Central Michigan defeats Kansas, 45-27

• 3 p.m., Sept. 9, 2017
  • Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS

Saturday, September 9, 2017

We just sputtered’: Jayhawks dropped by Central Michigan, 45-27

Central Michigan running back Devon Spalding (13) runs past KU defenders for a touchdown in the second-half of CMU’s win over KU Saturday, Sept. 9 at Memorial Stadium.

College football seasons almost never follow the idyllic scripts a program’s coaches, players and fans map out when they look at a schedule, as Central Michigan reminded Kansas Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

The fumes of past KU failures wafted in the air as an announced crowd of 28,531 saw the Jayhawks fail to build any momentum off a season-opening victory that included not only celebrating an Orange Bowl past, but also teases of an effective offense.

The Peyton Bender of Week 1 did not make an encore performance in a 45-27 loss to the Chippewas, though. Following KU’s second game of what currently looks like another long season for the ever-struggling Big 12 program, there were no touchdown passes to be found in KU’s box score. Seven days after throwing four TDs and a pair of interceptions versus Southeast Missouri State, Bender’s effectiveness and numbers regressed, and the junior transfer only completed 32 of 62 passes for 323 yards, with two interceptions in KU’s Air Raid offense.

“We just sputtered. We weren’t consistent,” Bender said after the loss, in which KU trailed 24-6 in the second quarter. “It was disappointing. I thought we were prepared but we just didn’t execute for some reason.”

Hampered in part by the unavailability of injured receiver Steven Sims Jr. (ankle) and inconsistent blocking up front, Bender’s play declined as KU took a step up in competition.

After KU fell to 1-1, head coach David Beaty said the inconsistency of the passing attack troubled him most.

“I thought we made a couple of really, really rough throws early in the game there that went into turnovers,” Beaty said of second-quarter picks by CMU’s Tyjuan Swain and Josh Cox. “We’ve got to take care of the ball. We can’t be throwing the ball to the other team. We had one that went right down the middle of the field and we’ve just got to be smarter than that.”

Better decisions, Beaty added, have to be made by Bender, who often looked shaky on his attempts, especially in the first half, when both of KU’s turnovers set up Shane Morris-led scoring drives for the underdogs from the Mid-American Conference.

“He’s a really good player and he’s a smart guy,” Beaty said of Bender. “He made a mistake there and he’ll learn from it. We just can’t put it in jeopardy like that.”

Bender, of course, agreed with his coach’s assessment.

“I’ve got to play better. Turned the ball over twice, which you can’t do. That first interception was terrible. I can’t do that. You’ve just got to eat it,” Bender said. “I got pressured off the left edge and sometimes you’ve just got to throw it in the dirt.”

In another particularly frustrating and foreshadowing sequence for the Jayhawks, the home team had second-and-goal at the CMU 1-yard line late in the first quarter and came away with only a 3-0 lead off a 23-yard Gabriel Rui field goal to show for it.

Junior running back Deron Thompson, who started the game with Taylor Martin out due to injury and Dom Williams a bit banged up, as well, ran the ball to the 1-yard line on first-and-goal before Bender thew a ball nowhere near Chase Harrell on second down, right tackle Antione Frazier committed a false start and another Bender-to-Harrell attempt in the back of the end zone failed.

“We always talk about not beating ourselves, especially when we get down in the red zone on the 1-yard line,” Thompson said after rushing for 48 yards on 10 carries. “A lot of things we can’t do that kind of messes up the momentum of the flow of the offense. … There’s a big difference between the one and five as far as play-calling. That affected us. We have to overcome things that happen like that. We have to be able to overcome that, because bad things are going to happen. People are going to mess up. We’ve just got to make up for it.”

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

David Beaty discusses KU's 45-27 loss to Central Michigan

After a 45-27 home loss to Central Michigan on Saturday, Kansas football coach David Beaty talked about what went wrong defensively, offensive struggles and which lessons the team needs to learn.

Download podcast

KU, Beaty said, should have scored a TD in that situation, but that was only the beginning of KU’s problems.

Seven of the following 10 Central Michigan possessions ended with scores — six with touchdowns — as Morris completed 28 of 37 passes for 467 yards and five touchdowns on the day.

The overwhelming problem?

“Everything,” junior linebacker Joe Dineen said after making 12 total tackles and 2.5 tackles for loss. “Linebackers weren’t getting in their coverages, lack of pass rush, DBs, just the defense as a whole.”

