Thursday, August 16, 2018

Tom Keegan: And the winner is … indecision

Kansas football head coach David Beaty speaks during NCAA college football Big 12 media days in Frisco, Texas, Monday, July 16, 2018. (AP Photo/Cooper Neill)

The fourth-and-1 decision arrived Thursday for David Beaty in the form of his final press conference until the week of the season opener against Nicholls State.

This was going to be the moment that Beaty, who seemingly has built his deepest, most experienced, most exciting roster, showed he has grown into his challenging job as head coach of the Kansas football program.

This signature moment was going to be remembered as the point that Beaty showed his confidence and, in turn, his decisiveness had blossomed.

I was confident he was going to be ready to let the world know he had picked a quarterback, was excited about him and was really looking forward to seeing the entire team follow him all the way into the Sept. 1, 6 p.m. kickoff at David Booth Memorial Stadium.

I expected him to say something along the lines of, “Miles Kendrick left us with no choice but to name him the starting quarterback. We’re going to run the football, y’all, because, I mean, Khalil Herbert, Pooka Williams and Dom Williams, they will make ... you ... miss. Miles is going to lead this team and he just might lead this team in rushing. We’re older, stronger up front. We are going to run the football, and we don’t care who knows it.”

That sound bite plays on the radio over and over and a line forms at the ticket window. Well, maybe not a line, but maybe enough activity to keep the ticket department employees from falling asleep. The sound bite plays in the locker room and the players form a line behind their quarterback, hurry to the practice field and play with heightened passion.

Instead, it was, “Coach, would you like Coke or Pepsi?”

Crickets. Sigh. A scratch of the head. Finally, “Go ahead and put the food order in. I just need a little more time to think about it.”

The fourth-and-1 moment arrived and he punted. Again.

Beaty said at the start of fall camp that there were advantages to naming a starter earlier than in past years, but also said he wouldn’t do it just for the sake of doing it. He wasn’t ready to do it Thursday, which is too bad, because it felt like one of those moments where making the wrong decision just might have been better than making no decision.

Naming Kendrick would have generated the most excitement with the fan base because he hasn’t lost a game, thrown an interception or been blindsided with a particularly painful sack in a Kansas uniform. He’s fresh, and fresh always inspires hope.

Making the fans happy is no way to pick a quarterback, of course, but naming one now and explaining the decision would give the team time to rally around its leader, the more time the better.

Had Beaty made up his mind on a QB, he could have used Thursday’s forum to sell the choice — be it Kendrick, Carter Stanley or Peyton Bender — with statements such as:

"Y'all know Peyton can sling it, but you can't sling it when you're flat on your back. Y'all are going to see what Peyton can do when he has time because our offensive line is going to give him time this year."

Or: "A lot of y'all probably had Carter running third heading into this competition, but he's a born leader and he showed that every day of camp, and this team is ready to run through walls for him because they know he'll do the same for them. We're going to run the football and y'all are going to see just how good a runner Carter is. And he can sling it, too."

Beaty said one QB has the edge in his mind, but the coach wants to see one more scrimmage. Well, what happens if the QB with the edge has a lousy scrimmage? Is the competition then back to where it was at the beginning of fall camp?

Comments

Joe Black 1 year, 2 months ago

There are two full weeks before the opener and I'm much more interested in whether the team shows improvement than I am whether the coach named his starting quarterback on a date that you deem appropriate. How is waiting one more day going to hurt the team? The only one hurt about it seems to be Tom Keegan.

Mike Bennett 1 year, 2 months ago

Joe, you're being dumb. Beaty sucks. He can't coach and can't lead. There is no energy with this team or program. He's dead man walking and just playing out the string. Everyday he waits to make a decision is another wasted day in the development of the team. The team won't get better w/o a leader and, as much as I hate to say it, the QB is always the leader. He just keeps the program going in a directionless circle.

Aaron Paisley 1 year, 2 months ago

I've gotten after Keegan on here and called him out when I believed he was unjustly criticizing Beaty. This isn't one of those times. This is a legitimate gripe to have because it's symbolic of why Beaty has failed at KU.

David Beaty has not been able to make up his mind about anything while head coach. Changing the roles of his assistants every offseason and not deciding on a starting QB until the first game are the two biggest examples of Beaty's indecisiveness hurting KU.

