Friday, November 9, 2018

Bill Self: David Beaty ‘a pro’ in how he’s handled news of firing

Kansas head coach Bill Self gets at his players during the second half of the Showdown for Relief exhibition, Sunday, Oct. 22, 2017 at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

Since University of Kansas athletic director Jeff Long announced his decision to move on from David Beaty as KU’s football coach, basketball coach Bill Self has not spoken with the soon-departing football coach in person.

During his Friday press conference inside Allen Fieldhouse, Self was asked about any conversations he may have had with Beaty.

“Well, we haven’t talked. We’ve texted back and forth several times,” Self said.

According to Self, Beaty, in his fourth and final year at KU, is excited for Saturday’s game at Kansas State.

“I’m hoping that the players rally around the situation and perform at a level that gives us certainly a great opportunity to win an in-state rivalry game this weekend,” Self said.

The 16th-year Kansas basketball coach went on to compliment Beaty for how he handled the news that Long won’t retain him.

Podcast episode

KU Sports Hour

Beaty's out — what's next for KU football?

As the Kansas football program moves on from head coach David Beaty, and athletic director Jeff Long zeroes in on the team’s next leader, KU football reporter Benton Smith is joined by Matt Tait and Shane Jackson to discuss the timing of the move, coaching candidates and much more.

Download podcast

“The one thing that I think is you can tell a lot about people when they’re going through tough times. A lot of times decisions are made that put people into situations, but sometimes they’re made for the betterment of the big picture,” Self said. “I don’t think anyone around here would say David Beaty is anything less than a true pro in how he’s handled it.”

Given his connections within the college athletics universe, Self also was asked whether any potential football coaches have reached out to him about the opening at Kansas.

“No,” Self said. “I have not gotten any calls from any coach concerning this position.”

Comments

Phil Leister 5 days, 15 hours ago

Who asked that last question to Bill? What a dumb question.

Kevin Robert Fest 5 days, 12 hours ago

I wonder if Meacham was a "pro" when DB fired him for the offensive woes. DB what a jerk. Finally someone fired the true problem of the program.

Sae Thirtysix 5 days, 9 hours ago

HCBS is a good man. "decisions are made that put people into situations . . .they’re made for the betterment of the big picture" - He gets it. He knows an improved football program would be an asset to his team as well. RCJ!!

Steven Haag 5 days, 8 hours ago

I will listen and respect what Bill said about Beaty a 1,000,000 times before I acknowledge one word from the hater Kevin😂😂😂😂😂

Kevin Robert Fest 4 days, 21 hours ago

Thank you Steven, you infantile, now go back to sucking your thumb. I'm sorry you think DB is worth defending.

Doug Wallace 5 days, 4 hours ago

After all is said and done on the field for all coaches in every sport, in the end it is still is a business when it comes to coaches in all sports.They are all human and all have families..They all want each other to succeed.Unless Beaty acted like a horses rear end to Self I could see Self and Beaty getting along.

I know Self wanted Beaty to succeed, same goes for Beaty when Self is in Tourney, Heck all KU Coaches no matter what sport they are in men or women sports they cheer for each other.

Come onSelf is vlassy and so is Beaty.

Let Beaty and KU move on already.

Len Shaffer 5 days, 3 hours ago

No one (other than maybe Kevin above) has ever said that Beaty was a bad guy. I wish nothing but the best for him and hope he lands on his feet, maybe as a receivers coach or something that he's better suited for. The problem was that he never did rise to the position of head coach, and I'd be surprised if he ever landed any head coaching job again.

Kevin Robert Fest 4 days, 21 hours ago

I never said he was a bad guy just a horrible coach. He blamed everyone for HIS failures, half his staff left after the first year, he ran players off, played favorites. Yeah what a great coach, person maybe m, head coach no. AND we aren't talking about how he is as a person, just as a coach, he stinks, so you Steven, Bryson etc can do your singing about Beaty. If I'm a hater keep reading, because the truth hurts. I'll be here every day. Like it or lump it.

Kevin Robert Fest 4 days, 20 hours ago

I didn't hear any of you bleeding hearts say anything about the oc losing his job in the middle of the season and the state of his family with no notice of being let go. DB has a month to prepare and lm supposed to worry about where his family will move next. I'm sure DB took that into consideration when he canned Ole Doug. Bunch a clowns you guys are.

Colin Fernandes 4 days, 16 hours ago

I think i would act with grace if I were given one million for 1 win a year. i.e. 6 wins in 4 years with an average of 1.3 Million per year, with one year left. Are there claw backs and why don't claw backs get written in contracts for athletic coaches? Can we go after Zenger and claw back his salary, and bonus. I recall the bonus and increase DB got for one win against Texas.