Friday, July 23, 2021

KU coach Bill Self tests positive for COVID-19; feeling ‘pretty good’ but is in isolation

Kansas head coach Bill Self watches from the bench against USC during the second half of a men's college basketball game in the second round of the NCAA tournament at Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Monday, March 22, 2021. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)

University of Kansas men’s basketball coach Bill Self has tested positive for COVID-19 and is currently in isolation.

In a tweet from the KU men’s basketball Twitter account on Friday, Self, 58, said that he was "feeling pretty good right now" and that he began experiencing minor symptoms on Thursday. He also said he was fully vaccinated and encouraged others to get vaccinated.

"I fully believe I would be in a much worse condition if not for the vaccine," he said in the statement.

Self also said he was originally planning to "get back on the road today to see some recruits at various tournaments," but that the positive test disrupted those plans.

“I was excited to get back on the road today to see some recruits at various tournaments this weekend, but I tested positive for COVID-19 and am in isolation,” Self said.

The second session of Self's KU summer camps was slated to begin on Friday and run through the weekend. A KU spokesperson told the Journal-World that Self was not in attendance at the camp on Friday and would not be there in the days ahead but that the camp would go on as scheduled.

The spokesperson also said that the KU men's basketball program has a vaccination rate of 100%, meaning that all players, coaches and staff members have received the vaccine.

According to current CDC guidelines, those individuals who are fully vaccinated and come in close contact with a person that tests positive for COVID-19 are no longer required to quarantine.

Throughout the pandemic, Self spoke out about his desire to see people in the Lawrence community and around the world wear masks, observe social distancing rules and get vaccinated when possible to help bring an end to the public health crisis.

On Friday, in the tweet announcing his positive test, Self again encouraged others to get vaccinated.

“If you have not, please get vaccinated so we don’t have to worry about this virus continuing to affect our communities and loved ones,” Self said.

Throughout the 2020-21 season, Self and his players and staff were routinely tested for COVID-19. The Jayhawks did not have to miss any games because of positive COVID-19 tests within the program until the Big 12 tournament, when their semifinal game against Texas was called off. Three players — David McCormack, Jalen Wilson and Tristan Enaruna — all had to sit out late in the season because of COVID-19.

None by Kansas Basketball

Comments

Ted Hume 2 months ago

True to that.please please please if we want this pandemic to end and stop mutating into more virulent and transmissible variants then we all need to pitch in, like we have at every critical point in our past as a nation of Americans- not dems and repubs- , and put this in the rear view mirror. This could turn really ugly if we don’t stomp it out now- ask Polio how successful vaccines are-“ hello small pox, vaccine calling- where did you go”? Go to CVS and get the Damn shot already. It takes 5 minutes, and when a breakthrough infection happens you can shake it off,like coach BS. I promise you as a medical researcher , that the next variant or the one after that Is going to be truly biblical and we won’t have this luxury then .don’t let it be, please folks. #common cause #de-politicize our health & well being #stop the insanity

Ted Hume 2 months ago

don’t type posts on your phone in the dark when you cant even read the screen. 😀 but seriously we have the power to literally end this f***ing pandemic NOW and move on. Why can’t we just do that already? and then we get back to hating each other again for the usual reasons

Rodney Crain 2 months ago

Glad Coach was vaccinated. To me getting vaccinated is a choice of where you want to fight this pandemic. From your bed at home with a mild case of the flu or from a hospital bed on a ventilator. Sure, you might not get it at all, and maybe you are doing everything right. Doesn't mean that anyone you come across in your day is. Join the herd that has a 99.5% chance of beating it. Or not. It's your choice, and I have been covered either way since April.

Micky Baker 2 months ago

I know several people who were hospitalized for it, and none of them had to use a ventilator.

Rodney Crain 2 months ago

Your from Texas Micky, right? 9000 deaths in TX since Feb 2021. Not a single death was vaccinated. The vaccine does not mean you will not test postive, or save you from a hospital visit, or mean you are on a ventilator. It does however clearly show that if you are vaccinated you have a great chance (99.5%) of surviving it. Don't really care if someone "you know" did not have to use a ventilator. I know 4 people that did before the vaccine and died.

Micky Baker 2 months ago

I live in Kansas. I know, the ventilators probably made it worse on them than not having a ventilator. That is why they stopped using them on most patients. I know you do not care about what other people know, because it means you have to learn something new. The only thing you really posted that is accurate is 99.5% of people who are hospitalized are not vaccinated and it is because it "was in the news recently". Not even your own research at all. You did not go look at anything else except for parrot that.

Dirk Medema 2 months ago

Rodney - I think you have your percentage mixed up. The vaccines have only claimed 95% +/-.

99.5% ironically is what an Indonesian study found to be the efficacy of having elevated levels of vitamin D. The University of Chicago also published a study indicating the benefits of elevated levels of vitamin D, though they only identified “greater than 80%” though not how much greater. In 1920, the government found a similar correlation in fighting the Spanish Flu, though not specifically measuring vitamin D; just sighting the statistically significant benefits of being outside in the sun, which is the primary source of vitamin D.

