Monday, January 15, 2018

Juco QB to enroll at Kansas this semester

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

The Kansas football team didn’t sign a quarterback during December’s early signing period, but head coach David Beaty and his staff won’t have to wait until February to add a QB to the 2018 recruiting class.

A junior college prospect, Miles Kendrick visited KU this past weekend, and according to Jon Kirby of Jayhawk Slant, the College of San Mateo (Calif.) quarterback decided not only to play for the Jayhawks, but also to go ahead and enroll for the spring semester.

Rivals rates Kendrick, a 5-foot-10, 200-pound dual-threat QB originally from Morgan Hill, Calif., as a three-star juco prospect. The recruiting site lists no other programs who showed interest in Kendrick or offered him a scholarship.

An under-the-radar recruit, Kendrick became San Mateo’s starter in Week 4 of his freshman year this past fall, and finished with 1,889 passing yards, 18 touchdowns and nine interceptions, as well as 417 rushing yards and five touchdown carries.

“Being 5-foot-10 has pushed me through my whole career,” Kendrick told Jayhawk Slant. “People told me I should be a running back or a wide receiver and everyone has their opinions. But that has motivated me to play quarterback like I have a boulder on my shoulder.”

Kendrick will be a sophomore at Kansas this year. He becomes the 10th junior college player in the Class of 2018 for the Jayhawks.

Comments

Bryson Stricker 8 months, 1 week ago

I'm all in. Todd Reesing 2.0. Hopefully he's serious about that chip on his shoulder. Will carry him a long way.

John Fitzgerald 8 months, 1 week ago

Reesing 2.0? Really? I think BS is just saying things now. And this guy looks more like a decent backup QB.

Kevin Robert Fest 8 months, 1 week ago

The most profound thing you ever said on this board Bryson

Bryson Stricker 8 months, 1 week ago

No, I'm just the smart kid in the room full of idiots on the messaging board that gets little to no quality info.

I'd definitely suggest redirecting the money you all claim you won't spend on football tickets to Jayhawkslant so that you can get knowledge from the people who actual get told things, not guys who report info and what they see (which Benton is very good at).

John Fitzgerald 8 months, 1 week ago

You can tell when someone has admitted defeat when they start insulting everyone. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings, buddy. I just don’t think he’s the 2nd coming of Todd Reesing. His stats aren’t even close to suggesting that.

Bryson Stricker 8 months, 1 week ago

John, I urge you to watch his film and stop looking at stats.

If we did that, we never would have gotten todd in the first place. Be realistic dude, stop being ignorant. The guy looks and plays the part of Todd Reesing, except he's black.

John Fitzgerald 8 months, 1 week ago

I did watch the film. Also his “film” is just a snapshot of his best plays. How can you already peg him as Todd Reesing 2.0 just from that? And his stats paint a much clearer picture than his film. I’d say it makes more sense to compare him to Michael Cummings if you feel the need to compare him to anyone.

And finally, it’s very interesting that you insult everyone that disagrees with you. The KU psych department should do a project on your irrational outrage to see where your parents went wrong. It could help the kids of the future so their parents know what not to do.

Bryson Stricker 8 months, 1 week ago

I didn't ask you to watch his highlight tape. I asked you to watch his film. I know the difference and I suggest you try to learn it as well.

Stats do not paint clear pictures at all. Given situations do. He had a 1k rusher on his team. Well John, there are only so many damn minutes in the game. You can't throw for 5k yards when you team also runs the ball really well in an average tempo.

If you watch his highlight video, looks a lot like Todd Reesing's highlight video. But I'm willing to bet you probably were down about Todd Reesing when KU got him too.

John Fitzgerald 8 months, 1 week ago

I watched the film that Jayhawk Slant posted on their twitter. Is that not “film”? Are you saying they’re wrong for labeling as film and not a highlight tape? I really thought you were all about Jayhawk Slant.

Bryson Stricker 8 months, 1 week ago

I am a big fan of JayhawkSlant and Jon Kirby because him & I talk about things that we both are made aware of. I'm sure you'll also listen to our podcast here shortly.

They labeled it as film but they know it is not and if you need help finding his film. Le me know.

