Monday, November 12, 2018

Undefeated Jayhawks drop to No. 2 spot in AP poll

Kansas guard K.J. Lawson, center, fouls Michigan State forward Aaron Henry, right, during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game at the Champions Classic on Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2018, in Indianapolis. Kansas won, 92-87.

Despite knocking off a top-10 team in the season opener, Kansas was unable to keep its No. 1 spot in the latest AP poll, which was released Monday morning.

This came as no surprise, though, as Duke overwhelmed Kentucky in the nightcap of the Champions Classic. The Blue Devils (2-0) moved up to the top spot of the poll after being ranked No. 4 in the preseason. In addition, Duke passed UCLA for most all-time No. 1 rankings.

Meanwhile, the Jayhawks (1-0) were bumped down to No. 2 following their 92-87 win over Michigan State in the first game of the Champions Classic. KU also dropped from its No. 1 preseason ranking without losing a game in 2004 when the team narrowly defeated Vermont in its season opener and was bumped down in the third AP poll.

According to @KPIsports, three men’s basketball teams who were ranked the top team in the preseason fell in the next poll without losing. North Carolina in 1977-78 (replaced by Kentucky), Kentucky in 1980-81 (replaced by DePaul) and North Carolina in 1983-84 (replaced by Kentucky) all accomplished that feat.

Kansas received 14 first-place votes in the first poll of the 2018-19 regular season.

Here is a complete rundown of the latest top-25: 1. Duke 2. Kansas 3. Gonzaga 4. Virginia 5. Tennessee 6. Nevada 7. North Carolina 8. Villanova 9. Auburn 10. Kentucky 11. Michigan State 12. Kansas State 13. Oregon 14. Florida State 15. Syracuse 16. Virginia Tech 17. Mississippi State 18. Michigan 19. Clemson 20. UCLA 21. TCU 22. LSU 23. Purdue 24. Marquette 25. Buffalo

Comments

Dirk Medema 9 months, 1 week ago

All the better. Keep the new guys hungry and pass on the rat poison.

Steve Quatrocky 9 months, 1 week ago

Pretty good example of the Tobacco Road Bias we've all screamed about for years. How does a team drop by winning? Especially winning against Michigan State on a Neutral Court, its not like we played a cupcake while they played a ranked team. Just as well, let them carry the #1 jinx for awhile.

Dane Pratt 9 months, 1 week ago

In spite of being a KU homer I agree with the ranking.

Bryce Landon 9 months, 1 week ago

That's crap! Kansas held its own, Kansas should remain No. 1! >:(

Joe Ross 9 months, 1 week ago

An assessment of who is #1 should NOT be based on previous rankings. As evidence appears, that should shape one's impression of a team. Evidently you didn't see Duke play.

Bryce Landon 9 months, 1 week ago

No, I didn't watch Duke play. I don't have enough hours in the day to spend watching games that don't concern me, especially when I hate both teams. I did see the final score of Duke-Kentucky, however, so it's not like I'm unaware of it. Nevertheless, Kansas is more deserving of the top ranking than Duke is.

Joe Ross 9 months, 1 week ago

You say Kansas is more deserving of Duke in the same comment you say you haven't seen Duke play.

HUH!?

And as far as not having time to watch teams that don't concern you, that didn't appear to be the reason that you bailed on Kansas football. Evidently you have more time to watch Iowa than Kansas. So which team concerns you more? It's a rhetorical question. Don't answer it. And don't attempt to jump on the bandwagon when Kansas football is on the come-up. You've worn out your welcome on that one. Just sayin'...

John Strayer 9 months, 1 week ago

Also...how much of Duke's win had to do with early season issues that KY might have had. Does everyone really believe that Duke is 30+ pts better than KY?

Gerry Butler 9 months, 1 week ago

Not trippin about not being Ranked # 1 still at this point. At this point and time in the season. Means absolutely nothing really at this point other then for fans to go around thumpin and beatin their chest and struttin in around. Not worried about that crap at all.

