Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Daniel Wise delivered fiery post-game speech on ‘the truth’ after TCU shutout

Kansas defensive tackle Daniel Wise catches a break during practice on Friday, Aug. 18, 2017 at the grass fields adjacent to Hoglund Ballpark.

No doubt experiencing the same emotions as many Kansas football fans following the Jayhawks’ second consecutive blowout/shutout defeat, exasperated redshirt junior defensive tackle Daniel Wise had seen enough by the end of a 43-0 loss Saturday at TCU.

As KU’s players huddled up afterward in the visiting locker room at Amon G. Carter Stadium, Wise’s frustrations boiled to the point that the captain from Lewisville, Texas, felt inspired to address his teammates with "the truth."

Speaking with media members Tuesday for the first time since his impassioned words behind closed doors, Wise explained he noticed too many Kansas players hadn’t taken matters seriously enough.

“It’s not going to feel the best,” he said of witnessing Jayhawks fall short in that category, when team captains such as Joe Dineen, Jeremiah Booker and Dorance Armstrong Jr., as well as others who have “been here for a while,” seem to have more invested in the team’s performances and the perception of the program.

Podcast episode

KU Sports Hour

Comparing post-Mangino KU football teams

On this episode of the KU Sports Hour, hosted by KU football beat writer Benton Smith, the KUsports.com staff discusses KU’s 43-0 loss to TCU. Topics include: Ten horrible KU football statistics (open), comparing the teams of the post-Mangino era (starting at 19:25) and the KUsports.com football mailbag — cage ...

Download podcast

“Some guys might not take it as serious … I’m not quite sure why,” Wise said. “But we just try to not harp on it too much, but let them know, ‘Hey, this is a game we’re all trying to have a future in,’ and just try to get them on the same page as we are. Not trying to be too brash or be too negative, but just try to talk to those guys one-on-one.”

Teammates who witnessed Wise’s message after KU (1-6 overall, 0-4 Big 12) lost its sixth straight game shared their appreciation for his words.

“There’s always that frustration after a game,” sophomore nickelback Bryce Torneden said. “But I think Daniel just stepped up and made it visceral for everyone. He kind of said what everyone was thinking and put it out on the line, and we’ve just got to take it and run with it. He’s obviously a great leader and that’s why he stepped up and said the things that needed to be said.”

At the heart of Wise’s speech, Torneden shared, was a straightforward directive: “We can’t get used to this.”

“This losing thing, we’ve got to change some things, whatever it may be, we can’t just keep going through the motions,” Torneden related of Wise’s post-loss address. “Just be better. The coaches aren’t the problem. We’re the problem. We’ve got to do everything better. We’ve got to practice harder, things like that.”

Considering the past three Saturdays since KU’s bye week have resulted in a 65-19 loss to Texas Tech, a 45-0 beating at Iowa State and the 21-yard TCU debacle, Kansas quarterback Peyton Bender wasn’t surprised to hear Wise speak up.

“I think it was just a culmination of the last few weeks, just kind of built up, and a poor display on Saturday kind of flipped a switch,” Bender said. “That’s the first time he’s been pretty upset and addressed the team after a game with some strong words for us. But I think it was good. He’s a guy who plays his tail off every play, and just to see his frustration means we’ve got to do better as a team for those guys.”

A fellow captain of Wise on the defensive line, junior Armstrong said the vibe in the locker room in Fort Worth, Texas, set the stage for a leader to step up and say something.

“I’m pretty sure he’s tired of losing, just as much as everybody else,” Armstrong said

The words from Wise that registered most with Armstrong were performance-based.

“Stop talking and actually be about action,” Armstrong shared. “A lot of guys walk around here and say this, say that. But their action doesn’t match it, and I think that’s something we’re actually kind of tired of.”

The heat of the moment might have brought on a more extreme form of leadership, but Wise says team captains, and players such as Ben Johnson and Hakeem Adeniji, try to take a collective approach to get everyone on the same page at all times.

Wise said no single point in the TCU loss or afterward in particular stirred him to articulate his frustration.

“Just a passionate message that guys need to hear. Just make sure that guys are still uplifted, keeping their heads high,” he explained. “And the truth.”

