Monday, November 5, 2018

David Beaty: Decision to remain KU football coach for final 3 games ‘very, very easy’

Kansas head coach David Beaty watches as Iowa State gets deep into Kansas territory during the second quarter, Saturday, Nov. 3, 2018 at Memorial Stadium.

Soon-departing Kansas football coach David Beaty first heard rumors that his days on the job were numbered on Saturday evening. But it wasn’t until Sunday, when athletic director Jeff Long called him mid-morning and scheduled a noon meeting, that the speculation became reality.

Beaty detailed that and other aspects of Long’s decision to not retain him past the end of the season while answering questions Monday morning on the Big 12 coaches media teleconference.

According to Long, he wanted to sleep on the decision before making it official. Beaty described their Sunday conversation that followed as “very businesslike.”

When asked whether there was any hesitation on Beaty’s part in coaching the final three games before KU officially fired him, the fourth-year coach replied, “absolutely not,” characterizing it as a “very, very easy” decision.

“I’m grateful to Jeff that it wasn’t even a conversation,” Beaty said. “The term that was used was basically that I was not going to be retained at the end of the season. There was no question that I was going to finish this season with this team and with our players, with our seniors. And I take my hat off to Jeff for recognizing and understanding that’s what he believes and knows our team would want. It’s really served as less of a distraction than these situations can typically be. Our guys, we saw them yesterday, they’re in a really good place. They know, from the beginning, this has never been about me. It’s always been about them and the great University of Kansas. So we never let that change. We basically verbalized it from week to week. It will never ever be about me, including themselves or us. It’s about the shoulders of giants we stand on and the great university and the people who came before us.”

After KU fell to 3-6 on the season and 6-39 in his three-plus years as head coach, Beaty expressed his disappointment in losing to Iowa State, saying the execution was lacking after the Jayhawks felt good about their game plan.

In the hours that followed, the coach began hearing the buzz that a change was on the horizon.

“After the game, I’m not a big social media guy in terms of reading things or listening to things, but started getting calls from our guys that night,” Beaty related. “I think it was tougher on my players and my family more than it was me. We as coaches are conditioned to understand the way of the world when it comes to our games.”

Kansas already has won three games for the first time since 2014, the season before Beaty’s arrival. The Jayhawks also broke the program’s nearly decade-old road losing streak and won two games in a row for the first time since 2011.

Seeing KU make strides and then learning his time was up proved disappointing for Beaty.

“When you love something and you believe in it and the progress that you’ve made, that you know has been made that maybe not everybody can possibly see, but that you know the progress has been made — we haven’t won enough games. And at the end of the day, it’s a production business with wins and losses. That’s a measuring tool that you can’t escape. You’ve got to be able to win games. And I get it. And we certainly get it, as well,” Beaty added of his assistants.

“But we’re grateful, because we still have bowl eligibility in front of us,” KU’s current coach went on. “We’ve got three opportunities and we understand we’ll be underdogs in every one of those games. And we are as excited as all get-out to play every single one of them, one game at a time, starting this weekend with K-State.”

Now officially less than three weeks away from his final day as KU’s head coach, Beaty said it won’t be difficult for him to go about his business and prepare the Jayhawks for their final three games — at Kansas State on Saturday (11 a.m. kickoff), at Oklahoma Nov. 17 and the finale versus Texas on Black Friday.

The outgoing coach pointed to his players as a primary source of inspiration.

“Knowing that we have some goals in front of us — number one, beating our rival, K-State, this week is obviously a big goal. And being able to get that done for our seniors will be huge. And, obviously, we have bowl eligibility still in front of us. It’s one game at a time, so we understand that,” Beaty said.

“But from a personal level, am I upset that we won’t be with these guys and this great university? Absolutely,” he added. “But that’s the way of the world. We get it and we understand it. I’m just going to enjoy every minute of the next three weeks.”

Comments

Kevin Robert Fest 1 week, 4 days ago

I'm hoping there is a car waiting for him on the field to drive him away immediately. He should start cleaning out his office so by Monday after last game, he is just a bad memory. And oh yeah he still gets some nice checks.

Joe Ross 1 week, 4 days ago

Tony and Kevin. I'm happy about Beaty's departure as well, as the football program needs a new breath that it was never going to get from Beaty. And I'll go the extra mile in saying that Beaty didn't have the qualifications at the time he was hired to justify his hiring.

HOWEVER...

Let's give the man some credit. You knew with Beaty that he cared about his players. You knew he was going to give 100% effort. You knew he was honest and upstanding. NONE of that was justification for bringing him here, but it is enough in my humble opinion to be happy about his departure without attempting to disgrace the man like he TRIED to tank the program. So my position is let's have some balance here. We can talk about the benefit of his being gone and bringing in someone more qualified. Fine. We can talk about the Boy Scout experiment being over. Fine. But the cynicism?

To me, I don't think Beaty earned a quarter of the money that he's gotten. I don't think the body of work has earned his buyout. But the one thing he IS owed is respect. Many will disagree, but as a man he did give his heart.

Titus Canby 1 week, 4 days ago

Joe, thanks for showing some civility.

Everyone else, please read what Beaty said about "the great University of Kansas" and the "shoulders of the giants we stand on." Now compare this to what Charlie Weiss said about his team being a "piece of crap."

I like David Beaty. I respect him. I appreciate his loyalty to his players, his team, the fans, and his employer. I think he's a truly good man.

Unfortunately, he just didn't work out as head coach.