Sae Thirtysix 8 months, 1 week ago

jFouitz . . . admiting defeat - "when they start insulting everyone." Niiiiiice!!

Lmao yeah "the smart kid" according to you. Smh

Kevin Robert Fest 8 months, 1 week ago

All we can do is wait for Spring and Fall camp to see who comes out on top at the qb position.

Jeff Coffman 8 months, 1 week ago

I always find it interesting that we attract Dual Threat QBs; however, Beaty runs the Air Raid.

Kevin Robert Fest 8 months, 1 week ago

Well just look at it this way Jeff at least with dual threat ability he can run for his life when the o line opens up like a broken dam. Instead of looking like Bender back there. How many qbs does KU have on the roster now? I think that they have a few walkons as well.

Aaron Paisley 8 months, 1 week ago

The Air Raid is a variation of the spread offense. Having a dual threat QB allows the QB to take off and run when nobody is open. It also forces defenses to spy the QB which takes a defender out of coverage which helps the passing game.

Bryson Stricker 8 months, 1 week ago

My understanding and it pretty widely known that the offense is moving more towards the spread option/RPO look moving forward.

I think it was very clear after looking at the QB's we were chasing heavy. (Viramontes, Scott jr, kid from texas the other day.. cant remember his name.. not jones grandon and now Kendrick)

Gerry Butler 8 months, 1 week ago

Exactly, again we have dual threat QB's but do we use them? - -OH NO -- Starks as we were told was suppose to be the perfect example of what Coach was looking for. - -Look nothing against this Juco QB , but man No other schools with interest - - or no others offered ? - -5 ' 10 ? - -I'm sorry I'm just afraid at a P-5 school of College , going to have a really hard time seeing over lineman - just not a good fit - -I think you would think a better height for a QB is going to be 6'1 - -6'2 would be pretty ideal. - -I don't know I could be way of base maybe beyond the left center field fence, I hope the kid can prove me wrong -- prove a lot of people wrong. - -I'm not getting excited anymore until results are proven, I/we have seen TO many transfer QB's that was suppose to be the answer. - -This to me being 5'10 - -no interest, no offers - -sounds like a bad combination. - -Maybe he has a attitude - -an edge that can carry him through and show people we are wrong - -hope he can - -we shall see.

Doug Stahler 8 months, 1 week ago

Beaty runs the "Run for your life from the 3 man rush" with a mix of "We hate to mix it so throw into 8 man coverage" offense and sometimes the "We ran 2 reverses in the same game" which is actually a form of defense.

Robert Brock 8 months, 1 week ago

I think there is a reason why radar did not pick up this kid.

Brad Avery 8 months, 1 week ago

I am not a Beaty fan, but neither Todd Reesing nor Bill Whittemoore, Mangino's most successful quarterbacks, were heavily recruited. Reesing had an offer from Duke when they were terrible and Whittemoore was offered by New Mexico. On tape, Miles appears to be a tough, smart little dude who is mobile and throws a nice ball. I wish Beaty would add #81, his main receiver, to the list. Worth a shot, especially with who we have now. http://www.hudl.com/profile/4208141/miles-kendrick

Bryson Stricker 8 months, 1 week ago

Thank You Brad for your knowledge, due diligence of research and your support.

Kevin Robert Fest 8 months, 1 week ago

You see guys if you actually agree with what Bryson says you get his support. Ok nothing but nice things from me from now on l want to be one of Bryson's Boys

Gerry Butler 8 months, 1 week ago

I'm not holding my breath just yet. - -his TD/ INT Ratio isn't the greatest 18 /9 - -2-1 -- hmmmm lot of bad reads - - -not accurate thrower - -wonder what his completion rate was?

Bryson Stricker 8 months, 1 week ago

58%.. Watch the film Gerry. I don't just mean his highlights. I mean the film, watch his stance. Watch his reads on read options. This kid is F***ing good and if I have to watch someone on this messaging board say this is a bad pickup im going to stop being a fan.

Brad Avery 8 months, 1 week ago

You can breathe now, Gary. Miles was a freshman playing at a pretty high level of JUCO ball. That might explain his interception ratio. If you look at the coaches portion of the San Mateo website, it is a big time school and they have coached a lot of good kids. He took his team to the Cal JUCO Championship game. If you look at the HUDL website, you see him playing in his high school championship game (presumably) and for San Mateo all in 2017. No one is claiming that he is Tom Brady 2nd., but, as I say, he certainly is worth a shot considering what KU has coming back at his position.

