Saturday, November 10, 2018

Notebook: KU football speculation shot down by Jeff Long

Kansas athletic director Jeff Long looks up into the stands late in the fourth quarter of the Jayhawks' 27-3 loss to Iowa State, Saturday, Nov. 3, 2018 at Memorial Stadium.

Manhattan — Rumors of University of Kansas Athletic Director Jeff Long speaking with recently fired Maryland football coach D.J. Durkin were shot down quickly Saturday afternoon.

Not long after news of the alleged conversation between Long, who is searching for KU football’s next head coach, and Durkin started circulating on social media, Long took to Twitter to squash any such notion.

“KU fans,” Long tweeted not long after the football team fell, 21-17, at Kansas State, “you don’t know me very well if you believe the (latest) speculation. I attempt to run a very confidential search and I am doing so now. The search is ongoing.”

Maryland fired Durkin less than two weeks ago, following investigations into how he ran the football program there, after an offensive lineman, Jordan McNair, suffered heat illness during a workout and later died. Reports alleging abuse and bullying by Maryland football staff members also surfaced this year.

According to Jayhawk Slant, Durkin contacted KU about its vacancy and is not a candidate.

Beaty’s approach

Six days after acting head coach David Beaty and his players learned from Long that Beaty won’t be retained at the season’s conclusion, the Jayhawks reflected on how the short-term coach handled the situation.

“He really approached this week like he did any other week,” redshirt senior linebacker Joe Dineen said. “Honestly, when I walked in on Monday, I thought it was going to be a little off, but it really wasn’t at all. That’s a credit to him, just finishing it out for us. He easily could’ve hung it up and said, ‘I’m done with it.’”

A senior receiver, Steven Sims Jr. agreed.

“Yeah, he was definitely the same, just coaching us hard,” Sims offered, “getting us ready to go, and he did what he could and we’ve got to execute better.”

After his record dropped to 6-40 overall and 2-32 versus the Big 12 as KU’s head coach, Beaty said he and his staff didn’t want players to be distracted by the regime change, and reiterated he thought the players followed their instruction.

“Great, great men,” Beaty said. “Proud to be a part of them.”

Big 12 road woes continue

The next time KU football wins a Big 12 game in an opponent’s stadium, it will mark the first time it has done so since Oct. 4, 2008, at Iowa State.

The drought didn’t end Saturday in Manhattan, where the Jayhawks dropped their 44th true conference road game in a row.

This and that…

• Sims finished the loss at K-State with 113 receiving yards, marking his eighth career 100-yard game and first this season.

• Senior KU receiver Jeremiah Booker caught his fourth touchdown pass of the year on a nine-yard reception in the third quarter, taking the team lead in TD receptions.

• K-State coach Bill Snyder improved to 23-4 all-time versus KU. Three of the four losses came within Snyder’s first four years in Manhattan. The 23 wins by Snyder over Kansas are the most by any active head coach over one opponent — one more than Snyder’s 22 wins over Iowa State. It was also Snyder’s 125th career Big 8/12 victory. Only former Nebraska coach Tom Osborne (153) owns more.

• Junior KU safety Mike Lee recorded 10 tackles in the loss. It was Lee’s first double-digit tackle performance of 2018.

Comments

Sam Meyer 1 year, 11 months ago

Heads are rolling at Maryland because they chose to retain Durkin. I thought this was baloney when I first saw it and feel better knowing that JL immediately shot it down. No competent AD would consider Durkin a serious candidate for a D1 football head coaching job for a long time.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 11 months ago

Jayhawk Slant....joke isn't the right word.

And Jeff, you are right, we don't know you well because you haven't done anything yet except exhibit a Charlie Weis-like self-confidence after being fired.

I'm unsure why our new AD constantly wants to pick fights with KU fans and Alumni but I can assure him that it won't end well.

Here's a tip. Do something. Accomplish something. Walk don't talk.

And btw, I'm off the Miles train as I realized that the most self-involved personality in sports (SVP) and a homophobe (Brando) are the two most ardent supporters. If you put those two in a car, with Siri and NORAD, they couldn't navigate from North Main to South Main, even if they stopped for directions.

Brad Watson 1 year, 11 months ago

You really need to think before you comment

Joe Black 1 year, 11 months ago

Love the unwarranted attack on the AD. Do you suffer from a God complex?

Robert Brock 1 year, 11 months ago

Long is going about things a lot better and more professionally than the gullible rube Zenger. He will make a good hire.

1 year, 11 months ago

"we’ve got to execute better.” how many times have we heard this line?! DB should be gone tmrw. FOR OUR SENIORS!

Mo Meza 1 year, 11 months ago

KU fans, Director Long took the job to break the cycle, and turn around the football program. He is the one with expertise and he understand the fans and alumni frustrations. We must support him on his decisions, doing it respectfully and with class.From a fan fan alumni. I know better days are coming, we just have to believe it and be patient. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

Brad Watson 1 year, 11 months ago

I am a huge Gene Chizik supporter ....and I also floated the name of Jim Tressel in here as a great hire...I was watching Ga. Tech tonight...I think Paul Johnson...if you could get him to even consider the idea...would be awesome also...and he might be able to change the entire Big 12...which I have grown to not like ...I hate pass happy backyard football...The Big 12 used to be a downhill power football league..which I grew up with and love...somebody has to come into the league and establish that philosophy and be successful..maybe someone like a Paul Johnson could do that here....the Rambling Wreck go bowling almost every year...I am still a huge Chizik supporter...but I hope we hire a downhill power football coach...I can live with that....Line up and pound people...when November comes...teams do not want to play you...thats when it gets fun....ask Va.Tech today...Pitt rushed for 500 yards and embarrassed them played downhill power football...I LOVE IT!..Old school football is what i love.

Jeff Coffman 1 year, 11 months ago

Gene Chizik was 3-9 followed by a 2-10 year at Iowa State, that is what he would likely do at KU. He inherited a team and went 8-5 and was able to pay to have Cam Newton arrive where he went 14-0. After that back to 8-5 followed by 3-9. He is not a good choice for KU.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 11 months ago

Brett - Weren't you going to Iowa City?