Changing the roles of his assistants means players are spending time learning the new coach's way of doing things instead of reps. Not naming a starting QB in a timely manner is keeping whoever that person would be from getting valuable reps with the first team to build that chemistry that is needed to be successful. They're getting fewer reps which hurts chemistry and because there's no clear defining of roles, players o sew constantly looking over their shoulder to see if they're about to be replaced if they screw up.

Len Shaffer 1 year, 2 months ago

Have trouble handling the truth much, Joe?

Gerry Butler 1 year, 2 months ago

I'll answer that for him Len -- YEP , this just makes me sick. - This BS for the 3rd straight year - hell how the hell is he gonna make a critical decision late in the game if he is incapable of making a decision on who the starting QB is gonna be until kickoff?- -YEP ol Joe he has hard times in accepting the truth. I used to be one of the biggest Beaty supporters - -reading bashers on here very dam day against Coach - but man how can you defend someone when he gives you NOTHING? - -I feel like we are being sent into war to try and defend him with a used # 2 pencil and a single sheet of wide line BIG CHIEF note book paper. - -I just can't do it anymore

Len Shaffer 1 year, 2 months ago

And BTW, Joe, your point might be well taken if Beaty hasn't shown a consistent pattern of indecisiveness from practically his first moment as the head coach.

Given that history, this is a continuing part of a disturbing trend, and Tom nailed it perfectly, with one exception: I don't agree that it's better to name the wrong QB than to name no one. I just think that he needs to make a freakin' decision.

Kevin Robert Fest 1 year, 2 months ago

The circle is going in circles. New coach can't get here fast enough. GEEEZUS.

Chris DeWeese 1 year, 2 months ago

I couldn't agree more with Tom's assessment. Beaty is not inspiring confidence, at all. I don't know how one more scrimmage will tell him who should be the starter. He's had months and years to evaluate, develop, and decide. If none of the candidates stand out, just pick one and game plan to their strengths (whatever they are). You can't try to shoehorn a kid into your vision if they don't have the skills. After three years, you'd think he'd know that.

Eric Eakins 1 year, 2 months ago

Not sure I agree with everything Tom wrote but I do agree with the overall frustration that is generated, not by indecision alone, but by this approach of trying to hide indecision and fear of being wrong behind some feigned strategy that for this one position out of all the positions on the team it is good to have undecided competition up until game time and for this one position it is strategic for our opponents not to know who to prepare for. If this was once in awhile (you see that with other teams) ok, but this is every year.

People generally are understanding with trial and error and making adjustments or changes. They are generally not understanding with indecision, stubbornness, and fake reasons. It feels like we are entering the fourth year of the latter. Maybe I'm wrong and will be pleasantly surprised. Maybe I will grow another 6 inches and get an NBA contract this year too.

John Strayer 1 year, 2 months ago

The "element of surprise" is a useful tool...for experienced and talented teams. It give them that little extra advantage. But for KU...its an excuse for unwillingness to stick your neck out on a decision. KU in years past has been soooo bad, opponents didn't have to prepare for any particular players because the whole program is predictable and bland.

Brad Sherp 1 year, 2 months ago

In Beaty's own words, "you are only as good as your last".

I wonder which one of these laughable moments will be his last.

Has Beaty named a starting Quarterback once since arriving? When we look back at Beaty's tenure, I wonder if what will stand out more. His losing record, or 4 years of a single, never ending QB controversy.

He clearly cannot evaluate QBs, or coach them. You may think that his QB's horrible/inconsistent numbers are proof enough, but watching them leave and then have more success elsewhere is the most telling sign.

Owens Smithson 1 year, 2 months ago

So this is what happens when, in Beaty's fourth season, the OL has to determine the QB. How backwards is that? A patchwork, new OL at that. This also stunts everyone else's growth on offense, as the starter has less time to gel with the WR's as well.

Its a perfect storm of comedic error after comedic error. A true, "worst decision possible" scenario, with literally zero upside to doing it this way.

