Thursday, May 17, 2018

WR Bobby Hartzog Jr. transferring from KU as graduate

Kansas wide receiver Bobby Hartzog Jr. (5) heads up the sideline after catching a toss during the fourth quarter on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2016 at Memorial Stadium.

Receiver Bobby Hartzog Jr. won’t be a part of the University of Kansas football program this coming fall.

The redshirt senior announced Thursday his plans to transfer from KU and complete his college career elsewhere.

Hartzog made known his decision to move on and join the Texas Southern football team with a note on Twitter.

The 5-foot-11 receiver from Houston wrote that he resolved to leave Kansas with “mixed emotions,” and thanked head coach David Beaty for making the move possible.

“Because of him I was able to get a medical redshirt last season and find a school to play my final season of eligibility where I can be closer to my dad, who has had some medical issues,” Hartzog wrote.

After making at least one reception in each of the eight games in which he played in 2016 as a junior, Hartzog suffered a season-ending injury one game into what would have been his final year of playing, in 2017.

Because he graduated from KU this past weekend, Hartzog will be able to compete for Texas Southern this fall without sitting out a year.

Hartzog said he was grateful to those he encountered during his four years at Kansas, calling the university a “second home.”

“To every coach, professor, counselor, administrator and teammate, you will never be forgotten and I am extremely appreciative of all the moments we have shared,” he wrote.

Hartzog first hinted at the move Wednesday night, when he tweeted out a video highlight accompanied by the phrase, “another chapter begins,” along with a Texas Southern hashtag, #3rdWardU.

None by Bobby Hartzog Jr.⚡️

None by Bobby Hartzog Jr.⚡️

Comments

Bryson Stricker 2 months ago

acts surprised

Think everyone saw this coming. Congrats to Bobby on getting his degree and getting to be closer to his dad.

Brett McCabe 2 months ago

By joining Texas Southern, he'll be joining a program that won more games last year than Beaty has in three years. With a stadium capacity of 22,000, he'll probably also be playing to larger home crowds this fall.

Congratulations to this young man. Hope that he has a great season as he moves on to a better football program, a new opportunity and a chance to win.

Jeff Coffman 2 months ago

Glad to see Hartzog succeed.

Of course, I'd be curious if we are dropping to the high 50s yet in scholarships. A few weeks ago Zenger I think inferred lows 60s.

Bryson Stricker 2 months ago

This was more than counted into that number.

[''] 2 months ago

And you know that how? You don't.

Kevin Robert Fest 2 months ago

Oh (") how can you say that? Don't you know that Bryson is special?

"At least I get a call every month and emails with updates of the progress of our program". Bryson Stricker 4/18/18

He's on the nice list. Lmao

Phil Leister 2 months ago

How do you more than count something?

Brett McCabe 2 months ago

According to Zenger, it will take 100 years to get to 80 scholarships and then, and only then, will we be able to really evaluate the football renaissance at KU.

Kenny George 2 months ago

Why must every football story turn into this Zenger/Beaty garbage? Get a life all of you. This story has nothing to do with any of that.

Gerry Butler 2 months ago

AHHHH Brett did someone step on your tootsie's roflmao - -thought this was KU sports web site - -NOT Brett McCabe whiners site - -don't really think it's YOUR YARD SPARKY your really sad man

[''] 2 months ago

GerBear and his hyper hyphens are back on the double espressos and coke... ...again...

Gerry Butler 1 month, 4 weeks ago

ahhh you figured me out lmao - -golly that's kinda disappointing then again maybe not , you see were STILL trying to figure exactly what the hell your on - -possibly meth? , take your time , I'm not going anywhere I'll wait go ahead

[''] 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Focus GerBear Focus! - I'm not the one spazzing out not being able to type a coherent sentence and exploding bad grammar and punctuation from my mom's basement. Try a half line and decaf maybe next time?

No Yard Left Behind 2 months ago

Because those two yahoo's are the reason KUFB sucks right now. That's why the fan base keeps going back to the root of the problem, because it's not being addressed by anyone from KU. Until the $h*+ storm known as Zenger/Beaty blows through, I'd expect to see these types of comments.