The fiery defensive lineman hopes with five games remaining in what has been a season that has failed to live up to internal expectations, the players will “keep fighting, keep swinging.”

Bender thinks that post-game moment can only help Kansas, leading into this week’s Sunflower Showdown at Memorial Stadium (2 p.m. kickoff, FOX Sports 1), versus Kansas State (3-4, 1-3).

“The core of his message is just the play that we’ve shown is unacceptable. We’ve got to be better,” Bender said. “The play was unacceptable in my opinion, as well, sure as it was the whole offense. But sometimes a guy saying something like that can spark a team. I think it was good for us. I think it will help us work harder this week to prepare for Saturday.”

Comments

Lewis Mitchell 1 year, 10 months ago

Good for him! With the clear lack of leadership from the coaching staff, it's up to the guys actually playing the game to step up and motivate each other.

David Kemp 1 year, 10 months ago

Nice gesture but seems like too little too late. Why does it take beating after beating to get someone to wake up. No team in the last 10 years has been this undiciplined. Listen to podcast and there was a comment on how Justin Thornton was angry at the attitude on the sidelines of the tcu game. The body language didn't reflect the demeanor of a humiliated team.

Jim Goodmiller 1 year, 10 months ago

Here is the truth...players are late to practice. Some have been late to games. The attitude is down. Beaty doesn’t like Stanley and thus doesn’t like to play him. Why, cause Stanley challenges him. Bender has a nice arm but has no running ability. Meechum is lost as OC. 3 and out in a hurry up isn’t working. All we are doing is putting the defense in a horrible position.

As much as I like or Beaty as a person, he has lost the team. There is no discipline. No passion and the results show it. Pay the $1.8 M and hire a new coach. I hate saying that, but until we get someone in to change the tempo, we will get the results we are seeing. I didn’t like Mangino but I’m not asking him to be my buddy. He won games. We need a program builder, not a good assistant up and comer. PJ Fleck would have been great, but he’s gone. No easy answers, but the truth needs to come out.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 10 months ago

Not challenging you, but is it a guess players have been late to practice or is this something you know for sure? That’s a pretty BIG issue if that’s the case.

Titus Canby 1 year, 9 months ago

I was wondering the same thing. Is that really true or is it fake news? When I was in grade school, a kid would get kicked off the team for showing up late for a game.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 10 months ago

Glad someone besides the fans are pissed off. Is this the beginning of Beaty losing the players for good? Or does this give them the spark they need? Or maybe it won’t a difference at all. Guess we’ll find out Saturday.

Barry Weiss 1 year, 10 months ago

John, I don't think it will make a difference at all. This team has quit.

Matthew Gaylor 1 year, 10 months ago

"Wise explained he noticed too many Kansas players hadn’t taken matters seriously enough."

Isn't that a coaching thing? If players are just going through the motions, and are happy just being on scholarship and losing by 40+, isn't that on the coaches for not being hard on them? It seems like the culture hasn't changed much. Players are allowed to be absolutely terrible, and there's no repercussions for their play. I personally would love to see a coach take a player not performing out of the game, and put them on the bench. If the next guy below isn't as good, but puts out their best effort, you likely are going to see them perform better or equal to the guy putting out 50% effort, but is more talented. At some point, you have to change the culture, and that's not happening and hasn't happened with Beaty.

David Kemp 1 year, 10 months ago

Watch. HCBS on sidelines with his players. You don't perform you get a butt chewing and a spot on the bench. Look at those players. They look upset with themselves and when they go back in they don't make the same mistake twice. This program needs a new direction with a diciplnnary coach and one who wants to build character and Fb talent and not be your friend.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 9 months ago

Oh we can't have a coach that gets mad. We need a guy who is nurturing and coddles the players. One that shows them that college is about choices and allows them to make said choices. I mean we we can't have a guy in here that gets fired up, this is football. We should probably be wearing pink uniforms with floral helmets. I bet we could actually play in shorts with flags if we really pushed for it! Maybe have mandatory 20 minutes of meditation in between quarters and possibly offer counseling for those who feel they aren't quite as good so they don't have some sort of life-long emotional trauma due to any litany of things caused because they didn't get a ribbon or to play in the Big12 title game. And don't get me started on this keeping score crap! So unfair! I think we really need to revisit this at the rules meeting at the conclusion of the season. Or we could hire a coach with a sack and a backbone! Either way I'm good. One with some passion and some fire!

