Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Keegan

Tom Keegan: Third year not the charm for Kansas football coach David Beaty

Kansas head coach David Beaty watches the action during the fourth quarter on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2017 at Memorial Stadium.

Today is Big 12 Media Day for basketball, so it seems an appropriate time to look back on Big 12 Media Day for football.

Kansas third-year coach David Beaty, fresh off a late season victory vs. Texas and a contract extension that doubled his salary to $1.6 million, bubbled with enthusiasm.

He fully understood that his mood didn’t sync up with a 2-22 record in his first two seasons at the school where he had served on the coaching staffs of Mark Mangino (2008-09) and Turner Gill (2011). So he explained the source of his optimism.

“Our guys have invested so much,” Beaty said. “And they were babies. They were all young'uns. And now they’ve got 24 games of experience under their belt, and that experience is something you just can’t give them. You have to get it.”

Podcast episode

KU Sports Hour

Comparing post-Mangino KU football teams

On this episode of the KU Sports Hour, hosted by KU football beat writer Benton Smith, the KUsports.com staff discusses KU’s 43-0 loss to TCU. Topics include: Ten horrible KU football statistics (open), comparing the teams of the post-Mangino era (starting at 19:25) and the KUsports.com football mailbag — cage ...

Download podcast

Finally, the coach was convinced: His team was Big 12-ready.

“We said long ago that Year 3 should be a year where we start seeing dividends,” Beaty said.

Why?

“Because of the amount of time we’ve had to develop them," he said. "And, obviously, we were a developmental program. We still are.”

And that’s what makes this season the most disappointing in recent memory.

The development is nowhere to be found. The facts point to a regression from last season’s 2-10 mark.

Here in the third year of the rebuild, the offensive line remains a glaring weakness, thanks to a lack of depth that was exposed when red-shirt sophomore center Mesa Ribordy went down with an injury.

Replacing Ribordy with fourth-year junior Jacob Bragg didn't work out in a 45-0 loss at Iowa State, so the Jayhawks shifted to an alignment that had three players make starts at that position for the first time this season. Clyde McCauley started at left tackle, Zach Hannon moved from right tackle to center and Hakeem Adeniji went from left to right tackle.

What followed was an unmitigated disaster in a 43-0 loss at TCU. Three quarters into the game, KU had negative-6 total yards. On one series, Kansas lost yardage on all three plays. Ryan Schadler ran for a 6-yard loss, followed by back-to-back sacks of Peyton Bender. Fourth and 25. Progress: The punt was executed without incident.

KaVontae Turpin returned the next punt 90 yards for a touchdown.

In Big 12 play, opponents have outscored Kansas, 209-53. The score vs. the same four foes in 2016: 158-87.

If you build it, they won't come, unless you give them reason to believe. They won't even pony up to let you build it. The fan base is tired of talk and promises and demands action.

Comments

Chris Bailey 3 weeks, 3 days ago

I donated $25 already! Get his a$$ out of here! He's a joke!

Brett McCabe 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Hate to steal another poster's idea, but it's important that people email Girod today. I did yesterday. He's not a politician, he doesn't get thousands of emails each day, communicating could have an impact.

My only hope is that Girod didn't want to muddy the water on Sunday due to the charity game and didn't want to block out the media coverage on Monday. Today better be the day.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 3 weeks, 3 days ago

I hope no KU fan promotes or helps fund Joe’s gofundme idea. To try to publicly humiliate someone who’s done his very best to make this university a better place is pretty classless. I don’t disagree with the sentiment and I understand the frustration but I’d be embarrassed for our entire school if I actually saw that banner fly over our stadium.

Jim Keen 3 weeks, 3 days ago

I empathize with your sentiment, Karen. But… any humiliation of AD Zenger will not compare to the public (nationwide) humiliation that the University of KANSAS will endure after a 56-0 drubbing Saturday at the hands of our in-state rivals, K-State.

Bryce Landon 3 weeks, 3 days ago

At last check, Joe has raised $535 of the needed $1100, so it would seem that many Kansas fans have funded the project.

