Saturday, December 1, 2018

Les Miles makes halftime appearance at Allen Fieldhouse

Newly-hired Kansas football coach Les Miles shakes hands with a fan as he is introduced to the Allen Fieldhouse crowd during halftime of the Jayhawks’ game against Stanford.

Before the fans inside of Allen Fieldhouse had much to cheer about during the Kansas basketball team’s Saturday matchup with Stanford, the athletic department got the 16,300 in attendance on their feet by trotting out KU’s new football coach.

At halftime of what proved to be a 90-84 overtime thriller and a victory for the Jayhawks, Les Miles strolled slowly out to half court wielding a microphone.

The man now responsible for trying to turn around the long-struggling KU football program took a quick bow in response to the fans’ standing ovation and cheers before the Baby Jay mascot presented Miles — known for, among other things during his time at LSU, for occasionally picking up pieces of grass from the football field and nibbling on them — with a slab of sod.

“Kansas wheat grass,” Miles said after having a taste.

photo

Newly-hired Kansas football coach Les Miles gives a "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" to the Allen Fieldhouse crowd as he is introduced during halftime of the Jayhawks’ game against Stanford.

During the brief public appearance in which he gave away some free Adidas Yeezy sneakers to two students from the crowd, Miles began his address by referencing the KU football team’s players, a handful of which were introduced earlier in the game and acknowledged for their postseason honors.

“I want to first mention that those men on my team — on our team — that came out here and you celebrated, they’re a wonderful group of men to work with. I’m very fortunate to do so,” Miles said. “I can tell you that we’re going to work hard. We’re a talented team. We’re going to have a coaching staff that can score, stop ’em and play special teams.”

As of Saturday, no hires for Miles’ first staff had been announced.

“We’re going to win and win consistently,” the KU football coach told the crowd, drawing another loud ovation.

Comments

Jeff Coffman 1 week, 3 days ago

I"m really excited to see the staff he builds. This championship week seems to have slowed the hiring of assistants (at least I hope). I still think he will have a solid OC.

Eric Eakins 1 week, 2 days ago

His Tv interview was great as well during the second half. As a side note, I'm wondering how Texas is feeling about the B12 refs this morning after playing a team yesterday that I'm sure the powers that be knew the playoff and B12 relevance were at stake. Game seemed a little one sided on the penalty, and more importantly on the non calls.

Michael Maris 1 week, 2 days ago

Now, let's go to Mark Mangino (our game time analyst) to review the referee performances thus far in the game.

Jeff Coffman 1 week, 2 days ago

The million dollar lost. Because KU lost, we had two teams get the into BCS bowl games and we still had one. The BCS had a guarantee of ~$15MM in a revenue sharing conference. KU received an additional $1MM for that loss, about the difference for the game that UT would have gone to.

Most of us would still rather have the win, but at least in this case there was compensation.

Dane Pratt 1 week, 2 days ago

The decision to create a title game paid off, at least for this season. OU gets in the playoff by virtue of beating UT, otherwise Ohio State would have gotten the fourth spot. IMO Georgia is a better team and might be the only team in the field who could beat Alabama.

Jeff Coffman 1 week, 2 days ago

They played, they lost. We need teams, I would say Notre Dame was likely the team that didn't deserve to get in compared to Ohio State.

Brent Shipley 1 week, 1 day ago

Have to agree. Georgia has their shot and couldnt do it. Lets give someone else a try instead of having the rematch of that game in a couple weeks.

Also I wish the NCAA would force ND to move into a conference. Seems kinda nice to be able to pick a choose who you play every week. They played a total of three ranked teams all year. Sure some big names on their schedule but those teams are not top dogs right now or even ranked (USC, Stanford, FL ST).

Joe Black 1 week, 2 days ago

I watched the game and didn't see any officiating bias at all. Just the usual poor officiating by Big 12 officials. Sounds like you are just not an OU fan or you are a Texas fan because anyone watching the game with a neutral opinion didn't see any bias at all.

Eric Eakins 1 week, 2 days ago

You can call me bias or any host of other names but don't call me a "texas fan", that is downright ugly, lol. I had no dog in the fight, just my opinion. If you want an example, Texas had no wiggle room on pass interference but felt a couple of obvious ones, especially on a late critical drive, by OU their flags were stuck in their pockets. I really didn't care other than as a Jayhawk, I can relate. OU is probably going to embarrass the conference against Alabama with their lack of D. There is really only two teams in the country who can probably beat bama and bama just beat one of them.

Brent Shipley 1 week, 1 day ago

Yes they have a lack of D, but then again out of the four remaining teams they might have the best O. Could be interesting to see or could be a blow out.

I just hope they dont get blown out because I am tired of only hearing about the SEC.

Brett McCabe 1 week, 2 days ago

Big game by Lawrence native Amani Bledsoe. And Beaty finds a way to lose another Big 12 game.

Recruits were in town this weekend. Here’s hoping we get some commitments to get the ball rolling.

Brent Shipley 1 week, 1 day ago

Live in the past much? Beaty is gone and we have a great coach in place but yet you cant get him out of your mouth huh?

Steven Haag 1 week, 2 days ago

I saw several “kids/young men” setting alongside Miles and figured they were recruits. I’m surprised there has been no story about who they are, where they are from, how many stars, who they are considering, etc. When can we expect to hear something