Monday, December 17, 2018

Class of 2019 RB Cole Mueller decommits from KU football

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

A spot just opened up in the Kansas football program’s relatively small 2019 recruiting class.

Cole Mueller, the prospect who had been tied to KU the longest, unattached himself Monday night, less than 48 hours away from the beginning of college football’s early signing period.

A two-star running back from Wentzville, Mo., Mueller, who made his nonbinding verbal commitment to the Jayhawks back in late July, announced his change of heart through a tweet.

“After talking with coaches and my parents,” Mueller wrote on Twitter, “I have decided that KU is not a good fit and I’m decommitting and reopening my recruiting.”

Originally recruited to KU by former head coach David Beaty and members of his staff, Mueller visited the program and new coach Les Miles only a few weeks back. During that visit, the high school running back could be seen sitting next to Miles during KU’s basketball game against Stanford.

After that visit, Mueller told Jon Kirby of Jayhawk Slant he intended to stick with his commitment and make it official during this month’s early signing period.

At some point during the past two weeks, those plans changed.

With Mueller’s decommitment, KU’s current list of recruits for 2019 dropped to five. All who remain committed made their pledges this month, after Miles took over the program: defensive back Jayden Russell, athlete Mason Fairchild, quarterback Thomas MacVittie and receivers Andrew Parchment and Ezra Naylor.

Russell and Fairchild are in-state high school prospects, while MacVittie, Parchment and Naylor are all junior college prospects with two years of eligibility remaining.

Miles stated previously he expects to have room for somewhere around 15 players in his first recruiting class.

While recruits can choose to sign this week, from Wednesday through Friday, they also can wait until National Signing Day, on Feb. 6.

None by Cole mueller

Comments

Dane Pratt 7 months ago

Apparently he was unimpressed by our meager 6 point win over Stanford. Way to go Bill.

Joe Ross 7 months ago

I wonder if Miles talked him out of coming here.

1. He wasn't Miles' recruit.

2. "After talking to COACHES and my parents...". (Which coaches?)

3. Miles should be pulling 3- and 4-star talent anyhow.

4. We have Pooka.

5. Frees up a schollie for linemen and other needs.

Bee Bee 7 months ago

He might end up working at Jack in the Box with K Hunt.

Tim Orel 7 months ago

Just hope they aren't on the other side of the drive through window from lineman Dion Rayford from KU who tried to climb through the window after the clerk at Taco Bell left the chalupa out of his order nearly 20 years ago.

Brett McCabe 7 months ago

Best wishes to this young man. I hope he finds a great fit at another school.

Ray Winger 7 months ago

Cole, remember, it is about your getting the best education. Do the best for your future. Best Wishes!

Henry Joseph Hofmeister 7 months ago

take a scholly and use it. don't waste free education. doesn't have to be here. best of luck.

Jeff Coffman 7 months ago

I think this is interesting...KU might not want to focus on 2 star athletes under HCLM. It could me the system isnt as solid for this guy. I would have loved him as a Jayhawk, but I'm glad he made his decision prior to the season. My guess they wanted to talk preferred walk on status.

Joe Ross 7 months ago

Get that kid and convert him to a Will Linebacker!

PERFECT!!!

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 7 months ago

Wow. Didn't see this coming. He's been the one recruit that stayed committed through the coaching transition. Hopefully it will work out for the best for both parties. Good luck young man.

Jack Hoff 7 months ago

If I were to take a guess Miles probably reduced that scholarship offer to a preferred walk on status. Didn't work out I guess. Understandably Miles would want his recruits for his system. Hopefully he finds a good fit.

Dane Pratt 7 months ago

Interesting comments from Adam Rittenberg of ESPN regarding Les Miles as the new coach

Grade: D+

I've gone back and forth on this hire more than any other. At first, I didn't like it. Then, I started to see the excitement Miles brings to a Kansas program that desperately needs some buzz. But I still struggle to get past the schematic stubbornness on offense that doomed Miles at LSU, a program with every resource that Kansas lacks. This job is all about player development and creativity, and while Miles certainly has the energy to boost KU, I just don't know about the fit at this stage in his career, especially with the program being so far down for a decade. Perhaps The Mad Hatter still has some magic left, but don't bet on it.

He gave K-State an A- and Tech a B.

clint moran 7 months ago

Grading a coaching hire before his first season is about as useful as draft grades given to NFL teams 1 day after the draft. The existence of these things is nothing short of mind-boggling. What's worse? Folks get paid to do it!

Jack Hoff 7 months ago

Not sure what qualifies Adam Rittenberg to even grade coaching hires. Furthermore the whole idea that Miles was fizzling out at LSU is way overblown. He won 8 games in his last full season, so if his offense was that bad and he managed to win 8 games then he must be a hell of a ball coach. Way too many people expect to get a Nick Saban and end up screwing up their program when they already had a good thing going...ie. Nebraska. Les Miles will be just fine.

Dane Pratt 7 months ago

Les has the article tucked away in his desk like Mark Walhberg did with that note from his ex in Invincible. Takes it out every now and then and reads it for inspiration.