Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Beaty: ‘I don’t believe in moral victories’

Kansas quarterback Peyton Bender (7) rolls out to pass as he is pressured by West Virginia safety Derrek Pitts (1) during the fourth quarter on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017 at Memorial Stadium.

Entering a bye week, Kansas football coach David Beaty said he saw some improvements during his team’s 56-34 home loss to West Virginia last weekend.

The Jayhawks nearly fought back from a 25-point deficit in the second quarter and had plenty of success on offense through sophomore running back Khalil Herbert.

But following KU’s third straight defeat, Beaty wasn’t going to spend much time emphasizing only the positives.

“I don’t believe in moral victories; I believe in winning and losing,” Beaty said. “We don’t give out medals for losing around here. We don’t do any of that stuff. The focus is on trying to win the next day so we can create the byproduct that we want.”

In each loss this season, the Jayhawks (1-3, 0-1 in Big 12) have fallen into a similar theme of a slow start. That will be one of the several areas that Beaty wants to address throughout the bye week, along with turnovers and costly penalties.

Kansas has committed nine turnovers this season, which is fewer than only 11 teams across the nation.

“Getting off to a good start is going to be critical for us as we move forward,” Beaty said Monday. “It’s something that has plagued us this year already. We simply can’t do that. I don’t know many teams that can, honestly.”

One of the most encouraging parts of the loss to West Virginia (3-1, 1-0) was KU’s play in the third quarter. The Jayhawks forced three punts and a turnover, while outscoring the Mountaineers, 14-0.

“I told our guys I thought we controlled the third quarter of that game,” Beaty said, “and I felt like we also controlled the fourth quarter, just in a different way by doing some things that allowed them some easy points.”

West Virginia quarterback Will Grier added: “They came out in the third quarter, played really hard and beat us on some stuff. We beat ourselves on a couple things. They played hard and they made some good plays.”

Despite some of the similarities during KU’s three losses, Beaty said the coaching staff evaluates each game differently.

“From our standpoint, we look at each day and each game separately,” Beaty said. “The byproduct is going to be winning. As I go back and look at that game, I look at the things that put us in a hole and I look at how we responded to that adversity.”

Comments

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 8 months ago

If Stanley is healthy I'd like to see him get a shot. He can do some things that Bender can't, like escape the pocket and make a play. Also, Bender has missed a lot of throws lately, and some easy ones at that.

Dillon Davis 1 year, 7 months ago

Beaty blocked me on Twitter because I tweeted at him on Saturday saying "We Want Stanley" lol.

On the year, Bender has 7 TDs and 7 INTs...and has taken 9 sacks. Not all are his fault obviously but some definitely are. And he has a 57% completion percentage. Like what do we have to lose by putting Stanley in there? He can at least make plays on his feet and surely he can do better than Bender in the turnovers category. Would love nothing more than to see him start coming off the bye week.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 7 months ago

Ha! He blocked you for that? He must be hearing it a lot then. I like the guy, but my goodness he can be stubborn. It's that Texas in him.

Doug Cramer 1 year, 8 months ago

Winning is a byproduct of perfecting simple tasks and details that allows your players to reach their full potential.

I would encourage Coach Beaty to focus on the four P's instead of focusing so much on winning.

Plan, prepare, practice, and perform.

Keep sawin wood

Dennis Strick 1 year, 7 months ago

Thank you Anthony Robbins... I am sure your thoughts will motivate the coaches to victory AND Losing is a sickness like syphilis or gonorrhea

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 7 months ago

Other than the uniforms, I didn't take any kind of victories from this game. I'm tired of losing!!!

Waylon Cook 1 year, 7 months ago

Kinda wondering if he believes in victories in the win column either...

Doug Fogleman 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't believe in kicking field goals to make the score look closer.

Layne Pierce 1 year, 7 months ago

the only good thing that came out of the West Virginia game is we need to keep riunning the ball at least half the time. It's the only way to help our pathetic defense. For a team that really does not have that much depth on defense, we need to balance the defensive/offensive time as much as is possible. Not saying don't score points, just saying, make the clock work for us also. I have already noticed that our kicking game is quite a bit better. Improve the clock management, keep pounding the ball, half the time, give the defense a little more rest and who knows, we might start to look like a division one team.

Barry Weiss 1 year, 7 months ago

"and I felt like we also controlled the fourth quarter...." oh really, WV outscored us 21-7 in the fourth quarter alone. Last time I checked, that was called.....SCOREBOARD!

Lloyd Kinnison 1 year, 7 months ago

Coach B You promised us a Bowl game this year. Winning games is a prequesite for extra games after the season has been completed. It appears a different approach is necessary for this promise. Let them play-----take chances --- go for it. There is nothing to lose😝