Dirk Medema 8 months ago

81 is 6-4, 215 Rajae Johnson. A freshman WR from St Louis. Miles was qualified, just overlooked, so he was eligible to transfer at any time. A lot of JC players are there because they didn't have the grades or scores to qualify out of HS, and need the AA degree to become D1 eligible. He looks like he'll be a beast. Who knows, maybe having Miles will lure him closer to home in '19.

John Brazelton 8 months, 1 week ago

Another choice in the QB room won't hurt anything. Hopefully, we hire an excellent offensive line coach and our upper class linemen start playing Big 12 quality line play this season. A dual threat QB inside the 20 yard might help our scoring opportunities this season as well. I'm sure Meacham wants to get his mojo back as an offensive coordinator.

Mike Nicco 8 months, 1 week ago

I also wish we could find an excellent offensive line coach. But, if I am one, I’m not coming to be a part of this staff. What happens if another bad season unfolds? Hard to convince me to move knowing in 11 months I could be out of a job.

Aaron Paisley 8 months, 1 week ago

Based on this, it sounds like the kid has 4 years to play 3. This appears to be a development project for a couple of years from now when Stanley is gone.

Imma leave this here:

If he was 6-foot he wouldn't have gone to KU.

It's the same reason Lyndsey Scott didn't have people knocking down his doors.

These are the type of kids KU needs to find. I think he gives you an element you don't have on the roster that you need.

To be honest I knew about him for a while and thought KU would get on him during the Dec 15 visit date. When they didn't I questioned what they were doing. Then through some calls I made it was clear they weren't bringing any visitors this week. I don't know when the visit materialized but the coaches knew something and had it planned and didn't want anyone to find out.

I didn't even know he visited until it was over. But I am certain what they did was bring him in the latest possible weekend they could where it would be tough for other schools to try and steal him late. Oregon State is now looking for a JC QB (for example).

Coaches out there are way too caught up in measurables. I don't think people would believe what college coaches think two inches or 15 pounds does to a recruit. I could show you a productive DE who is 6-foot-3, 225 pounds and then show you another kid with potential but not as productive who is 6-foot-5, 235 and 99% of college coaches would take the 6-foot-5 guy.

It is just way the system works. I can't tell you how many times over the last 15 years I talk to a college coach and ask what did you think of the recruit? And response is "He's a good looking prospect. Looks great on the hoof." Or "that's what you want them to look like."

Rarely do you hear "he's a heullva player but a tad short." Looks and body is what a lot of guys recruit off of.

At KU you need to go out and find a Miles Kendrick more than not. You need to find Steven Sims who Colorado wanted to offer but said "he was just a little too light." Or Daniel Wise where Texas A&M said "we just don't know if we can add weight to him and move him inside without losing his quickness."

Or Todd Reesing where Texas said "we'd take him if he was 6-foot-1."

• Jon Kirby

Kevin Robert Fest 8 months, 1 week ago

Bryson do you just love the sound of your own voice or what? Its a wonder you are not on the coaching staff by now with your astute knowledge of talent. GMAB. "To be honest I knew about him for a while and thought KU would get on him during the Dec 15 visit date. When they didn't I questioned what they were doing"

Bryson Stricker 8 months, 1 week ago

Yo Kevin, I know your IQ is less your age but if you even read that, you should know it wasn't my quote. and then at the bottom I put - Jon Kirby. Maybe you don't know who Jon Kirby is? at that point you should stop being a fan lmfao.

Kevin Robert Fest 8 months, 1 week ago

Does anyone hear a child crying? You question my iq when you start a sentence with yo?

Bryson Stricker 8 months, 1 week ago

I didn't question your IQ. I've known for quite some time you are not intelligent.

Kevin Robert Fest 8 months, 1 week ago

Its nap time for you now Bryson. Make sure you get a fresh diaper.

