Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Juco CB originally from Louisiana plans to join KU football

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

A Kansas football secondary already counting on contributions from newcomers this coming fall could have another addition in the mix.

Ricky Thomas, a junior college cornerback from Blinn College (Texas), announced Wednesday on Twitter his intentions to join the Jayhawks.

Originally from Geismar, La., the 5-foot-10, 165-pound corner was rated a two-star prospect in the Class of 2016 by Rivals, and reportedly had offers from Grambling State and Southern Miss.

After completing his prep career at Dutchtown High, though, Thomas took the juco route, joining Blinn College.

There, Thomas redshirted in 2016 before making his college debut this past fall. In nine games for Blinn in 2017, Thomas made 20 tackles, broke up four passes and finished with three interceptions.

In his note announcing his pledge to KU, Thomas characterized his path through the juco ranks as “one of the toughest” battles in life thus far.

As is always the case with such announcements, Thomas’ vow is non-binding. Still, the corner told the Journal-World he plans to join KU this summer with hopes of playing as soon as this fall.

Thomas would have three years of eligibility remaining.

None by Ricky Thomas🌴

Comments

Kevin Robert Fest 1 week, 3 days ago

Hey Bryson what is your book report on this article. Did Benton cover the topic to YOUR satisfaction. Was there enough praise for this recruit? Please let us know since you are all knowing when it comes to KU FOOTBALL. Quick Bryson refresh your email don't want to miss an update from DB.

At least I get a call every month and emails with updates of the progress of our program. Bryson Stricker 4/18/18

THAT'S HOW SAD YOU ARE.

Bryson Stricker 1 week, 3 days ago

Just like John Fitzgerald doubled down on Coe & Devonta not coming here, I will proudly say this kid will not attend our university. Solid kid with a tough life journey but doubt he even steps foot.

John Fitzgerald 1 week, 2 days ago

I'm glad I was wrong about Coe. But still sad I was right about Devonta.

Kevin Robert Fest 1 week, 3 days ago

Is this information based on an email or phone call?

Bryson Stricker 1 week, 3 days ago

dude, if you're going to quote me, do it with the legitimate quote. plz & ty.

You'll find out in about 3 weeks when Benton posts he isn't coming.

Kevin Robert Fest 1 week, 3 days ago

Dude l copied and pasted it directly from the site the day you posted it. Ty & your welcome.

Oh l see you must have gotten an email. Good for you. Do you feel special for having that information? You'll probably bitch about how Benson reports it and of course you brag that you had that information first.

Sack

Jeff Coffman 1 week, 3 days ago

When I heard a few weeks ago, that we are in the 60s in scholarships after Beaty has been here 3 full recruiting cycles of his own. I was always under the perception that much of the issue was due to the building up of the scholarship players. After seeing another JUCO and counting out that these are 3 year players. I see how, if every player stays, we still only get to 75. I know we get a few high school players, but year over year, this is not patch work, this is how Beaty is hoping to build his team, which in the long run is going to hinder the building of the long-term roster. This is why I hear it is going to take another 3-5 years to build the roster.

And if Bryson is correct that this player never plays, it just keeps on digging.

I don't see how we get better under Beaty.

Bryson Stricker 1 week, 3 days ago

This kid plays no role in digging our scholarship numbers. In fact, his sole recruited purpose was to patch up a potential hole in our scholarship numbers that may be arising.

We'll find out more in the coming weeks.

In regards to your comments about Beaty's numbers, there is some validation to it all but something you must keep in mind is that you can only bring in 25 scholarship players a year. Reported numbers are never the actual numbers and I'll say this, Beaty had somewhere between 45-55 when he came here with about 35 of them on a 2 year out the door. There were also multiple players that NEEDED to be removed from the program.

