not to mention that creepy ad with Tiger's dead dad lecturing him in an effort to sell sneakers. Zero class, Nike. Zero class.

mojoe137 5 years, 3 months ago

We are planning to go to the game tonight. Does anyone know if the KU tickets were all taken last night (aka how early do we need to get there)?