Brian Wilson 8 months ago

Give it up Fest....Kevin is spot on. Coaches are always way impressed by measurables. As a youth coach I always tried to watch the kids and evaluate which position each kid was most naturally successful at, even it the player didn't look pretty doing it. So IMO, to be successful sometimes as a coach you have to adapt the scheme and put your players in position to have success regardless of the measurables.

To me this height BS for QB's is just that. The heads of (10) offensive and defensive 6'5" guys are only so wide and take up the view of only so much of the view of passing lanes on the field.....so only in the minds of coaches did it ever cause much of a problem for 5'11" Russell Wilson or 5'10" Doug Flutie or Todd Reesing for that matter. Basically, if your view is blocked by someone's big head.....take a step and move over.

Also, I keep waiting for KU to focus on getting bigger and better offensive linemen. If we had a great OL our QB woudl have all the time in the world to deliver the ball.

Dale Rogers 8 months, 1 week ago

I have a novel idea.... let's wait and see how he does before we pronounce judgment. Geez.

Bryson Stricker 8 months, 1 week ago

Good thing Elite11 doesn't have any idea what talent is!

But boy oh boy, trust me. Kansas fans on kusports.com sure know how to evaluate talent. We should start having camps!

I can't wait till the day that Benton & Tom realize how much better their well written articles would be with a little research on their end.

"JUCO CQ ENROLL AT KANSAS THIS SEMESTER" was doomed for the viewers here to believe this was bad.

Kevin Robert Fest 8 months, 1 week ago

OMG big mouth strikes again. Ok he went to an Elite 11 camp. Don't you think that if there was really something there that more schools whether it be P5, MAC, or Div Ii would have offered? KU is his ONLY offer. Only you know talent Bryson just like on this board you know everything. Let's see if your proclamation of Reesing 2.0 comes true. Just because he went to an Elite 11 camp doesn't prove much. We've had QBs come from Notre Dame BYU UCLA Washington State etc all with big arms talent resume etc. What did they do? He's coming from a JC so where does it say that he's all that talented? Just because a coach says something the player still has to prove it. Let's just see where this goes.

Bryson Stricker 8 months, 1 week ago

I don't think I ever said he went to an Elite 11 camp nor does the article. :D.

Read and comprehend before you type please.

Kevin Robert Fest 8 months, 1 week ago

Ok my bad l meant to type he went to or worked with an elite 11 coach. Still doesn't mean he has talent nor does it mean that Benton was writing an article implying this was bad. Omg he worked with an Elite 11 coach Diug Doug Flute he must be.

Kevin Robert Fest 8 months, 1 week ago

Pull your head out of your A$$ before you post please.

Bryson Stricker 8 months, 1 week ago

You asked me to address your other points so I will.

P5 programs go after physical traits for their recruiting. Jon Kirby described it well as a 6'5 guy with less stats will get recruited heavily over a 6'3 stat stuffer at DE. Coaches want a guy that physically is meant for the job to guarantee a higher rate of return. This kid clearly doesn't meet that. He grades very well in the intangibles and above average in the on field product. You want to know who else did that? Todd Reesing, Baker Mayfield, Whitemore... I could go on. This kid is a winner and winning is infectious and also important.

All the transfers we have gotten in the past graded out well physically or were stat stuffers and we were praising that. Nobody is doing that here. We are acknowledging there are areas he may need improvement or lack in. But he addresses the areas we have had QB's struggle thus us sucking through. The article states that he is an infectious winner which is something we will need in our locker room and will do well with our team. Your worst nightmare may come true and this dude may save David Beaty his job.

Not very many schools knew he was eligible and doing what he did. He is a rarity in recruiting and especially in JUCO recruiting.

This Elite11 coach is ELITE. Look at his success rate and the products he puts on the field. These guys don't go around loosely hyping people up, he has to protect himself, his reputation as well as the other kids he coaches. You can't just say this kid is different and better than the rest because the rest will get pissed and leave. Kids come in from all over for this guy. I am going to take his word much further than I'll take Benton or TK.

In terms of his JUCO route. Look where he played. The best state for JUCO FB. Played against the top tier talent at a top tier school. This is their 3rd D1 QB in as many years there. They really wanted him back next year as well. He took his team to the championship in the hardest league at a level above HS football. There's something to be said about that.

