Thursday, May 30, 2019

KU target Jalen Wilson ready for Kansas visit

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Ten spots are spoken for, three scholarships remain and the Kansas men’s basketball program is moving full-speed ahead toward finalizing its roster for the 2019-20 season.

One day after learning that star point guard Devon Dotson was returning to KU for his sophomore season and fellow-freshman Quentin Grimes was transferring to continue his career elsewhere, Kansas prepared to welcome 4-star prospect Jalen Wilson to town for the start of what figures to be a very intense and interesting 7-10 days for the No. 47-ranked player in the 2019 recruiting class.

Wilson was scheduled to arrive in Lawrence around 7:30 p.m. Thursday night and is expected to spend the next couple of days seeing the ins and outs of the KU program.

His goal for the visit is simple — find out where he fits in.

“All the schools that are on me heavy are schools that need a wing,” The 6-foot-8, 210-pound forward recently said in an Instagram Live interview with Tipton Edits. “That’s what I’m really going off now, schools that are really in need of me.”

This weekend’s visit will not be Wilson’s first time on KU’s campus. Wilson took an unofficial visit to KU back in January of 2018, but this visit, will be vastly different than his unofficial visit both in terms of the time and attention he’ll receive from the Kansas coaches and what’s at stake in terms of the timing of the visit.

“Just to see what he has in store if I was to come there, what he envisions for me, what my role would be, stuff like that,” said Wilson of what he wants to learn from KU coach Bill Self this weekend. “I’m getting down to the wire with coaches (and I’d like to know), ‘What do you see me playing and how do I fit in the system?’”

Previously a part of Michigan’s 2019 recruiting class, Wilson became available when former Wolverines coach John Beilein made the jump to the NBA. Soon thereafter, the 4-star forward from Guyer High in Denton, Texas, requested and received his release from Michigan and reopened his recruitment.

Although no lists have been officially released, Wilson appears to be down to three programs during his second run on the recruiting trail — Kansas, North Carolina and Michigan. Florida and Oklahoma State also remain in the mix, but only Kansas and North Carolina (June 4) currently have visits scheduled.

A Wednesday report from Sam Webb, who covers Michigan basketball for 247 Sports, said new Michigan coach Juwan Howard also planned to meet with Wilson in the near future. But there’s little doubt that Howard and the Wolverines will be playing catch up at this point, with Wilson already having established long-standing relationships with the KU coaching staff, particularly Kansas assistant Jerrance Howard, who is listed as the lead recruiter for Wilson.

“Growing up, I loved the Morris twins,” he said of former Jayhawks and current pros Marcus and Markieff Morris. “I love Kansas basketball, Allen Fieldhouse, that atmosphere is crazy. The college itself is so alive; it never dies. Coach Self and his staff are great coaches and they’re really cool. It’s not even a coach-to-player relationship, it’s just I’m here to make you get better and make you reach your dreams and that’s what I really like about them.”

A four-year varsity player at Guyer High in Denton, Texas, Wilson averaged better than 16 points, 6 rebounds and 3 assists in high school and also scored nearly 20 a game while playing on the Gauntlet AAU circuit.

He currently lauds his versatility and ability to play multiple positions — most notably the big wing position a la recent KU stars Josh Jackson and Svi Mykhailiuk — as his biggest strength and has not tried to hide what he believes he can offer any program.

“My plans for college are not to come in and sit,” he said. “I feel like I’m the best player on every school I’m considering, so I just want to make an impact and win.”

Wilson's addition to KU's 2019 recruiting class would have an immediate impact. Currently ranked No. 31 in the nation by both Rivals.com and 247 Sports, KU's 2019 class, with Wilson, would jump all the way up to No. 15 in the 247 Sports rankings, according to the site's class calculator.

All three players already signed in KU's 2019 class are 4-star prospects, with guards Christian Braun and Issac McBride and forward Tristan Enaruna ready to join the 2019-20 roster.

The first session of summer school begins Tuesday.

Comments

Len Shaffer 2 weeks, 1 day ago

"I feel like I’m the best player on every school I’m considering, so I just want to make an impact and win."

I can't say I love that statement, but hopefully it just means he's confident and not full of himself.

Jesse Johnson 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Yeah, not a big fan of that attitude. I hope you're right that it's more a confidence thing than an over-confidence thing.

RJ King 2 weeks, 1 day ago

I'm guessing he was trying to express confidence in himself - and that he's not easily intimidated - and that it just kind of came out (a little) wrong.

Jesse Johnson 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Confused by a few things in this article:

" Currently ranked No. 31 in the nation by both Rivals.com and 247 Sports"

Previously in the article you mentioned he was the No. 47 recruit, and I confirmed that is the case on Rivals, but here you say he's No. 31 by Rivals.

