Friday, November 16, 2018

Report: KU and Les Miles negotiating contract

FILE — LSU head coach Les Miles calls pout to his team during warmups before an NCAA college football game against Mississippi State in Baton Rouge, La., Saturday, Sept. 17, 2016. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

The search for the University of Kansas football program’s next head coach may be all but through.

According to a Friday report from Sports Illustrated, KU and former LSU head coach Les Miles are in the final stages of negotiating a deal that would bring Miles to Kansas.

SI’s Ross Dellenger reported an announcement could come “as soon as this weekend.”

The report stated negotiations between Miles, 65, and KU have “been ongoing this week.”

A path for Miles to become the football coach at Kansas — or anywhere — became more clear on Thursday, when he and his former employer, LSU, reached a $1.5 million financial settlement to the buyout that allowed the school to fire him in 2016.

SI reported a deal between Miles and KU is imminent, barring a last-minute change.

When the Journal-World reached out to the office of Jeff Long, KU’s athletic director, on Friday afternoon for a reaction to the report, a spokesperson reiterated Long’s statement from Nov. 4 that the AD won’t comment on the coaching search until the new coach is officially announced.

Long fired fourth-year KU football coach David Beaty with three games left in the season, but decided to keep Beaty in place through the 2018 finale, on Nov. 23.

Since the day Long decided to move on from Beaty, Miles has been considered one of the KU AD’s top candidates.

The former LSU and Oklahoma State coach (142-55 in 15-plus seasons) and Long have known each other since they crossed paths at the University of Michigan, in the late 1980s. Miles worked as an assistant coach for the Wolverines, while Long was an assistant athletic director.

The KU football team has failed to win more than three games in a season since a previous regime in the athletic department forced Mark Mangino to resign, following the 2009 season.

This season, Kansas is 3-7 overall, and 1-6 in the Big 12 entering Saturday’s game at No. 6 Oklahoma (9-1, 6-1).

In his fourth and final year at KU, Beaty is 6-40 overall as the head coach, with a 2-32 record versus Big 12 competition.

Comments

Kent Kossoy 6 months, 1 week ago

Guess I will wait to get on that train. Ii thought Charlie Weis was going to be a good move. Recall how that worked.

Joshua Hann 6 months, 1 week ago

Charlie had two good years at Notre Dame, with Ty Willingham's roster. As soon as his recruits came in, things went south, quickly. I'm not saying it'll be different but one has a proven track record of recruiting AND winning with his players. One did not.....let's start there....

John Myers 6 months, 1 week ago

I was also a bit shocked at how horrible Weis was, but compare their resumes - it's not even close.

Al Martin 6 months, 1 week ago

Yeah, me, too. I have clearly demonstrated that my initial judgment is not good (I was nonplussed with Gill's hire, at least somewhat pleased with Weis, and happy enough with Beaty), so I'll just be supportive and let this play out.

Gary McCullough 6 months, 1 week ago

KU has become a high profile coach merry-go-round. I thought Beaty would be the guy that would come in a change that. A young-ish, hungry coach that wanted to institute the spread offense and left the defense to Bowen. Speaking of Bowen, what will happen to this dyed-in-the-wool Jayhawker. Maybe Bill Self could use him to shore up an anemic 3-pt defense in the Phog.

Kevin Robert Fest 6 months, 1 week ago

I hope Hull is working the phones as we speak back to LA.

Kevin Robert Fest 6 months, 1 week ago

If this doesn't work out KU better hope the Mtn West conference or AAC wants them.

Josh Galler 6 months, 1 week ago

They would take mens basketball team, volleyball team, Rowing team, and track and field teams in a hearbeat as well as woman's soccer. All of them had very good recent success the past 10 years. baseball and softball teams will prolly be better moving to those confrences don't have to deal with OK and TX schools

Gary Wilson 6 months, 1 week ago

The dumbest argument ever. Get a better line, with some reason in it.

Joe Ross 6 months, 1 week ago

We are so conditioned to failure that the even the prospect of success is unfamiliar in a way that leads many to be skeptical.

Gordon Penny 6 months, 1 week ago

Weiss was a ridiculous move from the get-go. If he couldn't get it done at Notre-Dame, where he had every advantage, why would anyone think he could get it done at KU, where he would have no advantages? Stupid! Allen was a stupid hire, too. He had one good year in a MEAC conference, followed by a mediocre year, and everyone thinks he is hot stuff. Ridiculous! Mangino was a good choice, although it didn't exactly end the way we all wanted it to. Beatty, same thing; strong hire, strong credentials, but with an unhappy ending to his tenure. Miles, although he was fired from LSU, is a strong candidate. I think LSU was used to stellar seasons every year, and a couple of mediocre years was not up to their standards. I wonder what KU would do if Coach Self had a couple of seasons in a row with less than 20 wins....

