Thursday, October 3, 2019

Apologetic Khalil Herbert: ‘I intended to come back’ to play for KU in 2020

Blue team running back Khalil Herbert runs in a touchdown during Late Night Under the Lights on Saturday, April, 13, 2019 at Memorial Stadium.

Former Kansas running back Khalil Herbert on Thursday evening shared his side of what led to him leaving KU’s football program.

In a letter Herbert posted to Twitter and Instagram, he wrote that it wasn’t initially his intention to leave the Jayhawks when he decided to redshirt.

“I intended to come back for my redshirt senior year, not to transfer or to leave my teammates,” Herbert wrote. “Redshirting had many unforeseen consequences that my family and I did not know would result from this decision. Although things did not work out the way either side intended, I want you to know my intention was not to hurt the university, Jayhawk Nation, or my teammates.”

Herbert addressed his letter to the University of Kansas, Jayhawk Nation and “My Bruddas.”

The running back, who was the team’s leading rusher at the time of his decision, which was on the eve of KU’s Week 5 game at TCU, wrote to his teammates, “I love and miss you all already. I’m sorry things turned out the way they did because this was the last thing I wanted.”

According to a KU spokesperson, Herbert remains enrolled at KU. Head coach Les Miles announced Wednesday that Herbert was no longer with the program. Miles hasn't described what kind of conversations Herbert and KU coaches had about him redshirting.

In KU’s first four games, Herbert provided 8.9 yards per carry, 96 yards per game and two rushing touchdowns. His abruptly shortened season concluded with him contributing 384 yards on 43 carries.

As a potential graduate transfer, Herbert could play for another program in 2020 without sitting out a year.

None by Khalil Herbert

Comments

Dale Rogers 10 months, 1 week ago

We will definitely miss him and our offense has taken a major hit but he did what he felt was best and his intentions were good. This should be seen to all regular commenters here as one of the reasons why they should not keep jumping to quick conclusions without benefit of knowledge of reality.

Dane Pratt 10 months, 1 week ago

I harbor no grudges against Khalil but his tweet does not answer questions about why he is leaving KU. If he wants to play an extra year of college he could do so as a graduate transfer. If he wants to redshirt this season and return to KU next year he could do that as well.

Michael Maris 10 months, 1 week ago

Strange turn of events to say the least. If he wanted to red-shirt and return in 2020, I don't understand why he's no longer a part of the Jayhawk's Football team (going forward then). Very strange.

Brett McCabe 10 months, 1 week ago

Unforeseen circumstances could mean a lot of things, and those things would have been foreseen in consultation with the coaching staff. Really doesn’t clear up anything and seems really sketchy, frankly. What would he have gained by returning to KU? An improved team? Probably, but certainly no guarantee of a bowl game or a starring role with Pooka coming back and Gardner developing. I earlier posted that he had earned a right to transfer but, with more time to consider, he did a lot of damage with the timing of his announcement.

Many of he NCAA rules are lined up against the athletes but Khalil should have worked this out before the season started or stuck it out. Dumping his team right before a game was a no-class move, especially after taking up practice time, game-planning, etc. that could have been used on another back. Not to mention the opportunity he took from another Senior who could have gone down to media days in Dallas. I won’t make excuses for our pathetic showing in Fort Worth, but I would assume his departure caused a bit of disarray for a team that needed every ounce of focus possible.

He botched it. No long letters will fix it.

Joe Black 10 months ago

Yes Brett everything is always sketchy. It's a conspiracy by the NCAA or better yet the athletic department at KU because as we know (Brett keeps telling us) KU's athletic department is the sketchiest of all colleges in America.

Jeff Kallmeyer 10 months ago

I agree wholeheartedly Brett, especially with your 2nd paragraph. I don't think he had any intention of coming back next year, just a classless statement and attempt to CYA his pathetic actions.

Brian Skelly 10 months, 1 week ago

I don't care what folks think, but it APPEARS to be poor form on Khalil's part.    There's probably stuff we don't know going on the inside, which is probably what led to all decisions.

What I wonder about, is did he think Coach Miles would want this?   For him to bail on this season, then come back next season?    That's what we don't know.    Or did the coaches push him to redshirt,  come back,  and then he says forget this, Im leaving?    There's not enough info from inside the program to know this at this point.

That said, this happens ALL the time in college football.    We just don't hear about it because it's usually not KU.    My guess is he thought about saving another year of eligibility for elsewhere,  and Miles said "fine, go."   If that's true,  it's hard to see where would be a better opportunity to play than here.

I am confident Miles didn't run him off.    This team isn't good enough to run off good players.

David Robinett 10 months ago

I hope he’s not our leading rusher by the end of the season…

Brett McCabe 10 months ago

@Joe Black. You win for the most irrelevant, nonsensical, off-topic and obtuse comment of the day. You realize you posted exactly the opposite of what I said, right? Make it up, pin it on someone else and hold them responsible. The guy with the fake screen name should change it to King Straw Man.

Barry Weiss 10 months ago

This is pretty sketchy to say the least. To not know all of the ramifications of red shirting makes zero sense. Something is fishy here.

Dale Rogers 10 months ago

The only "unexpected" result of redshirting I can think of is if the coaches said he can redshirt but will have to give up the scholarship during that redshirt year because they'd give it to one of the walkons. I don't think that's very common but every other side effect of redshirting I can think of is known and thus not unexpected.