"During his Instagram Live interview, Wilson confirmed that he pretty much had settled on picking KU before he made his visit to Michigan."

Wait, when did this happen? Was this a long time ago before he committed to Michigan, then the Michigan visit changed his mind? Need context here.

Jesse Johnson 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Also, just checked 247 Sports and he's ranked No 50 there. So really no idea where you got No 31 from.

Gerry Butler 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Matt is talking about KU as a Team is currently ranked 31th in the National ranking , but if they land Jalen they would jump up to 15th in the Nation. - - Jalen is rated as the 50th ranked player - -BUT Evan Daniels said he feels that Jalen was under ranked and felt he should of been 10 - -15 positions higher. - it was either Evan Daniels or Jerry Meyer that had made that statement

Ray Winger 2 weeks, 1 day ago

It means to me, He is not afraid of competition from teammates for PT. He wants to add to the team. I took it 'all good'! Doesn't need any statement from Coaches saying he will have X minutes a game or be started!
I love him saying this, Rock and Roll, show me you are better than Lightfoot, Let's Go!!

Brian Leslie 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Well, better than Agbaji and Garrett. Lightfoot is not going to spend much if any time at the 3.

Steve Corder 2 weeks, 1 day ago

He brings shooting and versatility in the lineup, and every team wants that. Hope he sees himself in a KU uniform!

Robert Brock 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Is Snacks ready to whiff on Wilson a second time?

Gerry Butler 2 weeks, 1 day ago

I'm glad he is confident. He has an edge , something that has been missing for awhile here. - If you know your good , and you can back your game then get some. - -Do your thing. He better have confidence - - be confident - if he doesn't then were screwed - Like they say don't hate the player - - hate the game. - Nothing wrong with a kid having some edge to him - let him show the competition that he belongs - he deserves those minutes - let the others worry about coming to try and take his minutes - like was stated just feels/sounds like he for sure is not afraid of competition - -that's EXACTLY what this team needs. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Jeff Coffman 2 weeks, 1 day ago

If he plays the 3, there is no reason why he shouldn't come to KU. With Grimes and Vick gone those minutes go to a shooter. I like a 6'8" wing.

Steve Zimmerman 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Too weak, slooow, but I'm 100% sure, let's bet, we'll land him eventually.

Matt Stone 2 weeks, 1 day ago

I like his confidence because Grimes didn't have it. Ready for a guy that wants to fight to make a team. My only issue is what is our lineup if he picks KU? Most likely is Dok, DeSousa, Wilson, Garrett and Dotson. Gave nod to Wilson as starter over Enaruna based on his previous scoring was higher, rebounded better and 37% 3 pt shooting. C Dok/McCormack PF DeSousa/Lightfoot SF Wilson/Enaruna SG Garrett/Agbaji/Braun PG Dotson/McBride

Matt Stone 2 weeks, 1 day ago

On a side note, I am hoping that C/F N'Faly Dante is seriously considering reclassifying and joining KU this year too. Another athletic rim protector would be great depth for C/F positions. https://www.prepcircuit.com/roster_players/26719125?subseason= Derryck Thornton, Jr. Would be a great get for PG depth Jordan Brown would be a nice transfer for next year. Believe KU was in his top 5 before he committed to Nevada last year.

Just a wish list.

Andy Godwin 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Have to believe Self will try and find a transfer (who will sit out next season) to help fill out the roster. Need a competitive scout team to make the other players better.

Dirk Medema 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Matt - Ochai started last year at the 3 spot. I find it hard to believe that he turns into a backup 2 this year to a couple 4*.

Pius Waldman 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Well words while recruiting are always over rated. Coach K tells his recruits he will take care of them after they complete eligibility. That sounds good and Self can tell recruits what they like to hear. Once they arrive they have to show their worth to gain playing time. Wilson will get much attention from the new coach at Michigan. A guy from Texas should want to play some games in Texas. Maybe that will be a factor.

Joe Baker 1 week, 4 days ago

This kids is a great 4star recruit but he acts like KU needs him more then he needs KU. He’s 18 or 19, but this kid needs to grow up a little bit. He’s not the man in high school and he is talking to Blue Blood schools.
I would like him to choose KU, but after seeing some of his videos streamed online, he seems like a spoiled b-ball boy that’s a little full of himself. I think Self can kick his azz real quick. But yes, Juwan Howard will tell this kid whatever he wants to hear. Howard is not a proven coach with any coaching record. Even Penny Hardaway is not that great of a coach. Kids are choosing due to former NBA player status. I can’t believe Manning didn’t get much NBA influence. Manning had way more recruiting success coaching at KU, especially bigs! I don’t think Howard is a good coaching choice this early, Michigan, maybe. It will be like the kid that went to Indiana and he was a 5 Star. What was his name and where is he now?