David A. Smith 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Absolutely right, Karen. Why in the world would we disgrace someone that has given his life to improving the state of our athletics? The facilities that we have and stand to have thanks to him (Rock chalk Park, volleyball complex, the football facilities that WILL happen) are bigger accomplishments than what have had by previous AD's. And this is the thanks people propose to give? Really?

We all have opinions (and seemingly brilliant ideas), but that is WAY out of line.

Brett McCabe 3 weeks, 3 days ago

KU football is 9-50 with Zenger hires. Beaty, Zenger's second hire, has won three games in 2.5 seasons. That's what I call disgraceful.

I'm on the fence about the banner. I come on here and publicly call out Zenger - I'm not sure that a banner is really any different, and it would probably be far, far more effective. Someone has to get Girod's attention.

John Fitzgerald 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Zenger took the job knowing what the consequences were of failing. Any D1 AD and HC job are going to be subject to public scrutiny. Also, it's one thing to fail, but it's another to embarrass your University. He's done that with two back to back hires in Weis and Beaty. Also, ESPN is outright making fun of us. That's my Alma mater they're making fun of. So yes, I take offense and I will publicly scrutinize him on this forum as I paid for my education at the University of Kansas and I pay for Football season tickets every year. I've earned the right to expect a competent human being to lead our Athletics program.

David A. Smith 3 weeks, 3 days ago

You are heavily invested, and of course outraged by the embarrassment. But, this is a man's life, and his wife and kids don't deserve to be subjected to public humiliation. So, in the spirit of what you have said (love for KU), this is not who we are, my friend.

John Fitzgerald 3 weeks, 3 days ago

I do agree with you on that point and I'm not saying I agree with the banner nor am I willing to donate to it. But at the end of the day this is more my (our) college than it is Zenger's. If I, along with many other KU fans and Alumni, no longer want him here he needs to leave.

Fred Davis 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Sorry, but our football team has humiliated the university for the last decade now, and since The Zeng is the man in charge of that embarrassment - it's time for him to go, and it's been time for him to go. I was embarrassed Saturday night, and the Saturday before that, etc.... Zenger has no clue what he's doing, especially when you consider he was brought in specifically to "FIX" the football program and as the gofundme page so succinctly points out - he's done the complete opposite.

Enough is Enough. Get him out, clean house and literally, start from scratch. I don't want Jim Leavitt, Clint Bowen again or anyone with a middling interest who has no prior winning experience. This program needs help and it needs it now.

David Kelley-Wood 3 weeks, 3 days ago

I draw a distinction between the football team and the football program. To me, the team is the players, and I'm always proud of them and grateful for their hard work and the hits they take while wearing our colors. The program, on the other hand, royally sucks the big green one. The most sickening aspect of the whole rotten thing is that we had a truly great coach who'd poured his heart and soul into building something we could be proud of, and genuinely excited about, and KU spit him out like he was garbage. I still can't quite get over that.

What to do now? I have a few thoughts on the topic, but I feel like "Why waste them?" All I know is that I keep hoping a turnaround is right around the corner, and I keep suckering in that it is.

Brett Fuller 3 weeks, 3 days ago

David if you were proud of Mangino then you did not know him or were not very close to the program. He could coach but he was an embarrassment and this has nothing do with weight. Although that was nothing to be proud of when recruiting. I would rather lose than have a coach with his moral compass.

Len Shaffer 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Hear, hear, Brett!!!

I am so glad that there are at least a FEW of us standing up to all of these Mangino apologists who conveniently ignore the serious anger issues and mental instability displayed by him on a regular basis and keep referring to him as tough when he was not simply tough, he was abusive.

Doug Cramer 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Too much talk about winning, and going to bowl games, etc.

Focus on perfecting tasks, skills, assignments, discipline, and details that you can control in which the by-product on the field is competitiveness or maybe even winning.

Thats how Mangino did it. Thats how it has to be done at this University.

Bring the big guy back.