The guy compared his mindset to Russell Wilson & Baker Mayfield. Remember that OU now calls Baker Mayfield daddy. They didn't even recruit him out of high school or give him a scholarship after transferring. You may as well put your trust that this staff just got a GEM otherwise you're just going to continue to be salty as hell lmao.

Kevin Robert Fest 8 months, 1 week ago

What a gem Didn't even start til the 4th game in JC. Because someone compared his mindset to Mayfield and Wilson doesn't mean that he has talent. There are 100s of football playing schools l find it hard to believe that with all these traits and training with an E11 coach that no one else even noticed....or cared.

Kevin Robert Fest 8 months, 1 week ago

Even KU wasn't sold on him until Tune decomitted the 2nd time so stop acting like hes Jesus. How many qbs did KU offer and none were interested one went to Minnesota Tune decomitted. When you start moving DOWN the list you finally get to players like this. It wasn't like KU has been on him hard. Sounds like their 4th or 5th choice. Tune committs we don't know this kids name.

Kevin Robert Fest 8 months, 1 week ago

So your telling me Dineen Wise Sims etc aren't winners they are the leaders of the team especially Dineen so they need this "infectious winner" to change the culture that's your argument? Rarity in recruiting omg Bryson the things you say lol. He's so rare no one cares to offer him a scholarship. NO ONE!!!

Bryson Stricker 8 months, 1 week ago

Find me another JUCO recruit in 2018 that has 4.5 years to play 3 seasons Kevin.

Like I said, he hadn't stated he was interested in leaving JUCO FB so that is why nobody offered him yet imo. Next year this time he would have had plenty of offers. If he was 2 inches taller right now he would have 30.

Bryson Stricker 8 months, 1 week ago

Find me a successful team that doesn't have their QB as a leader plz.

Kevin Robert Fest 8 months, 1 week ago

I would take one of the cheerleaders off the sidelines at this point, no qb no progress l get it. Its sad that no one has ever come close to Reesing in success and moxy this year will be 11 years l believe that KU hasn't had a decent quarterback. 11 years!!

Kevin Robert Fest 8 months, 1 week ago

Whomever the qb is it wont be Beaty leading him in a few years that's for sure

Dirk Medema 8 months, 1 week ago

It is indeed too early to crown the kid TR2.0, but this is exactly what many people on this site said we needed before the decision was made to criticize anything Coach Beaty does.

I would also suggest that besides his height part of the reason others were not recruiting him is because he only played the last half of his freshman season. Most colleges are not recruiting freshman.

Unless you're committed to criticizing Beaty this is good recruiting.

Jack Brooks 8 months, 1 week ago

I don’t know anything about this kid other than what I’ve read in this article. I truly hope he and the team are wildly successful, naturally. That being said it’s unfortunate that he’s coming into a situation where the HC has shown himself to be incompetent and does not know how to develop players. The good news (arguably) is said incompetent coach will likely only be here one more season and MAYBE the next staff will be able to develop these players. #FireBeaty #FIREBOWEN

Dirk Medema 8 months ago

Except that the coach has developed 5 players from no name recruits into players receiving post-season awards. Maybe the whole "doesn't know how to develop players" mantra is just lacking credibility, but by all means keep repeating it so that you can be sure you're right. Others are happy to ignore the facts and join in with you.

Jeff Suther 8 months, 1 week ago

This should be Stanley’s team and should have been the last 2 years. Beaty would have at least 3 more wins on his record if he would just stick with him. In the end no qb is going to look very good until our OL gets fixed. Until then we have to play mobile qbs so I’m glad to see them going after them.

Robert Brock 8 months, 1 week ago

KU football won’t amount to much unless Chancellor Girod has the guts to fire Sheahon Zenger.

Richie Wilson 8 months ago

Is Bryson Stricker Sheahon Zenger, maybe?

Skyler Owen 8 months ago

Does anyone have any info on who is at the top of Beaty's OL coach list? I saw an article on jayhawkslant but am not a registered member was wondering any rumors anyone has heard?

Doug Roberts 8 months ago

If he's a gamer I don't care how tall, short, fat, skinny he is. Reesing wasn't a prototype (Dayne Crist was), but he was a gamer. We haven't had one since.