Steven Haag 1 year, 2 months ago

Hey, let’s get mad at Beaty for not naming a starting quarback back in December. Shoot, Meacham is the quarterbacks coach and he isn’t decided. Fire him too. Hull hasn’t brought in any recruits for next year, fire him too. The new AD hasn’t fired Beaty yet, much to the dismay of ALL these brilliant fans, fire him too. The chancellor hasn’t fired the AD who hasn’t fired coach, fire him too. Shoot, fire EVERYBODY that gets a paycheck from KU. Fire em all. Even after that, I bet all of the “brilliant” poster will STILL find something to whine about 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Jeff Coffman 1 year, 2 months ago

Or let's just pay Beaty $125,000 a game to lose another game. Remember he has had incentive laden contracts and yet to earn one incentive....but you are right...let's give Beaty another three years so he can decide on his next QB battle.

Kevin Robert Fest 1 year, 2 months ago

I can't tell if this is Steve or if Bryson has taken over Steve's account. Another reply that is completely ludicrous.

Len Shaffer 1 year, 2 months ago

If the Captain of the Titanic had lived, Steven/Bryson would no doubt say that people were whining to ask for the Captain to be held to account ...

Jay Scott 1 year, 2 months ago

Great coaches avoid telling opponents what's coming. Real sports writers praise this.

Keegs and the kooks somehow think it's a bad idea....wow.

Who's really incompetent? At 3-33 Beaty is still a better coach than Keegs is a writer.

Jeff Coffman 1 year, 2 months ago

Great coaches focus on executing the strengths of their personnel. Belicheck is known for identifying a mismatch and exploiting it. In game adjustments to make the disadvantages to advantages. I would say deception historically is only good for a play or two, not for a game.

Jay Scott 1 year, 2 months ago

Really? You think that not allowing your opponent to game plan for a specific style of QB or offense is an advantage for ONE PLAY?

You couldn't have done more to demonstrate your lack of understanding.

Kevin Robert Fest 1 year, 2 months ago

He tried the same tactic last year Jay. How well did it work then? So some how it's going to completely confuse Nich St? Or any other team?

Mike Bennett 1 year, 2 months ago

Jay, you're not very smart. In 3 years he hasn't changed the game plan. Naming the QB isn't going to change one darn thing about the game plan. It may change the execution of the plan, but not the plan itself. Further, if he changes the game plan, it would still be a surprise since it is the first game of the year. My guess is tailback into the back of the guard for 1, WR screen for 1, incomplete pass and punt.

Kevin Robert Fest 1 year, 2 months ago

Good call Mike, that sounds about right for the first series. Lol. Wouldn't it be iconic if after taking all of this time to name a qb the first play is a run call. Lol. Well it doesn't matter lm sure that what you said will almost inevitably happen. Or close to it. Sadly.

Jay Scott 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm not very smart? You're making comical assumptions, infantile projections and most of all, my point....

Thanks Mikey...

Dennis Strick 1 year, 2 months ago

I can't believe I am agreeing with Jay Scott on something, but yes he is totally right on this one. We should be fine now with Meacham and Beaty waiting til game day to name our starting QB. Let's look confused and uncertain if that means Nichols State has to scheme for two weeks dividing their time between defending the RPO and defending the Air Meacham offense.

Jay Scott 1 year, 2 months ago

Any rational person gets that...

Agreeing with Jay is ALWAYS a sign of intellect and sanity.

Jay Scott 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes Kevin, you may agree also if you choose...

Jeff Coffman 1 year, 2 months ago

You are correct we need that advantage to beat Nicholls State, I forgot that the holding off on naming a starting QB for the past 3 years under Beaty was so successful. I always struggled to see why Baker Mayfield was named so early last year, it put OU so behind the 8 ball, I can't believe they won any games.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 2 months ago

I've never seen a record of 3-33 combined with the phrase "great coach."

Chris DeWeese 1 year, 2 months ago

Anybody who defends a 3-33 coach demonstrates a lack of understanding.

Jeff Coffman 1 year, 2 months ago

As I mentioned before, I hope Vollmar evaluates the football program quicker than Beaty evaluates QBs.

Jeff Coffman 1 year, 2 months ago

if we need to hide our starting QB as a deception or comparative advantage to beat Nicholls state, isn't that a strong indicator that it is already time to get rid of the coach.

Jerry Walker 1 year, 2 months ago

Good gawd. If Beaty is afraid that Nichols State can come up with a game plan to beat us he's more than an indecisive coward...heaven help us!

Dennis Strick 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes, but isn't a win still a win? Isn't that ultimately what we are after no matter who gets it for us? We all know how this book ends, but I would like to see a couple of exciting chapters along the way.