As a result, CMU (2-0) receivers ran wild and free along the invitingly spacious turf and both Mark Chapman and Corey Willis caught eight balls apiece, while combining for 308 receiving yards and four TDs (three for Chapman).

The KU defense surrendered 590 yards of total offense, CMU averaged 8.2 yards per play and not once did Morris suffer a sack.

“I just feel like we were a step late on a lot of the QB hits and sacks,” junior defensive end Dorance Armstrong Jr. said, after making seven total tackles and 1.5 for loss.

Even a near-perfect start to the third quarter couldn’t revive the Jayhawks, who deferred and started the second half with possession. In just four plays — two successful Thompson carries, a 22-yard Bender pass to Jeremiah Booker and a receiver reverse which Ryan Schadler took 33 yards to the end zone — KU cut an 18-point halftime deficit to 11, in all of a minute and six seconds.

The defense, with an Armstrong rush stop and a couple plays from Dineen, even followed that up with a three-and-out, setting the table for another Kansas scoring drive.

When freshman running back Dom Williams (18 carries, 64 yards) scored his first of two touchdowns, the CMU lead shrank to 24-20.

However, Morris was back dealing from that point on. The senior graduate transfer QB from Michigan said the four-point margin provided a sense of urgency.

“Yeah, we make it a point to beat the teams we should beat,” Morris said. “We thought Kansas was a team we should beat and them being a Power 5 team was something we circled a little more.”

Said junior captain and defensive tackle Daniel Wise of Morris’ success: “He was throwing some quick passes. He knew that he couldn’t sit back there and hold it for too long, and then when we did get in his face he was a good quarterback and he got it off with guys hanging on him.”

In such a loss, everyone involved was to blame.

“There were some times when I thought we had a little momentum going and we just couldn’t sustain it,” Beaty said. “We’ve got to be able to be better collectively, and we certainly didn’t play great collectively tonight. When the offense needed the defense we weren’t really there and when the defense needed the offense we really just weren’t there today. We’ve got to get better in that area.

"There’s a lot of things we have to do to get better and we understand that. We’ll come back ready to go tomorrow. That’s one thing I do know. I believe in our staff. I believe in our kids. I believe in our team. And much like them, I think we’ve got a chance to get a lot better between now and next week. We have no choice. There’s a game coming up next week against a really good opponent (Ohio, 1-1) and we’re going to their place. So we’ll have them ready to go.”

All the good vibes associated with a win over SEMO were nowhere to be found by the end of what Dineen considered “a little bit” of a surprising setback.

“I thought we had a decent week of practice. I thought we prepared well and for that to happen it was really disappointing,” Dineen said. “But it’s over now. We’ve just got to flush it, move on. I have 100 percent confidence in the offense. They’ll get it rolling. And 100 percent confidence in (defensive coordinator Clint) Bowen. He’ll get us in the right place next week.”

— See what people were saying about the game during KUsports.com's live coverage.

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Central Michigan

Comments

Doug Cramer 1 week, 3 days ago

Time for Bowen to go.

I know the Lawrence folk don't want to hear it, but it's time.

Gerry Butler 1 week, 3 days ago

I think the ENTIRE defensive staff needs to take some real heat for this display. We heard from various individuals how one thing we should look for is our defensive line being able to pressure - where was that? - -W all knew our defensive backfield was going to be a possible weakness but dam if you give a QB 5-6 seconds to pick a receiver, something smells. - Our D_Line has not got hardly ANYTHING these 1st two weeks and they were suppose to be a strength. ight now if a player wants to establish career stats - -Play KU , If this guy throws for the yardage he did, can you imagine what Rudolph or Mayfield is going to do., Our defense better get their heads pulled out really quick or it's going to get really ugly - Bowen and Boys better get this fixed - no excuse for that kind of effort

Brett McCabe 1 week, 2 days ago

Doug, the most important thing for this program is to be in a position to hire Craig Bohl to take over at the end of the season. Frankly, everything we do moving forward needs to be to strengthen the image of the program, being careful not to look as though we are panicking.

Our defense looked awful yesterday but we need to avoid worrying too much about this season, to be blunt. We need all of our focus to be on attracting a competent, proven program-builder to Lawrence. Whatever helps make that happen, then that is what we need to do.