Kevin Boone 3 weeks, 3 days ago

All this "Bring Mangino back" talk is odd to me. I appreciate what he did for the program on game days, but we seem to forget what he did to the kids behind the scenes. I always go back to the saying "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Why is it that he has not had another D-1 head coaching job since being fired by KU? It's not from lack of trying, it's from lack of integrity. We need a change....again, for sure. This program is an embarrassment.

Lawrence McGlinn 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Total agreement. Being "tough" does not require having an anger issue and making a spectacle of yourself with post-game rants, plus other allegations of off-field behavior. Let's put away the rose-colored glasses from 10 years ago, make a big change and move forward. I understand the frustration and the fact that Mangino had some success here, but I also know he lost the team at the end of 09. Remember at that time KU's football expectations were pretty high. The Big 12 losing streak had as much to do with his firing as anything.

Austin Lopez 3 weeks, 3 days ago

So If Kansas ends up with negative 30 yards this week what would everyone’s response be ? (The people that are against firing Zenger)

Brad Watson 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Mr. Zenger tried....he thought Weis would be the answer....it did not work out....Beaty is a decent coach.....he tried....it has not worked out....the team is a laughing stock nationally....when recruits go to a half filled stadium and almost empty after halftime...well...not the visual you want....its like Bill Self is the best football recruiter the school has.....not good...Zenger and Beaty are good folks...and have done their best...but they have failed in turning the thing around....so ....like any failing business...which college football has become...change needs to be made....maybe someone like Glen Mason as an AD...and then someone like Gene Chizik as head coach...its time for a very tough minded coach and an athletic director that understands our schools' politics and gets it...I know Glen and he loves Lawrence and he might be a good fit.....just an opinion. ...

Len Shaffer 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Now Glen Mason coming back in some capacity, that is something I could get behind, much more than the idiotic “bring back Mangino” tidal wave.

Austin Lopez 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Did anyone catch Montell Cozart 3 TD performance Saturday?

Austin Lopez 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Boise St sure knows how to get the production out of Montell Cozart, didnt catch the game but I read they threw him out there at RB and he scored 2 TDS, not bad at all. To bad Beaty didn’t know how to use Montell Cozart to his advantage.

Barry Weiss 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Beatty in his own words said year 3 would bring dividends. I'm sorry, you cannot hang this whole disaster on an injured center. No team is that dependent on one player. Beatty is lost.

Brett McCabe 3 weeks, 3 days ago

And lets review, I think the vast, vast majority of KU fans would have defined year-three-dividends as three wins and some competitive games. Not a bowl game, like Beaty was talking.

I hate to keep harping on it but this season was lost in Game Two vs. CMU. We were favored, we were at home and it was game two, where some improvement should have been visible. And we got spanked by a .500 MAC team. That was an absolute must-win game.

If Girod is waiting for the outcome of the KSU and Baylor games, then I certainly hope that he is laying the foundation now with back-door communications to AD's and agents. If he wastes two more weeks doing nothing, then he should join Zenger and Beaty as they all walk out the door together.

John Fitzgerald 3 weeks, 3 days ago

I would like to see a presser with Girod and for the media to ask him the difficult questions. As in:

1.) Can you explain to us what Zenger has done to keep his job?

2.) Do you know how much revenue is being lost due to the lack of production from the football team? Who's to blame for that?

3.) How do you plan to make up that revenue if you are incapable of making the right decisions to fix the football program?

4.) Do you have pride in this University? Why did you apply to be the Chancellor?

5.) In a perfect world, who would be your ideal AD?

I questioned Zenger a long time ago and I've settled on that fact that he no longer belongs at this University. Now as the days go by and our program continues to fly backwards down the hill of doom, I'm beginning to question Girod's passion for this University and ability to maximize it's potential, which is what his job is.

Chris Bailey 3 weeks, 3 days ago

It's a complete joke. it still baffles me that Zenger coached on Snyder's staff and he still has NO CLUE how to judge a good coach!