Kevin Robert Fest 1 year, 2 months ago

I still can't figure this out. If our qbs are just that bad that DB honestly can't decide which is the better option. If Stanley, who has been with the program the longest or Bender who played at Wash St and then Juco along with his starts last year can't distinguish themselves by now then its bench time for both. If Kendrick who after one year at Juco is not getting it done then maybe he shouldn't have been recruited in the first place. Either way you have 3 guys who are not up to par right now. TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE START OF THE SEASON. This is against our Swiss cheese defenders if they can't beat the defense in practice what is OK or TCU going to do? Hello last year and another wasted season.

Barry Weiss 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm just not feeling too excited about seeing much progress. Nothing is pointing in that direction. I would have thought the new O-line additions would have helped at least point in the direction of one of our QB's. So now I am worried about that as much as our HC. That first game should tell us a lot.

Al Martin 1 year, 2 months ago

The O-line is in fact the correct thing to be worrying about. They've been lousy for a decade (okay, they produced a pretty good running game one year under Weiss), and while I'll admit more talent seems to have been brought in, they're all new.

The particular QB is irrelevant if he's under constant defensive pressure.

Andy Godwin 1 year, 2 months ago

Did I miss something? Has the depth charts been shared for all of the positions? Who are the starting offensive lineman, running back, punter, place kicker, defensive lineman, linebackers, etc.? Yes the QB has the ball in his hands the most, but the most improvement needs to be made on the offensive and defensive lines to make this team competitive. If and when the depth charts are posted and if the QB position is not listed, then complain. As far as I can tell they have not made public who will start at the other 23 positions (includes the 2 special team positions).

Marcus Balzer 1 year, 2 months ago

Maybe he is waiting to make the grand announcement tonight at the KU Kickoff at Prairie Village. (FYI...that was a joke)

I'm not concerned who starts the bigger question will be who will be the finisher at the end of the year. The only thing consistent with Beaty has been the rotation of QBs so no need to pull your hair out when he hasn't announced a starter.

Jim Stauffer 1 year, 2 months ago

My complaint about indecision is this. You make a decision on the info you have which is practice. We have seen guys in the past perform poorly in practice and then shine in the games. Go ahead and select the guy who is performing to your satisfaction in practice, but don't hesitate to replace him if he fails in games. With these three guys we need to find one who can lead this bunch. Start with anyone you choose and move to the next and then to the next. It is not like we have 3 Tom Brady's to decide among. And we should not be critical of the staff if they need to alter their starting line up based on game time performance. Just get a roster set up 2 deep and then make changes as called for as the season goes along.

Raymond Wright 1 year, 2 months ago

If Beaty feels the need to try to trick Nicholls State in order to get a win........

Steven Haag 1 year, 2 months ago

You all are hilarious. I read the Keegs “bashing” article six times. Funny, but I can’t find one place where Beaty is using trickery and deception to “hide” the starting quarterback to “gain an advantage” on Nichols State. Somebody dreamed it up, mentioned it, and now it’s spreading faster than the wildfires in California. Maybe, just maybe there has been no clear separation. Is that cause for concern...yes it is. I can agree with that. I’m logical and realistic. But I find it truly disturbing at the amount of hate I read on these articles. Truly sad

Eric Eakins 1 year, 2 months ago

Having a discussion about strategies and success/failures is not hate. Being upset with how someone handles a situation and expressing that is not hate. I don't hate coach at all. In fact, in previous posts have wished him success and I do today wish him success. Irregardless of his success/failure I hope he has a great life and wonderful impact on others as I'm sure he has had to this point. This is a forum for fans to discuss where we are at with the football program. As for myself, I suggest this is bad strategy because of his past history, like last year giving similar comments then not naming a starter until the morning of the first game (which I believe the two QB's backed up in an interview later). Yes, he might pick one this week and roll with it but his history suggest otherwise and his words ring hollow after we watch the action taken after they are spoken.

Bryson Stricker 1 year, 2 months ago

I myself am pretty frustrated that we don't know who QB1 is because I truly think QB1 has one option that could potentially make this a fun season that could save Beaty's job. Another option that may make the non-con fun and another option (who i dont think is even in the race anymore) that would make us 1-11, 2-10 at best. But I don't think it's Beaty's job to tell US who the QB is.

