Thursday, January 10, 2019

Chip Lindsey leaves KU football to become head coach at Troy

FILE — Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham with offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey in the second half of Auburn A-Day NCAA college football game on Saturday, April 8, 2017 in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Todd J. Van Emst)

It took Les Miles roughly two weeks to search for and hire an offensive coordinator after becoming the head football coach at the University of Kansas.

Now Miles will have to do it all over again, a little more than five weeks after landing on Chip Lindsey.

As previous reports indicated would be the case, Lindsey officially left behind his new position as O.C. and quarterbacks coach with the Jayhawks on Thursday to become the new head coach at Troy.

Miles was not available Thursday for comment.

"I am extremely honored and humbled to be the head football coach at Troy University,” Lindsey stated in a release from his new employer’s athletic department. “Our family is beyond excited to come back home to the state of Alabama and to Troy as we continue to build on the foundation that has been laid for this program. I have seen firsthand the passion of Trojan Nation and the student-athletes that represent it. I cannot wait to meet our team and get to work on strengthening our position among the premier Group of Five programs."

A native of Madison, Ala., Lindsey worked as the offensive coordinator and QBs coach at Auburn for two seasons before his short-lived move to KU.

Lindsey, who spent one year as Troy’s QBs coach in 2010, will take over a Sun Belt Conference program that reached three straight bowl games and won all three under former head coach Neal Brown, who was hired this past week by West Virginia. Troy went a combined 31-8 during the final three seasons of Brown’s tenure.

When hired by KU on Dec. 3, Lindsey signed a four-year deal. However, terms of the agreement allowed him to leave without any buyout stipulations if he did so to become the head coach of an FBS program.

Troy will formally introduce Lindsey as its head coach during a Friday press conference.

"Chip is well respected across the state of Alabama and the nation,” stated Jeremy McClain, Tory’s senior ice chancellor for athletics, “for not only his coaching ability, but also his ability to grow the men in his program and prepare them for life after football. He has a vision and plan for excellence for each segment of this program, and I have the full confidence about the future of Troy Football under his leadership."

Lindsey spent the bulk of his first 16 years in the profession as a high school coach in Alabama. He would go on to become the offensive coordinator at Southern Miss, Arizona State, Auburn and, temporarily, at KU.

During his few weeks working for Miles, Lindsey helped the Jayhawks recruit and sign junior college prospects such as QB Thomas MacVittie and receiver Ezra Naylor for the 2019 class.

Comments

Ryan Ferree 4 months, 1 week ago

What a bunch of BS. Thanks for wasting 2 months of our time Chip! Now onto yet another OC, maybe this one will stay though the whole 1st year.

Jonathan Allison 4 months, 1 week ago

This is actually kinda funny to me.

Here is what I said when he was hired:

"this guy doesn't stay in one place very long. Hard to really rate his performance when he's only in a job for two years max.

...

My initial reaction was that if we're going to poach an SEC offensive coordinator, that there might be some kind of discussion about him possibly being a head coach in waiting. Probably not likely however, because aside from being successful at Kansas he'd also have to stay around for longer than 2 years."

I did think that he was actually make it through at least one season

Michael Sillman 4 months, 1 week ago

On the plus side, Miles appears to be able to recruit desirable college football coaches.

[''] 4 months, 1 week ago

I'm tellin' ya....go get Lance Leipold from Buffalo. Dude makes $455K now. Double his pay to be OC and HC in waiting and he takes over for Les in 5 yrs. Guy has done nothing but win and has Midwestern ties. He has turned craphole Buffalo into a 10 win team and was 109-6 at Wisc Whitewater. Offensive genius. You heard it here first.

Edward Daub 4 months, 1 week ago

I second the motion, having personally survived Buffalo and Wisconsin!

But, I also had a dream last night that Jalen Hurts has transferred to KU.

[''] 4 months, 1 week ago

Hurts should go straight to OU now that Kyler is going pro. I would. He could be the next OU QB to win the Heisman.

Kevin Robert Fest 4 months, 1 week ago

Kingsbury left USC in less time. These coaches are frauds, they only look after themselves. This happens countless times. Coaches will recruit, sign them, then leave the next day, all the while lieing to the recruits faces. Par for the course. Bye.

Matt Gauntt 4 months, 1 week ago

So he leaves Kansas in two months.....

Mr AD at Troy......In 2 years when he gets an offer to head coach at a Power 5 conference, how long will it take him to leave you too?