Bryce Landon 1 week, 2 days ago

The problem with that is, we just gave Beaty a contract extension, and that's going to be expensive to buy out. Besides, why would any coach worth their salt want to come here if we keep firing coaches after only two or three seasons?

We're stuck with David Beaty for the forseeable future.

John Gorski 1 week, 3 days ago

Bender, you didn't sputter, you held up a KU tradition of disappointing play. Once you get into Big 12 play you look back at this game as a positive point of the season.

David Kemp 1 week, 3 days ago

I agree his season can only go downhill from here.

Gerry Butler 1 week, 3 days ago

It's like what I thought when Bender came in and Coach about wet all over himself about him, Bender is an interception looking for a place to happen, has no mobility like his feet are stuck in concrete, like was posted in another story - if the 2 QB'S are so close in competition then we need Carter to get his chance at least he can extend plays or hell even Starks which AGAIN according to Beaty when he came was his model of the type of QB Beaty was looking for, let's not waste 3/4 of the season before we decide to switch QB'S this year. - -Not impressed at all with Bender, wasn't impressed with his commitment not impressed with his play to this point. A lot of questionable throws, could of been a lot more int's There is a reason he transferrred

Larry Jackson 1 week, 2 days ago

Bender is so slow his 40's are timed with a calendar. You are absolutely correct, Carter, or even Starks need to get in now before Beaty repeats last season's bullheaded QB mistake. Bender needs to leave today for Miami just like Heaps did.

Randy Bombardier 1 week, 3 days ago

Very disappointing. Can't decide which was worse, a defense that looked hungover or an offense that looked hungover.

Joe Ross 1 week, 3 days ago

"Bender's debut worth feeling good about"

" there was a faction of KU fans who, get this, simply were not impressed. (against SEMO)"

"This is an Air Raid quarterback through and through"

"Somebody is going into the Hall of Fame." "I thought it was Bender."

"Peyton Bender looked like a capable quarterback and I think he's gonna get better as the season goes on."

"He can put a productive offense on the field."

"The offense just looked so much better than it has." (against SEMO)

"Bender's play declined"

"Better decisions have to be made by Bender"

"I've got to play better"

Look. Kansas fans have been here before. We got hyped after Rhode Island last year. We had to wait near the end of the season however to experience hope for the future. We've done this song and dance before. Judging from their predictions ahead of the Central Michigan game which I assume rested largely on optimism from Peyton Bender, I imagine the journalists are surprised at Saturday's outcome. But this time fans knew better. Skepticism is not pessimism. We've learned to believe it when we see it. The game against SEMO didn't offer the evidence to suggest Bender was going to be the next Todd Reesing, despite the number of times the latter's name was invoked in comparison by the journalists. No capitulation to the fans who expressed caution will be forthcoming, though I am beginning to tire of the number of times fans get chastised for not being more optimistic. Ive been a KU fan going back to the 70s, and Ive watched football every year. It's unimaginably hard to be optimistic about KU football, especially since Mangino's exit. And yet we fans get whipped by you guys seemingly every year or every other year for doing no more than learning the lesson of history. Wait and SEE! We certainly WANT KU to do well. We dont rejoice at "I told you so's". Having something to actually cheer about is FAR superior. But for the love of Christ can we please stop drubbing fans who have witnessed some of the worst football in the modern era for not jumping up and down over one game won far less impressively than they could have against the likes of a team like SEMO???

Thank you.

Brad Richardson 1 week, 3 days ago

Thank you Joe, well put. I'm sixty two and have been following the Hawks since the late 60's. What is sad is that I don't get as angry at these things as I did in the past. I'm just numb now.

Gerry Butler 1 week, 3 days ago

Right Brad , I just turned 63 so were right there together. You and I have been through a lot of down times with this program, we have been treated to a few good years, remembering when John Riggins was here, Touchdown Tony was here, Bruce Adams, and such David Jaynes, But now, this is sad, the question is, did we hit below bottom with this program, I like what Joe said very skyptical this crap is beyond old, I'm so tired of Coaches hyping transfer QB's as the next coming.. - -I thought Carter should start as the # 1 QB and still believe that,Bender has showed me nothing. he already has FOUR - -again FOUR INT'S willing to open a poll how many he ends up with 15-16 quite possible, so many of his passes so questionable, our Defensive line is providing nothing no pressure, hell you give a below average QB a 4-5 sec time frame to find a receiver, just think what an above average QB will do. - -It's time our Defensive staff take accountability, our defense flat sucks, we knew our defensive backfield was suppose or probably going to be a weakness, but hell even Harris and Talib wouldn't be able to cover receivers for that length of time, we have tons of work to do - Coaches, - -Announcers - - -People with Crimson & Blue blinders need to quit trying to come up with feeble excuses time to wake up and call it like it is -and what it is right now is sad - -really sad, I don't think there is many that can really quite figure out just how down we really were - -how bad Charlie, left this program - -how Turner didn't help, time for no more excuses, it's time to show - - or go

