Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Snoop Dogg says KU shouldn’t be surprised by his Allen Fieldhouse show

Rapper Snoop Dogg performs for the Allen Fieldhouse crowd during Late Night in the Phog on Friday, Oct. 4, 2019 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Snoop Dogg may have two G’s in his name, but the hip-hop artist said he certainly didn’t make any promises to make his recent show at Allen Fieldhouse G-rated.

Snoop Dogg was on the Howard Stern radio program on Tuesday and was asked about his Late Night in the Phog performance that led to KU officials apologizing for the show’s content, which included stripper poles being wheeled onto the court and a money gun that shot fake $100 bills over the heads of prospective recruits.

The entertainment website TMZ reported that Snoop Dogg told Stern he was shocked when KU issued an apology.

“The audience enjoyed that (expletive,) Snoop Dogg said, according to the TMZ report. “I don’t know what the (expletive) they’re talking about.”

Snoop Dogg said he had a great night in Lawrence, and he still believes KU knew what it was getting when the school agreed to have him perform.

“I think it is more the publicity of what I did,” Snoop Dogg said, according to TMZ. “And I respect them and wasn’t going to put no smut on their name and say they did anything wrong because they invited me to come do what I do.

“And when you pay for Snoop Dog, you going to get Snoop Dogg.”

Comments

Ben Berglund 4 days, 19 hours ago

I completely agree with Snoop's analysis, and was surprised when I heard there was controversy around elements that should not be surprising given the nature of the artist

Gerry Butler 4 days, 18 hours ago

I couldn't agree more. you can't tell me that we didn't know what we were getting when they brought Snoop in. -- pretty simple you offended - - LEAVE.- - nobody forcing anybody to stay - - It was a big hit with recruits - -already been quoted by multiple recruits how great it was to see Snoop. -- remember just BREATHE - it's gonna be ok. - -If anything KU made things look worse by apologizing - -shouldn't have nothing been said

Chris Condren 4 days, 8 hours ago

Snoop is correct. The stuffed shirts at KU are expressing buyers remorse.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 4 days, 6 hours ago

It wouldn’t have been a story if it weren’t for the apology. “Hey, we’re sorry if we offended anyone but that’s why we put it at the end of the program so people could leave without missing out on any of the basketball skits and scrimmage. 99.9% of the crowd in attendance had a great time. Snoop is an incredible entertainer and the show was all in good fun.” The end.

Freddie Garza 4 days, 5 hours ago

University: wants wholesome, family oriented entertainment at Late Night in the Phog ALSO University: books Snoop Dogg to perform at Late Night in the Phog

Keith Gellar 4 days, 4 hours ago

Self and Long are to be blamed for this! Plain and simple. Idk abt Long, but Bill Self has to know who Snoop Dogg is. At the end of the day, Bill okayed this. For everyone saying Bill didn't make the decision - please STFU!! Late night is an event targeted for recruits. You are telling me the head coach has no clue what's planned and what the entertainment is.

Self is just on a downward spiral. Hits keep on coming. i just don't know how much more he can take before he bolts. this is a serious concern which should be at the forefront. Without a top 3 bball program, KU and its fans have no identity.

Phil Leister 4 days ago

You've inferred a lot from my three words asking you a simple question.

Joe Ross 4 days, 1 hour ago

If Self is in trouble, I guarantee it has absolutely NOTHING to do with Snoop. It may have a little to do with some potential recruiting violations. See, one is actually against NCAA regulations and the other isn't.

Don't compare oranges with apples. They're not the same thing.

David Robinett 4 days, 3 hours ago

I’m not sure Self and Long are to be “blind“. I believe it was all by design, including the public apology - which generated additional publicity . . Let’s face it, they did not book Snoop to appeal to the family atmosphere but to the recruits. Plus the parts of the video I watched looked pretty darn tame, other than the suggestion of pole dancers. But it’s not like they were naked or anything.

Joe Ross 4 days, 1 hour ago

This was the best Late Night in Allen Field House ever (and Snoop made sure of that). Judging from the response of the athletic department, it looks like Late NIght entertainment is all downhill in the future. With the apology we've gotten ourselves out on a branch that we can't crawl back off of.

Michael Sillman 4 days, 1 hour ago

Much ado about nothing. Was there even an outpouring of concern that motivated an apology? “Radio friendly” means nothing overtly offensive would be said but does not cover visual props such as dance poles or money guns. However those items appear in a lot of mainstream productions.

Chad Smith 3 days, 23 hours ago

Neither Snoop Nor Ku should have to apologize. It's musical entertainment that didn't break any laws. It's not against the law to imitate stripper poles in a musical performance.

It's Snoop D-O Double G. Recruits loved it by all accounts. Pop it like it's hot jayhawks.

Tony Bandle 3 days, 18 hours ago

I guess the Bible Belt just got a notch or two tighter!!! :)