Saturday, December 22, 2018

Quick recap: No. 1 Kansas falls at Arizona State to drop first game of season

Arizona State guard Rob Edwards, left, knocks the ball away from Kansas guard Quentin Grimes during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game Saturday, Dec. 22, 2018, in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Rick Scuteri)

For the first time since this season, No. 1 Kansas went down.

After leading for much of the game, KU faltered down the stretch to suffer an 80-76 loss at Arizona State Saturday night in front of the third-largest crowd at Well Fargo Arena. The ASU fans stormed the court after Kansas (10-1) suffered the narrow defeat.

It marked the second consecutive season that the Sun Devils topped the Jayhawks, as they now lead the all-time series by a 6-5 margin.

In a losing effort, Dedric Lawson scored 30 points and 14 rebounds. Lawson went 12-for-15 from the floor, though he dealt with foul trouble and recorded 31 minutes. Lagerald Vick added 14 points, while Devon Dotson scored 12.

KU, which led by as many as 12, held a lead for 37:19 of the contest.

Kansas plays host to Eastern Michigan at 1 p.m. Saturday.

Comments

Matt Gauntt 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Our guys got hacked all night long.

But with all the times we threw away the ball, we didn't deserve to win.

Michael Leiker 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Really not that fired up about the loss, we all knew one was coming, but, it’s time for Grimes to find his rhythm playing about a third of the minutes he’s currently getting. The second he finds it, back to normal but he’s a waste of space on both ends right now.

Dane Pratt 10 months, 4 weeks ago

I’m okay with the loss but damn, we don’t even get a shot off. That stings.

Bee Bee 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Coach red shirted the wrong guy. Ochai should be playing and Grimes watching. He s lost.

Allin Herring 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Yes two stats were very telling in this game! Grimes 4-12 AND Garrett 0-5 from the field. Can anyone tell me why Selfs is letting either one of these guys to shot the ball late in the game. When these two are in the game we are playing 3 on 5 on offense! Not an easy way to score.

Steve Zimmerman 10 months, 4 weeks ago

coach BS, spoke of Garrett: “When we recruited him, we recruited him to be exactly what he’s been. We’d like him to be a 40 percent three-point shooter right now, but that’s not going to happen, at least at this stage of his career. The things he does in other areas are probably more valuable than him being a prolific scorer for us."

======= So, it's up to Garrett if he wants to become a more complete player, for his future. Learn the basic, repeat: layups, layups, layups, from right and left sides.. not just from the right side, learn how to finish strong, use shoulder, extend arm, dunk with authority... i wonder if he can hire a personal coach for personal skills development, no offense..

Marius Rowlanski 10 months, 4 weeks ago

hmmm... Sounds like an impermissible benefit according to the NCAA. Would hate to see him sit out the rest of the season while the NCAA investigates.

Michael Leiker 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Garrett gets to the line though. And, he’s a lock down defender, and creates for others.

Justin Kruse 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Stopped attacking and getting the ball inside and just settled for too many 3s and jump shots. Should have been up by 15 at halftime and won this one easily. Dedric had a great first half and I thought McCormack looked great when he was in!

Marius Rowlanski 10 months, 4 weeks ago

I like McCormick's play also. Would like to see him getting 15 minutes or so every game.

Bryce Landon 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Where to start...where to start...

1) From this day forward, I hate Arizona State. There are a lot of college teams I have grown to hate over the years, and I am adding ASU to that list.

2) Good Lord, our defense was terrible in the second half. We were basically trading buckets with the Sun Devils the last ten minutes of the game! You can't win when you don't play defense.

3) Quentin Grimes did more to lose this game for us than anyone else in blue jerseys tonight. He was a turnover machine out there with lazy passes that got picked off and converted into ASU baskets. Honestly, that is the closest that one player has come to single-handedly losing a game for KU since Elijah Johnson single-handedly pissed away the 2013 Sweet 16 against Michigan.

4) There is a sense where I'm not surprised KU lost tonight. I am surprised (and disgusted) that we lost the way we did, melting down like Frosty when Professor Hinkel locked him in the greenhouse, but I'm not surprised we lost. We have been tempting fate almost all season, and tonight fate kicked us in the nuts.

5) To all my fellow KU basketball fans who think Dick Vitale is an insufferable Duke cheerleader - I never want to hear you complain about Dickie V again. Not after Bill Walton was basically ASU's biggest cheerleader last year and this year. Good Lord, could ESPN have found a more ignorant tool to call this game than Walton? And his broadcast partner was equally terrible, calling Dedric Lawson "Dedric Lawrence" and referring to Lawrence, KS as "Austin". Also, why did Walton feel it necessary to say, "I favor bridges over walls"? No one watching cares about your political opinions, Bill. You're on ESPN, not CNN or MSNBC. I'd tell you to stick to sports, but you suck at that too.

