Sunday, July 22, 2018

KU defensive lineman Isi Holani arrested on suspicion of DUI

Kansas defensive tackle Daniel Wise (96) and Kansas defensive tackle Isi Holani celebrate a defensive stop during the first quarter on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2017 at Memorial Stadium.

Kansas defensive lineman Isi Holani was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence early Sunday morning, according the Douglas County Sheriff’s online booking report.

The report indicates that Tanikeni Israel Holani, a 6-foot-3, 325-pound senior from Kaumana, Hawaii, was picked up by Lawrence police at 2:19 a.m. at West 18th and Tennessee streets. After being booked, the report shows that Holani was released on bond around 12:42 p.m. Sunday.

A junior college transfer who arrived on KU’s campus in 2016, Holani played in 11 games during his first season with the Jayhawks and recorded 11 tackles, including two for loss.

He played in just two games last season before an early-season knee injury put him out for the rest of the 2017 season. Holani was granted a medical redshirt in the offseason and is listed on this year’s roster as a redshirt senior.

After Holani was lost for the season a year ago, KU coach David Beaty said: “For the future, it's really good, but for right now, I feel bad for the kid, because he's come a long way. I thought it was going to be a really big year for him. But he's got some time left. I think it’ll only help him as we move forward.”

When reached by the Journal-World Sunday afternoon for reaction to the incident, a KU football spokesperson said: “We are aware of the situation. We are currently still collecting all of the details. When that process is completed, we will have further comment.”

Comments

Kevin Robert Fest 2 months, 3 weeks ago

How dumb can one person be? In this day and age. Like the program needs this headache right now. I'd be surprised if he's not suspended for the season. Dumb Dumb Dumb. Teams from Alabama on down deal with this crap no team is immune. No excuse for this. Shame on him. Shame on him.

John Joseph Gorski 2 months, 3 weeks ago

No way they suspend him for the season for this. Maybe a quarter or half the first game but not for the season.

Jacob Zutterman 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Suspend for the season eh? Suppose Ben Heeney could add some words to that

John Fitzgerald 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was dismissed from the team for this. But hopefully he just gets a game suspension or less.

John Fitzgerald 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I realize now ‘hopefully’ was a really bad word choice. Should have said ‘odds are’ or ‘most likely’ instead.

Dale Rogers 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't see dismissal unless there have been other or similar problems. When Brady Morningstar was arrested for DUI on the turnpike, he was suspended from basketball games for a short period. I don't recall how long. I remember being that age. Kids make mistakes (as do we older guys). I don't see any serious punishment if this is truly a first offense. But a second offense...

Jerry Walker 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Brady was suspended for a semester...about half a season. Coach Self said it was not a hard decision to make.

Kevin Robert Fest 2 months, 3 weeks ago

You think a DUI is just a one suspension? A half, a quarter of a game? Hopefully? Seriously! Hopefully!? Oh ok so if anybody gets caught driving under the influence let's just be lenient, especially if they play for my favorite team. Oh a dui is ok as long as it doesn't cost my team any wins. For f sake. Let's not hold him accountable. He plays football why should he get suspended for more than a half. Smh.

John Fitzgerald 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I agree a DUI is a huge issue. We also don’t know all the facts. Either way this puts Beaty in a tough spot as Long will be looking right at him as he makes his decision whether to suspend or dismiss Holani.

Matt Gauntt 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Lots of hard liners here.

Let me ask you guys this.......If you got a DUI, would it be OK if your boss fired you from your job? Would you object if you got fired?

I'm not excusing at all what he did. He will pay the price in the legal system for it. I get it - a DUI is a very serious matter.

We are talking a young man that made a really idiotic decision. His decision had nothing to do with football. He does deserve some punishment from the school, but let's put it in context with what would be appropriate for your job.

John Fitzgerald 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I see DUI’s as a bigger issue than most because a good friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver. It’s dangerous not just for the person driving but for everyone else on the road. And it’s something that can easily be avoided. A lot of Uber and taxi options out there.

Matt Gauntt 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Sorry for your friend. It is a horrible issue. Not questioning that part of it.

My point is that over the last 10 years, everything people do outside of work has now affected their jobs. I'm not sure that what we do outside of work is the employer's business. Will this young man get what he deserves in the court system - perhaps, perhaps not. Why is it the business of KU whether that penalty is enough or whether there should be more.

I was engineering at KU almost 30 years ago. If I had been picked up for a DUI, it would not have meant that I was kicked out of the school or could never practice my profession. Kicking out an athlete would mean then end of his sports career.