I take what I've seen from these pressers and what's being reported and I definitely believe he has a QB named internally and is probably waiting for saturday's scrimmage to confirm his take on QB1.

I will state one thing though. There are a ton of schools and even schools competing for a national championship this year that don't have a publicly named starter. If Beaty was 33-3 instead of 3-33, we'd be saying he's a genius for making the starter have to work for it and allowing the other guys to push him. That's all.

MilesKendrick

Aaron Paisley 1 year, 2 months ago

Name a national title contender where people don't already know who the starting QB is?

Kevin Robert Fest 1 year, 2 months ago

What does it say that if it is Kendrick, a qb with one Juco season under his belt can beat out our last 2 starting qbs running our system in just a short amount of time.

Jacob Zutterman 1 year, 2 months ago

It says he was a better fit with this offense and gives our team a better chance than the other two...

Ryan Ferree 1 year, 2 months ago

Here we go, o/u is 2 on how many quarterbacks get to play in game 1.... What a load of BS.

Kevin Robert Fest 1 year, 2 months ago

The only reason moire than 1 qb plays against NSt is that we are blowing them out by halftime and its a good idea to get other qbs some reps. If the game is close or we are losing late and we need to try and use someone else, then we are in big trouble.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 2 months ago

I change my prediction...I'm thinking Stanley is the guy.

Bryson Stricker 1 year, 2 months ago

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL..

dont let scott troll you into that decision LMFAO.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 2 months ago

Well, I'm not the one choosing the QB, I'm just guessing. And I think they're all good guys and can be successful if the OL shapes up.

Jeff Coffman 1 year, 2 months ago

I hope that Beaty in his next presser has a wheel of probability with equal portions with each QB identified. He spins it and whoever it lands on he selects as the starting QB.

Joe Ross 1 year, 2 months ago

Tom is RIGHT, y'all.

No "ifs", "ands", or "buts" about it.

Jay Scott 1 year, 2 months ago

Joe Ross? The same Joe Ross that rabidly insisted that Perry Ellis has the same skill set and NBA potential as Harrison Barnes? That Joe Ross? You may excuse yourself from the discussion. It's not for someone that clueless.

Joe Ross 1 year, 2 months ago

Lol! I laugh at you, Jay. A lot.

Lucky for you I don't decide more often to put you in a corner. I do allow myself the joy of knowing that I've burned you so bad in past conversations that it left its mark and keeps you disgruntled. LOVE that!

Trolls like you deserve it.

...and I'm still laughing at you! LOL

Dane Pratt 1 year, 2 months ago

Ohhh, so that’s what this is about. As a relative newcomer to KUSports it was clear some sort of feud existed between Jay and Joe but I did not know it was an argument based on Perry Ellis. As childish as it seems I confess to some modest degree of curiosity regarding the source of this bad blood. Now that I know, carry on. I expect the following comment to be, but he started it.

Joe Ross 1 year, 2 months ago

Jay Scott has bad blood with nearly every one. This is not about Perry Ellis, and it's certainly not about who started what. This is about a troll and you can view it for yourself by viewing my comment history and his, and noting how we disagree with people. After you do that, it will dawn on you quickly that lumping me in with the likes of Jay Scott is a bit premature. I spend precious little time worrying about anything he says, and 95% of the time I don't comment back. But I allow myself the rare occasion to check this charlatan and put him in his place.

Dane Pratt 1 year, 2 months ago

Not keeping score or taking sides. And there is nothing wrong with mixing it up with fellow Jayhawks once in a while but since this is a KU site, it's a bit of an embarrassment for outsiders see how childish we can be.

Joe Ross 1 year, 2 months ago

You're preaching to the choir. Again, I ignore him the vast majority of the time, which is actually the adult thing to do, and so I exclude myself from that "we" (...in "how childish we can be"). Nevertheless few people I know walk on water, and so if you yank a dog's chain enough times you might get bitten. So yeah, I clap back on rare occasion. But certainly I refrain enough of the time to not be circumscribed within a circle which includes someone who trolls others for negative reactions. Read these comments. It'll come to you...

