Originally published November 11, 2019 at 5:42 p.m., updated November 11, 2019 at 6:50 p.m.
The Kansas football program’s 2020 recruiting class looks a little smaller as of Monday, when two potential signees — both of whom are high school offensive linemen — announced their futures won’t include playing for KU.
Both Jackson Stoefen, rated by Rivals as a three-star offensive lineman from Iowa, and Tommy Brandt, a two-star O-lineman, shared hours apart via Twitter that they no longer were committed to KU.
“At this point in time, Kansas is going in a different direction,” Stoefen wrote in a note he posted. “So I will be taking the opportunity to look at other schools.”
On Monday evening Brandt wrote in his own note, “I have decided to reopen my recruitment 100% and am parting ways with the University of Kansas.”
Brandt is rated as a three-star offensive tackle by 247Sports.
With neither Stoefen nor Brandt tied to the program any longer, head coach Les Miles and his staff now have 24 commitments in place for the 2020 class.
Stoefen reiterated to 247Sports on Monday that the KU staff “is headed in a different direction at this time” and he decided to “look elsewhere” because it will be best for his future.
A knee injury Stoefen suffered earlier this fall ended his high school season prematurely.
While reasons for changing commitment plans can vary from athlete to athlete, when Stoefen and Brandt came off KU’s recruiting board, it brought the total of class of 2020 prospects to cut ties with KU to five.
The Jayhawks currently have commitments in place from two offensive linemen: Garrett Jones and Nicholas Martinez.
All verbal commitments, of course, are nonbinding. Football recruits in the 2020 class have the opportunity to sign at the earliest between Dec. 18 and Dec. 20, before National Signing Day comes on Feb. 5, 2020.
-KU football 2020 verbal commitments
• Brennon Scott - 4-star LB from Texas
• Duece Mayberry - 3-star CB from Oklahoma
• Trevor Kardell - 3-star TE from Missouri
• Will Huggins - 3-star TE from Kansas
• Krishawn Brown - 3-star LB from Oklahoma
• Khari Coleman - 3-star DE from Louisiana
• Garrett Jones - 3-star OL from Michigan
• Ja’Cobee Bryant - 3-star CB from Alabama
• Malik Johnson - 3-star WR from Texas
• Caleb Taylor - 3-star DE from Missouri
• Kenean Caldwell - 3-star DT from Louisiana
• Jaylin Richardson - 3-star athlete from Kansas
• Taiwan Berryhill - 3-star LB from Louisiana
• Lawrence Arnold - 3-star WR from Texas
• Chris Jones - 3-star DE from Florida
• Tanner Hooker - 3-star CB from Louisiana
• Alonso Person - 3-star LB from California
• Steven McBride - 3-star WR from Louisiana
• Da'Vonshai Harden Jr. - 2-star QB from Kansas
• Luke Grimm - 2-star WR from Missouri
• Juan Jarrett - 2-star LB from Ohio
• Nicholas Martinez - 2-star OL from California
• Kyler Pearson - 2-star WR from Oklahoma
• Daniel Hishaw Jr. - 2-star athlete from Oklahoma
- Former 2020 KU commitments
• Keith Miller III - 3-star WR from Texas (flipped to Colorado)
• Kershawn Fisher - 3-star LB from Louisiana
• Keenan Hambrick - 3-star WR from Alabama
• Jackson Stoefen - 3-star OL from Iowa
• Tommy Brandt - 2-star OL from Minnesota