Saturday, January 11, 2020

Baylor defeats Kansas to capture first win at Allen Fieldhouse, 67-55

Kansas Jayhawks guard Ochai Agbaji (30) comes away with an offensive rebound from Baylor Bears guard Mark Vital (11) during the first half on Saturday, Jan. 11, 2020 at Allen Fieldhouse.

If a top-five matchup wasn’t enough motivation for No. 3 Kansas, being down 13 points at halftime would usually serve as a sufficient wakeup call.

But it wasn’t a vintage KU comeback at Allen Fieldhouse, as No. 4 Baylor rolled to a 67-55 victory over KU Saturday afternoon. This is Baylor’s first win in Allen Fieldhouse (previously 0-16).

The Jayhawks spent the majority of the first half crawling out of hole as KU fell down 9-3 early. And after the Jayhawks clawed their way to a 15-12 lead midway through the first half, Baylor caught fire the rest of the way to halftime. The Bears ended the first half on a 22-4 run to take a 37-24 lead.

What made matters worse for KU was sophomore guard Devon Dotson dealing with an apparent hip injury. He managed to start the second half for the Jayhawks, but went back to the bench after just one possession.

But with Dotson out, the KU offense hit a bit of a standstill. The Jayhawks managed to cut the lead to 41-36, but the Bears quickly retaliated to extend the lead back out to double digits.

Dotson did return, but still the Bears never wavered. Baylor looked to be the better team on Saturday and controlled both ends of the floor en route to road win.

Here’s a quick look back at some of the action:

• The game turned when:

Baylor went on a 22-4 run to end the first half.

After falling behind early, KU jumped back out to a 15-12 lead after switching to a four-guard lineup. Ball movement and spacing was better for the Jayhawks in this set, even if they still at times struggled to get the ball inside to senior center Udoka Azubuike.

However, Baylor found a spark of their own with eight minutes left in the first half. KU briefly switched back to a two-big lineup, and the Bears went on a run of their own. Whether it was Dotson seemingly playing hurt, KU’s inability to hit shots or the aggressive play of Baylor, the Bears soared to 22-4 run to end the first half. And the Bears never gave up that lead.

• Offensive highlight:

While KU struggled offensively for much of this game — especially with Dotson sidelined — there were still several standout plays from the Jayhawks.

And while the comeback ultimately didn’t come to fruition, a tough layup from junior guard Marcus Garrett midway through the second half seemed like it could have been the necessary spark.

Garrett, who took over point guard duties with Dotson, asked for Azubuike to clear out the lane instead of set the screen. Then, with a slight opening, Garrett charged into the paint for a contested, off-balance layup. This cut the lead to 39-34 and put KU back in striking distance.

• Defensive highlight:

Defensively KU was also suspect, but there were a handful of steals and blocks that managed to briefly stifle the Baylor attack.

One came early in the second half as KU attempted to start the comeback. Freshman guard Tristan Enaruna had just checked into the game and he made his presence felt quickly.

Baylor redshirt senior forward Freddie Gillespie caught the ball deep in the paint under the basket, looking for the easy layup. However, Enaruna was there to meet him with two hands, blocking the shot and momentarily re-energizing the Jayhawk crowd.

• Up next:

KU will next play Oklahoma on the road on Tuesday. Tip-off is at 8 p.m.

Comments

Adam Bengtson 1 week, 4 days ago

Once again Bill Self didn’t have this team ready to play. Anyone catching a theme lately? My expectations were high and man have they been slashed. We look so timid it’s puke worthy. Baylor punched Kansas and hard. Dotson has nothing to do with result either. Can we ever just not be sloppy? So disappointing and will just look at final scores until I am comfortable to watch again. The product is ass in the floor right now.

Steve Zimmerman 1 week, 4 days ago

You did realize BU has better players and better plays right? Their defense is solid, they play together very well. Almost all players are good ball handlers, can score, can defend. They have a team that can win it all this year. Kudos to BU. It means B12 is getting better.

