Saturday, February 23, 2019

Les Miles and Jayhawks get first 2020 commitment from 3-star WR Keenan Hambrick

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

With the timing of his hire in November, Les Miles had to scramble to assemble his first recruiting class as the head football coach at the University of Kansas.

That obviously won’t be an issue for Miles and his assistants when it comes to the Class of 2020.

The Jayhawks already have their first commitment for Miles’ second KU class, thanks to a decision from Keenan Hambrick on Saturday.

A 6-foot-4 receiver from Athens, Ala., Hambrick was one of several high school juniors in Lawrence this weekend for the program’s second Junior Day of the month.

The first member of KU’s 2020 recruiting class told Jon Kirby of Jayhawk Slant that Miles extended a scholarship offer during his visit, and Hambrick was on board before leaving the coach’s office.

Hambrick, a three-star prospect according to Rivals, was recruited by KU assistants Chevis Jackson and Emmett Jones.

“Coach Jackson told me the whole staff watched my film,” Hambrick told Jayhawk Slant. “And he said they loved me and they wanted to get me up on campus. Coach Jackson talked to me and told me to make sure I watch Texas Tech film because that’s where coach Jones was before he came to Kansas.”

Previously, Hambrick reportedly had offers from Arkansas State, Liberty, South Alabama and Southern Miss, with Auburn showing some interest in him, as well.

KU and Hambrick, of course, still have a long way to go before his nonbinding verbal pledge can become official, in December at the earliest.

Comments

J.L. Forge 3 months ago

Love seeing this early action, excited for things to come! RCJH!

Andy Godwin 3 months ago

The kid gets caught up in the moment and commits. It will be interesting to see if Miles and his staff can keep these very early recruits committed when other teams come a knocking. I tend to curve my enthusiasm until the letter is officially signed.

Chris DeWeese 3 months ago

Yes, by all means curb your enthusiasm. I agree it's a little early, but I do think it speaks positively to the state of the program. Other potential recruits see this and might give KU a chance.

Dee Shaw 3 months ago

He gone. The kid is from Alabama. No way he stays committed to KU. He gone.

Edward Daub 3 months ago

Sports Illustrated News Flash! Feature Article on Les Miles and KU Football!

4 page article titled "More With Les"! Yes! I just about fell out of my rocking chair!

Les Miles is like Rock and Roll baby! He is here to stay! Rock Chalk!

Dane Pratt 3 months ago

Thanks for the link. Really enjoyed it.

Kevin Robert Fest 3 months ago

Maybe he got caught up in the moment. Miles is the biggest name recruiting him. Smaller programs are offering now besides KU, maybe bigger ones come later. This kid might stay the course or might do what kids do and change his mind. Who knows, there's a long way to go, but this is Les Miles not David Beaty, maybe the Miles name still carries some weight and the kid commits. l think the biggest test is how well the team improves and competes under Miles, that will be the biggest interest to recruits. Is the program going somewhere or are they going to continue the decade of disaster part 2.

Dirk Medema 2 months, 3 weeks ago

From this year's class it is evident that Les' name does indeed carry more respect than previous coaches. Probably more than any previous coach, and not just the most recent.

Brett McCabe 3 months ago

6' 4" - Miles is definitely trying to change the look of the receiving corps.

In terms of curbing enthusiasm, I won't. We have a professional staff now and a real coach. This doesn't mean that we keep every kid who commits, but we'll keep the vast majority of them. These kids are committing to a coach with a National Championship ring. We are living in a whole different world now.

Kevin Robert Fest 3 months ago

Shows we also signed Trevor Kardell WR 6-6 200

[''] 3 months ago

How about this kid we offered - 6'5 285 Jr. Monster DT! Yes please! https://twitter.com/GRubio68