Wonder if he is pen pals with Lane Kiffin.

Dane Pratt 4 months, 1 week ago

Cut the guy some slack. He's from Alabama and he gets the opportunity to go home and become a head coach. How could he say no. I'm disappointed there is no buyout money coming our way.

Kyle Rohde 4 months, 1 week ago

Not even an apology to KU in that statement from Lindsey, what a dumb PR person!

Brad Avery 4 months, 1 week ago

Everybody should chill about losing Lindsey. First he left Auburn because HC Gus Malzahn decided he was going to call the plays for his team. (sound familiar?) Apparently the lack of offensive production was causing friction between the two coaches. https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2018/12/17/auburn-football-gus-malzahn-play-calling-kenny-dillingham-offensive-coordinator-chip-lindsey-offense/2332398002/

Second, any assistant coach will leave KU or USC to run his own show. It's the way of the world and there are lots of talented coaches out there who can call plays. It's really not that hard of a game to figure out, and Miles will find his guy.

Marius Rowlanski 4 months, 1 week ago

Chip has as much class as those football players who skip their final bowl games.

Robert Brown 4 months, 1 week ago

I don’t understand some of the ill-will. A better opportunity was offered and Lindsey took it. Most of us would do the same thing. The life of a position coach or college coordinator is very tough, particularly on the families. If you look at the resumes of many of these coaches, you see that they move every couple of years. Being a head coach means that you will probably be in the same place for at least four years. If the school fires you, you still get paid. If you choose to leave for a better job, it is on your terms.

Marius Rowlanski 4 months ago

Something about contracts and handshakes no longer meeting much just doesn't sit well. Skipping out for a better offer after taking the job doesn't score high on the integrity meter.

Brent Shipley 4 months, 1 week ago

So none of you would leave a job as an assistant manager to be the GM somewhere? Come on we all wish he would of stayed a bit but others don't want him to take the job.

Its not like he was looking for a new job when hired it was an opportunity that presented itself that wasn't available when he was hired.

[''] 4 months, 1 week ago

I have no issue with him taking the HC job at Troy -- but if it is true that this POS interview for the OC job at Tennessee after he was hired here? I hope he goes 0-11 at Troy and is fired in a scandal.

Robert Brown 4 months, 1 week ago

I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't even signed a contract with KU..

Marius Rowlanski 4 months ago

After thinking about it, I bet you're right even if the contract had clauses for instances just like this.

Jeff Coffman 4 months, 1 week ago

It's interesting. First, I'm glad Lindsey came, he helped recruit some key guys which was needed, so when he was here he did his job. In his contract it was clear he wanted to be a head coach, who would have guessed that Dana would leave WVU and the dominos would fall. As people have pointed out, he is an Alabama guy that had coached at Troy already, it was an opportunity for him, and congratulations to him.

I think when he was announced as the OC, there were a lot of mixed reactions. Had he really improved Southern Mississippi's offense while there, he clearly was not viewed as successful at Auburn, and it appeared that is real claim was Mullen who was making timely starts in the NFL to booster his hire. I found the hire better than what we had at KU (none), and I was disappointed with our offensive production for the past ten years.

I believe that Miles had more than one OC in mind and still has connections to make another one work. I think it will be interesting to see if any other coaches also leave (i.e. the line coach).

Again this is a bump or a hiccup, I view this as an opportunity to get an interview with Kliff Kingsbury to see if he has rethought his NFL head coaching role.

Dirk Medema 4 months, 1 week ago

Brent - It would seem optimistic at best to say he wasn't looking for another position when he was hired. It is why he has no buyout but doesn't begin to address the Tennessee interview.

[''] 4 months, 1 week ago

Wish list for OC? Anyone??? What say you?

Edward Daub 4 months, 1 week ago

The Father of Jalen Hurts, former high school coach.

Doug Roberts 4 months, 1 week ago

I could be mistaken, but I believe he interviewed for the Tennessee OC position before he accepted the KU job.

Chris DeWeese 4 months ago

Any names being thrown out there for Chip's replacement?

Randy Bombardier 4 months ago

What I want to know is who was the genius on this board who floated the name of Dabo on this site when we hired Gill. I remember someone did. If only.

As far as OC is concerned I like the idea of an up and comer. I wouldn't mind an old school system in the hands of a new school mind. I also wouldn't mind a new school, new mind coach. Although I still think the run needs to be the backbone of our offense I can concede that point. The main thing here it seems to me is tenure. Hence, youth.