Saturday, October 27, 2018

Kansas knocks off TCU to end Big 12 losing skid

Pooka Williams runs through the TCU defense Saturday at David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium. The Jayhawks claimed a 27-26 win over the Horned Frogs, which ended their 14-game skid in league play.

The University of Kansas football team ended another streak.

Kansas scored on its first four drives in the second half to claim a 27-26 win over TCU Saturday at David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium. With the win, the Jayhawks (3-5, 1-4 Big 12) snapped a 14-game losing streak against Big 12 foes. It marks the team’s first conference win since KU defeated Texas in November of 2016.

Freshman Pooka Williams delivered the go-ahead score with a 28-yard touchdown catch from senior quarterback Peyton Bender, which gave the Jayhawks 27-24 advantage with 4:19 remaining.

On the ensuing possession, the Horned Frogs (3-5, 1-4) marched down the field before fumbling the ball inside KU’s 10-yard line while driving for a potential go-ahead score with 58 seconds left in the game.

Williams finished with seven catches for 102 yards and two scores, while Bender completed 19 of 29 passes for 249 yards and a pair of touchdowns against the top pass defense in the Big 12.

SCORING SUMMARY

FIRST QUARTER

9:24 — Khalil Herbert 1 run. Gabriel Rui kick. Eleven-play drive for 75 yards, in 5:36. (KU 7, TCU 0.)

SECOND QUARTER

12:49 — Jonathan Song 31 field goal. Eight-play drive for 39 yards, in 2:12. (KU 7, TCU 3.)

2:47 — Jalen Reagor 56 pass from Michael Collins. Song kick. Six-play drive for 92 yards, in 2:14. (TCU 10, KU 7.)

THIRD QUARTER

9:17 — Pooka Williams 7 pass from Peyton Bender. Rui kick. Eleven-play drive for 77 yards, in 4:42. (KU 14, TCU 10.)

5:36 — Collins 2 run. Song kick. Nine-play drive for 81 yards, in 3:36. (TCU 17, KU 14.)

2:28 — Rui 34 field goal. Nine-play drive for 58 yards, in 3:08. (TCU 17, KU 17.)

FOURTH QUARTER

14:58 — Rui 27 field goal. Five-play drive for three yards, in 1:44. (KU 20, TCU 17.)

10:38 — Collins 3 run. Song kick. Eleven-play drive for 75 yards, in 4:20. (TCU 24, KU 20.)

6:13 — Williams 28 pass from Bender. Rui kick. Nine-play drive for 79 yards, in 4:19. (KU 27, TCU 24.)

0:01 — TCU team safety. (KU 27, TCU 26)

Comments

David Robinett 1 year, 8 months ago

As TCU was driving for the winning TD, I was thinking to myself: why can't the other team make a crucial mistake instead of us for once? And boom-- fumble!!

Being beaten down, I did not get excited at any point in the game despite our leads, including in the 4th quarter. Even with the ball and 1:01 left, we have gotten burned before. Turns out it was tough to burn even that amount of time.

For the most part, we played mistake free football. Just a couple of holding calls.

The 3 man rush (only) drove me crazy, but it did limit the big passing plays for TCU -- except for two.

Kudos to the defense and the offense!

Buck Bukaty 1 year, 8 months ago

If ya watched the game on TV, towards the end ya saw a young woman in the KU Band wearing a full-length arm cast, not playin’ an instrument, but none-the-less still struttin’ and jammin’ along with the Band as the Band played on. Whomever she is, I nominate her to receive a game ball during a Football practice this week just to show you never quit or give up, regardless of what fate deals ya!!!! Rock Chalk!!!

Cliff Leiker 1 year, 8 months ago

I thought coach did a better job coaching the team and game management than in the past. He seems to be improving. I thought the way he ended the game was smart. I still would like to see Carter start next week at quarterback. I thought Bender was inconsistent, but did improve on his scrambling ability. Congrats to the team for a hard fought victory. Rock Chalk.

David Kemp 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes Bender is just painful to watch. Doesn’t go thru his reads. Focuses on one receiver to quickly. He is lucky pooka can make lemonade out of lemons

Micky Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes, Bender did a good job of getting away a few times and resulted in one TD throw to Pooka. Also, there were a few plays in which Pooka was able to sneak out of the backfield wide open and Bender got him the ball. Bender was more accurate, and some of those plays where he just threw the ball away, I have no problem with that. Throw it away if you got nothing, don't take a sack. Take off and run it if it's there. Forces the defense to have to defend against it, meaning they can't drop 7 or 8 deep and give our guys better chances to get open.