Matthew Gaylor 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Like most presidents, his answer would be

1. He has helped start the the $350m fundraiser, he has helped improve KU's facilities in basketball, football, volleyball, etc. He'd likely also go with "the men's basketball team has done great, the volleyball team is good, etc." even though Zenger didn't hire any of those coaches.

2. He'd state that KU has had record revenues the past several years, and while the performance of the football team is disappointing, KU is rebuilding

3. Same as #2, revenue is fine at KU, whether KU wins or loses. He'd also say something like the football program hasn't been great, but is still improving and rebuilding takes time. Some crap like that

4. He'd be offended that you asked that question, and would say yes, and give you more crap

5. He'd say Zenger is the current AD, and he fully believes in him, blah blah blah

John Brazelton 3 weeks, 3 days ago

It's a good thing that the KU administration doesn't listen to fans and small town newspaper Sports Directors. Changing football coaches every three years is no solution to our problems. It just starts the process over again, like KU has done since the beginnings of it's football program. Our football solution is to establish a long-term coach who can win over time. ADs are hired to manage 200-plus employees, including dozens coaches of different programs, make improvements to athletic facilities, manage a multi-million dollar budget each year, and recruit donor monies for significant projects like the football stadium re-model. Continual screaming for the firing of the AD and football coach by our fans may make you feel good, but most people in the business world will tell you it won't solve the basic problem.

Tim Orel 3 weeks, 3 days ago

So Beaty is who you think will be able to pull KU out of this tailspin? Who you want to establish as the long-term coach? It gets worse daily as more recruits cancel their commitments (there goes the idea of allowing him to put his own team on the field). It gets worse as the team hemorrhages red ink. It gets worse as fans don't buy tickets. It gets worse as the national press points out how awful KU football is.

I dearly wanted him to succeed, but the program is imploding this third year rather than showing any progress, and now, in the middle of the season, it looks like this team, with lots of his recruits, is quitting on him.

Steve Quatrocky 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Everybody just chill out. After Lou's ill timed firing of Mangino wiped out an entire recruiting class, then Gill tried the all Christian team, and finally Weiss' hail mary approach with transfers and Juco players, the program was at less than zero when he took over, everybody knew it. The guy was hired because he had a pipeline into recruiting so give him time to recruit a team, more than three years in this case as it takes more than one or two recruiting classes to not only complete your roster but have any depth comparable to league opponents. Just change the 3 year decision point to a 5 year decision point before you start offing people's heads. Remember one season, Weiss didn't have a kicker! It was really bad, and was caused by turning over coaches, and will continue until we finally have the patience for someone to rebuild. What coach would even want the job at this point? Be honest. Even if you can recruit the best, you get them to campus, they take one look at our 50's era stadium, and they no longer return phone calls or keep commitments to transfer. Let Zenger complete the Fund Raising Drive, modernize the stadium (at least he already got rid of the track), while Beaty has 5 years to recruit our way back up to competitive, probably 7 to be bowl eligible. Nobody wants to hear it, but that IS reality.

John Fitzgerald 3 weeks, 3 days ago

UAB didn’t have a program for two years and their first year back they have 4 wins, 3 of them being over FBS schools.

Lawrence McGlinn 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Just incorrect. Every program turn around that I have heard of took 2-3 years to show some life. 7 years? We got blown out by 2 MAC teams that have inferior athletes to us. We are visibly worse than last year. There is no progress here.