Tom Gillaspie 1 week, 3 days ago

Couldn't agree more. You make several good points about the state of the football program. So, with the likelihood of another one or two win season, I have a question - couldn't this be done for a lot less money? I'm sure there are plenty of coaches that would be willing to work for much less. And let's face the fact, it would be harder to do much worse.

Al Martin 1 week, 3 days ago

Totally with you, Joe. I'm not sure that this is relevant to your point, but I am at this moment watching Montell Cozart being very productive (two perfect strike long bombs!) against Washington State, who, um, isn't CMU. QB isn't the main problem here is I guess my point. Or maybe I don't have a point. Maybe I'm just observing the sweet irony being drizzled on top of the "I'm a KU football fan" crap sandwich.

Al Martin 1 week, 3 days ago

I can't stay up any later, but I have to admit that Montell totally "Cozarted" that game into overtime. That's what I get for posting before a game is over.

John Gorski 1 week, 2 days ago

Not only is Cozart doing good at Boise State vs Washington State but Washington State is now ranked #22 with the coach who got beat out by Weis.

Bryce Landon 1 week, 3 days ago

It's a good thing I was a groomsman in a wedding today and missed out on this stinker.

This was a must-win game for us. We had to have this to demonstrate that we were making progress from the dumpster fire we've been for most of this decade to something resembling respectability. We are still stuck in dumpster fire mode. I had hoped we could go 4-8 this year, now I don't see how we do better than 2-10.

Ten years ago, we blasted Central Michigan to start off what turned out to be an Orange Bowl-winning season. Three seasons ago, even Charlie Weis was able to lead KU to victory over CMU! Now we not only lost to them, we got our asses handed to us by them.

All the goodwill that David Beaty built by beating Texas at the end of last season just evaporated. He is not making the appropriate rate of progress he should be making in year 3 of his tenure. The time for blaming Turner Gill and Charlie Weis for the state of the program has passed, and it is time Beaty begin taking the blame for not making tangible improvement with this football program. He should not have gotten the extension or raise that Dr. Zenger so foolishly gave him in the afterglow of the Texas game.

Larry Jackson 1 week, 2 days ago

Bryce I could not agree more. I was hoping Beaty could pull off a Briles kind of rebuild similar to Baylor's hey day. Wrong! Beaty talks a good game... Lamar H.S. in Arlington, TX is anxiously awaiting Beaty's return to DFW.

Bryan Mohr 1 week, 3 days ago

This is what happens when you hire a guy that had zero head coaching experience at the college level. I was against the hiring of Beaty, but what do I know. I don't have a PhD and an expensive consulting group to assist me. I just have a pair of eyes and common sense. Dr. Zenger fired Charlie Weis for "lack of on-field progress". If that standard is kept, Beaty is a gone'r. I'm fine with having Zenger around to lead construction projects and drum-up finances, but if he can't hire a good football coach he also needs to go. Ohio is not a bad football team. Iowa State looks decent. What is Zenger going to do when Beaty finishes his 3rd season at 3-33? It is inexcusable that a Power-5 team, with lots more resources, cannot beat CMU at home. Zenger might as well fire Beaty this week rather than wait to see 9 conference losses and Memorial Stadium even more empty. But, you know what, he shouldn't. Because Zenger doesn't know how to hire a good football coach. I doubt Mangino would come back to KU. But he is available and could probably be convinced if the money was right. There's no way he would be worse than Gill, Weis, or Beaty.

Dennis Mahorney 1 week, 3 days ago

The hardest part is to hear the comments from teams we used to dominate.... "Yeah, we make it a point to beat the teams we should beat,” Morris said. “We thought Kansas was a team we should beat and them being a Power 5 team was something we circled a little more.”..... We don't get respect because even coaches tell their teams that we are an easy mark.... Wow....we have fallen so far. Teams that struggle with Rhode Island, see us as harmless.

