Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Quick recap: No. 3 Kansas overwhelms Iowa State in Hilton Coliseum

Iowa State guard Prentiss Nixon steals the ball from Kansas guard Ochai Agbaji, right, during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2020, in Ames, Iowa. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

It wasn’t a typical Kansas-Iowa State matchup in Ames, Iowa.

After years of tightly-contested battles between Big 12 foes, the first such matchup of the new decade was anything but that. No. 3 Kansas overwhelmed Iowa State from start to finish in its 79-53 win Wednesday night in Hilton Coliseum.

It marks the first time that the Jayhawks (12-2, 2-0 Big 12) have defeated the Cyclones (7-7, 0-2) by double digits in their own building since a 12-point win in 2013. The last time KU won by at least 20 at ISU was an 89-66 victory on Feb. 12, 2011.

At least early on, the two teams went back-and-forth and the score was tied at 17-17 at the 13:33 mark. Kansas center Udoka Azubuike then gifted the Jayhawks a lead that they wouldn’t relinquish with a slam off an assist by David McCormack.

None by Tyler Greever

Kansas, which never trailed at any point in its first conference game away from home, proceeded to close the first half on a 21-3 run to take a 46-26 advantage by intermission. And the game was really never in doubt after that.

Four players scored in double figures for Kansas. Sophomore point guard Devon Dotson led the team with 20 points on 7-of-13 shooting. Sophomores Ochai Agbaji and David McCormack each added 16 points. Azubuike finished with 10 points in the win.

Junior Marcus Garrett tweaked his ankle in the first half, but ultimately returned to action.

Kansas will play host to No. 4 Baylor at 12 p.m. Saturday.

Comments

Creg Bohrer 1 year ago

Well.. So much for that rivalry,,

Jeff Bandle 1 year ago

That was a beat down..haven't seen that at Ames in a long time.

Dane Pratt 1 year ago

It was so quiet at the Hilton I think I heard a mouse farting.

Tony Bandle 1 year ago

Since I am old school and refuse to give them another penny, I followed the game on the computer and kept thinking that this was a Hilton Colosseum in an alternative universe.

I think I-State is going to bite the big one this year.

P.S. Yes, the gentleman listed above is my much younger and much smarter little brother. We both have a brother who is an Iowa State alum who is probably not very happy right now!!! :)

Bryce Landon 1 year ago

I hate Iowa State. I hate everything about them - their racist, white trash fans, their thuggish players, their McDonald's school colors - EVERYTHING. So to go to that dumpster that is Hilton Coliseum and not only beat them but kick their asses in the process means the world to me! Rock Chalk Jayhawk! To hell with the Cry-Clowns!

Tony Bandle 1 year ago

Bryce, next time, don't hold back...tell us what you really think!! :)

RJ King 1 year ago

I hate stereotyping ... and overuse of really tired nicknames.

I love defense - switching on the pick and roll, poise, emerging freshmen, Dotson 20 pts, 6 assists, Ochai 4 of 5 from three, McCormack's slam + 7 boards, Dok 4 of 5 at the line, and a healthy Garrett.

RJ King 1 year ago

AND continuing to compete with a 20+ pt lead, and 3-5 minutes left. Last several years (including this season) they have seemed complacent with a large lead and/or had trouble closing at the end. Not this game.