Tangentially, the US volleyball player that was just sent home after a positive test result was also fully vaccinated.

Just the facts mam.

Shannon Gustafson 2 months ago

Vitamin D is certainly important, particularly at reducing the severity, and it could help to explain why Blacks and Hispanics where hit so hard by Covid (their dark skin is not nearly as efficient at converting sun to Vitamin D). With that said, you have to take a LOT of Vitamin D to reach the levels most often quoted as most effective (and ideally, do blood tests to verify your levels)...or you can spend 5 min getting a free shot, take however much Vitamin D you want, and be good to go.

Rodney Crain 2 months ago

Dirk if you ever paid attention or understood what you read or even looked up something before you spin your “know it all” voodoo on anything you post, I mentioned that percentage as a form of where you will fight this pandemic at. God you really must not comprehend what you read. Of all patients hospitalized now (that means today Dirk), 99.5% of them are not vaccinated. If you catch it like Self did after vaccination, you reduce the need to be treated in the hospital to .5%. Overloading hospitals, like what is happening in the low vaccinated states as they are experiencing a surge again, is why all but a few governors are pushing people to get vaccinated now. The unvaccinated are also allowing the variants to get a beach head too. Twice in the last few weeks medical staff was sent into southern Missouri to help overworked staff there. SO, IN CAPS SO YOU READ THIS DIRK, YOU WILL HAVE A 99.5% CHANCE TO FIGHT COVID FROM YOUR BED, INSTEAD OF A HOSPITAL, if you get those 2 shots. Please I am begging you just skip over my posts, most of them seem to go over your head. Below - Thanks Scott, you replied with more grace to Dirk, I see you had no issue with my post. You must of read what I did somewhere...? :)

Micky Baker 2 months ago

Low vaccinated states? How do you measure low? 55% compared to a state with 60% vaccinated? You really think that a difference in 5% vaccination rate would result in 3x as many cases in some states compared to others? The statistics are there for everyone to see by state, not by city unfortunately. These statistics are not to be used to push an agenda.

Shannon Gustafson 2 months ago

There are 11 states under 40%, two under 35%. Best state is at 67.34%...double the worst one. So you're not being factual with your numbers or you aren't capable of understanding that a state with half the vaccination rate of another state is "low vaccinated".

Rodney Crain 2 months ago

Sorry Micky it seams I have upset you with facts. No idea where you are getting yours.

Micky Baker 2 months ago

Yeah, okay. Time to stop being a Karen rodney.

Rodney Crain 2 months ago

Dirk - . I just searched 99.5% Covid on Google and like magic, it stated what I was talking about. (go to a web page on the internet, type google, then look for search and enter 99.5 Covid and see what happens)

Micky Baker 2 months ago

Yes. I did get vaccinated, but only because of where I work. I would not have otherwise. I had tested for Covid 6 times year and each one came back negative even though I had direct contact with a person who tested positive. I had symptoms that are on the list of symptoms, tested twice, came back negative. I do take Vitamin D, but I do not know if that is why I was able to avoid being infected. However, those that want to say, "low vaccinated states vs high". There is only about a 4% difference between Kansas in Missouri regarding Vaccination rates, but Missouri's rate of infection is 2 and a half that of Kansas. It more likely has something to do with the intensity of population. For example, the number of cases in New York City is nearly half of the total of New York State. It is about 8.2 million in population with the rest spread out across other parts of the state, which would make the rate of infection in upstate far lower than in NYC. Some people cherry pick, maybe not with bad intentions, but they do and results in bad conclusions. One thing that people do not understand, you can still breath in air particles with COVID19 present, and breath them out even if you are vaccinated, but you are better protected with the vaccination. And some of the lowest vaccinated states have lower infection rates than the higher vaccinated states. North Dakota is 44.9% vaccinated and has only 3 per 100,000 rate of infection While New York State is 62.1% vaccinated and 6 per 100,000 infection rate. There is no direct correlation between vaccination rate and infection rate.

Rodney Crain 2 months ago

See above, I am sorry for you micky. It will be better soon.

Scott MacWilliams 2 months ago

Dirk, not sure but I think Rodney is referring to the percentage of people contracting Covid19 now. I think it was in the news recently that 99.5% of current hospital admissions due to Covid19 are unvaccinated people. Speaks to the effectiveness of the various vaccines. Vitamin D is a key part of health, but if you are counting on that to keep Covid19 at bay you might be in for a rough time.

Rodney Crain 2 months ago

Correct sir. It was in the news recently.

Micky Baker 2 months ago

That probably is true. It does not provide enough information to make the conclusions being made. It was 100% when nobody was vaccinated, now 99.5%. It seems that some are expecting everyone to be vaccinated right now!