Maurice E. King III 3 weeks, 3 days ago

1. Yes you can change coaches every three years until you can find one who can make progress after three years.
  2. Three years is long enough to draw a conclusion on David Beaty....no improvement in any area is unacceptable.
  3. The offense : "Air Raid" promises exciting , high scoring offense. This offense is boring and ineffective. It is effective at Texas Tech and TCU, so it is the coaching and execution that is lacking.
  4. Beaty and the 2 prior coaches have been unable to recruit or develop a difference maker at QB. I watch our KU quarterback take sack after sack without being able to escape the pocket; run for a 1st down; or improvise a pass. KU needs a dynamic, competitive leader at Qb ; not a 7 on 7 robot who cannot handle pressure.
  5. Good coaches either recruit or put athletes in the positions to run his system or they change the system to match the personnel he can recruit.
  6. How about switching to a run oriented offense like Wisconsin, Iowa, or Kansas State that emphasizes toughness and ball possession. Everything in the program should emphasize toughness, ball possession, ball security, and special teams. DO SOMETHING DIFFERNT BEATY!!!
  7. David Beaty's 2018 recruiting class will fall apart very quickly as our futility grows.
  8. I watched FOX Halftime holding back laughter at what they were watching. Laughter.
  9. My eyes don't see a team that is enjoying playing football. I see no enthusiasm. That is because the players are not getting ANY sign that their hard work is paying off.
  10. Are they working hard enough? How do other teams execute and compete and we can't. The other teams, coaches, and players have 24 hours in a day, 7 days of the week, and 365 days in a year to prepare and they get more done than we do. David Beaty needs to go now!! KU needs to hire a consultant to find a coach. Zenger cannot choose the next coach if he is going to remain Athletic Director. My choice would be Bret Bielma who will be available after Arkansas fires him. He would take the team back to basic football and stabilize the program (means beating middle of the road MAC teams).

Whitney Tangeman 3 weeks, 3 days ago

This guy gets it:

He predicted we go 2-10 before the season started, little did he know we'll more than likely end up 1-11 at the rate we're going. His analysis of KU having an AD problem is spot on.

Chris Browning 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Why is Zenger the AD today? I'd rather drink a bottle if exlax, tied in a straight jacket and locked in a dirty outhouse than support this horrible, horrible AD. As if he's the only AD to address new facilities at any program on Earth...I ain't doing it...

Michael Sillman 3 weeks, 3 days ago

I am absolutely sure that Girod is consulting a lot smarter and more powerful alumni than the average KU football fan like myself. I'll wait patiently for him to make the right decision.

Drew Matthews 3 weeks, 2 days ago

I really wanted Beaty to succeed. He is a tremendously nice guy but his record does not lie. We as a fan base cannot keep coming up with excuses for seasons and performances like this. It is Year 3 and we look worse than any KU team I have seen this century. There is no excuse for continuously having games like the one we had against Tech, TCU and Iowa State. I will support our program through and through but I will not accept and come up with excuses for these kind of performances. Let's get a proven coach in here (at season's end) and give him an incentive to not only take the job but to stay as well. We also cannot worry about getting turned down by any coaches. I hope Beaty can pull off a miracle and get the program on track but if not, make the calls and Rock Chalk!

Long-shots: - Les Miles - Scott Frost - Lane Kiffin

More Realistic: - Willie Fritz - Charlie Strong - Chad Morris -Bryan Harsin

Bottom of the List (Gambles): - Kendal Briles - Randy Shannon - Mangino - Eric Bienemy

Austin Lopez 3 weeks, 2 days ago

@Drew why in the hell would Charlie Strong leave USF for this mess??

Layne Pierce 3 weeks, 2 days ago

You know what, we have got to do something we have not been able to do for a decade, and that is put a bunch of people together, who can evaluate the few assistant coaches, or MAC coaches who would want the job, which will be few, and really choose the right person.

Let's stop the stupid. We are not going to go out and hire God. God would not take a job in hell. We acted like all we needed was a new qb to have a good team, Please, people, we are miles from that. We acceped the idea that a bunch of mediocre players, don't have to be developed or run off.

We are not one coach, or recruit away from even being cometitive, but that said, there has been no real progress, consistend dependable progress, and I have reached the point where I don't believe we have to settle for anything less.

So please, don't argue about Mangino, or not Mangino, we have such bigger fish to fry, our problems are existential: do we want a division one football team or not.

Rock Chalk

Bob Bailey 3 weeks, 2 days ago

The players we recruited were good fb players. The coaches don't know how to use them! Please don't give up on our current roster. They have a lot more talent than they have been permitted to use.