Thomas Harrison 1 week, 4 days ago

I saw a potential FINAL FOUR team today, and it was not KU. Our lack of recruiting due to the ADIDAS FIASCO is really showing at this point. We just don't have the shooting capability to be a CHAMPIONSHIP team. Going to be a long season for the Hawks

David Friend 1 week, 4 days ago

you do know KU has a big time recruiting class next year? No the Fiasco has nothing to do with why we lost today. Outplayed out coached for sure. Look for redemption next month

Drew Doerfler 1 week, 3 days ago

i don't know what recruiting class you are referring to, but KU does NOT have a big time recruiting class...our top player is around number 20, then a juco and then in the 157 and 300 something......i wouldn't call that a great recruiting class.....it's 3rd in the big 12

Todd Hudnall 1 week, 4 days ago

For me, the story of the game was the return of Devon Dotson. With no real back up at the point, we are in big trouble without Devon. As long as he's healthy, the Jayhawks will be back. We're a good team, that met a team who today was playing much better. A hobbling Dotson made matters worse. I was impressed we were able to do as well as we did with him out. May he heal up quickly. We can't win the Big 12 without him.

David Davison 1 week, 4 days ago

What happened when he came back in? Because the game I watched didn't have KU doing anything special when he was back. We straight up lost and got owned by them in all aspects for the last 28 minutes of the game.

Todd Hudnall 1 week, 4 days ago

I'm not trying to make an excuse. We were beaten today and looked bad doing it. I'm just glad Dotson's injury appears to be something he can recover from without surgery.

Dotson wasn't at 100% and we need him at 100%. Today we probably would have lost regardless. Baylor was the better team and we looked out of synch most of the game. But Dotson wasn't Dotson and it seemed the game turned about the time he started limping.

We lost the battle - and it was a brutal loss - but with a healthy Dotson, we haven't lost the war.

Dane Pratt 1 week, 4 days ago

First Marcus, now Devon. The loss I can deal with but injuries worry me. When the season began I prayed to my God not to let Udoka succumb to an injury. I will have to extend that prayer to the entire roster.

Dane Pratt 1 week, 3 days ago

Honestly, a conference title is not that important to me. I’d rather see them beat the marquee teams and the kittens EVERY time we play them. As long as Bill has this team ready to play come March I won’t concern myself if he wins the conference or not.

Barry Weiss 1 week, 4 days ago

Baylor just manhandled us pure and simple. Very rare for that to happen at the Phog. I'm not sure I saw anything today to indicate they would not do that again. I'm surprised we won the rebound battle, but they beat us in the turnover department and the number of 3's they hit over us was the difference in the game. Our perimeter defense was not good at all. Still would like to see Ochai drive more, he just is not a physical player, like the ones Baylor threw at us. Devon was clearly still hurt when he came back in, so we need to hope this is something that heals before our next game.

Steve Zimmerman 1 week, 3 days ago

We saw Ochai struggling against BU defense. He is not a solid ball handler, but he's good without the ball: cutting, or lobs. None of plays designed for him today. It's tough when we play a team with solid players BU has. They drive the ball inside, unlike KU, they score through inside passing. That's a good basketball right there.

Clarence Haynes 1 week, 4 days ago

If your opponent has a effective perimeter oriented offense, you play the guys who can best defend it. KU didn’t do that today and paid for it!

Clarence Haynes 1 week, 4 days ago

Also, it wouldn’t surprise me if we returned the favor in Waco.

Layne Pierce 1 week, 4 days ago

Well, we know who our competition is this year! Frankly, they simply had us figured out today, I mean completely. Give Drew credit, man to man, and not zone. Drive the basket to open up the 3, and front our offense so that we had a hard time driving, and getting the ball to Doke was impossible.

This game looked a lot like the losses we had against Arizona St. They got us playing their game, and we never played ours. Good news is we get another chance, and the bad news:

We are not a good passing team, and we do way too much holding onto the ball. Whatever we were running was totally ineffectual. Doke is only open for a second or so, and we are always late, getting him the ball, unless its a dunk. We looked strangely tired today.

