Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Les Miles keeping David Beaty assistants Tony Hull and Clint Bowen on staff

Kansas defensive end Dorance Armstrong, left, listens to associate head coach Tony Hull during preseason practice on Monday, Aug. 7, 2017.

Two of the most recognizable faces from former Kansas football coach David Beaty’s staff aren’t going anywhere.

Both running backs coach Tony Hull and former defensive coordinator Clint Bowen will be retained by new head coach Les Miles, KU announced Tuesday night.

Hull will remain the running backs coach under Miles, while Bowen will coach the safeties.

"I can't say enough great things about Clint and Tony," Miles stated in a release. "The work they have done since I have been here to help us in regards to the players already in our program and in recruiting has been extremely beneficial. They are talented coaches and recruiters, but what sets them apart is their ability to establish strong relationships with their student-athletes. Their familiarity with the program is a great asset to us as we move forward in building something special together here at KU."

photo

Kansas defensive coordinator Clint Bowen looks down field during the first half of an NCAA college football game against Texas Tech, Saturday, Oct. 20, 2018, in Lubbock, Texas.

Miles hired D.J. Elliot, most recently the defensive coordinator at Colorado, as KU’s D.C. earlier this month.

Since his playing days ended at KU, Bowen has spent 20 seasons serving on the coaching staff for the football program in one capacity or another, having coached defensive backs in 2018, and corners, safeties and linebackers at other points, as well as a stint coordinating special teams.

A successful recruiter for the program during his first three years since relocating to Lawrence from his hometown of New Orleans, Hull has recruited key contributors to the program such as safety Mike Lee, running back Pooka Williams and cornerback Corione Harris.

Williams, after a breakthrough freshman season in 2018, was suspended from team activities indefinitely after being charged with domestic battery earlier this month.

As of Tuesday, a KU spokesperson said nothing has changed regarding Williams’ status.

Miles now has just one full-time position left to fill on his first KU coaching staff.

Thus far, Miles has hired offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey, offensive line coach Luke Meadows, wide receivers coach Emmett Jones, defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot, defensive line coach Kwahn Drake, defensive backs coach Chevis Jackson and special teams coordinator Mike Ekeler, and retained Hull and Bowen.

A source told the Journal-Wold Eliot is expected to coach KU’s linebackers.

Comments

Randy Bombardier 4 months ago

This was a smart move. Despite what many think of Bowen as DC, he is respected and a great ambassador for KU. He is a legit safety coach and I think he did well with special teams. He brings passion.

Hull obviously a great recruiter. As backs coach I don't know how well he does but he's very bright and should pick up on gaps in his knowledge quickly.

This is an impressive move by Miles.

Len Shaffer 4 months ago

Bowen reminds me of Don Fambrough: a Jayhawk through and through, a great ambassador for the school, but not as good a coach as a representative. (I'm not talking about this move to coaching safeties, which I think will be good.)

Dane Pratt 4 months ago

Wonder how close he was to becoming head coach 4 years ago and what this program would look like today if he had. We'll never know.

Jack Hoff 4 months ago

You know Dane I think about this quite a bit as well. Really Really wish they would have picked him instead of Beaty. Had a pretty bad team playing spirited ball when he took over. I am certain he would made Kansas kids a BIG priority and overall he would have been a much better situational coach. Can't think of any noticeable gaffes he made during his time as the interim coach. Beaty had a lot of style with his Kansas blast but there was no substance. Les Miles thus far has done a great job reaching out to local kids!

Dane Pratt 4 months ago

Seemed like his players responded to him. They played pretty decent football for most of the season but unfortunately ended it with two lopsided losses on the road against OU and KSU.

Oh well, it may not be Paris but we’ll always have Iowa State. Were it not for that W we would be sitting at 10 consecutive last place finishes.

Michael Sillman 4 months ago

Seems like a good plan. Some continuity should be helpful. Another who might be worth keeping is the conditioning coach Woodfin. It felt like the players kept their legs in the second half of most games this year.

Andy Tweedy 4 months ago

I'm SHOCKED by the move with Bowen, not because I don't think it's a good move, I'm just surprised Coach Bowen would be asked to consider a lesser role in the program. But I do think it's great, I like him a lot, just not as the DC, I think it was time to move in a different direction at the DC position. And with Hull, I don't think anybody is shocked or displeased with this move, excellent!

Brett McCabe 4 months ago

Says a ton about both Miles and Bowen. This is what the Jayhawk football program should look like. Smart. Committed. True Blue. This is a great, great day for Kansas Football. If I hadn't already bought season tickets, I would again. Love this move by Miles. Keeps his lead La. recruiter. Keeps a guy who can inform the new staff on Big 12 offenses. This is friggin' smart football.

Dale Rogers 4 months ago

You have to remember Bowen has a family here with kids in school. He also is a Lawrence boy so Lawrence is home to him. And he's been at KU for 20 years. Change with all that in mind comes hard. Been there, done that, but in a different profession.

Henry Joseph Hofmeister 4 months ago

Finally. We have all been waiting to hear Hull is staying. We know with the proper program he is a recruiter. Bowen will be good, some people take a lesser role for a program that could likely be great. He probably believes in his guys.

Adam Bengtson 4 months ago

No. Get rid of anyone that has any ties in past 5 years. My goodness, this program needs a cleanse. If you could, I would get rid of every player in the program. I don't know why anyone cannot get it through their head, you have to kill off everything that exist, to change the whole culture.

Brett McCabe 4 months ago

So idiotic, it goes beyond words. I think Charlie Weis tried that, didn't he?

Yes, every kid in the program is worthless, behead them all! You and Mike Hart must be of the same ilk, it's the kids who are the problem. Let's trash them because they chose to come to KU and believed in the school and the program.