Bryson Stricker 2 months ago

How did I know? Because I’m not an idiot.

He literally said he was leaving in October. He wasn’t involved in spring practice, ALL of you would know that if you went to spring showcase & he was wearing the same number as a new WR we brought in.

Kevin Robert Fest 2 months ago

~Because lm not an idiot~

Certainly up for debate Bryson.

Bill Kackley 2 months ago

Brett, why don't you head off to Manhatten. Then you might be happy. You are such a loser. I will be there for the 27th consecutive year as a KU football fan. And if you ask if I am happy about the last 7 years, no but I sure as hell arent the cry baby you are.

Mike Bennett 2 months ago

No you're just the enabler that allows KU to get by with putting out an inferior product year after year after year after year......

Gerry Butler 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Now Bill don't go and ruffle lil Brett's feathers he is kind of sensitive you know so don't do that lol

Kevin Robert Fest 2 months ago

Why is it that anybody who dares to post anything negative about this program is treated like a leper? Since 2010 the team is 14 - 81 and under Beaty is actually progressing downward as far as the product on the field. We're getting some highly rated recruits but that hasn't transfered itself again on to the field yet. Speaking from last year we weren't even close to being competitive I would say at least 11 out of the 12 games maybe the K state game was close for a while but sometimes we were down 28 -0 in the 1st quarter. Losing Non conference games to mid majors like Ohio Central Michigan, Iowa state used to be worse than us they blew past us, a winless Baylor team that lost to liberty destroyed us we couldn't even hang with the worst team in the league and they won going away. Are things great no. Is all this complaining gonna help no. But people are frustrated and I know people on this board have a rosey outlook and they want to hope for the best and that's great but a lot of people are just frustrated by team they love and want to see win, but yet continually see such an inferior product that it's hard to say anything positive when year after year it gets worse if that's even possible

Ryan Ferree 1 month, 4 weeks ago

And that's the truth.. LOVE KU Football but this dumpster fire is getting really old.

Bryson Stricker 1 month, 4 weeks ago

I know that the people who post negatively aren't complaining about how they are treated......

If you don't mention Beaty being 3-33 at least once in a response here, someone replies to remind you.

This board is filled with illegitimate KU fans for the most part. I just saw someone call a 27 year season ticket holder, WF member and probably alum, an "enabler" because he continues to support his school while said person probably has never bought season tickets in their life.

Like I've told you all 1,000,000 times, the school & AD only care about the fans who care about them. If you hadn't bought season tickets before, your threats of not going until they fire zenger/beaty mean nothing because there is no evidence you are going to be there still.

Rock Chalk and can't wait till Saturdays this fall. Look forward to sharing it with 10k of my fellow alumni!

No Yard Left Behind 1 month, 4 weeks ago

If what you say is true Bryson, than the university is full of idiots. The majority of ticket holders now are most likely well to do and obviously don't show up to games based on ALL THE EMPTY SEATS! Let's be honest, FB & BB bring in big $ when the fans show up and care. If KU doesn't want to figure out how to get more people on board to support the team both at the games and in the pocket book, that sounds like the same kind of people that would keep Zenger and Beaty around. A bunch of fools. Obviously you want to be a part of the KUFB thing, I just want to see them win occasionally or maybe more than that. I don' see how anyone can slam someone for being down on this program and the people involved outside of the students. 10k at a power 5 FB game is nothing to brag about.

Kenny George 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Kevin, I am also frustrated by our performance on the field but at the same time this article is really about a kid that graduated on time and has a chance to play one more year of football and be closer to his ailing father...and then it always comes back to Zenger/Beaty situation. I'm just saying keep the comments focused on the article.

Kevin Robert Fest 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Understood Kenny l wasn't the one who initially got off point just responding to it. But point well taken none the less.

Jeff Coffman 1 month, 4 weeks ago

It is also about one less person on a scholarship.

Beaty was hired to fix the scholarship situation and it is in just a bad of shape in his fourth year.