Wednesday, August 1, 2018

4-star New Orleans QB Lance LeGendre decommits from KU

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

The already minuscule 2019 Kansas football recruiting class lost its biggest and likely most talented prospect Wednesday morning.

The first player to give his nonbinding verbal pledge to the Jayhawks back in late February, four-star New Orleans quarterback Lance LeGendre announced on Twitter he is no longer tied to KU.

“First off I want to thank the University of Kansas (for) recruiting me, recognizing my talents and giving me an opportunity to play at the next level,” the dual-threat QB from Warren Easton High wrote in a note attached to a tweet. “This process is unsteady, so therefore I would like to de-commit. This decision is not easy, but I have to do what’s best for me.”

According to LeGendre’s declaration, he wanted to keep his recruitment open heading into his final prep season in order to reach the “best decision” possible.

“I will keep Kansas under consideration,” LeGendre added.

A 6-foot-3, 206-pound high school senior, Rivals ranks LeGendre, recruited by KU associate head coach Tony Hull, as the seventh-best dual-threat QB in the country.

The newly uncommitted prospect reportedly has offers from Alabama, Florida State, Oklahoma State and several other programs.

Shortly after tweeting out his updated plans, LeGendre followed it up by sharing news of new offers from Tulane and Tennessee.

With the departure of LeGendre, KU’s 2019 recruiting class shrank from three to two.

Currently three-star Wichita tight end Clay Cundiff and two-star Missouri running back Cole Mueller are the only players who have said they plan to sign with KU.

Eight of the other 10 teams in the Big 12 have 12 or more commitments in place. Kansas State has six.

Comments

Chris DeWeese 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Can't say that I blame you, Lance. Good luck to you.

Marcus Balzer 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Uncertainty within the program and staff...of course he is going to de-commit.

John Fitzgerald 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Not a good start for Beaty on Long's first day but I think we all eventually expected this. Don't think it'll hurt Beaty but definitely won't help him.

Craig Carson 2 months, 3 weeks ago

this is more Beaty than Long..I honestly think Beaty himself doesnt think he will be KU's coach by the end of the season..Im sure incoming recruits know this as well..there just isnt any real buzz about this KU FB program..hasnt been in years

Jason Venable 2 months, 3 weeks ago

What;'s shocking is that KU actually had a 4 star commit to begin with. He finally came to his senses.

Craig Carson 2 months, 3 weeks ago

hopefully KU can one day get to a point where we arent shocked when a 4* kid commits to KU and stays..KU deserves these type of kids as anyone else..but I think He and the entire KU fan base expects Beaty to be gone sometime during the year

[''] 2 months, 3 weeks ago

So - consider this.... He's being recruited by Fritz at Tulane. Fire Beaty. Hire Fritz. Lance re-commits to KU. Easy Peasy.

Jacob Zutterman 2 months, 3 weeks ago

He's also getting recruited by Alabama. Hire Saban, he recommits to KU. Easy Peasy

Aaron Paisley 2 months, 3 weeks ago

He had the Alabama and Florida St. offers before he committed to KU back in February.

Jeff Coffman 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't think it is wise to announce you are switching your offense when your 4 star incoming QB has a non-binding commitment.

Jacob Zutterman 2 months, 3 weeks ago

We aren't really switching the offense, just "running" more out of the same schemes (or so we're told). He's a dual threat anyways so it's not like he's not used to running RPO's and zone read/spread option plays

Glen Miller 2 months, 3 weeks ago

You can paint the picture however you want...... the fact of the matter is that players don't have a clue what committing to us means right now, because next year the coaching staff, philosophy, and everything else could change. So I highly doubt commitments will be coming in at a very high clip right now. I hope that Beaty turns it around this year, because I really do feel like he is a good representative of our school and I genuinely believe he wants to turn this thing around here........ but it's got the looks of a lame duck season and getting good players to commit in a season like that is just not very feasible.

Phaedrus Cj 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Looks like Urban Meyer might be available

Steven Haag 2 months, 3 weeks ago

We will get NOBODY after Beaty is gone.......if he is gone. There is not ONE big name that will come here. We will be hard pressed to get a mid-major coach here. PLEASE stop drinking the kook aid. Any mid major coach has to fight the negative posts that hurt recruiting. Secondly, they will be judged against the 12-1 season where the Big XII north was WEAK (and we couldn’t even win it), played nobody from the south AND had 4 non-conference games. Their heads would be on the blocks after year 2 by some of your standards. If and that’s a BIG if, we do get a mid major coach, and they are successful, they are GONE as soon as a better football school comes calling.

Jayson Hawk 2 months, 2 weeks ago

We have NOBODY anyway. 4 years later the scholarship numbers are practically the same and we have a total of two commitments. Im past the point of anger and despair now its just laughable.

Sam Allen 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Hope a 3-0 start to Will change his mind

Dee Shaw 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Shocking. I can’t believe he de committed from KU. A four star power forward not coming to a power house like KU. What a poor decision by this young man. Oh wait I’m sorry I misread the article. A four star quarterback has de committed from the KU football program that makes more sense. Wise decision young man.

Chris Condren 2 months, 2 weeks ago

The program will have to dig out the old fashioned way, with a highly organized coach following a plan down to the smallest detail. There are no short cuts or quick fixes that will work. Bringing in a major national high school player in for a camp and blowing smoke to get him squeeze an early commitment is not going to build offensive and defensive lines that allow skill players to excel. Look at how Glen Mason and Mark Mangino built their programs. They knew how to build a winning team.

Jayson Hawk 2 months, 2 weeks ago

We didn't have much going for us to begin with but now we have ZERO things going for us.