Sunday, March 17, 2019

Kansas earns No. 4 seed in Midwest, will face Northeastern in opening round

during the first half, Friday, March 15, 2019 at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

For the first time in awhile, there was plenty of uncertainty regarding the Kansas men’s basketball team on Selection Sunday.

Kansas (25-9) was given the fourth seed in the Midwest region for the 2019 NCAA tournament, which was announced during Sunday’s selection show. It marked the first time since 2009 that the Jayhawks have not been a 1 or 2 seed. Prior to this season, they were a 1 seed for three consecutive years.

In the opening round of the tourney, KU will face No. 13 seed Northeastern in Salt Lake City, Utah on Thursday. With a win, Kansas would face the winner of No. 5 seed Auburn and No. 12 seed New Mexico State in the second round on Saturday.

North Carolina is the No. 1 seed in KU's region, while Kentucky is the No. 2 seed. The Sweet 16 and Elite Eight are slated to take place in the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

Per Action Network, Kansas is an 11-point favorite over Northeastern with an 86.3 percent chance of winning the opening round.

This is the first time Kansas has been a No. 4 seed since 2006 when the team suffered an upset to Bradley in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Entering the NCAA tournament, the Jayhawks won three of their last four games, including a pair of contests in the Big 12 tournament. Kansas ultimately fell to Iowa State by a 78-66 margin in the Big 12 championship game.

Comments

Dane Pratt 9 months ago

I'll be happy if we beat Northeastern, thrilled if we get past the first weekend, surprised if we get past the 3rd round.

Brett McCabe 9 months ago

What a complete bs post. No question that this team should be into the second weekend. Anything less is a complete failure by Self and Company (Adidas). These young men are doing their best. It'll be interesting to see if the coaches can do their jobs.

Dane Pratt 9 months ago

Agree, but we’ve seen better teams than this one not make it out of the first weekend. Remember Bucknell, Bradley, Northern Iowa, Wichita State? All 1st and 2nd round defeats. Wish you hadn’t forced me to dredge up painful past memories.

duke hester 9 months ago

and I say.....RCJ GKU This is a team that just may surprise many.... never know what triggers may have been tripped from season ending.
GO HAWKS

Robert Brock 9 months ago

If the Jayhawks don’t start showing some offensive savvy, they won’t make it out of the first weekend.

Andy Godwin 9 months ago

Happy to be surprised, but even Jay Bilas, a Bill Self and KU supporter does not expect KU to advance out of Salt Lake, and suggested that they could/will lose in their first game. They have an opportunity to play in the Sprint Center, but very unlikely. KU has not won consistently against good teams without Udoka and now you understand that the Big 12 is not viewed as a great conference - only 6 teams received an invitation and the top Big 12 seed is only a 3 (TTU), followed by 2 4 seeds (KU and KSU). Compared to the ACC where Duke, UNC, and Virginia were given #1 seeds. The CBS broadcasters referred to KU as limping into the tournament, which is fair. Clearly, KU is not playing great so time to reset and try to capture some momentum. Rock Chalk, but not playing on traveling this year to watch KU in the NCAA.

Bryce Landon 9 months ago

Oklahoma didn't deserve to be in. They finished sub-.500 in league play and didn't even make it out of the tournament preliminary round. Seriously, how does OU always get favorable treatment from the Selection Committee? Are they making under-the-table payments to the Committee or something?

Craig Alexander 9 months ago

I love our Hawks but if we win and meet up with Auburn, I believe we will be toast. Auburn is hot. Happy to be wrong though.

Craig Carson 9 months ago

now would be a good time for KU to catch fire and finally start playing up to their talent....

Corey Shideler 9 months ago

I’m with Craig. We will be good next year but Auburn might bring KU fans back to earth if this season hasn’t already done that. Laughable 3pt ability, sloppiness, lack of perimeter defense, no dog, etc...

Brad Watson 9 months ago

If we play TOUGH......BE MENTALLY TOUGH.........and have an IRON WILL ......we have enough talent to get to KC and play Roy Boy......but we have to be tough......every player.....every coach.....every manager.....everyone involved with the program.......need to start wearing their game face immediately......all week.....this is serious......and it needs to be treated that way.........no more playing around.......March is not for SOFTIES............YOU GOTTA WANT IT.......YOU GOTTA WANT IT BADLY!!!!!

Joe Ross 9 months ago

Guys I understand the frustration. Believe me. I GET IT!

But look at the following. We lost Udoka. We lost Vick. Grimes as a freshman didn't produce to expectation. Moore's play at PG has been underwhelming. We fielded a totally new crop of guys this year, which means that we were both lacking in chemistry AND Big 12 experience.

...and still we were in the running for the regular season championship until the next to last weekend in Big 12 play.

I would guess everyone including Udoka will be back next year. I don't know if his stock moved enough with the injury. Time will tell, but I won't hang my hat on it. Either way, Kansas will be much better next season than they were this year.

The stance I'd take if I were HCBS is that we're playing with house money, so just let it fly. Kansas is still a very dangerous team.

Matt Gauntt 9 months ago

Thanks for always putting in a dose of common sense, Joe. I get frustrated at all of the doom and gloom that some like to share every day.