Rodney Crain 2 months ago

sorry again micky my post went --whoosh-- over your head. I am sorry.

Micky Baker 2 months ago

There is nothing you have that is above anyone here.

Robert Brock 2 months ago

Self must have accidentally gotten too close to some Missourians.

Lance Hobson 2 months ago

Thank goodness he was vaccinated! Get poked people and avoid Missouri. This pandemic has turned into Darwin Award material and you anti-vaxers are going to win

Barry Weiss 2 months ago

well, I am vaccinated, but it is causing some concern with the rising number of breakthrough cases of Covid to those vaccinated. At least the severity appears to be down in those cases. Get well soon coach!

Dirk Medema 2 months ago

Thanks for the cool response Scott. Plenty warm these days without unnecessary flames. It’s nice to have comments that don’t require google search. Maybe it was regional news because it sounds like they’re having trouble in Missouri.

Shannon - You are probably right about needing to “take” lots of vitamin D to achieve effective levels. Vitamin pills are rarely even remotely close to the effectiveness of the natural processes. Mom/RN used to refer to them as expensive urine. The sun on the other hand is extremely effective; enough that multiple studies have proven its efficacy. Fortunately, the side effects of sunshine do not include things that have led to death - thousands of deaths, though not a part of the pharmaceutical’s drugs are good mantra.

Tim Orel 2 months ago

One side effect from sun exposure is an increase in skin cancer, I believe, though I am not a doctor. Still, I put on sun screen when I go outside for extended time.

Rodney Crain 2 months ago

Hi Dirk, I wanted to say I am sorry. I was reminded today that there are many fools who are not paying attention and not reading anymore so when someone says something that is just, well, devoid of facts or common sense. It is best just to move on. I will take my own advice and skip over you, Micky, and a few others on here. Again I am sorry it will not happen again. You are just not worth my time.

Micky Baker 2 months ago

I did post facts you ignored. Grow up. There is no correlation between higher infection rates and percentage of population with at least one vaccination shot.

Shannon Gustafson 2 months ago

Regardless of your feelings about Dirk, there is very good evidence that Vitamin D levels is linked to Covid severity. Search "Vitamin D Deficiency Covid". You'll also note the CDC mentions taking Vitamin D for this reason. It's not a "cure" but Dirk is not making up the link between the two.

Dirk Medema 2 months ago

Barry - Good observation. Do you recall comments from health officials in the latter part of 2020 warning people that had recovered from CV that it wasn’t known that recovery/the presence of antibodies in your system made you immune? Interesting that now that the same thing can be achieved artificially, we’re supposed to flip our thinking.

It’s right up there with previous pre-vaccine comments from health officials about not knowing for certain (read scientific study proving) that x, y, z non-vaccine remedy was effective, but now we should believe (without scientific proof) that the vaccines will be effective on all the variants.

I am not a medical professional but I do pay attention to what is said. Both the data and comments about the data. Data is data, but comments about data seem to be increasingly agenda driven.

Dirk Medema 2 months ago

Tim - It is true that you probably are not going to get skin cancer if you’re not exposed to the sun but also true that the amount of exposure that results in skin cancer is far beyond the amount needed to maintain adequate vitamin D levels.

Mickey - Many great points. Some of the disconnect that you have observed and mentioned is reasonable when understanding a few simple but underreported facts about testing: 1 - According to Dr Fauci from an interview with Virology Today (July 2020), the threshold of virus in the system for a positive result is so low that it is not communicable. 2 - Testing does not differentiate between active and dead virus, meaning people that are currently sick and those that were sick but have recovered. 3 - False positives and false negatives. Though not identified as such, you can see it in the sports testing. First when Coach Saban tested positive during the week but was cleared by game day. Coach Self explained the protocol a bit more when Ochai tested positive during the season. He had to receive 3 negative results on 3 different days. Those are false positives but your experience could have been a false negative. They are realities of all testing, but an inconvenient reality in this case so let’s not confuse the masses with the facts.

The ventilator comment is probably just an oversight from not staying current on the situation. It was about a year ago that doctors realized that ventilators were actually more harmful than good because of the increased pressure it creates on the lungs. I believe they now give additional oxygen but not via a ventilator.

Barry Weiss 2 months ago

Dirk, you are right, I just don't think these officials know enough about this or at least as much as they would like. Its almost like a moving target. I was really surprised today to read about John Rahm, golfer, who got Covid about 2 months ago. He recovered and also was vaccinated. One would think the antibodies from the virus alone would give him solid protection, then the vaccine on top of it......yet he just tested positive again in the last few days and will have to miss the Olympics.

Dirk Medema 2 months ago

Barry - I think it was the beach volleyball player that was also vaccinated but sent home because of a positive test result. As mentioned above, to me it would seem very possible that these are examples of false positives. They do happen in all testing, but officials are not willing to admit it in the current situation. So much spin.