Not sure that is fair.

John Fitzgerald 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I hear you. But with how the media is these days it's easier for people to see these things than in the past. Also, he represents the University and any bad press like this can have a negative effect. Not saying he should be dismissed from the team but I'm just saying it's possible.

Kevin Robert Fest 2 months, 3 weeks ago

A half or quarter of a game is not punishment thats entitlement. I'm sure Long is going to see what Beaty does and if it's a quarter or a half he should be fired. He'll be fired anyway but does anyone think a new AD would allow only a half or a quarter of a game punishment. If he does long should be fired as well.

Mike Hart 2 months, 3 weeks ago

We get it, Kevin.. fire everyone. Beaty, Long.. and Self too if he speaks out in support of either. You are ridiculous...

Marcia Parsons 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Don't you suppose there is some sort of system set up to handle this kind of thing?

Chris DeWeese 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I agree. This sort of thing has happened before and will likely be handled according to KU Athletics standard operating procedure. This offense, along with anything else Isi Holani might have committed, will be taken into account when it's time to dole out punishment.

Michael Maris 2 months, 3 weeks ago

"They who are without sin among you, let them first cast a stone at Isi."

Kevin Robert Fest 2 months, 3 weeks ago

None of us are without sins but how many of our sins could have gotten others hurt or killed? DUI is a choice, like many others he knew he had a few drinks, but he convinced himself that he was OK to drive. Obviously he wasn't because the police saw enough to pull him over. How many people on this board have known somebody killed by a drunk driver, or have known somebody that loved somebody killed by a drunk driver? He deserves punishment. Beaty has enough to worry about and he knows others are watching. So lm guessing punishment is going to be severe. I don't feel a bit sorry for this kid. He didn't make a mistake he made a choice. Only lucky he didn't ruin other peoples lives.

Matt Gauntt 2 months, 3 weeks ago

The difference between committing a crime and killing someone is a matter of probability. Many people have been drunk and gotten to their destination OK. Sadly, many have committed the ultimate tragedy on another.

Let's explore things a little farther.

• If you are texting while driving, you might drive and never run into anyone. Then again, you might drive and run into someone while you are driving. It's a matter of probability.
  • If you are driving on bald tires, you might get home safe, but then again, you might lose control and slam into someone.
  • Maybe you are going 20 miles over the speed limit.....perhaps probability isn't with you and you end someone's life because you lose control.

Mistake vs. choice - semantics.

If you have never texted while driving, drove in a faulty care and never broken the speed limit, then OK, you can be holier than though. If not, perhaps the old adage applies:

"When you point your finger at someone else, there are three pointing back at you"

Jerry Walker 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Ascribing every outcome in life as just a matter of probability misses the mark by a wide margin.

Joe Black 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Matt, I don't know you but that is one of the most idiotic analogies I have ever seen. I get the point you were trying to make but you can't compare something that is illegal to things that are not illegal. As for your other argument that you wouldn't get fired from your job for a DUI, think again. There are many jobs that you would lose it you were convicted of DUI. And that isn't even the point. Football is not his job. It is a privilege he has due to his athletic ability. That privilege can be taken away if you conduct yourself in a way that puts the university/organization in a bad light. I realize you are probably a pretty smart guy but things are not always as black and white as everyone would like them to be.

Mike Hart 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Texting while driving is legal? Seems to go opposite to most states/counties these days...

Greg Ledom 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I think Matt is spot on actually. If you can’t see it by reading the words, look between them. Last time I checked, texting while driving is illegal, speeding is illegal, and if you don’t think you’ll pay the price for killing someone for having a tire blow because it was bald, think again. The point, I believe, is that no matter what caused the taking of a life, if it’s because you chose to do something that in the end killed someone, it doesn’t matter what caused it, but that a decision you chose to make, caused it. That’s how I interpret Matt’s post. Should there be disciplinary action? Yes. What should it be? Not for you or I to decide.

Kevin Robert Fest 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Everybody in the Kansas/Missouri area remembers that POS Leonard Little, does something like that have to happen again for people to realize how bad this could have been? All he received was probation and community service AND he was more than 2x legal limit. Then he gets picked up again for dui a few years later. Enjoy Hell Leonard.

Bryson Stricker 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Damn, a passionate Kevin, I like it.

this stuff is handled by university and only a stricter punishment would have anything to do with David Beaty.

We are all young and dumb at some point and more than likely all of us have driven above the legal limit (it's really easy to get to).

Hope Isi learns from his mistake.