Jayson Hawk 6 months, 1 week ago

In 129 Years KU has 6 Bowl Wins... Less Miles has won 8. Be excited!

Jim Keen 6 months, 1 week ago

When I learned that Les Miles had settled with LSU on his buyout, I made a contribution to the Williams Education Fund. As I'm now hearing that AD Long has just about pulled off this terrific hire, I'm ready to buy season tickets. [Note: we live in Maryland.]

Do you suppose there may be a few other Jayhawk fans that feel the same way?

We'll put 50,071 in that old stadium yet!

Al Martin 6 months, 1 week ago

I would consider it. It's an 11 hour drive each way for me, so I couldn't use all of them. What do you plan to do with the tickets if you buy them? I sure would want someone in my seat if I couldn't be there.

Jim Keen 6 months, 1 week ago

I would sell the ones that I couldn't use. There will be plenty of takers. ;)

Dennis Strick 6 months, 1 week ago

If you all would have just listened to me in July, Aug, Sept, Oct you would have saved yourselves a ton of worry and keystrokes.

GREAT HIRE BY AD LONG! GREAT, FUN GAME OF CAT & MOUSE WITH THE MEDIA AND TWITTERSPHERE, HE DESERVES AN ACADEMY AWARD FOR HIS PERFORMANCE IN A LEADING ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT ROLE DURING PRESS CONFERENCE TWO WEEKS AGO. WASN'T IT FUN CHASING AIRPLANES AND LOOKING AT SUNSETS

Brett McCabe 6 months, 1 week ago

Don't dislocate your shoulder while patting yourself on the back.

Layne Pierce 6 months, 1 week ago

If true, and if it comes to pass, then we all have to get in, and deep. I will say, that we will see something we haven't seen in a long time, and that is someone who actually knows how to be a head coach, and someone who really knows how to win. He will not tolerate fools, but he will insist on and give respect and responsibility to each of his assistants.

We are a starved people, Coach Miles, just give us something to nourish us, and we will love you.

I do not believe he will win every game, but I believe we will be in almost every game, and I believe that for the very first time in a very long time, we will insist that teams beat us, we will not beat ourselves. We will play with pride and purpose. No need to worry about formations, competitiveness, and maximization of talent, are the real issues.

RCJH

Joe Ross 6 months, 1 week ago

Jeff Long for Governor!

Make Kansas Great Again.

Joe Ross 6 months, 1 week ago

With the leaks, tracking of airplane flights, and rampant speculation, we kinda lost the element of surprise on this one, didn't we? LOL

Who cares?

There will be joy in Mudville!

Kevin Robert Fest 6 months, 1 week ago

Miles has a few things going for him.

National recognition-he's still a big name

LA ties-you don't think he will try to steal some recruits from LSU, with Hull or whomever he has as LA recruiter the talent is there.

Facilities-KU didn't leave the cupboard bare here, with new facilities Miles has less to worry about and more to work with.

Brett McCabe 6 months, 1 week ago

Right now, if he stole Nicholls, La Tech and Tulane's recruits, it would be a huge save.

Mike Hart 6 months, 1 week ago

My only request... is that Long hire Ann outstanding offensive coordinator and that Miles turns the offense 100% over to his OC. I will then be very happy with the hire

Dennis Strick 6 months, 1 week ago

Hummmm, I wonder why Mr. Long was in Colorado at the same time the Los Angeles Rams were in Colorado with their Offensive Savant Jedd Fisch? Could it be to land the OC spot with Head Coach Les Miles Blessing Before Miles Was Allowed to be on the Road? and a possible future HC

Brian Jahelka 6 months, 1 week ago

Yea Dennis, thats the first thing I thought of when I heard about the possible meeting with Jeff Fisch. Perhaps Long wanted Miles, but felt he would need help on the offensive side of the ball (that wasn't really Miles strong suit). So he wanted Miles (HC) and Fisch (OC) together. This would also be good planning for the future (Miles won't last forever). And when Miles is ready to retire you have Fisch waiting in the wings. All speculation on my part of course, but seems logical.

Mike Hart 6 months, 1 week ago

Was thinking that too... but all the articles / reports were "supposedly" that Fisch was discussing the HC role, not the OC role. Either way, he has NFL player endorsement. We could do worse for an OC.