All in all, I feel like ASU urinated in my eggnog and then Bill Walton took a dump in my stocking, and the Jayhawks knocked over my tree.

In the words of former Ole Miss coach Bob Weltlich, "Merry F***ing Christmas".

Adam Bengtson 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Can KU get a freshman who is just ready to play? Was Grimes really on a NBA draft board? The only bright spot that is evident is Kansas will only lose Vick after this season. No one on this roster is ready for an NBA roster. The older I get the more critical I am. Why can’t we just be dominant?? We have the roster to be a good college team. Something is just missing. The bench is extremely disappointing.

Dane Pratt 10 months, 4 weeks ago

No what you mean. Lots of talent but the whole is not equal to the sum of the parts. Free throws have improved dramatically as of late which is encouraging and Dedric continues to impress in a big way.

Armen Kurdian 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Of our first 11, I'd have said before the start of the season this would be the toughest test. Have to say the missed hack on the three and the jump ball at center court were ridiculous calls. In a close game between two very good teams, those calls might have made a difference. But we were having so much success inside and kept trying to shoot the open three. Yes, I don't Dedric was double-teamed, but we could have overcome that. So, we gave it away, but ASU earned it too. Losing to a ranked team on their court happens a lot in this game.

Hate the Pac-12 though...just hate them. I have to live in CA with it.

Dane Pratt 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Never really thought about them much but we are 5-6 against the Pac 12 in the last 5 seasons including tournament losses to Stanford and Oregon. Wonder why we are struggling against a conference that really isn’t that good.

I'm starting to Hate them too.

Marius Rowlanski 10 months, 4 weeks ago

We usually match up with the better PAC 12 schools. Still sucks though.

Dane Pratt 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Wasn't always this way. Remember the B12 - Pac12 challenge? That was a 4 year series that ended in 2010. During that four year span we went 9-1 against Pac 12 teams.

Jeremy Bornman 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Not the end of the world.... I agree for the first time that Grimes so far has been a disappointment sans the first game. D Mac is not anywhere near one and done either... but end of the day it’s a big win for ASU and minus the obvious reffing discrepancies (could say that every game) the Devils earned a good win without Dok.... regroup and get ready for #15

Barry Weiss 10 months, 4 weeks ago

I was at this game and it was a true road game. That crowd was very, very loud and when they inched back into the game under two minutes, it was really loud. I thought our guys handled it pretty well except those last couple of turnovers and those were both very questionable to say the least. I'm not sure where these refs came from, and I don't like to blame losses on refs, but these guys let the Sun Devils hack us all night long and if we came within a foot of them, they blew the whistle. That said, we still played pretty good for being on a ranked team's home court. We just did not take care of the ball under two minutes and credit to ASU, they hit a couple of big time 3's and a late NBA step back J to seal it.

Dane Pratt 10 months, 4 weeks ago

That’s what home court does for you. Edwards comes off the bench and goes 5 for 8, 3 treys and hits the last 2 ft’s to seal the deal and doubles his season average in the process. Conversely, LV goes 3 for 11 from behind the arc.

Barry Weiss 10 months, 4 weeks ago

exactly...all in all, I am not that disappointed. The turnovers just let this one get away from us. I do think the foul totals were 22 on us, 12 on them. They did get the ball in the paint all night long. Our interior defense was not at its best.

Jan Koelsch 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Crimes should not be allowed to shoot 3s. He will get his chance. But not this season. Sour grapes maybe but the officials gave that game to ASU. KU had less than 6 times at the FT line. ASU had over 20 times. Turnovers were a problem particularly at the end of the game. And what is with the student antics when our guys were at the FT line? Should never be allowed and ASU should have gotten a technical for such unsportsmanship like conduct. Really sours me on ASU. This was so much worse than Mizzoui, if that is possible. And storming the floor put our coaches and players in jeopardy. It was a good game. We should have won. First loss-great teaching opportunity. Just sad that it happened as team gets ready to go to families for Christmas. Anybody know what happened with D. Lawson's hand?

Mallory Briggans 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Garrett was Texas basketball player of the year...…..Texas is a football state so obviously they don't know what a basketball player looks like . He is a defensive stopper ….ok well when you make a steal …..make the layup ……..Sometimes I feel he thinks hes playing horseshoes .just get the ball as close to the rim as possible …….geez …….