Steve Johnson 1 week, 3 days ago

Well, its great to see nothing has changed. Bad football is what Kansas does. The program is so damaged that they cant get quality players to come. Its clear that Lou destroyed the program for some reason, The program is a total embarrassment to the school and the Big 12. Bring on Basketball and the greatest Coach in the nation, it makes all of our problems go away and restores respect for the University.

Gerry Butler 1 week, 3 days ago

No more excuses, time for accountability, the administration - staff want better facilities for the players, want to upgrade for recruitment? -- Give the Donors a reason to invest. - We can't put any better product on the filed then this? - -But yet you want to upgrade invest millions for improvements - how about this let us see improvement on the field, then Alum's - investors might be a little more willing to spend money. like Steve said right now this program is an embarrassment - it is beyond embarrassing, I know this if this league dissolves We could be in trouble, as football as we know is the money maker in revenue, we have a true power in basketball might get us into the BiG but dam we have got to do something - anything time to have some pride just pathetic

Brett McCabe 1 week, 2 days ago

It's an interesting time at the university. A new chancellor, the possible announcement of a $300 million stadium renovation, an AD with an extension, a head coach with a raise, an associate head coach promoted based on the recruitment of three kids who have already de-committed (more will follow as the season progresses), a football team likely on it's way to 1-11, no fans in the stands and realignment just around the corner. Oh yeah, an a hall of fame basketball coach who has said he is going into the most important recruiting window of his career.

To me, the answer to our football problems is a question: given everything outlined above, how do you hire Craig Bohl? If it means keeping Zenger and letting him hire his third coach, then fine. I don't care. I'll take the inevitable criticisms from media pundits as long as we get the right guy. And he is, without question, the right guy. Ant this is, without question, the right time.

Bohl is a program builder. He's a proven leader, a proven winner and we need him running this program the day after Wyoming finishes it's last regular-season game. So, whatever it takes to get him to Lawrence, then that is what needs to happen. No excuses, no rationalizations, no nothing. Just get it done or show Zenger the door.

Lucas Town 1 week, 2 days ago

I have seen Craig Bohl's name mentioned quite a bit. He will land in Manhattan before Lawrence. I have heard his name as a potential replacement to Snyder on several occasions. The man build NDSU and brought Wyoming back to respectability. No way he takes the worst power 5 job in the country.

Eric Brunner 1 week, 2 days ago

I feel like the only stat line that matters, and will serve as an effective gauge of how this season progresses, is the turnover margin. We can have all the talent (or lack thereof) and solid coaching (or lack thereof) but if we can't protect the ball and keep giving up easy points...we probably won't win another game.

Larry Jackson 1 week, 2 days ago

Eric, I feel your pain. But I feel the stat line that matters most is stupid mental errors caused by lack of focus, and absolutely no discipline. No discipline is inept coaching. I hate to point to Snyder... but his teams have NEVER beat themselves thru dumb mental errors. On the other hand we are penalized excessively. That is 1 aspect of the game we can definitely control.

Humpy Helsel 1 week, 2 days ago

Same song, tenth verse from the "fans." Fire the coach. Fire the AD. Hire this guy. Hire that guy. You cannot keep firing coaches and expect to get high quality players to come. Beaty gets 5 years. If he doesn't, you won't be able to get anyone to coach at Kansas. It takes a long time to build a "respectable" program at Kansas with all of the past mistakes, particularly at a "basketball school." I'd say the program, considering he found it essentially dead, and regardless of the loss yesterday, is really on track to respectability. Not greatness. Respectability. We just have to stay sober, lay off the hype juice, and know it takes a bunch of good players to build a consistent program. We are getting there. But where we are was once again exposed. Honestly, they may have been Central Michigan but that team clearly had better players than we do at this point. They were bigger, older, and they had a damn good quarterback. I think next week will be a great measuring stick on our program's progress against Ohio. We will likely lose as once again, this is a really good mid-major that picks up Ohio State leftovers and has a great coach who has built a rock solid,consistent program. As far as having a coach with "no previous head coaching experience," Lincoln Riley and Bob Stoops before him, and Mike Gundy, aren't doing too bad with their lack of previous head coaching experience. Hangovers suck.