Marius Rowlanski 6 months, 1 week ago

Well, I think that's two requests and Miles wouldn't take the job under those conditions.

Brian Hosfelt 6 months, 1 week ago

So excited...if he keeps Tony Hull I bet in 2 years we have 20 kids from Louisiana

Joe Ross 6 months, 1 week ago

Bro. You don't know how much I was thinking the same thing.

Snyder likely gone. Kansas gets Miles.

I'm glad Snyder took his time to decide. They might have been in the running for Les' services! (I'd hate to see MIles in any more purple!)

Brett McCabe 6 months, 1 week ago

Listened to Kietzman for the five minutes I can actually listen to him and he was literally sweating through the microphone. He all but called out KSU to fire Snyder and bring in Leavitt.

Jayson Hawk 6 months, 1 week ago

Seriously! what kid wants to go there with Snyder having so many problems and the question marks surrounding him. Wildcats are starting to eat their own over there!

Steven Haag 6 months, 1 week ago

Why do I keep seeing posts about Long needs to hire an outstanding OC? Please correct me if I’m wrong, but usually the head coach assembles his own staff.... to include the OC.

Joe Ross 6 months, 1 week ago

True enough.

However, Miles probably expressed interest in a couple of guys, and there could certainly be negotiations for salary between the Chancellor, the AD, and the coach in question. That might, in fact, be why Long was criss-crossing the country of late.

Gary McCullough 6 months, 1 week ago

Miles is an offensive coach in his own right. I'm wondering who will get picked to run the defense. Despite the record, Bowen has done a masterful job on the defensive side of the line. The defense has kept KU in games where the offense couldn't pick up a first down. I hope Miles keeps Bowen and Hull, but I feel like a new broom sweeps clean, and we'll probably be seeing all new assistants.

Mike Hart 6 months, 1 week ago

Actually, the #1 reason Les Miles lost the support of the LSU brass were due to his behind-the-time run offenses. Won't belabor the point, but with Odell Beckham AND Jarvis Landry starting at WR on the same time... LSU finished that year 93rd in passing. Les always favored a run-heavy offense, and if they had to pass... LSU couldn't get it done. The Oklahoma State and LSU offenses Les Miles oversaw as HC... won't cut it in the Big 12 these days. Miles supposedly has admitted that he needs to adapt / modernize his offensive approach. He never did adapt at LSU... the numbers show it

Brett McCabe 6 months, 1 week ago

Happiest person in Lawrence today is Benton Smith. Finally, something to cover. Tip of the cap to you Benton, things are about to get way, way, way better.

Kevin Robert Fest 6 months, 1 week ago

Criss cross over to the football facility and sign Hull

Michael Maris 6 months, 1 week ago

KU will need to find a place on the sideline to grow some natural grass for Coach Miles.

Michael Maris 6 months, 1 week ago

And now, maybe Lance LeGendre will give Kansas a strong consideration again (if Coach Hull is retained on the Coaching staff).

Michael Maris 6 months, 1 week ago

Only time will tell (just like in past hires).

Jayson Hawk 6 months, 1 week ago

Brad Watson, You are an idiot along with anyone else who makes the Charlie Weis comparison. How many National championship games has Charlie Weis been in? Miles has been in Two. CW was 3-9 in his Third Season at Notre Dame and after his first two years with Willinghams recruits never won more than 6 games in a regular season. Miles has only had one Losing season EVER and it was his First season as after taking over a 3-9 team. CW has a lifetime record of 41-49 Miles had 42 wins in HIS FIRST 4 SEASONS AT LSU!! (Oh that was with Nick Sabans recruits....) Guess what? He had 43 WINS THE 4 YEARS AFTER THAT!!! The dude is Awesome!! Charlie Weis has WAY more in common with David Beaty than Miles. (CW made famous by Tom Brady DB has Johnny Manzel to thank) think about this we just traded a coach who in 4 years lost 40 games for a coach that has won 40+ games in 4 year TWICE!! Give me a break!!

Brad Watson 6 months, 1 week ago

Miles will not have the energy to find the material to make the robe....he will find out ..like Charlie did...that KU is not LSU...and getting recruits here to play for an old washed up coach is not going to be easy...if Miles is so great.....why isn't he still at LSU.....how did he lose his job to Ed Orgeron...LMAO....thats embarrassing...its a money grab......its about ego...and he will fail miserably...and we will be back here in 3 years......and the chemistry between he and Coach Self...I do not see it.....he did well with the material Saban left him....and his teams ...loaded with talent never achieved....I have never thought he was a great coach...still don't.....just an opinion...we will see.