I know Coach Self would tell you the same thing - -we knew this was coming , I'm not really upset about it , it's more - -much more important to have that ranking at the end of the year. We always have a bulls eye on our back anyways - -why add to I right now?- - We are fine -just play the games an prove it on the floor. - -I mean come on how many really thought we wouldn't lose the top spot after the way they destroyed Kentucky? 34 point win? -- we gonna be fine

Freddie Garza 9 months, 1 week ago

Look on the bright side, at least we're apparently in the running for LaMelo Ball. LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

Dennis Strick 9 months, 1 week ago

Hallelujah!, that spot is the kiss of death. I want us in that spot heading into Big 12 play. All that matters is a #1 Seed playing in Tulsa in March. It is meaningless right now and curse-filled. That move may even put a hex on Duke according to my local voodoo specialists.

Darold Whetzel 9 months, 1 week ago

Mr Ross, did you see the Army at Duke game yesterday? Duke ended up winning by 22, but they were only up buy 8 at the half. They did not look unbeatable to me, especially late in the first half when they were only up by 3. Kentucky either had the worst game against Duke or they are not nearly as good as people think they are.

Joe Ross 9 months, 1 week ago

...or Duke doesn't get up for Army like they get up for Kentucky.

Cover all the bases please.

If you think Army is only 3 points inferior to Duke by ANY point in a game, then I have a few things I'd like to sell you.

Darold Whetzel 9 months, 1 week ago

Mr Ross, did you see the Army at Duke game yesterday? Duke ended up winning by 22, but they were only up buy 8 at the half. They did not look unbeatable to me, especially late in the first half when they were only up by 3. Kentucky either had the worst game in their history against Duke or they are not nearly as good as people think they are.

Robert Brock 9 months, 1 week ago

Duke’s three freshmen are pretty exciting to watch. Sooner or later, though, they will run into a well-coached defense that will drive them crazy. THAT will be amusing.

Adam Bengtson 9 months, 1 week ago

You keep asking did you see Duke play? Did you see them yesterday halfway through 2nd half at home only up 6 in Army when favored by 41? What’s the difference? Some teams play a unreal game. Quit jumping on 1 game and running with it. A good week by Kansas will surely put us into the #3 spot next week.

Joe Ross 9 months, 1 week ago

Dumb.

You contradict yourself in about 7 places. "Quit jumping on one game", you say. Well I'm sure you have some genius explanation for why this doesn't work for Duke but the logic can't be used for Army to say they played an "unreal" game against Duke. Or maybe you haven't noticed that Duke is playing freshmen. Or maybe you haven't noticed that sometimes teams don't get up for games, considering their opponent. Or maybe you haven't noticed that all of the experts in basketball think as I do. Or maybe you haven't noticed that Vermont actually LEAD Kansas tonight on OUR HOME FLOOR, so you think that means KANSAS played an unreal game against Michigan State and really aren't all that good.

Or maybe you just don't know anything.

If you're trying to compare Army with Duke and putting them on the same level, then YOU are the one that's running with things. Are you tone deaf? They're not in the same class, and if you took that out of the game then you don't know jack about basketball.

Sit down and raise your hand to be called on.

Joe Ross 9 months, 1 week ago

Apologies for my tone of voice. I read back my comment and some of the "sauce" was not necessary. I just hate to be chided sometimes, and I responded in kind...but that is no excuse.

The fact is that anyone who sees Duke as the #1 team in the nation right now is making the best use of observable evidence.

Glen Miller 9 months, 1 week ago

Rankings this early in the season mean absolutely nothing. I couldn't care less about our ranking until we hit January. By then you know what teams are where and who's separating themselves. Duke whipped Kentucky, but I think both ourselves and Michigan State would have beaten Kentucky as well...... it's all about perception and the darlings of ESPN will always get the nod over anyone else. Let them carry that cross and we'll just use the slight as fuel to our fire.

Matt Stone 9 months, 1 week ago

I saw Duke beat the hell out of a deep and talented Kentucky team, and without question I knew they would jump to #1. I have no problem with it because everyone wants to beat the number one team for their resumé. I wouldn't be shocked if Duke went undefeated but guessing they get cocky and overlook a team to get a loss. KU is a top 5 team and that is a fact. KU doesn't need that pressure with all of the young players right now. KU needs to work on reducing turnovers, free throw percentage, and swapping Vick out for KJ Lawson if Vick keeps shooting like he is. #RCJH

Matt Stone 9 months, 1 week ago

BTW, I want to feel like I contributed to Vick having a career night by calling for him to be replaced... Lol. Hope he can keep this kind of play up.

Dane Pratt 9 months, 1 week ago

check out the box score, i believe they gave you an assist