Sae Thirtysix 1 week, 4 days ago

TCanby & JRoss, I agree entirely. The results stink. Flat solid fact. But in the man, HCDB - resides a heart that cares for the athletes on his team.

Here is to JLong and his ability to bring in a new coach who will deliver wins!! RCJ!!

David Kemp 1 week, 4 days ago

I agree and applaud his effort. Unfortunately he never had the skill or ability to do this job and never had seasoned assistants to assist his lack of experience. He was set up to fail and most of the last 7 years fall in zenger and not Beaty

Kevin Robert Fest 1 week, 4 days ago

I agree Joe, my frustration is directed more at the KU administration then at Beaty. The long long years of losing, poor coaching and dismal play have gotten to me. I didn't think it would get worse after Gil and Weis but it did. I always applauded Beaty when he kicked players off the team, he didn't play favorites, whether a contributor or 2nd 3rd stringer he didnt put up with nonsense. No one play bigger than the program. But the delay of game on the first play of the season, multiple time outs before a punt or players yelling at the side line to send In a play are too much to just want him out. I'm sure he's a swell guy just not a head coach. But that's not his fault it's Zengers hiring for him.

Micky Baker 1 week ago

Then think about that before you post, because it's going to remain up there to prove you either aren't telling the truth now or just wasn't thinking at the time you posted the comment further above in the comments. Look man, it was classless what you posted.

Michael Maris 1 week, 4 days ago

Joe, very well put. Hopefully, we Jayhawk fans will see some truly inspired Jayhawk football players this coming weekend and see a long awaited victory over K-State.

Doug Wallace 1 week, 1 day ago

Got to agree with Joe on this one!

Especially about Beaty caring about his players,In addition I beleive he didnt want to tank the program.

You know lets face it. He didnt cut the mustard as a coach here, It was time for him to hit the road jack.But you know as a person I wish him luck in the future wherever he goes.

With that being said I hope we get a new coach like Miles or someone good for a change

RCJH Everyone!Hoping for a better 2019 and a great coach.

Bill Kackley 1 week, 4 days ago

After reading Tony and Kevin’s posts I was beginning to wonder if there was any class amongst KU fans. Glad to see there is.

Dirk Medema 1 week, 4 days ago

Thank you Joe.

Weren't you the person who wondered about being undefeated to start conference play? We got sideways after that, and I am sorry about that, but wonder what you think now.

Surely we wouldn't fire a coach that is 4-5 going into the rivalry game. Would a coach at .500 get to the end of the season? Gosh, even the difference in perception a couple dropped TDs makes.

My guess is that at the end of the day there were too many end red zone trips nails in the coffin to make any substantial difference. An espn article was interesting and I thought well written that as inevitable as this is the program is at least in a much better position than what he inherited. As long as there aren't mass defections.

Joe Ross 1 week, 4 days ago

Yes I did think we would be undefeated heading into conference play. Had we had Pooka vs. Nicholls State, that prediction would have been true. As for what I think now, I think it's absolutely clear Beaty made progress in year 4. The problem is, he should have had that level of progress in year 2. I like the man. I thought a 5-win season could have saved Beaty's bacon. Even if we count Nicholls State as a "win", you still gotta get one from KState, which I don't think will happen. But we can come back here and talk about it if Beaty proves me a liar. If he does, Beaty had a strong chance of being .500 had he played Pooka which, by the way, his not doing so could well have cost him his job. But no matter the outcome vs. KSU, it's fair to think of any coach charged with rebuilding a program that the lack of progress in seasons 1-3 was enough to justify his firing.

But in my mind, if it's fair to remember his failures, it's honorable to acknowledge what he DID get right, and it seems that in their joy (or relief...or "whatever"...) few fans are willing to do that.

Dale Stringer 1 week, 4 days ago

The two First and Goals with no points were the nails. However, the hammer was the two defensive time outs in the last 70 seconds of the game. We were down 24 points. ISU stopped trying to score and just wanted to run clock out. We get the ball back and then just run out the clock for them. It felt like I was watch a little kid who invited his friend over to play a new video game and finds out his friend is a lot better at it, so he takes controller back right before the game is won so he can be the one to finish it.

Dirk Medema 1 week, 4 days ago

IIRC TG got a delay of game or called a timeout on his first possession ever also. Frustrating to say the least. Hoped both would improve but obviously not enough.

Eric Eakins 1 week, 4 days ago

Beaty wasn't the right man for KU Coach but he is a good man that gave it his all and I wish him well. I do believe he improved KU from what he inherited but unfortunately the improvement I've seen over 4 years really should've happened in one year. The weaknesses I see (game management) aren't getting any better and here we are looking for a new coach. He was paid handsomely and gave effort. No remorse or pity. Good luck and hope you find your dreams in your next job. Thanks for being classy on the way out. Beat the cats.

1 week, 4 days ago

HOW are we Still 12 pt 'dogs to kst? 'hc'db, clearly. ouch. thought 3.5 would do it... rcjh

Brett McCabe 1 week, 4 days ago

Beaty will land as a recruiting coordinator somewhere in Texas/Louisiana but I think he should go the DIII route. Kids not on scholarships, kids who want to play simply to play, no parents looking over the shoulder...probably as pure as amateur athletics get in the U.S. (not angel-pure, but pure in sports terms).

In any case, his family's finances are secure for life, he got a chance to coach a Power Five university and he has a long football future in front of him. Not too shabby.

Brent Held 1 week, 4 days ago

As a freshman in 2013 I made a promise to attend the next KU bowl game no matter the distance. Anyone else have this kind of commitment? I honestly(and foolishly) thought it wouldn’t be this long.