Jayson Hawk 6 months, 1 week ago

....Did great with Sabans players, People who say that just prove they have no clue what they are talking about. Yeah did very well with Sabans players, he won 42 games in his first 4 years. what happened when Sabans players were all gone? He won MORE games (43) the next 4 years and went to a national championship where he lost to Saban and Alabama who he actually beat earlier that year. Why dont you actually look up the facts before throwing this crap out. Why did LSU fire him? Same reasons Lew Perkins fired Mangino they didnt get along and the AD is an idiot, made even more clear by the fact that they decided to Keep Ed Orgeron after going 6-2. The Chemistry between him and coach self... We will pretend that it actually matters but you dont believe that Bill Self can play nice with another coach? I hear Bill Self and Beaty get along great LOTTA GOOD THAT DID US! Bill Self would only benefit from having a Good football team and a big name football coach it builds a schools brand. not to mention all the money that having a successful football team brings the athletic department. There is literally nothing that compares Miles to Charlie Weis. CW was fired after going 35-27 (19 in the first two years) over 5 years. Miles was 114-34. There isnt a 4 year period that he won less that 40 games at LSU other than the last 4 where he won 37. Are you kidding me CW and Miles are NOTHING ALIKE! Why do the people down in the Bayou talk crap about Miles? Because they are just like MU fans and every other SEC team that think they should win a championship every year just like Alabama because they are in the same conference. Lsu letting miles go was just like Mangino here and someday soon when they will probably regret it (especially with Ed Orgeron).

Chris DeWeese 6 months, 1 week ago

Les Miles is not Charlie Weis. Not by a long shot.

Mike Hart 6 months, 1 week ago

There is no valid comparison going in... for Les Miles and Charlie Weiss. Weill has no track record of EVER being a good HC... where Les Miles always has been successful.

Lance Hobson 6 months, 1 week ago

Please be true. Please close the deal. There is hope.

Dennis Strick 6 months, 1 week ago

Some people, like Brad Watson, should have their posting credentials taken away. Comparing Les Miles to Weis is an insult to the entire Miles extended family. On behalf of ku appologize for Mr. Watson's insulting comments.

Brad Watson 6 months, 1 week ago

Just an opinion...I am sorry if you do not agree...I know some think differently...I hope he succeeds ..I don't want him to fail....but this is how I see it...time will tell.....I have read your comments...I know you love the hire....that your opinion...and I am happy for you.

Brad Watson 6 months, 1 week ago

Ask the people down on the bayou what they think of Miles...their opinions are close to mine....they were happy to get rid of him.

Brian Hosfelt 6 months, 1 week ago

How many national titles has LSU won post Miles? 0....so screw their fans

Chris DeWeese 6 months, 1 week ago

LSU fans and administration were just frustrated they couldn't keep up with Alabama (almost nobody can). I think a change of venue will be good for Miles.

Jim Baker 6 months, 1 week ago

Tend to agree with you, Brad. Laugh all you want, but I like Todd Graham's fire and energy! I think it would be hard for Miles to match that. Two different coaching styles I know, but we could sure use some life breathed back into the program. IMHO

Marius Rowlanski 6 months, 1 week ago

That's why people like you don't get to make those decisions. Brad is a KU fan and entitled to his own opinion.

Dirk Medema 6 months, 1 week ago

Jayson - You are correct in being able to find plenty of differences between Charlie and Les, but you also aren't trying if you can't find similarities. Similar ages. Some have suggested that Les have a head coach in waiting so he has a retirement plan ready which is the exact scenario laid out by Charlie when he started. Early success that had fallen off prior to being fired from a power program. Charlie had 1 (?) NC game in 4 years while Les had 2 in more than 8 years so Charlie was more successful in that regard. That last one is total tongue in cheek cherry picking but seemed appropriate given the "idiot" response. :-)

I'm not excited if it is just Les coming to KU - unless they have a young OC lined up to join him. The lack of offense was his downfall at the end, which ironically is still LSUs shortcoming.

Everyone seems to want Hull to stay though traditionally the new staff is completely new. Wonder if Any other coaches will be retained.

The real question might be what additional staff will be added? The facilities are now similar but there's a huge staffing difference.

Jayson Hawk 6 months, 1 week ago

Charlie NEVER played in a National championship game. His first two seasons were his best where he had 3 losses, and remember ND is independent and plays a fairly soft schedule. Weis is 3 years younger than miles making him almost a decade younger than Miles when he came to Kansas but the age factor means nothing. The reason is because if we have a young coach who comes in and succeeds then i guarantee you they are gone as soon as a bigger better school needs a coach. So we are looking for a new coach in 5 years anyway. As far as lack of offence, the SEC in general is a defensive league but even with his "poor" offense that would be a MAJOR upgrade over what we have seen over the past 10 years. I mean seriously, if our offense was just bad instead of dreadful we beat KSU easy last week.