Kevin Robert Fest 1 year, 2 months ago

Here is why naming a qb is important. Different qbs throw diffent balls, Each qb delivers from a different arm angle, each qb gribs the ball differently, each qb delivers the pass at a different speed based on arm strength. Each one of these factors effects how the ball is delivered to the receiver. Getting used to each one of these helps the receiver catch the ball. Each qb has a different cadence/voice inflection at the line, this helps the o line get used to one voice at the line. Each receiver runs a different way, each runs the same route a little different, so one qb can get used to these small differences at practice. Having many qbs dividing practice no is having any continuity, it's always different, rep after rep, because the qbs are always rotating.

Steven Haag 1 year, 2 months ago

Kevin, we all get that. I actually agree with you on something. It’s really one of two things: 1. Beaty and Meachum are 90% sure who it is, but want this last scrimmage. If they are 90% sure, I’m betting that qb gets more than 33% of the reps this upcoming scrimmage. 2. Maybe all 3 qb’s are neck and neck. If that’s true, we are in big trouble. Maybe they really haven’t separated themselves yet. If that’s true, we are in big trouble.

Let’s all take a deep breath and see what Beaty has to say Monday. If he still waffles on a qb, then the ranting can be more warranted. Bryce is correct in this, Beaty does not OWE us a name. He is under no obligation to satisfy the hungry fan base. No matter who he picks, there will be grumbles out there criticizing who he picked.

Joe Ross 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree with almost everything in this comment except one.

"Beaty is under no obligation to satisfy the hungry fan base."

With ALL respect, the f@%$ he isn't! All this courting of fans by the University of late has everything to do with the fact that they realize fan support has dwindled and they need them to come back. Holding them at arms length and the value that comes from that (which may be real, but seems of very little use at this point given the season is days away) needs to be weighed against the deferred hope of fans who have had hope deferred for far too long. If you want fans to get excited about a program, show them that the program has a direction. If you want the fans to have faith in your coaching, show them that your mind is resolute. You're two weeks away from the season opener and you're hem-hawing about who's going to take snaps under center???

For REAL?

That's a real boost of confidence.

Beaty refuses to allow any joy in Mudville.

Jay Scott 1 year, 2 months ago

Joe. Saying less would be a good idea for you. Truly, it would.

Steven Haag 1 year, 2 months ago

Joe, if he truly hasn’t decided, then he just supposed to lie and give up a name all in the sport of feeding the crowd? I can patiently wait until he AND Meachum feel comfortable with who is going to take snaps under center. In my opinion, it’s between Bender and Kendrick.

Joe Ross 1 year, 2 months ago

Respectfully, now. And I mean that...

If he hasn't decided, then sure; he shouldn't give up a false name. The error here, however is with the antecedent: he hasn't decided.

Beaty has enough information on Stanley and Bender already. He's evaluated them last year. He took notes about them during their recruitment here. He had reports. Then he got to see each of them start and play. He has a body of work to go on. He saw them last spring. This fall, it doesn't take a lot of reps to get the skinny on either of those guys.

The only question mark is Kendrick. But he's seen his work in isolation at San Mateo. Miles Kendrick was on campus last spring. Miles Kendrick practices with the football team. If he's clearly worse than the other two guys, this isn't a discussion, so that can't be an option. Then you have to remember, he gets to see Kendrick perform RIGHT NEXT TO THE OTHER TWO GUYS, using the same unit of offense around them. How hard is it to evaluate his performance when he sees him against two other quarterbacks who are already well known to you? I have a HUUUGE problem believing that it's even possible to have 3 different guys--THREE, mind you--who are all competing at a level of separation so small as we've been led to believe it is. How can THREE of them be that close? To me that's nonsensical.

David Beaty has had information on these guys long enough to project how they might perform. Unfortunately, Beaty has shown that he and his staff have been incapable of developing QBs who were pretty highly touted coming in. So while I'm not at all for just naming a QB for the sake of naming one, I can't abide for one second the idea that Beaty can't name a starter. At this point with the season bearing down on us, that's a sign of ineptitude. He's a head coach at a D1 school in the Power 5 and he can't name a starter 2 weeks prior to the season. That's NOT an issue of separation. That's an issue of coaching.

Steven Haag 1 year, 2 months ago

Joe, I agree with parts. Let’s get one thing out of the way. K-State used several qb’s last year. I work with several rabid K-State fans and they are “nervous” that no starter has been named......so it’s not like Beaty is on an island by himself. Secondly, this is Meachum’s first year as qb coach. If Beaty has assistants, he needs their input as well, or there is no need for assistants. Finally, IF we are abandoning the air raid (God I hope we are), then a new offense means looking at Bender and Stanley differently than last year.

