Friday, September 11, 2020

KU cornerback Corione Harris reinstated

University of Kansas football cornerback Corione Harris

University of Kansas football cornerback Corione Harris

Junior cornerback Corione Harris’ eight-month suspension from the Kansas football team, dating back to a January arrest, finally reached a resolution this week, as head coach Les Miles reinstated the defensive back.

In a statement to the Journal-World on Friday afternoon, Miles said Harris’ official return to the team comes with the “expectation that he continues on a positive path.”

Harris will serve a one-game suspension during KU’s Saturday season opener versus Coastal Carolina.

“Corione has taken the appropriate steps in his personal life to work his way back on to our team,” Miles stated. “It has been made very clear to Corione what is required of him to remain a member of our program moving forward, and he assured us of his full cooperation.”

According to Missouri court documents, Harris’ lawyer earlier this week reached a plea agreement for the KU player from New Orleans. Though the initial charges in the case included delivery of a controlled substance and unlawful use of a weapon, the weapon charge was dropped and court records show his updated charge only included possession of a substance.

Court records show that Harris will serve five years supervised probation as part of the plea agreement.

Miles suspended Harris from team activities following his Jan. 19 arrest in Howell County, Mo.

Harris spent time as a starting cornerback for KU each of the past two seasons, after arriving in Lawrence as a touted four-star prospect in the class of 2018.

During his sophomore season in 2019, Harris started six games. He missed the final three games of the season due to injury. In his nine appearances, Harris made 15 total tackles and broke up two passes.

Comments

Brett McCabe 1 week, 4 days ago

I wonder if the cowards carrying assault rifles have a problem with this? Goose and Gander for the bed wetting NRA ( no offense to bed wetters).

We waste so much time and energy on drug control. We seriously need to reinvent our whole approach.

Welcome back Corione. Thank goodness those 8th-grade educated nimrods In blue didn’t light you up. That’s what they are good at.

Chris Bailey 1 week ago

Why do you come after the gun owners? Legal gun owners. And why the "assault rifle" which in case you haven't learned by now is a term made up by the media. AR stands for Armalite Rifle. Learn the correct nomenclature before spout off. And why are you even bringing up AR's? Surely his gun was a hand gun. All you do is make yourself look foolish when you do this crap. We have the 2nd for a reason, to resist against government tyranny. It's a funny thing our founders did when they wrote the constitution, they planned for the future, not simply the here and now. People like you crack me up. You're probably one of the anti-cop people too but would sh!t the bed if someone were to break in or assault you. Stop with your political rants. I'm so tired of reading them. We get it, you're a liberal and Donald Trump isn't your President. Just quit while you're ahead.

Dale Rogers 1 week, 4 days ago

The "drug" was marijuana. In many states that would not have been an issue. Apparently he had a large quantity in the car. He was coming back to school from a between-semesters/holiday trip home so I assume he was making sure he had enough for the full semester and maybe for some friends. A friend, formerly a Missouri police officer, told me possession over a certain amount (I forgot how much) is considered "Intent to distribute," which in Missouri is a felony. That intent apparently was dropped, making the possession a lesser charge (misdemeanor??). And the gun under the car seat apparently was fully legal as that charge was dropped and not part of the plea bargain (unless I misunderstand).

I think/hope he has learned from this. Welcome back, Corionne!

Chris Bailey 1 week ago

So what you're saying is the AR under his car seat, I mean according to Brett. I appreciate the logical comment Dale. And I echo your sentiments.

Dirk Medema 1 week, 4 days ago

Dale - Thank you for the informative, logical, and coherent comment.

Marc Frey 1 week, 4 days ago

When you committ a crime, don't fight with law enforcement, resist arrest, and brandish a weapon. My friends in law enforcement have 4 year degrees and more.

Dale Rogers 1 week, 3 days ago

According to the original and subsequent articles he did not "brandish a weapon." The pistol was under the seat of his car. He also, per same articles, did not resist arrest nor did he fight with law enforcement. He did, however, commit a crime. No matter how small the crime, it's still a crime.

Chris Bailey 1 week ago

Wait, Brett said it was an AR??????????????? How can this be? I guess AR stands for GUN in his world.

Dale Rogers 1 week, 3 days ago

I assume Corionne was not allowed to practice with the team prior to his reinstatement. Is that correct?

What about the players got together this summer to go through drills on their own. Not official team activities. I imagine he was able to legally participate in those although I have no idea whether he did or not.