Steven Haag 1 year, 8 months ago

Enjoy the victory. We have a chance......a chance at one more victory. The season will play out, Beaty will most likely be let go at the end and we can once again hope/dream of one day being ultra competitive. Until that day, I won’t be drinking mass quantities of koolaid thinking we are going bowling, turned the corner, etc. but I will not post negative posts and relish any victory, takeaway, competing hustle that I can out of these young men wearing KU. Take the win and enjoy it, they don’t come often these days

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 8 months ago

The stretch has been so bad for so long even though we won it was almost like a moral victory. Our offense just sucks. How we won while having 200 yards less of offense , 10 less.first downs. Worse, we can't win conference road games.

Proud of our players but I long for them to the young ones to know success. Thinking of all the players who could have really been something special if we'd had a good coach is just heart breaking.

Dorance Armstrong, Joe Dineen, Daniel Wise, to name a few never going to a bowl game just pisses me off. What about Pooka. He ever going bowling...not with this coach.

Doug Merrill 1 year, 8 months ago

The decision to squib kick (bad) after taking the safety (good) could have given them a shot at a field goal to win.

Too many late plays coming in, as the TV announcers noted, so QB can't react to defense stunts. That was Beaty:s complaint about Meacham...now he is guilty of the same thing.

Kevin Robert Fest 1 year, 8 months ago

I noticed the same thing, had to call two timeouts because playclock running out. Too bad Beaty can't fire himself, but no worries the AD will do it for him. I think we won in spite of Beaty and because TCU has a lot of injuries. Toughest games to come. We'll see. Good win, tough defense when it counted. Doesn't matter from here on out, Beaty is gone by end of season.

Len Shaffer 1 year, 8 months ago

Well how could we NOT have a tough defense, given that Bowen is one of the greatest defensive coordinators in the country?

You guys did hear the color guy say that, right? Do people agree that that was one of the worst broadcasting pairs of all time? (Let's not forget when the play-by-play guy said that TCU was "up 17" after they went ahead 17-14.)

Kevin Robert Fest 1 year, 8 months ago

I cringed when l heard that. Have they seen Bowens defense the last few years? ONG that comment was embarrassing.

Al Martin 1 year, 8 months ago

I haven't found the rule, but I believe you can't fair catch a squib kick. With one second left, this ensured the clock would run out.

Fair point about late play calls. After four years to sort that out, it's quite infuriating.

I'm really happy for the kids. It's great for them to see some success.

Al Martin 1 year, 8 months ago

So I'm wrong. If they had fielded it while already down, no time would expire. Boy, that would have been a kick in the gut.

Micky Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

Very difficult to field a squib kick while on one's knees with the way the ball bounces. But the reason there was any time left wasn't because of any decision that Beaty made. It was when Herbert got the first down, he ran out of bounds. He should have just fell to the ground and force TCU to use their second timeout, and there wouldn't have been any of the other stuff. Not punting the ball was the right call, but I wouldn't have run it back to the end zone on the 4th down. I would have just simply boot legged it outside the tackle and heaved the ball downfield with one receiver going deep, and out of bounds on purpose. But, they'll learn. That was not a coaching mistake.

Mike Hart 1 year, 8 months ago

Doug, seriously: With one second, how could a squib kick be recovered and a FG be kicked? As soon as ballnis touched... game is OVER. Common sense on your critiques!

Len Shaffer 1 year, 8 months ago

That's not true, Mike. If the guy had just fallen on it, no time would have expired and they could have brought out their field-goal unit.

Micky Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

The time would have expired. Only 1 second left.

Dane Pratt 1 year, 8 months ago

Stop blaming Beaty. He called the right play but Bender did not execute it properly. Watch the replay, he should have been able to easily run out the clock.

David Robinett 1 year, 8 months ago

There was 2 seconds left, so the squib was also smart (by avoiding a return) -- and not likely to have any time left for TCU to attempt a FG.

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 8 months ago

David, if kicking team fowls, there will be one offensive play. I agree with Doug.

Marcus Balzer 1 year, 8 months ago

There was ONE second left. The only way TCU was going to do anything was multiple lateral plays. Squib kick was the right move. Coach wanted a squib to take that away.

How bad is that loss to Nicholls State. Two winnable games against ISU and KSU coming up.

Al Martin 1 year, 8 months ago

Boy, are you right. If we don't blow the Nicholls State game, we're sitting at 4-4, and everything feels different.

Ashwin Rao 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't think ISU is "winnable" KSU is a toss-up. I agree with you, with Nicholls State, we could have been sitting a bit better, but then I don't want us to be even thinking of keeping Coach Beaty, so this is all good for the long run.

