Friday, October 19, 2018

Jayhawks the unanimous pick of Big 12 coaches to win 15th straight conference title

Kansas center Udoka Azubuike (35) and the bench celebrate a bucket from Kansas forward Silvio De Sousa (22) during the second half, Monday, Feb. 19, 2018 at Allen Fieldhouse.

The Kansas men’s basketball team, for the eighth consecutive year, is the preseason pick of the Big 12 coaches to win the 2018-19 Big 12 title.

The Jayhawks were a unanimous selection, receiving all nine available votes from the Big 12’s head coaches. Coaches cannot vote for their own team and Kansas coach Bill Self indicated last month at a Coaches vs. Cancer fundraiser in Kansas City, Mo., that he voted for Kansas State, which finished second in the preseason voting.

"Bruce's team is good," Self said of Kansas State at the event. "I picked 'em to win the league this year. I think that they deserve that. They had a great run last year and it sets up what should be a real exciting league race."

The Jayhawks, of course, are looking to add to their NCAA record of consecutive conference regular season titles by pushing the number to 15 in a row. By winning the conference during the 2017-18 season, KU snapped a tie with UCLA for most consecutive regular season conference titles.

The Jayhawks have won the Big 12 regular season crown, either outright or via a shared title, in 18 of the 22 years of the Big 12’s existence and also have recorded an NCAA record 61 overall conference titles.

Over the years, Kansas has backed up the preseason Big 12 supremacy prediction 15 of 17 times, including the first preseason poll in 1996-97 in which only a media poll was conducted.

The Jayhawks open the 2018-19 schedule Thursday with an exhibition game against Emporia State — 7 p.m. at Allen Fieldhouse — and will open the regular season on Nov. 6 vs. Michigan State at the Champions Classic in Indianapolis.

KU opens Big 12 play at home against Oklahoma on Jan. 2, 2019.

Here’s a look at the complete preseason coaches’ poll:

2018-19 BIG 12 PRESEASON POLL

Team (First-place votes) - Points

1 - Kansas (9)x - 81

2 - Kansas State (1) - 72

3 - West Virginia - 61

T4 - TCU - 54

T4 - Texas - 54

6 - Iowa State - 41

7 - Texas Tech - 36

8 - Oklahoma - 21

9 - Baylor - 20

10 - Oklahoma State - 10

x - Coaches are not allowed to vote for their own programs.

Comments

Bryce Landon 4 weeks, 1 day ago

Looks like the Big 12 is so demoralized by years of failing to topple us that they have already conceded the conference to us!

Tony Bandle 4 weeks ago

Some preseason conclusions based on the poll:

1] Oklahoma State will still give Bill fits in Stillwater.

2] Wade from KSU will be a handful.

3] Winning in West Virginia could be problematic.

4] If Scott Drew is still the coach at Baylor, chalk up as many victories as games we play them.

5] The magic has gone out of Hilton.Arena.

6] Texas Tech will suck.

7] Ditto on Oklahoma.

8] Texas competitive ability.....not so much.

9} TCU could be a surprise...then again, maybe not.

CONCLUSIOIN: Sweep in Allen, losses at WV, at TCU and, heaven help us, at KSU. Final conference record 15-3. Big 12 Tourney winners over Baylor, KSU and West Virginia. Final four will start with revenge win over Villanova in the semis and Duke in Championship. Bill Self will declare for the NBA Spurs job and the new KU coach will be..wait for it....Larry Brown who in 2020 will be the oldest coach to win a National Championship.

OOPS..I gotta go...the nurse just came into my room because it's time for my meds!!!

Dave Miller 4 weeks ago

Tony, I agree with most of your preseason conclusions. I think I'd swap no.1 and no, 2 around though. I think KSU will be handful -- period.

I'd like to see Dok and McCormack switching on Konate in the WVU games. Should be quite a battle in there this season when we have a legitimate two man front court. Enjoy the meds!!!

Dane Pratt 4 weeks ago

10) The taunting of Bill Self will be relentless. Lots of signs, chants and fake money being tossed.

Craig Carson 4 weeks ago

I can't lie...if Silvia plays imma have a hard time rooting for them...not because Silvio is a bad kid but because games he plays in might not even count

Marius Rowlanski 3 weeks, 4 days ago

I hate agreeing with you Craig on this one. Silvio finally showed just how good he could be coming directly out of a prep school. Having this much talent unusable completely sucks.

Another example of just how far off the NCAA is willing to go in keeping its authority over college sports.

Craig Carson 3 weeks, 3 days ago

if the NCAA really cared about the kids, they'd let KU know before the season starts if they are gonna deem him ineligible or at the very least recommend KU sit him..and even then, they need to have a verdict well before the halfway point if the season so Silvio can decide if he wants to stick it out at KU or begin his pro career early

Lawrence McGlinn 4 weeks ago

Whether the allegations are true or not I am having trouble getting excited about an umpteenth Big 12 Championship. From a purely basketball standpoint I wish we had a serious rival in conference like UNC-Duke. I think that has helped them in the NCAA tournament.

Dane Pratt 4 weeks ago

IDK where we'll end up after realignment but I'd love to be in the ACC (except for the geography). It would be an awesome b-ball conference.

Marius Rowlanski 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Except for the geography? I'm guessing you mean the distance KU would need to travel and not the actual geography of the East coast.

Steven Haag 4 weeks ago

Wade is good, but we couldn’t put Doc on him because he was too slow. We can use McCormack and Lawson bothers on him this year. I think we can give him fits. I definitely think K-State could be the second best team in the Big XII, but they seem to know that we will beat them every time

Marius Rowlanski 3 weeks, 4 days ago

Wow! #1 in the AP and unanimous BIG12 selection. Sounds like a lot of pressure on this team WITHOUT the distractions.