Tuesday, November 17, 2020
As the next phase of the Kansas football rebuild under head coach Les Miles approaches, the Jayhawks on Tuesday added a fourth offensive lineman to their 2021 recruiting class.
A shade under a month out from the start of the December early signing period, Corey Robinson II, a 6-foot-5 high school offensive tackle from Roswell, Georgia, announced via Twitter he committed to KU.
Robinson, who is rated as a three-star prospect by Rivals, wrote in a note he tweeted out that his conversations with Miles and recruiting coordinator and tight ends coach Josh Eargle led to his decision.
“I could tell that these coaches would help me become the best possible player on the field,” Robinson wrote, “and an even better man off.”
KU was the first Power Five program to offer Robinson a scholarship. He had more than a dozen others to contemplate, including offers from Coastal Carolina and Liberty.
According to what Robinson told Jon Kirby of Jayhawk Slant, Eargle brought up the 275-pound prep O-lineman’s approach during their talks.
“He said he likes that I play nasty,” Robinson shared. “I play hard, and I finish every block. I try and put everybody into the ground, no matter what's going on on the field. He said he could tell I play with passion and have a true love for the game. He's seen also how I put on weight from season to season, and he can see a lot of potential.”
With Robinson’s pledge, KU currently has four O-linemen in its upcoming recruiting class, as he joins three-star Texas prep De’Kedrick Sterns, three-star Norton standout Christien Hawks and two-star Texas prospect Larson Workman.
In adding Robinson, KU essentially filled a spot left empty in its 2021 class when Edgar Amaya, a three-star prospect from Alabama, decommitted in October.
During the previous recruiting cycle, for the Class of 2020, Miles and his staff signed five offensive linemen: Armaj Adams-Reed, Garrett Jones, Bryce Cabeldue, Nicholas Martinez and Jackson Satterwhite.
As of now, KU has 21 of its maximum 25 spots in the 2021 recruiting class filled, with 18 of those players rated as three-star prospects.
All verbal commitments, of course, are nonbinding. The earliest that Class of 2021 prospects can sign and make their pledges official is Dec. 16.
• Majik Rector — 3-star Texas prep WR
• Ben Easters — 3-star Indiana prep QB
• Kelan Robinson — 3-star Texas prep WR
• Devin Neal — 3-star Lawrence prep RB
• Mason Brotherton — 3-star Arkansas prep TE
• De’Kedrick Sterns — 3-star Texas prep OL
• Andrew Simpson — 3-star California prep LB
• Trey Staley — 3-star Georgia prep LB
• Omar Burroughs — 3-star Florida prep DB
• Devonte Wilson — 3-star Florida prep DB
• Kameron Grays — 3-star Alabama prep DB
• Christien Hawks — 3-star Norton prep OT
• D’Marion Alexander — 3-star Texas prep LB
• Tommy Dunn Jr. — 3-star Texas prep DL
• Shad Dabney — 3-star Georgia prep DB
• James Wright — 3-star South Carolina DB
• Tanaka Scott Jr. — 3-star Alabama WR
• Corey Robinson II — 3-star Georgia OT
• Deldrick Withers — 2-star Arkansas prep DE
• Larson Workman — 2-star Texas prep OL
• Jayson Gilliom — 2-star Georgia prep DB