Craig Carson 9 months ago

personally, Im not counting on Dok or Lawson coming back....2 injuries in 3 seasons could motivate Dok to leave for whatever $$ he can get...1st round or not...as for Lawson, yeah you could argue that his game might not translate to the NBA, but would he really improve that much if he stayed?? im guessing no...everyone else should be back..but it will make signing another quality big man vitally important...but honestly, we need to be more concerned about if the NCAA will even let KU play in the NCAA next season..seeing how harsh they were with DeSousa, it has me nervous how harsh they will be towards us in terms of sanctions

Chad Smith 9 months ago

Just focus on beating northeastern. I Could give a crap about UNC, Auburn, Kentucky, etc.. right now. We can play with any of those teams, we're also inconsistent enough to lose in the 1st round. Im with Joe, we got house money, zero expectations and talent on our squad, let's play hard hungry and no holds barred and see what happens. Rock Chalk!

Greg Bowles 9 months ago

I live just 45 Minutes from the Vivint Smart Arena, but the tickets are WAY TO EXPENSIVE! Don't they usually have a fan party sometime before the games start? If anyone knows where that would be, please let me know. I would love to support the team however I can.

Adam Bengtson 9 months ago

KU will play well and shoot 40% from 3 against Northeastern. We will all get excited and think this team is hit the reset button, and then they will s*** on themselves in the 2nd round and shoot 34%.

Craig Carson 9 months ago

might be a weird perspective but its how they've played all year..shoot good 1 game then look like a HS team in the next...they lack consistency..its just what it is...teams know KU's outside shooting is spotty at best...just double Lawson and wham..KU offense stopped...McCormack needs to feast if KU is to move past the opening weekend

Hal Urbanek 9 months ago

I'll just invoke "Danny & The Miracles" Both teams were 3rd out in conference play...both teams were/are not expected to go to the final four...the current team has a better seeding 4 vs. 6...the current team has a better record. The current team has arguably more talent. So let's go get it!!!❤💙

Jeff Kallmeyer 9 months ago

No comparison, we have nobody even close to Danny and we're too soft!

KD Krase 9 months ago

Is it too early to say "who will be back next year"? I haven't seen much that would say any of the Jayhawks could go pro. Maybe D. Lawson, but can he compete at the pro level? Anyone else?

Cora Smith 9 months ago

I think Lawson will go in the draft and I would not be surprised if there was a transfer or two. I am concerned that the high school kid out of Rochester MN will go to Duke. He is 6'10" and we will need him on the interior. Will Azabuke pull an Embiid and go pro injured? Thoughts

KD Krase 9 months ago

I think that Lawson will also go pro, but can he jump? I've never seen him dunk the ball or sky for a rebound. He is very talented around the hoop and rebounds well in college, but I think that pros will push him around. Dok, on the other hand, I don't see that he made much progress in becoming a desirable pro prospect before he got hurt. I think that he needs to show another full year of development. All of the guards need more development at shooting and driving to the hoop.

Bryce Landon 9 months ago

I've been doing brackets ever since I was 16. Nearly every year I pick Kansas to win it all. (Only been right once, in 2008) This year, I picked Kansas to lose to Auburn in the Round of 32, and Virginia to win it all. It's depressing, but it's realistic. I simply haven't seen enough the last couple months to show me that KU has what it takes to make a deep run or win the title.

Here's hoping and praying that I am wrong and the Jayhawks bust my bracket.

Joe Ross 9 months ago

From the maturity of your comments, I had imagined you've only filled out 3 brackets and that you're 19 years old.

How's Iowa?

Bryce Landon 9 months ago

I don't give a damn about Hawkeye basketball. And I give even less of a damn about what you think of me. Go f*** off.

Armen Kurdian 9 months ago

Oh well, there's always football season....

NO! They are a hard bunch of fighters that weren't supposed to be playing with this lineup, down three starters, that is really hard to get past. Our defense isn't that great, we need Mitch to play a lot more minutes. And we have to be fast, really fast on offense, we need a lot of points in transition, whether in the paint or the open 3. I just want them to win because I don't want the season to be over.

As always, root for all the Big XII teams, if not us, maybe one of our compadres can cut down some nets.

Craig Carson 9 months ago

honestly, I expect KU's season to end when they play Auburn, especially with how they whopped Tennessee...hell, the Northeastern game isnt even given..this KU team just doesnt have enough consistent outside shooting to make it very far...shut down Lawson and KU stalls...Im holding out hope that KU can make the sweet 16..maybe they can finally find some outside shooting and Utah State can take out UNC..I would hate for KU to make the sweet 16 only to get smashed by 30 by UNC in Sprint Center....1 piss poor performance in Sprint Center a season is all I can handle LOL

Jeff Coffman 9 months ago

KU is 7-1 I neutral games, undefeated at home.
ISU the lone loss and that was a pro ISU crowd. They have not produced on the road. KU will be SLC where the other three teams went travel well, KU will. This weekend might be tough, but i expect both wins. Then they basically go home to play the next two. If KU UK and UNC are there, this is going to be the talk of the town. Don't count KU out if that is a pro KU crowd.

Craig Carson 9 months ago

most of those 7 neutral court wins happened when KU was still at full strength....and not to dampen the spirits, but those neutral court wins over Texas and WVU arent impressive since they both suck