Bender can’t run, but I believe he is the most accurate passer. Stanley can run, but his passing was terrible. So if Kendrick can also run and be an outside the pocket passer, then he beats out Stanley. I would loved to have Beaty name a starter a month ago, but it hasn’t happened. I will save my praise or criticism until about 30 minutes after the game on Sep 1

Lawrence McGlinn 1 year, 2 months ago

Keegan's point is that Beaty's tenure has been marked by indecision. That is part of his incompetence and lack of leadership. And let's not compare ourselves to anyone else. K-State won 8 games last year. They could probably switch qbs every series and be better than us. Beaty still may not make it to Sept 1.

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 2 months ago

I’m wondering if anyone here knows which QB is getting the most reps in practice? If there is one who is getting a lot more reps, then the team pretty much knows who their Leader is! There are a lot of different pieces to the puzzle this season, so making sure everyone clicks together, as an offensive unit, could possibly be reason enough to wait, and be sure, which QB to pick. I’m not claiming to know it all, and could be wrong in my assessment, but I hope I’m not. I will also say the hate in this forum is unbelievable (including Tom, on a regular basis)! I also believe this team is going to pleasantly surprise a lot of people, and if that happens (of course they have to prove it on the field), I will be curious to read the posts at that time! By the way, I have talked to quite a few of the players, and every one, to a person, told me things are so much different, in a very Positive way, with people having more experience under their belts, and knowing each other, better. So we shall see!

W Keith Swinehart II 1 year, 2 months ago

Keegan, let Long be the AD; you be sportswriter. Beaty has every right to tell you the QB when he's ready.

Joe Ross 1 year, 2 months ago

With respect Keith, sportswriters are supposed to write about sports. And have opinions. What else are they supposed to do? I share Keegan's viewpoint here. I don't always agree with him. I don't always disagree. That's how life goes. But he's not wrong for expressing an opinion about a reality concerning the football team.

I don't get it, bro.

Joe Ross 1 year, 2 months ago

The indecision around a starter can stem from one of two things: either a true competition exists where the QBs are close, or an inability to evaluate talent. I think the argument Tom and others would make--and it's certainly the way I feel, too--is that Alabama or other teams of their caliber aren't suffering from poor appraisal of their personnel; while on the other hand Kansas does NOT truly have a narrow separation of 3 guys on its hands and is still struggling to decide which of them is best. Kansas has shown both the inability to evaluate QBs and the inability to be able to decide on one and develop him. Cozart, Willis, and Stanley all in a single season, for example.

Imagine the odds of 2 guys on a roster being nearly indistinguishable in performance, and then being joined by a third that could be anywhere on the spectrum but just so happens to fall where the other two already are. Triplets! I mean, the ODDS! Many people are seeing this as a coaching liability, and I believe their viewpoint is justifiable.

Furthermore, the poor state of Kansas football lies in stark contrast to the teams you just mentioned. Naming a starter has its advantages at the bottom. Not only can players rally around a guy and mentally put together a team identity around his leadership, but very importantly rather than splitting the reps evenly in thirds, a chosen QB would get the lion's share of the reps which would certainly help the starter. A program struggling like Kansas can use every advantage it can get, while the Alabamas and Clemsons (and even a lot of average teams) of college football have luxuries that Kansas does not.

Dane Pratt 1 year, 2 months ago

And this is what I like most about KUSports. The commentary is just as valuable if not more so than the articles. I don’t disagree with any of the above, all solid points but in the final analysis I don’t believe this will be a factor. If this season ends in the way most of us are expecting, it will have little if any to do with his inability to choose a starting QB in a timeframe that pleases the fan base. That said, Beaty is deserving of most of the criticism that has been heaped upon him but I can’t get behind this one.

Joe Ross 1 year, 2 months ago

Fair enough. No harm in agreeing to disagree.

Brad Watson 1 year, 2 months ago

Tom...I am still waiting for the Gene Chizik article....he is a perfect fit here.

Brad Watson 1 year, 2 months ago

I have always liked Coach Beaty.....but its about results and MATERIAL!!!