Coach Self has been trying to give a lot of guys a chance to show something, and the truth is there to be seen. Moss is a defensive liability, (maybe we should play a little zone?] We simply are not a good 3 point shooting team. Actually no much better than last year. So far teams that go 4 and 1 post player have been able to get us to go small, we simply do not make them pay for going small. And we are just a little better than mediocre when we do.

I think Baylor played well enough today to beat us, even if we're playing normal game, but frankly this team passes poorly, and has too many unnecessary turnovers. Right now we are looking very Frankensteinish (a mixture of parts that make up a hideous whole). Right now, I would simply surround Doke, and put pressure on Dotson, and I think we would have a hard time against anybody.

And no Dotson, and we are done. Start the bus and head for next year. Watching this game I thought of our comebacks against West Virginia, but this team ain't gonna make those kind of comebacks. If it wasn't conference time, I would say start all over. But it's too late for that, so we just have to play our game, and hope it's good enough, especially on the road.

RCJH

...

Steve Zimmerman 1 week, 3 days ago

I'm sorry Layne, I dont' believe we're at the same level as BU, not even close. They're a very well coached team, and with much better players..

Dane Pratt 1 week, 4 days ago

Ay Caramba! Was not able to watch this game but recorded it. Now I don’t know if I can watch the autopsy.

Allin Herring 1 week, 4 days ago

You don't want to watch it,trust me. Out played and out coached. Self is starting a new string. Number of years in a row not winning to Big Twelve 12.

Bryce Landon 1 week, 4 days ago

I missed this game because of work, and boy am I glad I did!

I understand that the Devon Dotson injury changed the complexion of the game. Injuries to key players do that, and I hope Devon is healthy enough to come back for the OU game on Tuesday night. But still, to get outscored 22-4 to end the first half? To be down 60-44 late in the game in your own building? To get completely embarrassed in hallowed Allen Fieldhouse on network television? Seriously, what the hell were the coaches and players doing with their time when they were supposed to be preparing for this game????

There's no sugar-coating this; this was a humiliating day in the storied history of Kansas basketball. To lose at home to a team that had never before beaten KU at home, and to lose the way we did, is just straight-up despicable.

The only thing that would take the sting out of it would be if North Carolina also lost at home to Clemson for the first time ever today.

Dane Pratt 1 week, 3 days ago

Looks like your wish came true.

Why do I not feel any better.?

Noel Backwards 1 week, 4 days ago

A lot of similarities to many of the losses under Self.

1. Opposing team has enough length to take away the entry pass to the post and does it successfully

2. Guards look completely lost without that part of the offense and none of them are willing to adjust and try to make things happen.

3. Coach waits to make adjustments until said opponent gains supreme confidence that they can actually beat the mighty Jayhawks

4. Said confidence carries that team to some unreal shots and a multitude of steals and a win

All too often this is how the losses look from my perspective no matter how the personnel are. The exception to this was the Frank and Devonte teams 2 and 3 years ago. The makeup of personnel on those teams forced Self to drastically change the offense to look a little more modern and it only took 2 seasons to get back to a FF. Those 2 seasons were a revelation for me and I thought that would be the same for the coaches. Of course those seniors had no quit and would take over if they had to. We haven’t had that on the perimeter since those guys were here with the exception of Lagerald’s short explosion last season.

Noel Backwards 1 week, 4 days ago

And my original comment wasn’t meant to take anything away from Baylor. That’s probably the best team I’ve seen so far this year in CBB. Not even just this game I’ve watched a few. Regardless, you don’t expect them to come into AFH and win that way.

Adam James 1 week, 3 days ago

What is holding this team back and will keep us from a Final Four

1. Devon is not as good a guard as talked about.
  2. Ochai Is average combo guard at best. Enough said.

Barry Weiss 1 week, 3 days ago

Ochai is similar to Wiggins in that you always want something more. Clearly he is not the talent that Wiggins is, but just the view that he never seems to be going full throttle. Without being a strong 3 ball man, all that is left is for him to slash and take it to the hoop, but he rarely does it. I'm hoping he starts coming along, we need him to step up, probably more than any other starter.