Gerry Butler 1 year, 9 months ago

Well we have seen what happens when a Coach is hard on these players. He get's fired Coach Mangino was hard - real hard on these players , he wouldn't take no crap off them. - -I remember a time when it was either an interception or kickoff return by a KU player for a TD the kid show boated trying to show up the other team some - Mangino wouldn't have none of that- grabbed the kid by the face mask on the sideline, and all we heard was about how he better not be placing hands on the silver spooned babies- -how he was to hard , cussing them and such. Oh those are my babies don't hurt them, don't touch my baby -- News Flash - -Football is a contact physical sport you don't like the Coach touching your silver spooned baby - -then get them the hell out of the program. Mangino had us headed the right way and we ran him off. - -NO way would he ever come back here. -Good luck finding ANYONE that will take on the dumpster fire

Chris Bailey 1 year, 9 months ago

You do realize I was being completely facetious right? I fully expect the coach to get in their faces and if they don't like it then go home and cry to mommy.

Tim Orel 1 year, 9 months ago

We would still have Mangino as our coach if he just did that to his players, but when he was doing it to a high school football referee at a game and when he was doing it to KU employees who weren't under him - that's a major part of what led him to be fired. He couldn't control himself outside of football and that led to the push from outside the football program to get him canned.

I don't know if he's learned boundaries yet, but I would be willing to try him out. I don't think this program is going to survive much longer on the present course.

Gerry Butler 1 year, 9 months ago

Well you can will all you want - -Hell would freeze over before Coach would EVER come back here. - -It's people like who you talk about that also gave Coach hell about his weight - -making fun of his size and such - -To that I call BS. what's his size have anything to do with his coaching ability - I don't blame him at all

Tim Orel 1 year, 9 months ago

I never once criticized his size.and for you to suggest I did is offensive. Take your straw man and step back from the computer.

Drew Matthews 1 year, 10 months ago

Good for him and for the team. Sometimes you need a swift kick in the butt from someone you know and respect to perform better. When I was an athlete at Kansas I gave out a few talks like this and I always remember our team performing better and with more passion. Good job Daniel and Rock Chalk!

Bryan Mohr 1 year, 10 months ago

It won't make a difference. The problem is larger than some guys not being fired-up enough. I feel sorry for the players. It's not their fault.

Steve Corder 1 year, 9 months ago

Sorry, but I disagree that the players are not at fault. The coach is critical, yes, but there are quitters out there and that is on the player.

I can't tolerate quitters!

Jim Goodmiller 1 year, 10 months ago

@johnfitzgerald. Totally understand your point. What I will say is this is from inside the program.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 10 months ago

Well that’s not good. Players being late to practice and games is 100% on the coaches.

Joe Norgay 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm not just spamming the above link btw. It's in support of what Jim said above.

HCDB was a failure. It's obvious to everyone. And who was the guy that hired HCDB? The guy we need to get rid of.

David Kemp 1 year, 9 months ago

Count it,8 minutes ESPN spent discussing how bad KU fb is yesterday. “Ku fb is the most incompetent thing I’ve seen in major sports. A nowhere tumbleweed” This is not the description of a rebuilding program. We must find a bonified coach and pay whatever it takes. It’s not fair to Beatty to think he can possibly change this. The damage is irreparable.

Barry Weiss 1 year, 9 months ago

yes, the articles on Beatty are stacking up. The one I just read reamed KU for giving him a raise and contract extension and all we have gotten for our 1.6 million is a 1-6 season that has stalled out. We are taking a beating in the press as well as on the field now.

Tim Orel 1 year, 9 months ago

That's also showing up in recruiting, as they keep rescinding commitments to KU.

Barry Weiss 1 year, 9 months ago

wow,, pretty embarrassing to be called Le Batard then called KU football a “nowhere tumbleweed program that has no chance. It is the most incompetent thing that I’ve seen in major sports.”

Bob Bailey 1 year, 9 months ago

Maybe he wanted to encourage them for next year. There seems to be no way not change some coaching.