Chris DeWeese 1 week, 2 days ago

How many seniors do we have on the 2 deep? Maybe 5? Most of the players in skill positions are still freshman, redshirt freshman, sophomores, or juco transfers. It's going to take a long time to get this program back to respectability. I agree with a lot of what you're saying.

Brett McCabe 1 week, 2 days ago

So, for you believers, what do you base your faith in? Beaty's history of rebuilding programs? His history of being a successful coordinator? His history of taking over position-coach positions or changing quarterbacks virtually every series?

And I'm not being facetious. Since you think we are all wrong, show me some evidence of why Beaty should be given trust.

The squad is young. No one expected this team to blow out CMU, even though CMU took three overtimes to beat URI in Michigan. In fact, a close loss would have been frustrating but tolerable. However, that mess yesterday was just that. After three years, do you still get to spill a mess onto the field and get a free pass?

This team should be better. In year three, you should be better than you were in year two. Is that fair, or is that too harsh for you?

Bryan Mohr 1 week, 2 days ago

Humpy, you're right in correcting me on having a coach with "no previous head coaching experience". I should have said, "a coach without a proven record as a HC, OC, or DC". Beaty had a little (1 year?) OC experience with Rice (not exactly as prestigious as OU, OSU, or Florida). His most recent gig was as a WR coach with TAMU. His resume is primarily a WR coach. Heck, the Youngstown State Penguins made a better hire than KU (Bo Pelini). The Ohio team we play next week hired a more proven coach than KU (Frank Solich). How does KU fail to hire guys like Pelini and Solich? Are the Youngstown State and Ohio coaching positions more lucrative than KU? What?

Steve Corder 1 week, 2 days ago

Finally, someone who isn't on the ledge.

Not bad, Humpy. The five year comment is a legitimate perspective to debate.

Bob Bailey 1 week, 2 days ago

Gave the team credit for Bender's apparent improvement after SEMO. Can't see it from Ohio, and maybe he did learn what the earlier coaches couldn't teach. Lead the receiver. Don't miss the target more than 6 in. Throw it where the receiver wants to catch it. And it is damned easy if you run the right QB-receiver drills.

The problem is and has been NO DEFENSE!

Bowen is a great Jayhawk, but he has never understood Defense.

Defense STARTS with Tackling! Along about 1940-41, the HS coach outlined the details of tackling. (age 90, and Schaake got it right in front of a non-athletic 120 lb freshman.) Most of you won't listen, but it has been put in here before. Nobody on our team can tackle; They push our defensive backs another 5 -6 yds once they get to the tackler. Been that way about 6-7 years. If you need help, get the ESPN film on the KC guy who was 'Just Do It; He is one of 3 people who had a ":perfect" body! The only way he could be tackled was by following Schaake's rules! The only "perfect body" destroyed by himself disjointing his hip by trying to pull out of a tackle!

The second Defense element is COVERAGE. Lately their coverage has been somewhat better. But the REAL PHILOSOPHY about coverage goes back to 1932 (me again) is that 'the receiver won't catch it if the ball never gets to him'. The ONLY justification to call Cover Two, is at the end of the half or the end of the game, when the team with possession has to throw a Hail Mary. And the coverage at that point is damn poorly taught.

The third Defensive element is Defensive Plan. What my sight tells me is that OUR Defensive Plan can be outsmarted by an organized fifth grade student!

Our AD doesn't know the difference between good coaching and bad coaching; and he certainly doesn't know the difference of a good plan and a bad one.

Our recruiters seem to be doing well; but once we get them, our coaches don't know how to use them. Some of our position coaches are pretty good; but some need to go.

No chance for 3 years! We have been outsmarted by our AD and the Chancelor..

By the way, OK beat OSU last night 31-16. OK played very good Defense. Given our AD the score could be 150 to 6, this year, unless they kind of call it off around 70!

Clark Groseth 1 week, 2 days ago

I have this thing about fat people, as a consequence I didn't care much for tor Fat Mike...but he was the best coach y'all have had for a while. I am married to a sweet young thing who would probably bleed Duke Blue is she cut her finger. As a consequence, I am forced, forced, I tell you, to attend Duke football games (see yesterday's derriere kicking of Northwestern). What their coach has accomplished is nothing less than miraculous. So, why do I write? Find yourselves a David Cutcliffe...but don't even think about himself. He has found a home. Find your own!

Joe Ross 1 week, 1 day ago

Mike Gottfried may have been slightly overweight, but he was never fat.