I would like to see Hull stay and i think politically Miles should ask him to not necessarily because of recruiting but to keep the kids we have here. We have 25 Sr players and only 14 scholarships this year. Currently we have 35 (35!!!!!) juniors. So we need to keep as many bodies as possible.

I do think we will see a significant improvement in recruiting Texas and also Kansas. Simply because if you ask a Kansas kid today with everything going on "you want to go play for Bill Snyder at KSU Or Les Miles at Kansas?" I actually think for the first time in a long time the kid could legitimately say "Kansas!"

Randy Bombardier 6 months, 1 week ago

I know you are all excited but this leak was a real disservice. It is in Miles interest for it to get out. Ups the ante to keep KU from losing face. This could totally fall through, that's why I am sure Long drew a red line on paper and said this and no further. Agents and their trolls are sneaky and greedy. If this falls through that's why. Hence the man does his research and has two or more options. I'm guessing this is how we've been used before. Not this time. I like Miles but would be very happy with 5 or 6 others I've seen mentioned. I would rather we pay 2M to someone like Neal Brown than 4M to Miles.

Ray Buckingham 6 months, 1 week ago

For what it's worth, I heard a rumor this summer that Long/Miles was a package deal back when the AD search narrowed down. Rumor was: Long would only come if he could bring in Miles and Miles would only come if Long was AD. You never know what is discussed behind closed doors...

Jayson Hawk 6 months, 1 week ago

Damn dude, they should have just done it at the beginning of the season, saved us a whole season of watching Timeouts before punts. However i think if this was the case Miles would have been out recruiting without a team kind of like Huggybear did with Ksu.

Gary McCullough 6 months, 1 week ago

Lock them up...lock them up! Really dude? Aren't there enough conspiracy theories running all around the internets to satisfy even the most inquiring minds? I came to KU for #1 academics, #2 Larry Brown (we were a package deal in '83 LOL). I could not have cared less what was happening in football. It was an opportunity to take a few hours away from the books on Saturday afternoons, sneaking a pint of Everclear in my boot to sweeten the Cokes, while having a laugh with friends. Once Late Night played, all thoughts of football were gone.

Dirk Medema 6 months, 1 week ago

Interesting that 37 wins in last 4 years is nothing like 35 wins in last 4 years.

Also interesting to say ND plays a soft schedule. Others that are paid for their opinion say it is one of the tougher schedules.

Game management has obviously been one of the concerns with Coach Beaty. Do you know one of the reasons Miles was openly criticized at LSU?

Kevin Robert Fest 6 months, 1 week ago

But he still managed to win 9,10 games a year in the SEC. Granted can he do the same with less talent at KU?. That's the question. Bowl eligible every year is not too much to ask for with Miles and the decade of disaster.

Chris Bailey 6 months, 1 week ago

Great article. Could’ve written one sentence and saved us all time. Instead I read the entire thing thinking there would be something new. It’s copied and pasted from all the previous stories.

Brad Watson 6 months, 1 week ago

Its the Mangino curse...the way the school treated Mangino...there is and will continue to be BAD KARMA surrounding the program...Miles isn't the answer...Mr. Long...please think before entering into a contract with Jimmy Sexton!

Kevin Robert Fest 6 months, 1 week ago

Get over it Brad, its KU football not the Cubs (goat) or Red Sox (Babe Ruth) perceived curses. You're laughable.

Dirk Medema 6 months, 1 week ago

9 or 10 W a year in the sec, but also sliding toward 0.500 the last few years. That's not opinion, conjecture, hope, or anything other than fact. Both were fired with 0.500 records. Couldn't (appropriately replaced with wasn't) winning at a powerhouse but we don't need him to compete for a NC. We would be satisfied with bowling. Seriously folks, it's some of the exact same comments from 7 years ago. I hope whoever the next coach is will be successful just like I have for the past dozen but it's amazing that the memories are so short.

Or maybe it's the yang factor we have become so accustomed to ignoring anything positive and associated facts, even distorting everything into a negative, that we are now continuing to ignore facts but distort everything into a positive.

Joe - I do appreciate your comment earlier about becoming so accustomed to losing, but would suggest that as well as becoming skeptical there is also the possibility of becoming desperate. Sorta like the joke about the girls all get prettier the closer it is to closing time. Glad to not be a part of that.