This class brings us to 100 scholarships David Beaty has had the opportunity to put together. You give us a month from now when all will have reported to campus, you are looking at about 72-75 scholarship players on our roster. You subtract the players on scholarship that Beaty didn't recruit, we are at about 70 and we'll use that number for simplicity purposes.

so 70% of the scholarships beaty has given out are still here AND playing.That's below the mark I would like and imagine the mark anybody would like. But given what Beaty had to do to recruit kids (emphasize early playing time, not get full evaluations of kids character with first class, etc) it is not completely surprising to see the numbers where they are.

Now moving forward, keep in mind beaty is now losing classes to graduation with an emphasis to the fact we HAD to get some JUCO kids in here. We just had to, regardless of if you agree with it, we had to. So obviously some things get sped up along the way. If you use the 70% statistic, we are going to be losing 17-18 kids per year now while ONLY able to add 25 new scholarships per year. Some other variables come into play but I hope this makes sense for you and anyone who reads it.

Jeff Coffman 1 week, 3 days ago

All makes sense, but a few comments:

1) Beaty and Zenger have referenced low 60s in number of scholarships in the past few weeks, so if it was at 75, I'd be alright, but it isn't close.

2) I thought there was gray shirts and blue shirts that you can influence the number of scholarships, so although you talk about 25 a year, if you use time of year, you can flex it a little.

3) My understanding is once a scholarship is offered and accepted the count happens. So basically this guy has burned a scholarship whether or not he ever steps foot on campus. I believe it was Weis to had a difficulty with some of these types of players.

4) I'm probably one of the few people that think that Gill setup Weis horribly and he had to clean house. Weis was used to easy recruiting (ND), and therefore this was never a good hire from a recruiting standpoint, and he perpetuated the problem further. And although I do believe that Beaty had a good plan, I just think with zero success his plan will sink and get work. Beaty just didn't turn out to be a good coach and won't get better with time at KU.

Bryson Stricker 1 week, 3 days ago

IRT 1) We have 11 kids not on campus right now that received a scholarship offer in this class.

2) Gray shirts and blue shirts don't affect the overall 100 scholarships he's had available. You could technically argue he has 125 cuz he could gray shirt all of those 25 but he isn't and we are already aware of the few grayshirts he may be using.

3) Once a LOI has been signed, that scholarship is used. If a kid doesn't make it to campus for some reason or another, we can most times get that scholarship back, its a situation by situation basis.

4) I'd agree with you for the most part. I do think there's sadly a good chance Beaty is let go after this year but I am hopeful and supportive through it all and won't stop supporting until he is officially gone.

Kevin Robert Fest 1 week, 3 days ago

Great points Bryson. But at some point you have to think not all will stay, due to transferring, injury retirement, or kicked off team. We have lost numerous players very season due to these issues. Further skewing the numbers.

Kevin Robert Fest 1 week, 3 days ago

I posted a few days ago Alabama lost 10 players to their 2015 class already. Most were transferring

Jeff Coffman 1 week, 3 days ago

They have walk-ons that will "earn" scholarships and offset the loss. Most large programs operate with 120 players. Alabama losing 10, will be supplemented without issue. our walk-ons are trying to fix a problem.

Edward Daub 1 week, 3 days ago

A Reel Steel for KU! Ricky Don't Lose That Number!

Barry Weiss 1 week, 3 days ago

Not sure what this means that he is "committed" to KU. Does that mean in his own mind? If it means more than that, that KU has offered him a scholarship, why would we do that if as Bryson says there is zero chance he ever comes here? Physically he is pretty small, must be fast I guess.

Bryson Stricker 1 week, 3 days ago

we do not have a scholarship for him at this time and other schools that do are showing much interest.

I believe this commitment is very conditional and I do not believe the KU staff wanted this to be public. Just my two cents.

[''] 1 week, 3 days ago

"Thomas characterized his path through the juco ranks as “one of the toughest” battles in life thus far." So does he see KU as tougher or easier?

John Fitzgerald 1 week, 2 days ago

CB is a key position for us this year. Not saying this guy will help or play but we need as many as we can get so we can have some competition at that position.