Or.....we can be smart for a change. Choose the things that make us stronger and build from there.

Gerry Butler 4 months ago

It's ok Adam - really it is - -everybody has bad days and isn't thinking right - -it's ok you hang in there. - -Holy crap GET RID of these two that the players know - - Get rid of Bowen that did - -YES did better with the defense -- the Defense is what kept us in a lot of games this year. - -Right at the top like 2nd or 3rd in the Nation in take aways - -I think it's good he can be retained in a lesser role - -I think he will be fine. - UA that's it - -let's get rid of everybody lmao. - -Good to here these guys staying around

Kevin Robert Fest 4 months ago

Lol really Adam? Get rid of Hull our best recruiter who brought in our most talented player Pooka? They should go to huh? Eventually the culture will change, some players will leave, some will graduate, they will be replaced with new recruits. It doesn't have to be all at once.

Dirk Medema 4 months ago

Brett - Definitely agree with the overall sentiment but it is almost as bizarre as the comment you're responding to to throw insults in Mike's direction. It is somewhat understandable that you would take shots at him after he's been opposite you on different concepts, but this is very much in line with his comments. Weren't you one of the people flaming on Bowen while Mike pointed out how improved the D has been as we have rebuilt the roster?

Dirk Medema 4 months ago

Doesn't Bowen make 3 DCs? 2 as assistants. It is nice to have that kind of experience on the staff.

At least the news has driven away most of the haters.

Mike Hart 4 months ago

Brett: really weak. Feel free to quote any article where I have ever trashed a recruit or a kid. My criticism was always directed at those who criticized the previous staff for every move they made, no matter wha they did nor who they recruited. Unlike yourself, I have consistently supported the program, I didn’t quit on them in 2018... have a great night.

Jeff Coffman 4 months ago

I'm actually disappointed with the retention of Bowen...5 years of the most dismal record in KU history, the legacy of Zenger. He may have won the TO battle this year...but the change was Miller. I'm not convinced he has upgraded the defense.

Dirk Medema 4 months ago

You apparently weren't listening to the players comment on how Bowen changed up the defensive scheme in the last year plus. I think you are right about Miller being a good coach, but Bowen was the leader and engineered the turn around.

Jeff Coffman 4 months ago

I was indifferent about Hull because Miles probably has deeper roots in Louisiana than Hull, but the RBs did do well, although I'll be surprised if Pooka ever plays another down at KU.

Brian Wilson 4 months ago

Why? He's not turning pro after being a Freshman! In May of 2018 Bleacher Report wrote an article about this very thing stating " With limited exceptions, 19-year-old kids would not be capable of undertaking the physical demands of the NFL without suffering a catastrophic injury." Because of this, the NFL policy is to not pursue athletes that are 19 years of age or younger.

So, this isn't basketball and Pooka at his size and strength is not ready for the NFL. He certainly has the speed and vision but playing against NFL players is much much much different. I can't remember the last time a Freshman went to the NFL and was successful.

What about transferring? Why would he go to another school? If he went to some place like Alabama or Oklahoma he would have to compete all over again. At KU. Pooka is the face of the program! He already has the starting job and it's up to some other RB to prove himself better. Moving forward the program only gets better under HCLM with better recruits, bigger crowds, more wins, more exposure. At this point, as things are, Pooka is "The Man on Campus" and is going to get his shot at the next level when it comes time.

Mike Hart 4 months ago

Jeff, I can understand some of your frustration with Bowen... but Miller was a LB coach... and Bowen has always been DB’s coach for his specialty. DB’s were picking off all the passes this year. But don’t get me wrong.. I was very happy to see Miller back in 2018! I’m really looking forward to 2019 with the pedigree of coaches we have in place. The fan base is hopeful again... and ticket sales will be up with a renewed sense of hope and optimism for the future...

Joseph Bullock 4 months ago

Great move to keep Hull and Bowen. I’m not surprised Miles would want Bowen, given his dedication and love for the program, but I’m a bit surprised someone who was so close to being the head coach, would now take a lesser position! However, to learn under Miles and the strong staff he is assembling, that site will benefit Bowen. Question: What is the full time position that still needs to be filled? Thanks!

Dirk Medema 4 months ago

QB? Or does that go with the OC?

TE?

There are a variety of ways the last assistant is used on various teams.

Stephen Johnson 4 months ago

Love and trust HC Miles decision to keep Hull and Bowen. Great people and great coaches

Chris DeWeese 4 months ago

I had a feeling Miles would keep Hull. No surprise there. I can't say I'm thrilled about keeping Bowen, but I have to give credit where credit is due. Bowen so clearly bleeds crimson and blue that he was willing to take a demotion to stay in Lawrence and help turn the KU football program around. At least that's the way I see this. I don't think it's lack of ambition as he could probably get on as a DC in a smaller school, but rather, it's his undying devotion to KU that is impressive. Clearly, he's not a P5 DC, but a position coach? Sure, why not?

Jack Hoff 4 months ago

I still can't understand how someone can say with such confidence that Bowen is clearly not a P5 DC. How does that make sense? He has coached P5 football for over 20 years including for bowl eligible teams. Football is about having talent plain and simple. KU had a vastly better defense than Oklahoma this year yet Oklahoma has a vastly better record. This Bowen hate needs to stop. So disrespectful to man who works his ass off and is very good at his job.

[''] 4 months ago

Benton -- since we heard about the contracts of the new coaches, how about an explanation of the contracts of Hull and Bowen. Have they changed? Is Bowen being paid a DC's salary ($500k) as a Safeties coach? Hull still at $400k?