RCJH! I missed the game, but I am so glad that we won!

Dane Pratt 1 year, 8 months ago

Next two games give us our best chance at a W. Can't imagine beating KSU in manhattan but it would be sweet. We are standing at 9 consecutive losses to the Wildcats. If we could win one more game this season that would be the one for me.

Micky Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

They should have squibbed it a little further though. A squib kick is almost impossible to just fall on without time coming off the clock, but the hope for kicking it further is that a TCU guy touching the ball before gaining possession so the time is out before anyone get's possession.

Dane Pratt 1 year, 8 months ago

The seniors on this team went 0-12 their freshman year. I am THRILLED to see them get a win. No wins to 3 wins is not a quantum leap but it has to feel good right now. Hope they have another W in them.

Dane Pratt 1 year, 8 months ago

K-State Lost, Mizoo Lost and best of all the EFFING IOWA HAWKEYES LOST!!!!!!!!

David Kemp 1 year, 8 months ago

Something will need to change with defense. Three man rush is killing us.

Marc Frey 1 year, 8 months ago

We have our over and under 2.5 wins. Lets beat KSUCks!

Dane Pratt 1 year, 8 months ago

No kidding, the O/U was 2.5 wins. Wonder how many times we've beaten the point spread.

Marc Frey 1 year, 8 months ago

I was happy that we did some adjustments, and did some play action to get Pooka open.

Robert Brock 1 year, 8 months ago

I’m happy for the handful of students who stuck around and didn’t show up at Jefferson’s at the half.

Ryan Shelton 1 year, 8 months ago

Once he was in the end zone, if Bender had just heaved the ball as high and far as he could out of bounce down one of the sidelines, the clock would have run out and there wouldn't have been any need for the final squib kick. I guess he couldn't risk being hit and fumbling. That said, I have been very critical of Coach Beaty all season. I screamed at the tv when the punt team didn't come out with seven seconds left. After the safety play, I turned to my wife and said, "Oh, that was actually a pretty smart play!" I'm not saying that he should be retained, but I will give him credit where credit is due. He made a smart decision at the end of the game that all but ensured we would win. Though I still have plenty of criticism with Coach Beaty, I must say, good job Coach. Thank you for giving us long-suffering fans a win. More importantly, thanks a bunch for Pooka!

Ryan Shelton 1 year, 8 months ago

*out of bounds. Wow. I hope that was auto correct.

Edwin Hailey 1 year, 8 months ago

Great win for them and great that the streak has ended... Beaty will still be out after the season, the only way he was saving his job is if they had an amazing season and near the top of the Big 12.

Brian Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

If i were to guess, Beaty wins the next two, I think he gets another year. Just saying.

Dane Pratt 1 year, 8 months ago

He's one year behind schedule for the rebuilding plan. Year 1 - 0-12; year 2 - 2-12 with a win over Texas; Year 3 - 3 wins thus far with only one blowout loss and convincing wins over non-cons who beat us in previous season.

That would put him in good standing but we can't ignore the actual year 3.

Len Shaffer 1 year, 8 months ago

You're right, Dane, but it's more than just the record; it's the nonsensical decisions, it's the misuse of timeouts, it's the difficulty getting play calls in, it goes on and on.

On the other hand, if they do manage to pull out two more wins, I think Brian is right that he would be back for another year. And he may be brought back even if KU only wins one more. That's the one negative to this exciting victory: that it means there's a possibility Beaty will be back. I still maintain that he's the worst coach I've ever seen.

Micky Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

You're rooting for them to lose. That's just insane. Worst coach you've ever seen? Then you must not have watched much the last 10 seasons, because Weis was terrible, Gill even worse.

Len Shaffer 1 year, 8 months ago

Micky, this is the second time you've posted that I'm rooting for KU to lose. I have been a KU fan for nearly FIFTY years and I have NEVER rooted for them to lose in anything. Where in "that's the ONE NEGATIVE TO THIS EXCITING VICTORY" do you get anything about my rooting for them to lose???

We can passionately disagree about things, but please stop accusing me of not being a Jayhawk through and through.

Bryson Stricker 1 year, 8 months ago

Beaty will not be back. Great win for future recruiting and possible head coach awareness.

Barry Weiss 1 year, 8 months ago

Congrats to you Bryson, one of the few to stick with Beaty. I still think he should go, given the dismal state of our recruiting, but I had to give you props.

David Robinett 1 year, 8 months ago

Thank you Barry. That’s called civility.